Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6tmftzMoI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Heat was better

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

Heat was better

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Don't get me wrong, I love Michael Mann movies

Heat was better

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Here's hopin' his next one is Wheat

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

skeet

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Wheat

and Skeet

do Dallas

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Both Thief and Manhunter are better Michael Mann movies than Heat.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Manhunter is so fuckin good

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

Manhunter is so fuckin good

It's weird it went so far under the radar that a lot of people are unaware of it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's weird it went so far under the radar that a lot of people are unaware of it.

it's absolutely the better adaptation of Red Dragon, Michael Mann is really underrated overall, even counting Heat; because of Miami Vice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

it's absolutely the better adaptation of Red Dragon, Michael Mann is really underrated overall, even counting Heat; because of Miami Vice.

I think it is definitely superior to Red Dragon, which isn't even a bad movie. Another forgotten Michael Mann project was the TV show Crime Story, which I remember fondly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_Story_(American_TV_series)

Which also featured Ted Levine in a great role, who also was in Silence of the Lambs, and was also in Heat. :aaa:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think it is definitely superior to Red Dragon, which isn't even a bad movie. Another forgotten Michael Mann project was the TV show Crime Story, which I remember fondly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_Story_(American_TV_series)

Which also featured Ted Levine in a great role, who also was in Silence of the Lambs, and was also in Heat. :aaa:

every time Ted Levine gets shot in the neck in Heat I yell HEY THATS BUFFALO BILL ALSO THE DUDE FROM MONK

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Skeet

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
He actually only filmed it once and used digital technology and special effects to replace the actors' faces. You can tell when the sweet 80s synth music kicks in, that's an artifact.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
we talking about how much heat rules?

https://twitter.com/RussellHFilm/status/1529677178350104576

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Both Thief and Manhunter are better Michael Mann movies than Heat.

Manhunter is without a doubt my favorite movie.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

MrQwerty posted:

This is really stupid because the early Miami Vice episodes in the first couple seasons where he had an actual influence and impact on the show actually owns. Once Dick Wolf joined the show thats when it actually went to poo poo and you can see the genesis of why all crime procedurals are loving terrible now.

Also Manhunter loving owns how was that not a massive loving hit in the 80s

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Manhunter is without a doubt my favorite movie.

Even the soundtrack was great - he made a great use of music throughout the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnunwrqPw_o

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
they filmed back to the future twice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
L.A. Takedown is kind of a lovely made for TV dry run for Heat. I haven't watched the whole thing beginning to end but from what I've seen, I don't think it'd work without the performances, cinematography and production values of Heat. Collateral is almost as good as Heat though.

italian quid posted:

This is really stupid because the early Miami Vice episodes in the first couple seasons where he had an actual influence and impact on the show actually owns. Once Dick Wolf joined the show thats when it actually went to poo poo and you can see the genesis of why all crime procedurals are loving terrible now.

Also Manhunter loving owns how was that not a massive loving hit in the 80s
Did he direct the show? I thought he only did the TV. movie. [E: brainfart]

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 5, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

L.A. Takedown is kind of a lovely made for TV dry run for Heat. I haven't watched the whole thing beginning to end but from what I've seen, I don't think it'd work without the performances, cinematography and production values of Heat. Collateral is almost as good as Heat though.

Did he direct the show? I thought he only did the TV.

what was the name of that movie with Ice Cube's son that was Heat 2.0?
Thieves' Den, I think
It had Gerrard Butler as the sheriff

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what was the name of that movie with Ice Cube's son that was Heat 2.0?
Thieves' Den, I think
It had Gerrard Butler as the sheriff
Den of Thieves? Close enough lol. Feels like it was 10 years ago but yeah it was pretty good, though I don't think it had that Michael Mann touch or left the kind of long lasting impact. Really struggling to remember any particular scene or set piece from that movie.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Den of Thieves? Close enough lol. Feels like it was 10 years ago but yeah it was pretty good, though I don't think it had that Michael Mann touch or left the kind of long lasting impact. Really struggling to remember any particular scene or set piece from that movie.

That's because it was 10 years ago. As set pieces go, I liked the shoot out on the LA Highway

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

mobby_6kl posted:

Did he direct the show? I thought he only did the TV.

He was a producer and had a pretty big impact on the style and its particular direction in the early years. If you watch it and you've seen enough Michael Mann films you can definitely see he had a pretty significant input into production.

I'm really an impassioned advocate for early Miami Vice because I think its criminally underrated and everyone associates that show just with the Testarossa even though the show was trash by the time Sonny gets the Testarossa. I think the episode with Bruce Willis as an arms dealer is loving high point and I'm not sure how they convinced the network to air such a nihilist ending to the episode backing the mid 80s lol

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

mann disowned The Keep so he sucks butt

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

italian quid posted:

He was a producer and had a pretty big impact on the style and its particular direction in the early years. If you watch it and you've seen enough Michael Mann films you can definitely see he had a pretty significant input into production.

I'm really an impassioned advocate for early Miami Vice because I think its criminally underrated and everyone associates that show just with the Testarossa even though the show was trash by the time Sonny gets the Testarossa. I think the episode with Bruce Willis as an arms dealer is loving high point and I'm not sure how they convinced the network to air such a nihilist ending to the episode backing the mid 80s lol

The first 2, maybe 2.5 seasons are absolutely legit amazing. The show takes a pretty big nosedive after but it’s still fine for the most part.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

italian quid posted:

Network tv in general was pretty messed up in the 80s. I blame the FCC letting tv advertise to children. Everything became family friendly to sell cereals and toys so the stuff meant for adults sometimes went real hard

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Network tv in general was pretty messed up in the 80s. I blame the FCC letting tv advertise to children. Everything became family friendly to sell cereals and toys so the stuff meant for adults sometimes went real hard

I am fairly sure the only reason my mom has Honey bunches of oats is from cartoons. I mean it's pretty good and she loves it, but what the hell 1990s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

This reminds me of watching Ringu or Infernal Affairs for the first time after having already seen their remakes.