Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Watched the music video for "Take my breath away."

I know it was the mid-80s, but I was not expecting it to be so heavily influenced by Beyond Thunderdome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx51eegLTY8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Cruise really felt like he was channeling Robert Redford during his thank you message.

Or at least looked a lot like him, but it was unexpected and a nice touch.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnhZUZVw_Bg

Neat little behind the scenes of the first movie. It might be pushing Tom Cruise's character, but he looked like the only one who really really enjoyed flying in the F-14. Isn't surprising considering he became a pilot later on.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah, but a Corsair would be more appropriate and sexier.

An Grumman F4F Wildcat or F6F Hellcat would have been more appropriate for a former F-14 Tomcat pilot.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

TraderStav posted:

I mean, they are. But I hear your point. My grandfather was a drill Seargent at Parris Island and he definitely made the distinction very clear.

Drill instructor. The Army has Drill Sergeants.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

TG:Maverick is accused of ripping of Iron Eagle II, but I had know idea how deep that went:

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why the loving gently caress is something awful praising this poo poo movie? Literally ALL OF THE ENEMY SOLDIERS ARE FACELESS. AND NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAVE LIVES, FAMILIES, OR LOVED ONES. but OUR soldiers (read:amercians) in this movie have them. Why? Because "the enemy aren't people". But functionally, the plot is NOT IN ANY WAY DIFFERENT from Triumph Of The Will or Birth Of An Nation. "The enemy doesn't have remorse, emotions, or logic, therefore they must die." That is word by word the fascist handbook. Just because they don't say "it's brown people" doesn't mean it isn't still an racist, fascist, sexist movie that isn't any different from something hitler would've made if given a film crew.

And a good chunk of the money given to this movie will be given to the scientologists who make sure their detractors "disappear", fact.

sa, if you WANT people to stop loving voting in manchin's and trumps, then stop loving rewarding hollywood and start loving donating to your local loving antifa instead. It would do better to saving our skins from WW3 than watching some dumb loving tom cruise flick.

You guys don't pull loving punches when hating on superheroes? Why is a loving flighter jet any different? Because there's only been 1 flighter jet movie in the last decade instead of 30? Who gives a poo poo. Jets are enemies of peace. Treat them like poo poo like you would treat nukes like poo poo. Just because guns and punches and kicks are more popular in movies these days doesn't make it original or an triumph of "originality".

No one's made a movie where the heroes use Gas Chambers and Nukes to kill brown (or maybe asian, considering people don't realize that Iran DOES in fact have snow. Look it up.) people in the last few decades, either. But we aren't rooting for that to make a come back, are we?

Has anyone ever made a movie where the heroes use Gas Chambers?

I mean, technically the Middle East is SW Asia, but no one really refers to the people who live there as "Asians."

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

There was a heroic use of a nuke in the movie Stargate, so I guess there's that.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

live with fruit posted:

But nukes don't work in ID4 so clearly Emmerich saw the error of his ways.

I think that's more homage to the 50s War of the Worlds movie, where nukes didn't work either.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Maxwell Lord posted:

There are certain degrees to the argument, Top Gun is a generalized propaganda for the MIC but it doesn't rise (or sink, if you prefer) to the level of something like Birth of a Nation which explicitly states "We shouldn't have given black people the vote". Like it does portray a situation where US military action against another country is justified and then the question is whether such a thing could ever be true and- like, it's possible. Maybe it hasn't happened since 1941 but I'm no historian.

And like I'm pretty sure it's not gonna lead to WW3.

Non-proliferation is a laudable goal.

That said, I don't know how anyone could say the movie is sexist/racist. The US Navy is shown to be an egalitarian place, the whole organization has women and minorities at all levels doing all the jobs. It's majority white, but so is the country.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

TheNamedSavior, do you feel nuclear proliferation is a good thing?

Should more countries have The Bomb?

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

ilmucche posted:

They made the enemies faceless and stateless to avoid pissing off other countries hth

I pretended they were Canadian and the facility was in the rockies, it all fits. The snow, the mountains, launching off a carrier to get there.

Should have had a Maple leaf on the F-14.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

War machines are good. Should've made the bad guys explicitly Russian so I could loudly cheer when they get blown up.

Have you seen the original Red Dawn?

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

TheNamedSavior posted:

It's literally a movie that glorifies a trumpian dudebro idology that leads to hundreds of innocent children being slaughtered every day, but its okay that the movie leads to a nuclear war because the airplanes looked cool.

gently caress that.

How is it going to lead to a nuclear war? Maverick literally destroyed the enemy countries ability to produce nuclear weapons.

Keep in mind thousands of Iraqi children were killed due to sanctions in the '90s under the Clinton administration.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

If you want to see a movie about Hang-Man's grandpa in Korea, this looks pretty good.

Better CGI for the flying scenes than Emmerich's Midway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDEGP6VjYY

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

ilmucche posted:

It was canada. All the signs are there.

Just enjoy the loving plane movie. The only reasonable complaint about it is that it wasn't ambiguously gay enough because they spent too much time on jennifer connelly and not enough time making rooster and hangman rivals

There's only so much they could cram in the movie, but I felt like the new generation of pilots got short shrift compared to Tom Cruise.

Though the original didn't spend much time on the group either, you only really got to know Maverick, Goose, and Iceman.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

ruddiger posted:

She should’ve dropped his rear end at the end of the movie but we live in a post-Captain America and Iron Man get their cake and eat it too world so of course the guy who is envied for killing enemy combatants is going to gently caress the hot girl while commentless discarding the love interest from top gun 1.

Fighter pilots almost always have hot wives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Majkol posted:

It's wild that it's the new Top Gun movie of all things that brings back the dreaded "it's just a movie, don't think about it too much dude". Like the responses in this thread are mostly "you are yucking my yum dude". Like can't I just express my opinion? Yeah, I am passionate about this. My country is also a huge exporter of arms and I loving hate it and regularly attend protests, as powerless as they are. There has been a massive influx of Syrian refugees in Europe that no-one is talking about. My government is now basically refusing real help to refugees from the Ukraine conflict, much less brown people from the Middle East who now have to sleep on benches in the park around the main train station in Prague and eat from dumpsters while local groups like Food not Bombs are more overworked than ever and loving winter is around the corner.

America is currently officially at war in Syria, Somalia and Yemen. Unofficially, well that's anybody's guess.

Whether or not propaganda works or not ( no-one is actually stating that people are too dumb to distuingish fantasy from reality ), this is propaganda. And it's saying that these people, whose entire job, nay calling ( "I'm a fighter pilot Ice. It's not what I am, but who I am ), is killing other people in very sophisticated ways, are loving cool.

It's interesting you bring up Commando, because just like Commando ( a more interesting movie at the least ) the unreality is pretty important. Because I bet Commando wouldn't be half as enjoyable if it were set in Chile and Arnold personally executed Allende and similarly, you wouldn't think this movie was so good if it were set in Vietnam and Tom Cruise literally played John McCain dropping agent orange, bombing bridges, schools and whatnot. Lots of your fellow compatriots would of course think it's even cooler but lots of people would probably stop themselves and be like, hold on, this is hosed up. The distance that this movie places between real world places, people and consequences is the point. It's a nice safe fantasy, reassuring the viewer that the world is in some ways still the way it ought to be. Yeah, we now have women and black and brown people in the military, but we can still rely on them to bomb the right people when called upon.
In a post-Iraq era, with everything that has come out, with all the consequences, all the dead. Well I guess they didn't die on your soil so that's that. Because at the end of the day, you are literally the most comfortable people on the planet, but you still need these little comfort pieces telling you that it's ok, there are bad people in the world but we have not only the biggest, but also the coolest and now most diverse military in the world, who will save you. And those among you, who see through the evil loving bulshit just shrug and tell the rest of us that is just a movie.

How do you feel about the time half the Ghostbusters invaded your country?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=765b-T5P450