Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do we know anything about what system they're going to be using? Please tell me it's going to be something less stupid than Pathfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Looks like they're gonna force all of D&D's bad decisions into a system that doesn't even nessesarily have them, huh? Oh well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If Owlcat decides to shoehorn in Vancian Casting into this game somehow then I'm gonna scream.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 7, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope there's Necrons involved, at least a little bit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm not planning on touching this until it's properly out but I'm curious, what kind of system does the game use?
How grognardy is it compared to their very grognardy Pathfinder games?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'll take "20% less grognardy" since there probably will be a ToyBox mod for it.

Does it have vancian casting? Of course it does but maybe a miracle has happened and someone realized that it's an unfun system.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Not from what I remember from the alpha- it's more like Pillars where everyone has a pool of per-encounter powers. Serious question, are you familiar with the Fantasy Flight Games' Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Black Crusade system?

I played like 6 hours worth of Rogue Trader PnP with some friends and then we got distracted by something else, so no, I don't remember poo poo, but if they have only per-encounter powers ala Pillars then that's a HUGE improvement since Pathfinder.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do we know who the writers are for this game?

I really loved the writing in Wrath of the Righteous but found Kingsmaker to be very boring, an I'm curious if the writing staff on this game is the latter or the former.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JamMasterJim posted:

Kingmaker and Wrath had all the same writers, pretty sure(maybe a couple additions).

Not according to the credits. There's some overlap but a big chunk of people are different.

Kingmaker:

Wrath:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't speak in detail, as I've only played 20 hours of Kingmaker or so, but there's several different parts of the writing that I found to be much more interesting in Wrath.

There are a good amount of characters that I found myself intrigued by from the get go. Wenduag, Camellia and Ember have a pretty interesting introduction and figuring out what their deal is was one of the big draws of the game for me, and even the other companions that I found to be less interesting constantly interact with each other, at least with a few lines.

The main story of Wrath was on one hand very big and bombastic, and the whole crusade thing was...ehh...okay, but the personal involvement of your character in the big mystery of the plot, on the other hand, was excellent and had me on the edge of my seat until the end.

Kingmaker, on the other hand, I found to have none of those qualities. At least the first 20 or so hours.
The setup is very...generic, with no interesting hook to pull me in. Same with the companions, they felt fairly cookie-cutter, and they don't talk as much as companions do in Wrath, so I didn't find myself to be interested in any of them what so ever.

I'm not sure what changed between the games but at least for me it made a huge difference. I played through Wrath twice already and I'm planning a third playthrough when the last DLC comes out but I couldn't find it in me to play through much of Kingmaker.

Hopefully Rogue Trader will be more like Wrath than Kingmaker.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Larian style coop is very janky because you will constantly have different people activating different story triggers and characters will react as if it was all the same MC doing it.
It's even worse if one of the players has a special character origin because their personal narrative will be broken up depending on how many important events the other player will accidentally trigger.
It's true for both DOS2 and BG3.

Coop in the is fun if you just want to kill stuff but it sucks rear end for trying to roleplay or follow a story.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lalaland posted:

Well this is owlcat so february would be a good estimate for this game to be in a playable state

February 2025 maybe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been purposefully avoid looking up anything regarding this game but I watched the trailer and the fact that a Space Marine is a 2x2 unit is pretty funny.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really liked kingdom stuff in Pathfinder WotR because it was a nice reprieve from the god awful D&D3.5/Pathfinder combat which I can't loving stand.
I still beat all of WotR, twice, and planning a third playthrough of it, but it's in spite of the combat system not because of it.

I'm hearing that Rogue Trader allegedly does a much better job at making a non-grognardy combat system though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I still have PTSD from HoMM5's turn times.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of which, do we know what they are?
Any feral spider women we can date?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

please do not refer to the Emperor's love in such crude terminology. he's doing this for you, because he cares.

That's exactly what my uncle said to me too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How broken is this game? Should I wait a couple of months?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boooo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm assuming that this has the same kind of difficulty as other Owlcat games, in that if I want a challenge without spending hours balancing excel spreadsheets I should play on Normal?
As opposed to something like BG3 where Normal is actually the easy mode.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm probably just spoiled by Baldur's Gate 3 and the answer is probably no, but does anything on the character creation screen affect your dialogue options?
Like, are class/origin/homeworld-specific dialogue options a thing or nah?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

What's the difference between "Crime Lord" and "Noble" :confused: :haw:

The level of self-awareness.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

The first Navigator honestly sounded a lot like the Navigator from the original 80's Dune Movie, except not floating around in orange gas. I think Dune's navigator guild was actually an inspiration for 40ks Navigators.

All of 40k is just a collection of ideas copy pasted from other pieces of media all thrown into the same pot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a bit of a nitpick but I don't understand why they always have so few portraits for your character. It's arguably the most important part of your character customization and you only have like a dozen portraits for me to choose from?

I know I can import my own but I always spend for ever trying to find fitting art for my character idea.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For the lack of better options for making a total nerd I went with a Voidborne Diviner Psyker Operator. It seems a bit weird that there's no "techie" class available.

Combat feels pretty good from the start, unlike the Pathfinder system that I absolutely hated.
I'm playing on Daring so I'll have to see if I'll end up dropping the difficulty once I start seeing more of the bullshit Owlcat(tm) encounter design, but so far it's a smooth ride.

Also, is there respeccing?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 9, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aramoro posted:

The advancement screen is just amazing UX work in this game. One screen let's you filter abiliies by your class/background etc but other don't. Also the recommendations for upgrades to take all seemed designed to make your character worse. Should a psyker take psyker talents? No Ballistic skill upgrade please.

I feel sorry for someone not scrolling through the 50 options every level and just thinking the recommended ones will be good.

That's unfortunate to hear.
Is there a good place to figure out what level up options are not poo poo?

I was using guides for tabletop Pathfinder when I played earlier Owlcat games but I don't know if the same would be viable for this game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

boneration posted:

So every time I kill something the game slows to a crawl until its death animation is finished. Is this normal or what.

I think it's supposed to be slowmotion but for some reason it looks really low framerate.
It's not actually lagging, but I don't know why they implemented slowmo in such a weird manner.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are timers a thing here? Do I need to care about wasting days?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pathfinder games also had the feature where your party members would help you with skill checks during events, but they would also have certain checks targeted specifically against the player character when it made sense, but this game for some reason always uses your best party member for the checks, even if what's happening supposed to involve the PC specifically.

I guess it's good for power gamers but I feel like the roleplaying aspect suffers a bit from that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhh...is this a bug or is this section just poorly done...or am I just stupid?

Very early "find a navigator" mission.

I told Felek that I would take the Child and he said "ok", now Theobald wants me to take the Child, but I don't seem to have an option to just...do that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Felek doesn't want you to take the child, he wants you to kill Theobald and hand the child over to him. You have to choose one to side with.

But uhhh....that's not what's happening in the dialogue though?

but then the journal contradicts what just happened

The dialogue says one thing and the journal says that something completely different happened.
It's not a bug then, it's just a poorly implemented sequence?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Bro NPCs are capable of lying to you

I mean, sure, but the game isn't accounting for that.
If he's lying to me then I should have a choice that reflects the possibility that I fell for the lie. No?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The "I should bring Cassia to Felek as I promised" option in the dialog in your first post is the option to do this quest that Felek gave you. Theobald tells you why that's a bad idea and why you should stop Felek. Both options are available to you.

No? I haven't promised to deliver Felek poo poo, I promised to take her off the station.

EDIT: I feel like I'm going crazy here.
I discovered that Felek is full of poo poo.
I went to him and told him that he's full of poo poo.
He agreed that he was full of poo poo but only because he want to get rid of the Child.
I told him that I'll get rid of the Child by getting her off the station to be my navigator.
He says "ok".
I go to Theobald and he tells me that he wants me to take the Child off the station.

Yet I don't have the option to even attempt to do just that.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 9, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IIRC in the initial dialog with Felek he straight-up claims that you can take the child with you after you let him sap her powers but maybe I'm misremembering that part

No. He doesn't. I posted the full relevant part of that dialogue.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FacelessVoid posted:

I don't understand rapid fire. I just hit an enemy when it said I had 0% chance to hit. I've also hit a lot of other times when the odds were really low. Is the number displayed over a unit not the actual probability to hit? This game is so confusing.

I think the probabilities change when a previous shot in the same volley has destroyed another enemy or cover, thus giving LoS to the previously 0% to hit enemy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Felek asks you to bring her to him and then leave with her

I understand that's how the scenario works mechanically but literally the last thing he tells you is "[...]take her and leave the station."
At no point in this line of conversation does he mention bringing her to him.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm guessing what happened there is that interrupting Felek and demanding he just give you a navigator and let you leave made him say "fine fine yeah whatever just go get her" and prevented the part of the dialog where he tells you to bring the child to him from triggering, and the quest log acted as if it had triggered.

I just offered to rescue the child out of the goodness of my heart and he was like "perfect, go get her and bring her to me!"

I see. I guess that makes sense.
It would be helpful if the game somehow differentiated between "gathering information" and "making a decision" dialogues choices, so that I didn't have to skip the former because I'm worried that they're actually the latter.

EDIT: Maybe ToyBox has something that would solve it, now that I think about it. I should check it out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Further Reading posted:

Yeah you're right and people don't understand what you're saying.

Initially felek says to bring her to him. If you gather enough evidence to call him out you can offer to take her yourself and he agrees in a way that's clearly a lie to get you to do what he wants.
The problem is that "I believe his lie" isn't taken into consideration in the journal nor in the conversation in her quarters. So despite agreeing to take her yourself the game makes you say you're taking her to Felek.

I would've strongly preferred if Felek just betrayed me instead but I guess I might as well pick the option to go actively kill him instead, and hope that the game won't have similar oversights happen again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you actually make a character that takes advantage of Voidborn's Be Smart?
If you're gonna make an INT focused character then picking any class besides Operator seems like a waste, since nobody else has proficiencies with INT Skills, and Operator can't seem to take advantage of Be Smart.
There's a possibility of making an INT Officer but then you're not using your primary stat for your skills so it feels like you're supremely gimping yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the first typical "gently caress you" Owlcat(tm) encounter in the game?
I only just started but it's been suspiciously smooth sailing on Daring difficulty so far.

I've read some people claiming that the Chaos Spawn encounter is bullshit but the game literally has a giant tutorial pop-up telling you to read enemy abilities during that fight and if you read it's abilities then than encounter is a joke.