Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm just happy that Owlcat trying their hands on another IP than Pathfinder. The fact that they are the first to develop a "proper" rpg for Warhammer 40 K is just gravy, as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

NewMars posted:

The thing about ranged and melee is that past a certain point all notions of which is better fly out the window because everything comes down to "do you go first? If so, then win." once you have the right equipment, in the RT system. For instance, one of my players had an ork mek who was able to make a gun that wasted a Greater Demon of Khorne in a single round.
I see no problem with this whatsoever. Hell, it's pretty much on point for the life goal of an Ork Mek, if you ask me. :orks101:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

Chaos are the frickin good guys honest assholes of all the factions. At least they admit that they are doing it for their own pleasure when they burn you to crisp and snort your ashes.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

:hmmorks:

Clear elite Kommando material right there.
He better have a swag purple jacket.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, what I think a lot of people are missing here is that the Imperium may look like a monolithic entity but it's actually a hotbed of schisms, factions, backstabbing and true to all totalitarian tyrannies also a giant pile of hypocrisy.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, is it possible to play as a psyker Rogue Trader or is that off-limits in the PnP material?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Question is how high ranking he is and if it would cause too much of an Inquisitorial stink if a few airlocks would "malfunction" in his general area?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Gosh I hope so :unsmigghh:

That said, as a Puritan of the Ordo Xenos, he shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's Ordo Malleus Radicals you need to watch out for.
"Oh that emancipated lady dressed in ripped robes, chains and holy scriptures? Donīt worry about her, she is my...assistant, sheīs been having a bad cold."

quote:

Interrogators are a step right below Inquisitor, and spacing him might bring the wrath of his patron down on your Trader House. On one hand, much of a Rogue Trader's hard power lies with the Trader, their retinue and most of all, their starship, and a lone Interrogator (or even Inquisitor) and friends will have a very hard time facing all of that directly. On the other hand, the Trader's soft assets (finances, noble contacts and the like) are all contained within the Imperium's institutions proper, and those are definitely within reach of the Inquisition- IIRC, the tabletop game even mentions that if your party rolls badly on acquiring goods, it should be spun as the Inquisition being involved somehow, as opposed to your super-wealthy characters suddenly being unable to purchase a lasgun or something.
True enough, it might even be fun if we can make him sputter and complain impotently while we are off beyond the periphery of the Imperium, doing shady deals and hitting on aliens (in all the right ways :wink:)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Warden posted:

I'm guessing you mean "emaciated", not "emancipated".

Funnier that way tho.
loving phone autocorrect but I wonīt edit it to erase my shame.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Do we have any kind of information on what kind of ship weīll get in Rogue Trader or will we get to choose between different versions?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The subtext of how the Inquisition is described is that it is a conveyer belt of people being recruited, starting out as Puritans, gradually becoming more and more radical as the combination of total freedom and radical challenges pushes them to adopt novel solutions, and eventually becoming corrupted because knowledge of Chaos is inherently corrupting and getting hunted down and executed by a fresh Puritan.
Itīs the Inquisitorial circle of life!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

At least Karl-Franz was elected!
I mean, who wouldnīt elect this fine fellow?
https://twitter.com/baalbuddy/status/1520263129757802498

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I just hope that itīs simply Owlcat being savvy enough to save the introduction of Orks for a later update.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I still hope that weīll get a Ratling sniper companion who also acts as our "special acquisitions" store when we are on the ship.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

I don't know if this was the case at launch, but I checked and based on some forum posts I found, it hasn't been true since at least 2012 (for a game that launched in 2011). I played the Sith Warrior story a couple years ago, and you can't romance Vette without freeing her and removing the collar. Probably still a little weird for those players who didn't free her immediately, but either that was always the case, or Bioware immediately realized they hosed up and changed it within the game's first year.
IIRC you even have the option to bring back the shock collar when itīs time for some hanky panky just to "relive the old days", on Vettes suggestion, of course.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I can't speak in detail, as I've only played 20 hours of Kingmaker or so, but there's several different parts of the writing that I found to be much more interesting in Wrath.

There are a good amount of characters that I found myself intrigued by from the get go. Wenduag, Camellia and Ember have a pretty interesting introduction and figuring out what their deal is was one of the big draws of the game for me, and even the other companions that I found to be less interesting constantly interact with each other, at least with a few lines.

The main story of Wrath was on one hand very big and bombastic, and the whole crusade thing was...ehh...okay, but the personal involvement of your character in the big mystery of the plot, on the other hand, was excellent and had me on the edge of my seat until the end.

Kingmaker, on the other hand, I found to have none of those qualities. At least the first 20 or so hours.
The setup is very...generic, with no interesting hook to pull me in. Same with the companions, they felt fairly cookie-cutter, and they don't talk as much as companions do in Wrath, so I didn't find myself to be interested in any of them what so ever.

I'm not sure what changed between the games but at least for me it made a huge difference. I played through Wrath twice already and I'm planning a third playthrough when the last DLC comes out but I couldn't find it in me to play through much of Kingmaker.

Hopefully Rogue Trader will be more like Wrath than Kingmaker.
Well, considering that Kingmaker were their first game itīd be real strange if the developers didnīt learn some lessons for it when they started to write Wrath.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The Void Born trait that does that only works for abilities, not skill checks. The forge world trait that lets you use Int for Commerce, Persuade, and Coerce is absolutely crazy on an Operative, though. (It's possible to have every lore and social skill besides carouse at 50+, with some of them above 70, before finishing the tutorial.)
Huh, I was thinking about some kind of build that is a bit more active than your character just giving buffs and orders to your teammates and this feels like an interesting all-round solution.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So what is a good class build if I want to be reasonably active and effective in combat while not tanking my social skills?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, Cassia seems to have more mutations than what is commonly expected from a Navigator in her age bracket. Iīm sure that itīs just fine and nothing to worry about.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Okay yeah Cassia loving slaps when you get more Navigator powers on her and use the Guardian staff. Just endlessly stacking buffs for someone (usually Abelard) and endlessly stacking willpower for her. Most of the companions so far seem quite good in their own right, though I’m only done with two of the areas in the first system so I don’t have them all— the worst is Argenta but she’s more feast or famine than anything. When her burst fire hits it obliterates poo poo, but when only one or two do she feels anemic. Hoping there’s some talents I haven’t noticed yet to help with that, or that I get access to some different weapons soon.

The game is just continuing the long, storied tradition of 40k games somehow making bolters feel awful to use. :v:
I donīt know, Space Marine had some pretty sick Bolter action IMHO and Darktide is pretty good at it as well.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, before retiring my Operative that I simply wasnīt feeling I landed in act one and after a few reloads I realized that the state of the different locations changes depending on what order you visit them, which IMHO is a far better solution than the time sensitive quest states that Owlcat had in the Pathfinder games. Has anyone found an "ideal" order to of when to visit the locations?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

The Inquisitor companion hates my Dogmatic MC so much. I’m not going to stop destroying the Chaos artefacts before he can look at them though. Ignorance is strength.
He just wants to uphold the proud Inquisitorial tradition of getting yourself turbomurdered by the very artefact you are supposed to contain or destroy. Stop trying to downplay his culture, man!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I like the complete change your dude has once he's a rogue trader.

Ah yes I'm a void born crime lord who came up from the streets........ What's that I'm a rogue trader? Bow before my nobility peasants!
To be fair, with that background you just changed your title and got hold of a ship, the rest is basically the same :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So what is a good Origin for an Officer? Is Noble the superior choice or are there other origins that plays well into it as well?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Clarste posted:

NPCs with burst fire are especially dumb because they will stand at max range from the enemy (low chance to hit) which is also right behind your squishies (high chance to hit). They are less than useless, they are actively making the battle harder for no reason.
Itīs like playing the OG Fallout with Ian again!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Clerical Terrors posted:

Screw the Lex Imperialis, I have a Really Big Paper
To be fair, itīs not like the Imperial Navy or the Astra Militarium will be able to come over to slap you on the hands for being a naughty little Rogue Trader.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

For me, the big differentiator between WOTR and Kingmaker was a much stronger narrative, with lots of pretty decent side stories and narratives (largely played out along the mythic paths and companion quests). WOTR was a game that - for all its flaws - I just couldn't put down. I fell DEEP into that game and the story of the Crusade and my party's role in it. We were up against Devils and demi-gods and it just ripped from the start.

I dunno, maybe I'm articulating it poorly, but the thing that really grabbed me about WOTR was that it felt really epic in scope - in ways that justified a lot of the rough edges and broken parts. It felt really ambitious, and while they do a great job of captuing the WORLD in Rogue Trader...it just feels like a much smaller, less driven, and fragmented experience to me. I just don't feel anything pulling me along in the way that the grand narrative in WOTR did, and most of the side stories feel similarly basic/thin.
Itīs kind of funny to read your take since pretty much everything you wrote is the reason why I bounced off WotR. Iīve never been to interested in all these grand, epic stories and prefer slightly more grounded and personal narratives. Add to the fact that Iīve never enjoyed the gameplay for Epic scale gameplay in any kind of DnD since I feel it all devolves into enemies with stupidly high resistances and fights that feels like rockettag,

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

I dunno - I feel like there’s a better game here where you strip out most of the ship exploration and colony management and focus in on building out the three “main” planets with more locations and side stories - making more of a KOTOR than a Mass Effect. Kind of par for the course for Owlcat where there’s always like one extraneous set of systems (kingdom management, the crusade, etc) that weighs on the experience.
No thanks, those kind of extraneous systems is why I want to play Owlcat games. Let whatever scrap is left of Bioware handle what you are describing instead.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

This was what I was trying to get at without coffee or breakfast but then everyone came out of the woodwork farting and saying that they are, in fact, nazis.

The number of people who proudly talk about murdering all the non-cis white characters in this game is disturbing. I can't tell who is just really into the lore (whatever that means) and who is just a nazi.
So, would you have been far more comfortable with people talking about blamming Idira if she had been more of a whiter shade of pale?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

If there had been more it would be less noticable but its just the two, both women, who get it real bad. Nobody posts like that about abelard or argenta.
Do you even get a chance to execute Abelard or Argenta, considering that you have pretty much an immediate chance to kill Walking Daemonbomb and Lady "gently caress around and find out"?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, reading about the 2 DLC expansions that gives us new retinue members and supposedly improvement to different aspects of the gameplay kind of makes me think that I should hold off until December this year before trying a full playthrough.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

BG3 has its own version of this problem which is that it's hard to talk about the game without someone busting in to write fanfic about who they hosed and how much they're in love with their videogame wife, and how anyone who doesn't also love their videogame wife is a monster
I think the biggest subset of the "killing sure is great" brigade in BG3 tends to be the dudes bragging how they iced Karlach the moment they met her.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Warhammer is genuinely missing out by not including guys in huge turbans. Those huge turban guys with massive crests who do military dance offs on the India Pakistan border and wear almost identical uniforms and do almost exactly the same drill moves but mega hate each other have big 40K vibes.
Congratulations, you have now given GW the inspiration for the WH40K equivalent of Chaos Dwarves.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

pentyne posted:

Her being a "Cold trader" one response dogmatic option is to put a gun to her head, make her recant all her shady trade deals and give her one more chance to serve the emperor before killing her for xeno heresy.

And that's the nice dogmatic option.
Hey, Xeno smuggling is the purview of the Rogue Trader, just making sure that she understands where we draw the borders in this business relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

I kissed Jae actually... mad?
Hey, I basically did a free OnlyFans for the entire ship, sans one section, when Jae broadcasted us doing the beast with two backs at the loudest volume possible. Well played, I say.