Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lassitude posted:

And they'll take few if any casualties in the process. Marines punch hugely above their weight, at least in the fiction if not the games. I mean the 13th Black Crusade consisted of maybe a few hundred thousand Chaos marines and yet the Imperium's casualties were in the trillions.

A few hundred thousand Chaos marines, and the millions of cultists and other assorted soldiers. Just like with the Imperium, regular(ish) humans fill out the bulk of Abbadon's army and Astartes are used as elite troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Emperor clearly has a mania for genetic sciences, given the amount of time and effort he invested in the Custodes and the multiple attempts he made to develop that into a mass production form (and given what we know about the Dark Age, he tried then too and failed.)

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 23, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

They've done previews for some Dark Eldar who seems to be a secondary antagonist? Or maybe party member? Either way I imagine it's related to them

One of the main antagonist groups is a DA Kabal, which are independent fleet level organizations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If you're doing rogue trader, you absolutely need ship combat.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Rogue traders are free to have any ship they want if they can afford it and staff it, and hold many worlds in their vast trade empires beyond the Imperium's official borders if they can keep them.

Realistically, the Navy might have Opinions if you want anything bigger than a grand cruiser, since in the Navy's opinion those are for the Navy. You can try to fight the Navy, but it won't go well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

evilmiera posted:

How is a planet claimed by a Rogue Trader outside of the Imperium's official borders though? Isn't it part of the Imperium by definition?

"-ish". If they aren't organized into a sector or subsector, worlds probably don't get regular navy patrols and have little more than a token administratum presence. The Koronus Expanse isn't held by the Imperium in any real way besides having an outline and a label on the map, and the Navy's unquestioned authority stops at Port Wander. That doesn't mean Battlefleet Koronus doesn't rule everything their guns can currently target, but it does mean they're not in charge when a patrol isn't in the area. That means Winterscale's Realm is, both de jure and de facto, Calligos Winterscale's Realm: he's the law there, and the Navy are his welcome guests, as long as he follows his charter to expand the frontier of the Imperium.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Also, the Imperium may never move into the Expanse and set up official government. It's really far out and they're fine having traders do the work of exploiting it and bringing back the goods for them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

chainchompz posted:

They're based in Cyprus, though?

Cyprus is known as Moscow-on-the-Med for good reason.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

It's not really a spoiler because it's extremely up front with literally every relevant encounter but Idira is basically a walking nuke (in lore terms) and everyone who isn't a demon worshipping lunatic is side-eying her like "so....anyone gonna put her down already?"

Unsanctioned psykers are extremely dangerous terrible things, most likely outcomes are

Imperialis: Shoot in head very early on, get forced to side against her in order to keep other companions and shoot/exile her

Benevolentia: Try to try save/redeem her and lose some companions in the process, have to shoot her in the head/exile her

Heretecus: Gets powered up and becomes a Warp fueled rage/poison/lust/trickery monster, also lose companions for different reasons

Wonder if her psyker rank is mentioned anywhere, given how crazy she is it's got to be a few steps below "immediate demonic possession" but high enough that she would've been picked up by the Black Ships pretty easily. The whole sanction process is some kind of "soul shield" that is the only reason working Psykers can do their jobs safely. Regardless, it's impossible lore wise for an unsanctioned psyker of any noticeable power to not fall to Chaos, but maybe there's gonna be unique in-game options, some stuff like a Saint's Blessing or similar that can help.

An unsanctioned psyker can live a long and healthy life if they don't use their powers. If they do, their lack of training and the rather absurd amount of specialized augmetics that even a garden variety Imperial psyker gets makes them very vulnerable when the warp gets away from them.

For an unsanctioned psyker who slips through the cracks in Imperial space, the most likely outcome is getting recruited by a chaos cult.

Idira is probably a Gamma -- strong enough to resist outside forces and do some things with her power, but not quite strong enough for the light of her soul to get the worst kind of attention in the sea of the warp.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

I find it rather funny when an entry on a xeno species in the roleplaying game will go on for paragraphs about how these creatures are monsters who desire nothing but murder, then end by mentioning they interact peacefully with other non-human xenos just fine. A real if you meat an rear end in a top hat every day situation.

The Slaugth actually are the worst though. Like, the actual worst.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

It's very basic but it rules. I wonder if they balanced the economy at all though because I actually ended up with more than 100 profit factor pretty easily by min-maxing the colonies. Ironically considering the sector the only real hard cap I experienced for materials was people.

They shouldn't change it honestly. Saint Karlus Markus was right again: it really is all about labor, and the imperium is just continually shooting itself in the feet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The game line as a whole started to solidify in Black Crusade and remained pretty consistent from its errata onward

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It also triggers if you're switching between Burst Ranged and Single Ranged, so ranged only arch-militants are monsters too.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This game has romance options?? It's 40k, humans are grown in vats and sexual release is achieved strictly through bloodshed

The horror of, for example, Krieg, is not that they are an army of clones seeking absolution in death for an ancient sin they had nothing to do with.

The horror is that the vast majority of them aren't, and this is just what their culture of obligate, glorified martyrdom does to them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Emperor's Children are the biggest chumps from the heresy though unless you count the Word Bearers... or the Night Lords... or the iron warriors... or the alpha legion lol.

Horus isn't sending his best, folks.

The EC made out like gangbusters after the Siege. Instead of committing to the Palace, they spent most of their time looting and rounding up slaves, so they were sitting pretty when all the traitors ran back to the Eye.

At least, they were until the Black Legion decided to make an example out of them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Further Reading posted:

There's necrons and genestealers too. Also some wildlife. No orcs at all. That's all I'm aware of.

Orks.

The K is very important.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

Oh come on, you can say "orc", the Tolkien estate is not that hung up o

Orks don't know what a "C" is and trust it about as much as they trust a "th" phoneme. It's one of those shifty letters, one thing and then the other. Not proppa.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

On top of how the warp shifts around a lot, and realspace varies with time, every navigator sees differently. They can share charts to an extent, but Cassia's charts are Cassia's charts. She literally paints an emotional landscape to find ways around.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I think you start out at 18 which is appallingly low for a Rogue Trader but you did just get cut off from all your holdings, take over the Warrant, and get your ship trashed so people are understandably not clear on whether you can actually pay them.

Where it gets weird is when you consider that buying a new macro-cannon broadside for your ship can be easier than a fancy boltgun, but the system is highly abstract.

The broadside is but the hours of serfs. The boltgun represents time committed by a master craftsman.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Runa posted:

one must imagine sisyphus happy

Sisyphus's punishment is not the boulder, or the mountain. Indeed, he throws himself into his work, for he has been promised by the Gods that if he succeeds just once he will be returned to life.

Sisyphus's punishment is hope.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I want a black crusade game where I can go full shadowrun on Q'sal

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Put more points in Agility and you'll notice a difference in Initiative. Plus you'll dodge more so win-win

Sounds like elf talk to me

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The biggest ship that a Rogue Trader can have is usually a Grand Cruiser, which is quite rare and also the biggest thing that the Navy will allow anyone but them to own.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Wait bursts from different burst weapons count as...

What are the odds that Owlcat doesn't actually have a way to track at a high level "type" of attack?

They probably can, actually. A lot of their UI stuff is pretty smart and data driven, for example, they just don't seem to have enough resources on campaign testing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

Fun fact, Larian and Owlcat are essentially the same size.

That's a good point, and both studios have problems with late game content, triggers, and stability.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

As long as they aren't mainlining the Chaos juice, a Heretek is just someone who hasn't finished writing up the explanation for why their invention newly recovered technology is Totally OK With The Omnissiah and not xenos stuff at all.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

How do I build Argenta to make her super strong like people are saying? She's well behind Abelard and the psykers for me damage wise and I think I'm not using her well.

You use action economy boosters on her to enable her to stack versatility, and other flat per-hit damage boosts, so that her BS gets high enough that she can put out a huge number of high damage hits from a rapid fire weapon.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Pakled posted:

Ulfar is cool but dealing with his 2x2 size is a pain in the rear end

Ulfar is definitely not ridiculously enough. He's a Space Wolf with terminator honors, he should be killing deldar with his bare hands.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The logistical nightmare of every sanctioned psyker having been to Terra is very 40K though. And it's interesting as this caste of people who are completely unmoored in time and space, for whom their esoteric service is their whole world.

They don't all go to Terra, but they are all told that they are on Terra. The Scholastica Psykana has schools all over.

The vast majority of psykers who go to Terra don't leave.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

I mean it is a legitimate bottleneck for devs to commit to full voice acting. See Morrowind -> Oblivion. Personally I prefer the mix that Owlcat does where important characters in important scenes get cool voices but some sidequest with General Nobody can vomit paragraph after paragraph of unvoiced but well written text at you

I agree that voice acting is a major cost sink, and not everything needs to be voiced (especially the player), but Oblivion is a really bad example. When they were recording they didn't even have the scripts printed out in order.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Naramyth posted:

I thought I read they lid off a bunch of employees and were almost bankrupt but I can’t find that info again so uh hearsay nonsense I guess

Sounds like HBS.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Lamplighter's League just didn't perform well enough. I think paradox really dropped the ball on PR, but sales are sales.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Kanos posted:

Paradox forced mass layoffs at HBS months before Lamplighter's League released and shoved the game out the door to die in an extremely busy release window.

Game wasn't great and probably wouldn't have done big numbers even in an ideal scenario, but HBS was already gut shot and bleeding out by Paradox before LL even came out.

Yeah, it's a repeating pattern. They hosed over obsidian with tyranny, which is still their best.game, and now they've done the same with HBS. I hope harebrained can recover, they're one of my favorite studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Taear posted:

Yea like I say it's a commonly used trope but this was IDENTICAL
And it's PF adventure that get published monthly, plenty of turnaround time for it to be inspired by it

They're both referencing an Asterix plot ("The Place that Drives you Mad")