Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Zephro posted:

How will I have Argenta murder 20 heretics by mag-dumping a heavy bolter at 200+ BS before the enemy even gets to act if I can't even spam Bring it Down any more :mad:

The optimal party is clearly now three officers and Argenta with two arch militant mercs. Not quite as good as five/one, but still serviceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

Also, and I hate admitting this, the fact that 1.1 is going to include a 'massive' amount of new VO kind of confirms that the game at 1.0 launch was not complete since I really doubt they suddenly decided to hire and record a ton of VO lines in the last few months.

Baldur's Gate 3 did it.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Apparently, quite a few of the lined they did voice work for did not pass the mustard for Games Workshop so they were cut.
CohCarnage was supposed to voice the Comissar for example

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

Apparently, quite a few of the lined they did voice work for did not pass the mustard for Games Workshop so they were cut.

That would've immediately made me side with the snake monster

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

Wasn't there something else GW came in and stomped on midway through production? They seemed to not care about a ton of stuff, and then suddenly, their company rep told Owlcat to cut/remove something that was worked on for months.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

pentyne posted:

Wasn't there something else GW came in and stomped on midway through production? They seemed to not care about a ton of stuff, and then suddenly, their company rep told Owlcat to cut/remove something that was worked on for months.

The ability to shift your companions' alignments, maybe?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

pentyne posted:

I'm pretty sure Argenta had a planned romance that GW made them take out.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

those bastards

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord_Magmar posted:

BURN THE HERETIC
KILL THE MUTANT
PURGE THE UNCLEAN

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

Also, and I hate admitting this, the fact that 1.1 is going to include a 'massive' amount of new VO kind of confirms that the game at 1.0 launch was not complete since I really doubt they suddenly decided to hire and record a ton of VO lines in the last few months.

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt shipped without all the Act 3 VO localization work finished. They uploaded it with a patch in the first 48 hours before anyone had reached act 3.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Lord_Magmar posted:

Now that I think of, are Sisters of Battle celibate?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I heard it was more about corrupting argenta with your heretic wiles.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Szarrukin posted:

Nah, Ciaphis Cain was amazed that the SoB at the schola he was teaching at was secretly hooking up with the pudgy administratum guy, but not scandalized. He just didn’t understand the dude’s appeal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

I assume it varies wildly across the millions of different orders of Sisters in the Imperium. Just like literally everything else.
The Imperium is big, and pretty much anything is true of it somewhere.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
makes me hope owlcat comes up with their own IP at some point so i can see what they are like fully unleashed

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume it varies wildly across the millions of different orders of Sisters in the Imperium. Just like literally everything else.
The Imperium is big, and pretty much anything is true of it somewhere.

But introduce one female space marine and fandom will loving implode.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Szarrukin posted:

The ones who take vows of celibacy probably, and from a theological/official standpoint they're meant to be the "Wives of the Emperor".

From a practical standpoint no, they're not meant to be celibate, but many likely might be. Similar to Space Marines except less intense because of the differing inductions and procedures.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Baldur's Gate 3 did it.

As I've pointed out before, in spite of all BG3's accolades, it and Rogue Trader show off a pernicious trend in CRPGs where the first parts of the game are well polished, while the latter parts are half-baked.

"BG3 did it" is not an excuse, it's an indictment.

Szarrukin posted:

But introduce one female space marine and fandom will loving implode.

If someone does female space marine, I want it to be a ftm trans allegory. For maximum fandom rage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Space Marines don't even have functional genitals. Even ascribing them to their previous gender is kind of meaningless as they are post humans who don't 'breed true'

All the lore just requires male children as the starting materials because of the "gene seed coding" past the 15th special organ added genitals are basically dead weight that will wither away.

People say 'female space marines' but what they really want is beautiful 8 foot tall women with long flowing hair, huge breasts, wearing makeup and being domineering. Not just a slightly different variation of hairless muscular androgynous killing machines.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Space marines may be masc coded, but really to my mind they are utterly post gender. Their society is not split among those lines, they are not shown to engage in romance or sex and the treatment they receive when they become marines is so radical that it should easily level any differences in gender or indeed sex that aspirants may have had.

I want to see those ftm Space Marine stories, but I specifically want the m to stand for marine.

PS: if you really want to fluster the boys club defenders, tell them that sports science suggests that out of all genders, trans men seem to have the best endurance.

Edit: poo poo, beaten to the punch...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Szarrukin posted:

I respect GW's desire to keep sex in the background in 40K because we really don't want to have to think too hard about what kind of horrible space crimes this society would do if we apply its dystopian themes to sex.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Space Marines, or at least Space Wolves. Are still functional, but that might be because Space Wolves are Vikings in Space. It comes up in one of the books. Certainly the Primarchs the Marines are gene-spliced from are functional.

There's nothing to suggest they don't function. But for most chapters their mental indoctrination definitely is meant to remove that sort of desire from them.

Edit: The Space Marines are genetically sterile, specifically because The Emperor didn't want a race of superhumans who don't need normal humans to reproduce, this might also be why there's no female marines by The Emperor's design.

The Emperor is canonically a boys club supporter too, with some weird opinions on women as far as I remember.

Edit x2: The Space Marines are weirdly patriarchal and vaguely sexist because the Emperor canonically is weirdly patriarchal and vaguely sexist. But also FtM Marines is a very cool idea regardless and I generally agree that rule of cool should trump dumb historical setting details. On the second hand I do like the distinction between the two super emperor inspired Human Factions and the Sisters are a lot cooler than female Space Marines would be imo. On the third Machine Hand, the Primaris technique is weird new Marine Science anyway and could easily be discovered to work on women as safely as men (which is to say 10% survival rate).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 18, 2024

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Found an ability that completely breaks the game

Some item (I forget its name) gives +25 Logic if equipped or you can consume it and make a logic test and if successful, you gain this ability.
From the description, I assumed you get to make one heroic act per combat regardless of momentum. Nope.
You can make as many as you like, in the same turn even. And they don't cost AP. So the only limit is reloads. Also not only does it not cost momentum, it gains it like regular kills meaning whoever is next will also get a heroic act.

So now, as Cassia always gets first turn, she uses Bring it Down to give my sniper Darius 3AP (which is the reload cost of the sniper rifle) and he gets to make 20 guaranteed hits, then it goes back to Cassia who can now use her heroic act Finest Hour to give him a whole new turn, so he reloads and inflicts another 20 guaranteed hits.
Also some other ability he has gives him a chance for extra MP and AP so he can move about the map if the enemies are separated out too far.

Nobody else gets to take a turn.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

To get that ability you need to succeed with the hardest Logic skill check in the game, a check of -167, so...it's pretty fitting all things considered.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's even more broken than I thought. Each heroic act regenerates all my MP. I am flying around the map.
Think I'll take Jae as well on my next mission for double free turn fun.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Mad Wack posted:

makes me hope owlcat comes up with their own IP at some point so i can see what they are like fully unleashed

I mean the rumors about Paizo preventing them from making iconics romanceable turned out not to be true so I don't think it's gonna be that much different.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Clerical Terrors posted:

I mean the rumors about Paizo preventing them from making iconics romanceable turned out not to be true so I don't think it's gonna be that much different.

Not sure if I'd trust one reddit/twiiter post by Paizo over Owlcat's and vice versa but Jaethal should have been romanaceable

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JamMasterJim posted:

Not sure if I'd trust one reddit/twiiter post by Paizo over Owlcat's and vice versa but Jaethal should have been romanaceable

Jaethal was an OC; the Paizo iconic people were clamouring for was Amiri.

Also, I've started a new game and I don't seem to remember a Helbrute planet encounter :gonk:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Jaethal was an OC; the Paizo iconic people were clamouring for was Amiri.

Also, I've started a new game and I don't seem to remember a Helbrute planet encounter :gonk:

I know, but Jeatheal is great and Amirir is dumb.
Yeah, that is one of the nasty surprises to hit at chapter 2 with no warning

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Arglebargle III posted:

I respect GW's desire to keep sex in the background in 40K because we really don't want to have to think too hard about what kind of horrible space crimes this society would do if we apply its dystopian themes to sex.

One Daemonculaba was enough.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

pentyne posted:

People say 'female space marines' but what they really want is beautiful 8 foot tall women with long flowing hair, huge breasts, wearing makeup and being domineering.

that's just the emperor's children, even before the heresy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

People say 'female space marines' but what they really want is beautiful 8 foot tall women with long flowing hair, huge breasts, wearing makeup and being domineering. Not just a slightly different variation of hairless muscular androgynous killing machines.

Isn't that just Sisters of Battle already basically?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

Space Marines are based off Umbrella Corporation's work on Lady Dimitrescu. The Emperor is nothing but a hack, creating inferior creatures from perfection.

also why is there a 12 gig patch today

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
>Bring It Down! can no longer be applied to the same ally more than once per round;
Oh no.
>Additional turns granted by Move, Move, Move ability and Get Into Cover! Talent only allow to use movement abilities and Heroic acts now;
Oh no no.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Space Marines are based off Umbrella Corporation's work on Lady Dimitrescu. The Emperor is nothing but a hack, creating inferior creatures from perfection.

also why is there a 12 gig patch today

Must be the 1.1 update, supposedly to basically finish the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah, I'm just gonna restart my run even though I'm more than half-way through.
My whole party is built around using all the broken poo poo and there's no way I'm respeccing all of them again.

I'd rather start over and see if Daring is still piss easy after this major balance pass.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It’s like 40 pages of notes, I’m only grabbing the “lol holy poo poo finally” ones
https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/news/en/33

quote:

Brand new full voiceover for the Prologue and companion chatter across the game

Reputation thresholds for vendors being lowered by about 20%

Fixed multiple inconsistencies in epilogue slides and cases where slides appeared incorrectly;

A lot of items and abilities that provided flat bonuses to the damage of each shot from burst fire now provide percentage bonus to this damage in order to reduce absurdly powerful multiplication in the endgame

Intelligence now additionally affects the damage of Area of Effect attacks of ranged weapons, increasing their damage by 5% per every point of Intelligence Bonus. As a part of this change, Soldier now has a new talent - Battlefield Demolition. This talent allows the soldier to use Demolition skill instead of Intelligence for calculations of Area of Effect bonus damage. For example, a Soldier with this talent and 70 Demolition will deal 35% additional damage with ranged area of effect attack, same as a character with 70 intelligence;

Enemies across the game have had their stats rebalanced. Overall you should see their stats lowered, particularly Perception and Agility, leading to Dodge becoming more viable. Toughness has been slightly increased, and sometimes you will see a slight increase of Weapon Skill, Strength or Ballistic Skill. Dodge Reduction, Armour Penetration and Parry Reduction bonuses enemies get from their difficulty rank have been significantly reduced. This has been done to compensate for the loss of power from broken combinations that no longer work

Strength Bonus now adds 5% damage per bonus to all one-handed melee weapons (instead of 1 additional damage per bonus). This bonus to damage from Strength is doubled for all two-handed weapons

Ancient Plasma Rifle now correctly deals (2 × INT bonus) damage, down from the crazy (2 × INT) damage. Sorry, Pasqal, Archeotech is powerful, but not THIS powerful!

It is no longer possible to visit a couple of Act IV systems in Act II, facing nearly unbeatable challenges;

Made adjustments to multiple locations for better passage of Space Marines;

Replaced the magnifying glass icon with an interaction icon on the flakk battery at Rykad Minoris - players often had issues finding the quest objective due to this incorrect icon;

Installed extractums are now visible on the global and system map;

Added alphabetic sorting for talents and abilities. Also abilities are now grouped by their source.

Added information about quests and rumours in the system to the system info window on the global map

The fleet vendor will no longer accept Necron trophies (these were a spoiler and were never possible to acquire while still having the access to this vendor anyway);

Cargo loot received from space combat now automatically ends up in the cargo;

Due to the massive changes to the mechanics, all members of the current party in existing saves will receive a special ability, allowing them to perform a one-time free respecialization. The ability will be removed as soon as the party gains access to the usual means of respecialization. The main purpose of the ability is to make sure you can rebuild your characters after the major mechanical changes of this patch in case of not having access to the High Factotum. We have also added one additional free respecialization in the usual dialogue option with the High Factotum;

The primary focus looks to be eliminating 2 officer spamming free turns in one round, on the same character, so unless I'm missing something you'd have to use one Bring it Down on Argenta, and then the next on your PC/Yrielt/Pasqal.

Massive overhaul of combat, with some mention of scaling down enemies as well to compensate. Losing the flat damage per attack increase seems like it effects primitive guns more then anything since they had the various +X to damage feats.

Scaling down enemy defense significantly will do a lot to help. I don't know how much the damage% boost to AOE attacks is worth building up. Heavy flamers at least set enemies on fire but meltas and plasmas are just a decent not great chunk of damage that if you miss is a fat waste of time.

They are really, really trying to fix the Space Marine and make people actually want to keep him in the party. Fixing the pathfinding is good, making him actually survive past 2 rounds is probably the more important one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also it's interesting how they made INT boost AoE damage now.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I feel like the next few patches will be adjusting/fixing all the issues these sweeping changes and nerfs of these OP abilities have resulted in across the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I feel like the next few patches will be adjusting/fixing all the issues these sweeping changes and nerfs of these OP abilities have resulted in across the game.

It is in fact an Owlcat game.