Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
On June 4, 1982, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was released and had the biggest opening weekend of all time! Until Return of the Jedi blew it out of the water the following summer but whatever

I've posted these before in other threads, but for GBSers let's travel back in time to 1982 via the world wide web:
  • "The battle is about to begin..."
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 1982 TV spot : https://youtu.be/aoHNO86Py0c

• "Well, um, if they kill him off I think people will tear down the theater!"
    Audience reaction to Special Preview of Star Trek II The Wrath of Kahn May 8th, 1982 in Kansas City.' https://youtu.be/MJrayJm2VHk

• The cast of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan are special guests on 'The John Davidson Show- June 8, 1982'
    https://youtu.be/Z3_ltAGr7fI

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Still pissed Kirstie Alley didn’t sign up for Search for Spock and we ended up with dark match Adrienne Barbeau.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, recepsionisst, take no more calls from my wofe.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

"Beam yourself to Wendy's for a Fun-Pak meal that's truly out of this world! But be careful, the wrath of Khan awaits you!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI7PRvQ3KI8

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Odd vintage promo that sounds like it's narrated by the crypt keeper or something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGAxSI6D5wk

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i wanna know more about wendy's adventures in ghost town op can you make a thread about that too please

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The Wrath of Bakhanator

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Nicholas Meyer: "And you can see the problems, like the man who crossed the Idaho potato with a sponge. Tasted horrible but it's sure a helluva lot of gravy. I don't exactly know how that fits in, but I do know, I don't think a bunch of people can sit around and say 'I don't think this should happen' because then you get a movie that comes and looks like something stamped on office furniture."

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan Entertainment Tonight Segment (1982): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdUlT88y6zg

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

The Wrath of Bakhanator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSKVv6YO8g

Orville aint seen poo poo.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I prefer Star Trek VII

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
This is one of the most banging scenes in all of Star Trek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofMJ6cwzLM

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Poltergeist was also released June 4, 1982. That was a helluva weekend at the box office.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Poltergeist was also released June 4, 1982. That was a helluva weekend at the box office.

Holy poo poo. That entire month was nuts.

ET a week later.
Firefox the week after.
Blade Runner after that.
The Thing.

July had Tron.
August had The Wall and The Beastmaster.
Sept had meh.
Oct had First Blood
Nov had Creepshow
Dec had 48hrs, Airplane 2, The Dark Crystal, and Tootsie

Crazy year.

I remember seeing Khan, ET, Tron and Firefox in the theater. tnx pops

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 5, 2022

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I forget the occasion, maybe 25th anniversary of TMP release or when VI came out, around that period anyway, they rereleased the movies into the theaters

i was born in 87 so to the adult that took me, at like 7 or 8, to see the motion picture, gently caress u

poo poo was like mind screamingly boring

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Voyage Home is better

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The Voyage Home is better

This is true, but we can make a thread for that when it has its own anniversary

https://i.imgur.com/KpaAlK2.mp4

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm gay, op and IV was the better picture ricardo montebon my rear end

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

I'm gay, op and IV was the better picture ricardo montebon my rear end

I mean that just goes without saying!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Nicholas Meyer: "And you can see the problems, like the man who crossed the Idaho potato with a sponge. Tasted horrible but it's sure a helluva lot of gravy. I don't exactly know how that fits in, but I do know, I don't think a bunch of people can sit around and say 'I don't think this should happen' because then you get a movie that comes and looks like something stamped on office furniture."

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan Entertainment Tonight Segment (1982): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdUlT88y6zg

All of the original Star Trek was Nimoy wanting to play 'Waiting for Godot' with Shatner and settled for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Vampire Panties posted:

This is one of the most banging scenes in all of Star Trek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofMJ6cwzLM

I can't remember if I saw this in the theatre or in VHS later, but I do remember nightmares for days. I still can't watch it, and I blame my general ickiness about parasites on this scene.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Worf posted:

I forget the occasion, maybe 25th anniversary of TMP release or when VI came out, around that period anyway, they rereleased the movies into the theaters

i was born in 87 so to the adult that took me, at like 7 or 8, to see the motion picture, gently caress u

It’s slow as molasses but goddamn when Scotty flies Kirk out to the Enterprise on that shuttle.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Spock looks at my rear end in a top hat and says "To not eat it would be... illogical."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

drat, Montalban was the loving man. RIP, you legend. May your time in Heaven be forever blessed with the fragrant scent of rich Corinthian leather.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Kirk promised Khan that the Federation would be along to help and check up on them and such. One of the Enterprise crew even stayed with them and married Khan, who he then lost to local wildlife.

Whether Khan is bad or not, and regardless of his action on board the Enterprise... there was a whole group settling on Ceti Alpha 5, not just him.

For Kirk to just leave all of them there and completely forget about them, reporting nothing of their settlement back to the Federation, effectively marooning them, is unforgivable.

Khan did nothing wrong.

:hehe:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Bula Vinaka posted:

Kirk promised Khan that the Federation would be along to help and check up on them and such. One of the Enterprise crew even stayed with them and married Khan, who he then lost to local wildlife.

Whether Khan is bad or not, and regardless of his action on board the Enterprise... there was a whole group settling on Ceti Alpha 5, not just him.

For Kirk to just leave all of them there and completely forget about them, reporting nothing of their settlement back to the Federation, effectively marooning them, is unforgivable.

Khan did nothing wrong.

There's an extremely telling moment when Captain Terrell says to Kirk about Khan, "He's completely mad, Admiral. He blames you for the death of his wife."

And Kirk cuts him off dismissively: "I know what he blames me for."

Except he doesn't. Kirk arrogantly thinks he still understands Khan's motivations, but he doesn't even know what happened to Ceti Alpha V. He leaves himself wide open to be blindsided at the end, because not in a million years does Kirk expect Khan to destroy himself and his followers just to spite him.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Szyznyk posted:

It’s slow as molasses but goddamn when Scotty flies Kirk out to the Enterprise on that shuttle.

yea the pinnacle of the movie happens very quickly

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Wasn't Khan like a totalitarian dictator on Earth or something, maybe he loser rear end deserved to be on the wack rear end dusty planet

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Wasn't Khan like a totalitarian dictator on Earth or something, maybe he loser rear end deserved to be on the wack rear end dusty planet

The trains ran on time when Khan was in charge, though!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They should have made movies based on the horrible TOS episodes like the spaces hippies.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

They should have made movies based on the horrible TOS episodes like the spaces hippies.

I'm actually surprised Kurtzman-Trek hasn't mined that gold yet.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Star Trek is better than Star Wars. It always has been and it always will.

What's that you say? The new Star Trek stuff is horrible? Well, have you seen the new Star Wars stuff? I mean any of it since the 90s?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Now, now, no need to fight, there's plenty of room for both Star Wars and Star Trek to be terrible.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

whats your favorite line mines when spock says "im gay"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

Star Trek is better than Star Wars. It always has been and it always will.

What's that you say? The new Star Trek stuff is horrible? Well, have you seen the new Star Wars stuff? I mean any of it since the 90s?

you dont like the mandalorian?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Worf posted:

you dont like the mandalorian?

I barely remember it. I do remember the constant "I saw XX and I clapped" moments, though. So no, I did no like the mandalorian.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Worf posted:

star trek tmp is an excellent movie even if it is only 22 minutes long

https://vimeo.com/217336882

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

I barely remember it. I do remember the constant "I saw XX and I clapped" moments, though. So no, I did no like the mandalorian.

its better star wars than most star wars imo, probably more well thought out than the entire original trilogy that spawned it, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Bula Vinaka posted:

Khan did nothing wrong.

Kirk was a Starfleet admiral at the time of the movie; of COURSE the Enterprise is in trouble because of a screwup by a Starfleet admiral, that's just tradition. Hell, he still was an admiral in III also and it got even WORSE; they didn't just demote Kirk in IV to put him back on his ship, they were scared if he remained an admiral (even one in prison) the universe would probably explode next.

MadDogMike fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 7, 2022