Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I ran the FFG RPG for eight years and I think it is hilarious that they will base a computer game on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, D:OS2 had great encounter design. I think Shadowruns Dragonfall and Hong Kong deserve an honourable mention on that account.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, how buggy is the game for people in the beta? I spent way too many years running games in this incredibly broken system to not take a bite, but this will also be my first release Owlcat.

Also how much do they draw from the official material on the Koronus expanse and the adventure books set there? Because I've got that poo poo tattooed in my brain and I will cheer like a little kid if I can murder Winterscale and Chorda.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CommissarMega posted:

From what I could tell, it is set right after the Great Rift opened (so a little after the 'present' of the tabletop), but there haven't been many changes- the Winterscale and Chorda Dynasties are still around, Vladaym Tocara is still in charge of Footfall, etc.

Oh, awesome! That puts my hype dial way higher.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Arglebargle III posted:

Awww I like the Rak'gol. Gotta have some new horrors every once in a while, as a treat. They're not Tyranid-lite, they're just another in the setting's long line of xenos who have been corrupted by contact with the Yu'Vath or possible the precursor race to the Yu'Vath, since even the Yu'Vath don't seem like they evolved from a normal sentient species. Seems like whichever Lathimon finally got their dynasty curb-stomped by the Inquisition was on the path to discovering the whole deal with why so many diverse xenos tomb worlds share the same cultural markers and patterns of societal collapse but of course never quite made it -- that's for the players to follow up on!

I also like how the Tyrant Star is never explained. The setting has far too much cosmic horror that has been meticulously detailed already. It's the Derleth problem: creating a meticulously detailed cosmic horror backstory is missing the point and deflates the horror.

Oh yeah, I was a big fan of the FFG lines going with more mysterious stuff instead of the overly explained known factors from the codexes. Works a lot better for a RPG, specially when running games for people who are deep in 40K lore.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

I skimmed through it without reading too much text. Final confirmation for something we've all been dreading.

No Orks.

There better be a DLC for 'undred 'undred Teff.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lord Koth posted:

I'm going to note here that the 4th Sphere Expansion is still quite close to the rest of the Empire in galactic terms, being basically directly north on the opposite side of the Maledictum - which still puts it on the opposite side of the galaxy from Calixis. And while maybe one ship somehow theoretically gets flung all the way there instead, that basically passes them near/through the Eye of Terror, which I REALLY don't see going well even if they survive. And given how the rest of the 4th Sphere Tau turned out from their own voyage, I don't see a far longer one through even worse horrors somehow turning out better.

Long and short of it, maybe you do all this, but then you probably end up with an event about encountering an unknown ship type with bugfuck insane blue aliens onboard rather than any sort of recruitable NPC.

Can't the Tau just end up on Calixis/Koronus by exiting from their side of the galaxy and coming back the other like Pac-Man? Kinda feel that should be possible and sensical in 40K lore.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Reviews are in, I'll let someone with more executive function post links, but general takeaway is that they absolutely nailed the setting and reactivity and ship combat is pretty decent. On the other hand it is buggy (expected) and ground combat has too many trash battles and some reviewers don't enjoy it or the levelling systems.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lol, yeah, the Bioware comparison is pretty laughable given their recent output was Andromeda, Anthem and gently caress all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I fully intend to base my captain on Zaphod. Just a charismatic lucky idiot whose goal in life is to have fun and get high and will agree with his advisors to shut them up except when they're killing the vibe.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What are the roles for the companions you get in the early game? Like is there anything not covered that's ideal for the Rogue Trader?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Further Reading posted:

For early game companions - while Cassia is an officer you wanna focus her on navigator stuff so that's a great one for the PC to fill. However early in act 2 you get an officer companion.

Argenta is a solid soldier for mid to close range. A PC can be slightly more optimised but tbh I found I don't really need her once other characters get properly online. Early on I used her for AoE but once I got Cassia's damage stuff online I ended up using her for that and Argenta fell off in usefulness imo.

Pasqal is an operator who pretty naturally goes into grand strategist and is great with plasma weapons. Likewise Abelard is a warrior who naturally goes into vanguard. However as a PC you can be more optimised versions of each.

Idira and Henrix are operator and warrior respectively, but also psykers so you may wanna focus on the psyker stuff. Idira has a little AoE damage from the right staffs but her abilities are single target, buffs and debuffs. Henrix meanwhile has buffs and healing but can eventually be a great melee damage dealer.

With that out of the way, if filling early game gaps is your priority:

* Officer is a pretty good choice. For a new player who hasn't spent hours watching guides I think it's a solid first character as I rely a ton on my PC's officer stuff. A buff focused Cassia could fulfil the same role and you do get an officer early in Act 2 so maybe you can wait, but I definitely feel the extra turns he gives out clutched a bunch of battles.

* Snipers are suuuuper good to get in the early game. There's some synergy with both operator and soldier as a sniper, although you can get the elder operator sniper once you're flying around the galaxy in act 2. You can also just give an officer PC a sniper rifle and have him be a solid single target damage dealer after buffs. My own PC is Voidborn noble officer with a sniper rifle and I thought it was great.

* Pyromancer psyker seems a solid pick in that your other psykers don't start with that option. I've seen both melee and ranged versions of them. I reckon either soldier or warrior you can make a solid AoE character and go with a buffer/officer Cassia. I think my second playthrough will be this.

That's very thorough, thanks!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

People say 'female space marines' but what they really want is beautiful 8 foot tall women with long flowing hair, huge breasts, wearing makeup and being domineering. Not just a slightly different variation of hairless muscular androgynous killing machines.

Space Marines are based off Umbrella Corporation's work on Lady Dimitrescu. The Emperor is nothing but a hack, creating inferior creatures from perfection.

also why is there a 12 gig patch today

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Naramyth posted:

I played the entirety of Rogue Trader without audio.

I’m near the end of Kingmaker without audio.

I’m planning a Wrath run and it won’t have audio.

Whenever I pick up BG3 I’m sure I’ll play it without audio.

You could save several million dollars, several gigs of data, and have actual (patchable) options in dialog trees.

Allegedly BG3 did it well and it has destroyed the studio. It’s probably not worth it.

Someone failed to configure their Soundblaster card to play Time Commando in 1996 and has since been permanently wounded.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Xun posted:

Are there any reasonable build guides out there? I love Pasqal but I cannot figure out a good feeling build for the poor guy.

Also I stuck Cassia on grand strategist and I'm not sure if that was a good move, but it's not like I'm using any AP on non psyker stuff anyway

Patch just rebalanced everything to the point of giving people free respecs, so whatever build guides once were are probably null and void for a while.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I only played the intro section of RT and yeah, I felt there were too many level ups in general, though hopeful that would slow down past the very start. Shame it doesn't, I guess.

Also yeah, DnD 5E levelling up is pretty anemic. It is legit impressive how great a game BG3 is despite being saddled with that system. I'd also prefer games to be in a happy medium between the full clunkcore of Pathfinder/Rogue Trader and the way way way too simplicity of DnD.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 24, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'll weigh in that I feel it is a bad call to do it in JRPG scales for a combat system that's meant to be tactical, it is just bad gamefeel and throws off an intuitive sense of the simulation. Like all the games I'd say have great tactical combat mostly have enemies on a similar scale of health and damage as the ones under player control, with the exception of bosses. I am thinking like XCOM, Troubleshooters, Battle Brothers or the Larian and RadCodex RPGs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There better be the Undred Undred Teef eventually

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pershing posted:

Where are you seeing reports/rumors/etc. about the DLC?

The steam page for the season pass.

First one seems to be more stuff happening on the ship, the December DLC is the one alluding to new areas.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

The game saying that a burst has 0% chance to hit is a test of faith and those who believe are frequently rewarded, amen.

The Emperor provides.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I keep telling myself that the next patch is the one where I'm finally gonna actually play the game and finish it. Next patch...

Same, DeadFatDuckFat, same.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The official RT RPG is hella janky and overcomplicated (and it legit impressed me that the Owlcat adaptation was even jankier), but I had a lot of good fun with it for several years of campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Aramoro posted:

The Only War series is great for RPGs as well, loved those games. Everyone is a kind of guardsman so awful at everything, upto and including being a psyker

Yeah, I think Only War is the iteration of that system that worked the best in aligning mechanics and fiction. Easily the one that I'd houserule the least, and barely, if I were to revisit.