Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Once. Twice if you count Chapter 3 and don't bee-line for Argenta. And I guess 3 times if you count the tutorial.

The game really nails the "person who yells orders" vibe for the Officer archtype and I love it. I'm too important to be getting in there mixing it up with heretics. I yell at my crew to do that and every so often take a pot shot with my fancy rear end hunting rifle like the Imperial aristocrat I am/have become.

the officer class is a masterstroke. absolutely love it. not sure I would even have liked the game that much if it weren't for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Alchenar posted:

I'm most of the way through chapter 2 now and experiencing the very Owlcat feeling of now knowing enough about the game to be spotting my suboptimal build choices. Not that it matters because the party has enough raw firepower to deal with anything I've faced this far quite easily, but my PC is an officer grand strategist who 99% of the time does not actually make an attack in his turn and is just buffing/giving extra shots to the team.

ilitarist posted:

I know that feeling. In my case it's intensified by the fact I made Ireleth Bounty Hunter and Bounty Hunter abilities don't work for me for some reason, at all. And Ireleth is still extremely powerful and murders everybody with her sniper shots. It's double frustration: a mechanic is clearly not working but you also don't need it really on a higher diffculty setting. I'm hoping 1.2 will help with that so that the basic mechanics are functional.

Just talk to the guy on your ship who lets you respec
also Assassin is a great class for anyone you would've given Bounty Hunter to

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Relevant Tangent posted:

Just talk to the guy on your ship who lets you respec
also Assassin is a great class for anyone you would've given Bounty Hunter to

See, you are right and this is probably what I should have done. This game welcomes this approach, just like using the cheat mod to evade other design problems. But something in me is very screaming when I give up in front of a game like that.

Seriously though my Pascal is an Assassin and I could probably do with whole team made of officers and assassins. My MC is Officer/Strategist and I struggle to find a good use of his abilities. They are kind of cool on paper but I rarely get the chance to do something noticeable with them. I guess Arch-Militant is very cool too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eh, in the end it didn't matter. Just finished the game, by the end of Act 3 I'd thoroughly broken the combat system with a mix of Cassia blasting/Crowd controlling things and Ulfar getting given turn after turn to build up versatility and murder everything, often in Round one. The Rogue Trader game system just isn't very good. I feel like the game really fell apart during/after Chapter 3. Everything gets very rushed, the maps get very small, quests lose all depth. The game follows very suspiciously similar plot beats to Wrath of the Righteous but the story is an absolute mess that's not satisfying at all and feels very rushed - it would be generous it feels like the game suffered a lot from Covid but these are classic Owlbear complaints.

I would like more 40k RPGs because the setting is so incredibly rich, but really I want something more like CDPR making an Inquisitor game than this.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Alchenar posted:

Eh, in the end it didn't matter. Just finished the game, by the end of Act 3 I'd thoroughly broken the combat system with a mix of Cassia blasting/Crowd controlling things and Ulfar getting given turn after turn to build up versatility and murder everything, often in Round one. The Rogue Trader game system just isn't very good. I feel like the game really fell apart during/after Chapter 3. Everything gets very rushed, the maps get very small, quests lose all depth. The game follows very suspiciously similar plot beats to Wrath of the Righteous but the story is an absolute mess that's not satisfying at all and feels very rushed - it would be generous it feels like the game suffered a lot from Covid but these are classic Owlbear complaints.

I would like more 40k RPGs because the setting is so incredibly rich, but really I want something more like CDPR making an Inquisitor game than this.

Nah

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

ilitarist posted:

My MC is Officer/Strategist and I struggle to find a good use of his abilities. They are kind of cool on paper but I rarely get the chance to do something noticeable with them. I guess Arch-Militant is very cool too.

Give other folks turns and put out rear zones where they'll be shooting from while putting Frontline zones under the big enemies to be shot. Officer/GS is a giant multiplier to Arch-Militant and (to a lesser extent) overall damage output.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Give other folks turns and put out rear zones where they'll be shooting from while putting Frontline zones under the big enemies to be shot. Officer/GS is a giant multiplier to Arch-Militant and (to a lesser extent) overall damage output.

Yeah it's this. You have one class who's thing is 'I do exponentially more damage with every action I take in combat' and another class who's thing is 'here fellow party member, have some more action points' and together that's a hammer big enough to trivialise every combat encounter.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, it works, it's effective, but it's not as cool what some other guys can do. Like I have 2 operatives in the party so that they can quickly put a lot of vulnerabilities on some enemy and then we use it to give the whole party defensive buffs for the rest of the combat. In any other game I'd be fine with officers and strategists, but here everyone else gets to do extremely cool stuff so the bar is high.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ilitarist posted:

See, you are right and this is probably what I should have done. This game welcomes this approach, just like using the cheat mod to evade other design problems. But something in me is very screaming when I give up in front of a game like that.

Seriously though my Pascal is an Assassin and I could probably do with whole team made of officers and assassins. My MC is Officer/Strategist and I struggle to find a good use of his abilities. They are kind of cool on paper but I rarely get the chance to do something noticeable with them. I guess Arch-Militant is very cool too.

That's because the combat zones mechanism is completely pointless. About halfway though the game I stopped using most of the abilities in the game. There's an incredibly complex system in there that just doesn't really work unless you're very disciplined in pushing all your buttons.

I did try using melee characters as well and maybe that's the way to do a more challenging run. But as it stands, operative, bounty hunter, grand strategist, warrior, vanguard and master tactician give you a lot of buttons to push that don't do a whole lot. Or they do, but it's just not needed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aramoro posted:

That's because the combat zones mechanism is completely pointless. About halfway though the game I stopped using most of the abilities in the game. There's an incredibly complex system in there that just doesn't really work unless you're very disciplined in pushing all your buttons.

I did try using melee characters as well and maybe that's the way to do a more challenging run. But as it stands, operative, bounty hunter, grand strategist, warrior, vanguard and master tactician give you a lot of buttons to push that don't do a whole lot. Or they do, but it's just not needed.

They are more or less buffs/debuffs you can move 1 at a time, the various strategems can let you do some crazy stuff but if you are at the point you need to eke out every advantage of the system you're probably playing on the hardest custom difficulty possible.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
My Warrior/Arch-Militant was terrifyingly good at carving up enemies. Better than Ulfar. With Argenta it was situational whether the Warrior/AM could outdo her Heavy bolter.

Don't sleep on melee characters as long as you have Yrliet or someone else with long reach to eliminate hard to get to enemies.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

pentyne posted:

They are more or less buffs/debuffs you can move 1 at a time, the various strategems can let you do some crazy stuff but if you are at the point you need to eke out every advantage of the system you're probably playing on the hardest custom difficulty possible.

Yeah, it's clear the person you were answering to has a problem with the game balance in general. Owlcat games have always been criminally close to joining the list of RPGs I replay repeatedly, and in this game I am intrigued by higher difficulties requiring me to actually use all of the tools. Usually I am a kind of a lazy minmaxer who would try to play the game in the most effective way even if it's boring but here I enjoy the abilities of many classes and use them cause I like stacking modifiers.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Aramoro posted:

I tried exactly one GS character. After one combat I reverted to an earlier save. gently caress if I'm going to be moving zones around and pressing button after button.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pershing posted:

I tried exactly one GS character. After one combat I reverted to an earlier save. gently caress if I'm going to be moving zones around and pressing button after button.

Tbf, the only real major benefit of the GS is always going first. The zones are like an afterthought, plus with Cassia you are not even going to bother to take a single GS talent as you take almost nothing but navigator talents.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My GS just drops down the zone that reduces enemy dodge reduction (and action point cost for attacks once you get the talent) and doubles its effectiveness with the active ability so my sniper assassin one-shots even more things while standing in it. It's Pasqal, so he spends the rest of the fight hanging out in the zone murdering enemies with plasma.

The talent that refunds action points when you use multiple abilities on a zone is also pretty nice. Pasqal can use every single buff and debuff while also making an aoe attack.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I used frontline and the talent that lets someone standing in a zone move it so that Ulfar could run around the battlefield getting a 25+% boost to his dps wherever he needed to hit people.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I keep telling myself that the next patch is the one where I'm finally gonna actually play the game and finish it. Next patch...

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

pentyne posted:

Tbf, the only real major benefit of the GS is always going first. The zones are like an afterthought, plus with Cassia you are not even going to bother to take a single GS talent as you take almost nothing but navigator talents.

the automatic free reload zone is unbelievably good

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I keep telling myself that the next patch is the one where I'm finally gonna actually play the game and finish it. Next patch...

Same, DeadFatDuckFat, same.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Coming from the tabletop RPG, man they have overcomplicated things for this game. Don't quite get why attack damage went from (Weapon damage) - ({Armour - Penetration} + {Toughness - Felling}) to this system where two 'heavily armoured' units behave completely differently because one has Deflection and one has Armour, and AP weapons like meltaguns do nothing against Deflection.

I have a mechanics question - when an ability lasts 'until the start of your next turn', or 'for one round', how does that interact with extra mini-turns?
Like, if it goes:
  • Cassia: Take It Down -> Abelard: Endure.
  • Jae: Finest Hour -> Abelard.
  • Abelard
  • Enemy
  • Cassia
When does Endure time out? When Abelard has his next mini-turn (on Jae's turn)? When he has his next real turn? When it's Cassia's next turn (because that was the PC slot he applied it on)? And does this differ for 'until the start of your next turn' abilities vs 'for one round' abilities?

Are there any UI mods or config settings I've missed that make it easier to see what effects characters have on them as well? There's the mini-list that shows of like 4, but given every character rapidly ends up with like 10+ abilities on them it's a real pain to figure out who hasn't had Prescience yet, and it doesn't help it lets you recast buffs on people who already have them.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Talkie Toaster posted:

I have a mechanics question - when an ability lasts 'until the start of your next turn', or 'for one round', how does that interact with extra mini-turns?

I'm pretty sure the moment you start controlling a character you get all the "on turn start" effects, which means all the "till the start of next turn" effects end. This is at the very least true for buffs, which can be quite annoying, cause some characters get "mini-turns" conditionally without your direct command.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Well, I am in Chapter 4 on my first playthrough and it looks like I've finally managed to hit a softlock bug (doing Jae's quest disables the only exit from the bar) so I guess it's time to wait for another patch. Or maybe I could roll back to an earlier save and try resolving the main conflict on the station first, in case the order matters. Other than that I've been enjoying the game even through it has given me the most level-up paralysis in any RPG I've ever played.

If there are a bunch of buffs/debuffs I think the only way is to right click on them and read through the list. For Endure, the buff will actually say the duration is "1 round" so if you activate during an extra turn in round 1 it should fall off at the start of Abelard's full turn in round 2. Testing it now gives me the following:

Round 1
Give extra turn to Abelard
Abelard extra turn: activates Endure
Abelard full turn: pass (endure still active at end of full turn)

Round 2
Abelard extra turn: pass (endure still active at end of extra turn)
Abelard full turn (endure finally no longer active at start of this turn)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Promethium posted:

Well, I am in Chapter 4 on my first playthrough and it looks like I've finally managed to hit a softlock bug (doing Jae's quest disables the only exit from the bar) so I guess it's time to wait for another patch. Or maybe I could roll back to an earlier save and try resolving the main conflict on the station first, in case the order matters. Other than that I've been enjoying the game even through it has given me the most level-up paralysis in any RPG I've ever played.

If there are a bunch of buffs/debuffs I think the only way is to right click on them and read through the list. For Endure, the buff will actually say the duration is "1 round" so if you activate during an extra turn in round 1 it should fall off at the start of Abelard's full turn in round 2. Testing it now gives me the following:

Round 1
Abelard extra turn: activates Endure
Abelard full turn: pass (endure still active at end of full turn)

Round 2
Abelard extra turn: pass (endure still active at end of extra turn)
Abelard full turn (endure finally no longer active at start of this turn)

I'm normally the last person to suggest skipping party member content but Jae's companion quests are probably the worst in the game, I'd just skip it.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Is there a resource for character builds/trap options/things that straight up dont work(the ol' owlcat special) the thread can recommend?
New to Rogue Trader and feeling overwhelmed by lists.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Is there a resource for character builds/trap options/things that straight up dont work(the ol' owlcat special) the thread can recommend?

I avoided anything to do with status effects and just stacked up anything that was +damage, -armour, more AP.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

I'm normally the last person to suggest skipping party member content but Jae's companion quests are probably the worst in the game, I'd just skip it.

I did like the bureaucracy one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

I did like the bureaucracy one.

That may have been the most lore accurate W40K moment in the entire game.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Things have changed quite a bit with patches I doubt anything online is accurate or up to date aside from any character builds posted recently.

The only real weird thing is building frontline melee/tanks the stat preference is toughness, agility, willpower, with strength as the lowest priority and only if wanting to take heavy armor. Playing a psyker is sort of like multi-classing with a corresponding difficulty if trying to balance equally with the archetypes.

I'd say you have to really fail to engage with the game mechanics to build a trap character. There's obviously some talents you benefit from taking earlier, and you don't want to take generic talents during the archetype talent options phase. You don't need every single weapon proficiency, just 1-2, and since some of the party members are completely unique you almost always take their specialty talents/abilities at the expense of anything else.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 3, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Advancing the bureaucracy scene by opening fire into the crowd was perfect lmao

Anyway I always dump the strategist zones on the first turn then forget. The extra damage is good for Yrilet who rarely if ever has to move anyway. I probably would do more but by the time Pasqal is through his attack, mechandrite, ability loop I'm out of points for the turn anyway

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

DaysBefore posted:

Anyway I always dump the strategist zones on the first turn then forget. The extra damage is good for Yrilet who rarely if ever has to move anyway. I probably would do more but by the time Pasqal is through his attack, mechandrite, ability loop I'm out of points for the turn anyway

The talent that refunds your ap when you buff the same zone multiple times works multiple times per turn, so you can get all of the buffs for a single ap.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

This def ruled lol. I assume that quest is fixed and completeable now?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

this is the right way to use gs zones.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

This def ruled lol. I assume that quest is fixed and completeable now?

Yeah I just did it normally..ish :v: didnt fire into the crowd but didn't sit around waiting either

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Xun posted:

Yeah I just did it normally..ish :v: didnt fire into the crowd but didn't sit around waiting either

The best part is everyone staring at you when you tell the servants to make this a waiting area befitting a Rogue Trader. That is the REAL flex.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I liked helping people to speed up the line. Some of the things they needed were really simple so helping them felt rewarding, but I also liked the more over the top ones like a poor academic trying to get permission to marry above hos station so you can just make him a chancellor of a university.

I assume the reprisals the Iconoclast faces in their ending are motivated by challenges to the bureaucracy above all. Daring to stick your head up and do good where everyone can see it is the sort of contradiction the series can only manage with a deus ex machina.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Firing into the crowd just seemed boring when instead you could fulfill requests in increasingly ludicrous ways by simply flaunting your wealth and influence, and then make multiple stoic members of your party do very silly things.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Firing into the crowd just seemed boring when instead you could fulfill requests in increasingly ludicrous ways by simply flaunting your wealth and influence, and then make multiple stoic members of your party do very silly things.

"I am not your Xenos pet , monkeigh" said Yrliet, as she danced for our amusement

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Whoever said Ravor's voice was dog was absolutely right. I feel like the VA was given a different script and description of the character than they have the the game. The accent and cadence are just completely naff.

Whomst among us would read "Cap'n" as "Capt'n?"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The most recent (as in, March) Pathfinder Adventure from the Pathfinder Society had the rogue trader bureaucracy quest in.
I swear.

I know that it's not exactly a new thing - and most people I was playing with thought of the 12 tasks of Asterix first - but it really was so similar to the way it works in Rogue Trader as to feel like it was pinched. Or at least a homage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Taear posted:

The most recent (as in, March) Pathfinder Adventure from the Pathfinder Society had the rogue trader bureaucracy quest in.
I swear.

I know that it's not exactly a new thing - and most people I was playing with thought of the 12 tasks of Asterix first - but it really was so similar to the way it works in Rogue Trader as to feel like it was pinched. Or at least a homage.

That's weirder its in a PF book then being related to the game. The way game dev works and PF publishing unless Paizo and Owlcat were collaborating or somehow sharing design documents its probably a weird coincidence.

The idea of literally dying in line and your descendants taking your spot to pay a parking ticket or something is OG Warhammer humor. Any short story or novel about W40k involving bureaucracy has something completely ridiculous like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's a popular trope. Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams certainly had similar stories in their fantastical worlds. More recently Witcher 3 had a quest like this, but it concentrated more on absurd document requirements and less on the queue.