Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Problem description: my mouse and keyboard will stop working every 20-30 minutes. When I change USB ports from the front of my desktop computer case to the top, they start working again for a short time. When I press the power button to hibernate and then press it again to wake the computer, the mouse and keyboard work again.

Attempted fixes: I went to Device Manager and uninstalled then reinstalled USB Root Hub and it seemed to improve the situation. The issue happens every 20-30 mins instead of every 5-10 as it was, but there is a lot of skipping, almost like more processing is required to use the mouse.

I disabled selective suspend from the power options as well, but I believe that (and most of the potential solutions I found on google) are directed at the issue of mice & keyboards not working when the computer wakes from sleep/hibernate rather than the opposite.

My next step (once a new external HD arrives today to backup my data) is to 1)flash BIOS and then 2)reinstall windows. Others reporting similar problems suggest a reinstall won't help much if it's a hardware issue.

Maybe related? I noticed there is the thickest layer of dust I've ever seen in a computer inside this one on my heatsink and fans. I am going to clean this today.

Recent changes: the only software difference is that I installed steam on this computer for the first time on 5/21. This issue began on 5/31.

Of note:I believe this is the Event related to this issue from the Event Viewer:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PnPRequestAdditionalSoftware
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: x64
P2: HID\VID_03F0&PID_1198&REV_0704&MI_01&Col02
P3: 6.1.1.0
P4: 0409
P5: input.inf
P6: *
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64bit

System specs: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz desktop computer with 8 GB Samsung DDR3 RAM, ASRock Z77 motherboard (maybe relevant to this issue), Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB VC, VX 450W power supply, one 74.5 GB intel SSD (OS & programs installed on this one), one 465GB Seagate HDD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thank you for any help and input!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try another mouse/keyboard and see if it behaves the same way. Dust shouldn't have any effect on this.

Is W7 fully updated?

Sunny Side Up posted:

Recent changes: the only software difference is that I installed steam on this computer for the first time on 5/21. This issue began on 5/31.

Steam could be to blame then. It might be some odd Steam issue with Windows 7. Newer software can cause issues with older operating systems (and vice-versa). If you went to W10 that issue would be a lot less likely.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Zogo posted:

You could try another mouse/keyboard and see if it behaves the same way. Dust shouldn't have any effect on this.

Is W7 fully updated?

Steam could be to blame then. It might be some odd Steam issue with Windows 7. Newer software can cause issues with older operating systems (and vice-versa). If you went to W10 that issue would be a lot less likely.

Great points and thank you. I’ll try another mouse and keyboard and if that doesn’t work will upgrade to W10. W7 is not updated.

I was backing up my data for hours last night via my normal input USB slot (the USB 3.0 slots) and there were no issues which got me thinking the only time the inputs lock up is while I’m playing either Planetside 2 or AimLab in Steam.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

This issue disappeared for 3 weeks in June after my last post and then reappeared and got worse. I tried multiple firmware and driver updates, OS reinstalls (carefully installing software one prog at a time), replaced the power supply, blew dust out of the USB ports, etc. Finally, on a whim I retried the thing I had done initially and swapped my mouse.

Turns out, that was it. I don’t know why it was also affecting the keyboard or why it was making each clustered group of USB ports entirely unusable. On my work laptop, the malfunctioning mouse kept changing the mouse sensitivity randomly—-it’s a “gaming mouse” with buttons to do so, although I rarely ever actually used them.

Not sure why my initial swap way back in idk May or so didn’t work (I didn’t use the same mouse as I used that time). But appears resolved, now. What a weird one.

Edit: \/ makes sense thank you

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 17, 2022

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010
My assumption on what was happening:
The cable or circuitry in the mouse might've been damaged which caused a short. The short then forces the USB controller to reset