Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you prefer to browse?
Browser from a desktop PC/laptop
Mobile app/browser
Computer at the Public Library
Mail-in ballot posts
I do not browse the forums.
View Results

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

While I do use the mobile app to access [POSTS] from the train, the couch, or while huddled away by myself pretending to use the bathroom at a party, there is something about scrolling around SA thru a browser on a desktop PC that still retains some of that old magic for me- like visiting an old friend's house or touching that old scar on my face.

Since we're now mostly in our 30s and 40s here, I thought I would ask my posting colleagues: Does Computer posting still exist, or have you since abandoned the Old Ways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the computer is better because it won't auto-correct my lowercase proper nouns and pronouns

all those capital letters from phone posting betray the aloof, disinterested vibe i'm trying to cultivate

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also, just fyi op, phones are computers

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I craft my posts artisanally from blocks of wood

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Most of my posting is done while doing other stuff on my computer, occasionally I post from my phone if I'm like in bed or can't sleep or on my rare breaks at work.

what I don't get is people who phone post without the app, like using the desktop site on a tiny phone screen. why

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Bad Purchase posted:

the computer is better because it won't auto-correct my lowercase proper nouns and pronouns

all those capital letters from phone posting betray the aloof, disinterested vibe i'm trying to cultivate

Fix yer shift key.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

lol if you don't immediately disable auto-correct when you get a new phone

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

also, just fyi op, phones are computers

typical milleniums...*SIGH* There was once a time before 2012, dumbass. Do you have any idea how long it took me to write my posts in the 70s?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sure, my compaq presario is beige, nothing else in the room is beige. Yeah, it’s a 286, but you know what? It’s got a poo poo hit aftermarket soundblaster card. Floppy disks are supposed to flop. Yeah it’s got the other kind of drive too, how else would I load Netscape from 6 disks? :mario:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DaveWoo posted:

I craft my posts artisanally from blocks of wood

Actually running a wooden kernel lol. :hai:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Posting from my LG fridge since parents took phone and tablet away.

init
Jun 20, 2021

Sorry OP, i only post from my Apple Watch

- Posted from my Apple Watch

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I typed this post on a New Model M with alternating blue letter keys

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 3, 2022

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i compose all my posts on a moog etherwave.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Bad Purchase posted:

i turn off autocapitalization and autocorrect OP to achieve the vibe

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I post from my mind directly

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
what if i plug my phone into a dock that lets me use a keyboard, mouse and monitor

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

posting from a hacked starbucks point of sale terminal with onscreen keyboard

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I post from a disused prototype Memex in an otherwise forgotten nuclear shelter.

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
I post via carrier pigeon.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

I post from my mind directly
I was going to make one of the poll options something like "Brain-implant G.O.O.N. Neural Network" but thought i was being a little too cute with some of the options already :-] I appreciate you

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hate phoneposting, it's so slow.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

super sweet best pal posted:

Are you with AT&T or Sprint?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I just shout out things I'd like to post and assume that someone, somewhere will hear me and put it up on the forums.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Posting from a phone or tablet is a huge pain in the rear end if you're trying to do anything other than a basic text post, like embed images and poo poo

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I probably use my phone less than 99% of people in their 30's. I look at it maybe once a day.

But this is due to the fact that I'm strapped into this posting station for the entire day with my eyeballs trained at multiple hellscreens so it's not like it's an accomplishment

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

yes!!!!!!!!

it's annoying to set up but whenever I am excited to live-post along with an event on TV like sports or something here it's so much nicer & more fun to have a laptop between the couch and tv than fumble around with my phone for 45 seconds just to write "gently caress!!!!!!!!!!"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I do a lot of phoneposting at work because I am on a production line all night and have decent amounts of downtime, but I prefer computer posting because I am an old man.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Posting in hexidecimal from my wifi bidet controller. Updating, installing.. OMG I have to POOP! :colbert:

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't even have a phone

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I usually post from my computer, but I usually read on my phone to occupy myself during commutes.

This was posted from a computer. :toot:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Computer, hooked up to a TV.

WebTV was before its time.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Computer posting 100%
I rarely visit the forums on my phone because i"m old and I can't see poo poo

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I read a lot on my phone even though it's loving hell on my carpal-tunnel-riddled corpse hands. I post on my pc though for the same reason. gently caress typing on mobile.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I actually only post from other people's phones

I borrow it, install the ap and log in, post, then uninstall for every. Single. Post.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Buce posted:

I just shout out things I'd like to post and assume that someone, somewhere will hear me and put it up on the forums.

the true goon behind this post could be anyone :tinfoil:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
“it takes too long to phone post” lmao we truly are the geriatrics of the internet

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I actually only post from other people's phones

I borrow it, install the ap and log in, post, then uninstall for every. Single. Post.

This guy uses the app :laugh:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Phones suck and are a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have to phone post from the app because the only computer I have is my work laptop which is locked down tight as a button and SA is blocked.