Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Coming from the tabletop RPG, man they have overcomplicated things for this game. Don't quite get why attack damage went from (Weapon damage) - ({Armour - Penetration} + {Toughness - Felling}) to this system where two 'heavily armoured' units behave completely differently because one has Deflection and one has Armour, and AP weapons like meltaguns do nothing against Deflection.

I have a mechanics question - when an ability lasts 'until the start of your next turn', or 'for one round', how does that interact with extra mini-turns?
Like, if it goes:
  • Cassia: Take It Down -> Abelard: Endure.
  • Jae: Finest Hour -> Abelard.
  • Abelard
  • Enemy
  • Cassia
When does Endure time out? When Abelard has his next mini-turn (on Jae's turn)? When he has his next real turn? When it's Cassia's next turn (because that was the PC slot he applied it on)? And does this differ for 'until the start of your next turn' abilities vs 'for one round' abilities?

Are there any UI mods or config settings I've missed that make it easier to see what effects characters have on them as well? There's the mini-list that shows of like 4, but given every character rapidly ends up with like 10+ abilities on them it's a real pain to figure out who hasn't had Prescience yet, and it doesn't help it lets you recast buffs on people who already have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Is Jae's companion quest broken? I decided to come back after my coronation, but don't have the option at the start of Act 3, and in Act 4 she's mad at me for choosing not to do it, which seems a bit off.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Does feel weird how in Act 1 you and the NPCs are basically playing the same game, then by Act 3 you’re playing Rocket Tag Combo Factory and everyone in your party is acting 3+ times/round and dealing 4x their base damage. Triggering convoluted Bring It Down->Finest Hour chains that have characters nested three deep in someone else‘s turn.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

ilitarist posted:

Lack of balance and asymmetry is fun. Plenty of abilities you use would be extremely annoying if the enemies used them.

Plenty of cool RPG systems rely on enemies staying simple and predictable. It culminates in systems like Slay the Spire or Into the Breach or Griftlands (this one is especially cool because it simulates not just the dungeon, but the whole randomized world with NPCs and interactions) where most of the time enemies literally tell you what are they going to do.

Yeah, though combo-heavy games like that usually have more abstract systems. RT *appears* to be very crunchy and simulationist where even cover has mechanics for cover HP, cover efficiency and cover efficiency reduction, but if you engage with it as a simulation like it suggests you’re kneecapping yourself.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Warmachine posted:

Doing all the exploring in Act 2 turns Act 4 into a game of pixel hunting to figure out which planets the new stuff is on because the Rumors list is very poorly thought-out. It's half of a quest log that doesn't function. I'm in Act 4. The pictured rumor is for the Drukhari ship that lands on Rykad Majoris in chapter 1. Not only can nothing be done with it, I investigated the site in chapter 1. I completed the rumor, but the log doesn't care, and there's no way to mark something "complete" or "ignored."

Down the list, Xenos on a Rampage? That's the Drukhari again but in Chapter 2, informing you of the presence of the raiders. What, past Chapter 3, does this have to do with anything? No poo poo there's Xenos on a Rampage! You've been to their city! You may have even done some retributive warcrimes there!

Heavenly Chariot is the encounter on Amberworld with the chaos disk that you beat by doing a giga prayer session, and is honestly metal as hell. I did it. The King of Distortion is gone. Why is this rumor still in my log?

I don't know why I'm ranting about this all of a sudden beyond the fact that the idea of this system--hints that could lead to quests or turn out to be nothing--is a cool one and this is just the piss poor implementation that makes it that much worse and I'm unreasonably angry about it.

Also if you’re in the Expanse view Rumours absolutely ought to have a “Go To System” button that pans the camera to their system.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Arglebargle III posted:

The rule book is great for story ideas and dogshit for rule consistency and coherency. Be prepared for the GM making rulings and simplifying things because the rules are not on your side. With me and four players combing through the book we're still not sure what difficult terrain does. It's mentioned repeatedly but it's like they left out the box explaining what effect it has.

There's a great package of third party GM tools and spreadsheets floating around online that I'd be happy to share. Even a program that'll generate new star systems for you.

Yeah, I ran loads of RT back in the day and love the setting but maaan the system is not well written. TBH I’d probably just use Imperium Maledictum now, the successor to that line of RPGs.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I assumed paths would become less deadly after multiple trips. Seems weird that you can do the Foulstone to Footfall run a dozen times and each is still just as hard as the first.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Aramoro posted:

Only If you get the right random events and choose the right option in the Cassia storyline that gives you points. Even then I assume you mean the trunk routes because best will in the world you cannot turn every route green.

If you don't then you have to jump back on forth on amber routes till you get the event.

It's an objectively terrible game mechanic.

There’s a colony building on Dargonus that drops the cost of making new routes to 1 - I guess if you beelined for it then explored afterwards, it might work? I saved Dargonus til last as I assumed finishing it would trigger the coronation and add another time limited quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

The Lone Badger posted:

Predates the Admech I believe. That kind of nonsense tends to be from the DAoT.
Yeah, DAoT tech called the Void Abacus. Let you jump a few systems over without needing a Navigator (instead of just to an adjacent system). You'd still need Navigators to run the Imperium, but that's no excuse to not destroy them!