Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

Prof. Crocodile posted:

bill and Ted face the music. it was a thoroughly charming film, although I didn’t love it as much as other people did.

I agree with your assessment of this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

I watched the CGI Appleseed movie on Netflix. It was pretty decent. If I ever watched the anime it was so long ago I have no memory of it. The humans were videogame cutscene quality, but the scene lighting in parts was really gorgeous. The story moved along at a good pace that established the who, what, where and why and never really got bogged down in any of it. All in all I give it a solid definitely worth watching on an airplane, and a decent something to throw on that you don't really have to think about too much and looks cool.

Finger Prince

Erik the Viking. One of the things I like about old movies is how the opening titles and credits sort of jiggle around on the screen. Not sure if that's an artifact of the filming process or the transfer process, but I like it.

Finger Prince

beer pal posted:

the new byob game everbody loves to play is guess what beer pal is watching from the recommendations of the pirate movie website's 'algorithm'

I know which one I'd be watching, (hint: it's either hunter or deadly)

Finger Prince

I watched the Norseman, which was pretty ridiculous, then I watched Thor: Love and Thunder which was awesome but also pretty ridiculous.

Finger Prince

Nope

Finger Prince

That's the title of the movie I just watched.

Finger Prince

It's good

Finger Prince

watho posted:

perfect blue. it was extremely good, it was a lot to take in and i had to sit in silence on the bus home but very very good

From the title, that sounds like a surfing movie. Like Warren Miller style.

Finger Prince

Emily the Criminal - pretty good. Had its flaws, and I felt the ending was kind of unnecessary, but not bad.
3000 Years of Longing - I guess this is a fantastical romance type deal, but there's no chemistry between Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba. There's also loads stuff that's introduced and never even acknowledged for the rest of the movie. I think I would go as far as saying It's Bad.

Finger Prince

I finally watched What We Do in Shadows last night and it was brilliant.

Finger Prince

Why do the bad guys resurrected as cat people clones have tattoos?
Why does one chew bubble gum? Imagine how much gum they'd need to fill their giant cat person gob.
Did the one bad guy with the sunglasses have them custom made to fit a cat person head? Or are they like novelty sized human sunglasses that just happened to fit perfectly?
Why does everyone have a different accent and why does that accent change situationally?
Why does the one girl have shaman like powers to control the glowy fish and stuff? Why does nobody comment on this despite the fish girl clearly being taken aback by it?
Why are there crab robots? Like, why crabs? Did the military procurement team have a brief to make the materiel setting appropriate?
Why do the man cat/fish people not have nipples, and how do the minute pieces of vegetation adhere so tenaciously to the woman cat/fish people nipples?
Why, in the distant future of mankind's rapacious destruction of exoplanets, using huge space ships and crab robots, are they still using "mags, stingers and RPGs"?
This and so many more questions occurred to me during the runtime of the movie.
That whale sure hosed poo poo up though.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 7, 2023

Finger Prince

The Running Man. Classic.
Arnie looks pretty good with a beard.

Finger Prince

watho posted:

the adventures of ford fairlane

Wow, that's a movie I'd completely forgotten about. I'm trying to remember it and the only thing I get is a vague sense that at the time, I was surprised it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Finger Prince

Bullet Train. A good, dumb action flick that doesn't take itself at all seriously.
This movie is loving awesome.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 9, 2023

Finger Prince

biosterous posted:

No Time To Die

it's real good! i wouldn't want to see it in a theatre though because i love pausing a movie to get snacks or take a piss or whatever

Is that the one where he rides a motorbike stuntacularly through some very sunny old world Mediterranean place like Malta or Sicily or something?

Finger Prince

That's about all I remember from it. That and Daniel Craig's dour demeanor that comes across as "I'm sick and tired of this franchise". I saw him in Knives Out the other day and good lord that movie is nearly as preposterous as his southern accent.

Finger Prince

watho posted:

i’m a big fan of the Daniel Craig Using A Preposterous Southern Accent Cinematic Universe

Someone ought to make a Colonel Sanders Biopic and cast Daniel Craig.

Finger Prince

Daniel Craig auditioned for the Mr. Rogers Biopic but was snubbed for Tom Hanks and he is bitter.

Finger Prince

Forrest Gump is what made Daniel Craig want to be an actor. Well, that and watching the Mark Twain holodeck program on Star Trek TNG.

Finger Prince

I started watching White Noise on Netflix. Couldn't keep watching. The dialogue... Nobody talks like this! It felt like a movie written for actors to show off just how dense a script they could memorize. How many words they could say, and how quickly, without pausing in conversation. Maybe it gets better but I didn't give it that chance.

Finger Prince

baka fwocka fwame posted:

is this based on the delillo novel lol

I looked it up and yes it is. Not familiar with the novel though

Finger Prince

The Banshees of Inisherin with a chaser of Aqua Teen Forever: Plantasm.

Banshees was excellent, but the funniest thing about it was that it was billed as a comedy and some critic quoted on the poster said "shudderingly funny". My dude, this is not a funny movie. Maybe absurd is the word you're looking for?

Aqua Teen Forever was everything I could have wanted out of an aqua teen movie.

Finger Prince

Clerks.

Such a loving great movie.

Finger Prince

Areola Grande posted:

remind me why I should revisit this flick pls

Who doesn't have a constant battle between their own internal Dante and Randal?
And it's so earnestly enthusiastic about what it is. And there's little bits of gold in some of the shots, like when one of the hockey bros turns away after calling Dante out. Watch for it. That turn and skate off. The script is so perfectly 90s crude too.

Finger Prince

Dungeons and Dragons thieves within or something

It was thoroughly enjoyable and I highly recommend it. The humor was on point, especially if you've played the game. The characters, especially the paladin, too. Just a really good flick. Go see it with some friends, or by yourself like I did and laugh along with the fellow anonymous geeks in the audience. Just the right amount of fan service imo.

From the previews, the following look promising:
The new Wes Anderson flick Asteroid City or whatever. Looks like a contender for best cinematography.

New animated TMNT looks absolutely fantastic and I will definitely watch this.

The spiderverse movie looks good too, but probably more of an airplane movie tbh.

Finger Prince

Areola Grande posted:

The Death of Stalin

a great flick

Finger Prince

I want to watch a Sci Fi tonight. What should I watch?

Finger Prince

I started watching 10000 BC and my god its awful.

Finger Prince

Last night I watched Chaos Walking, with a bunch of actors I recognize from a bunch of other stuff.
It's a kind of cool premise, and had potential, but never really realized it, and by the third act kind of went off the rails with regards to that potential and just sort of wrapped things up.
I also had a bit of an issue with the time lines presented. The second colony ship arrives something like 64 years after the first one, and in that time, the first colony has essentially reverted to tribes and clans living in a pre-industrial state. Even things like electronic fire starters are objects of awe.
I can kind of get behind the idea of societal collapse when all men's thoughts (and only the men) are visible and hearable by everyone, but just the stuff that's presented implies more like hundreds of years of isolation.
And OK like the walking dead works on a similar sort of time frame, but it's not based on the idea of future tech colony ships that have all the stuff to build a civilization (like the unfinished monorail towers).
And I think they could have gone deeper in showing how and why they're in the state that they are (one statement about the energy rifles about them never working or not having worked in decades is a wasted opportunity - maybe the colony ship was outfitted on the cheap by a cost cutting megacorp?), but instead they just went with nah, it's a pg13 love story in which all obstacles are removed by the end.

Finger Prince

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among Thieves.
2nd time.
I genuinely love this movie.

Finger Prince

Prey.
It's a Predator movie. It's pretty ehhh. Nice drone shots and scenery.

Finger Prince

Less a movie, more a series of loosely related vignettes.

Finger Prince

Cocaine Bear.
Drugs dropped in woods. Bear finds cocaine. People go in to woods, get eviscerated by cocaine bear. The end. There really isn't much more to it than that, and I don't know why I thought there might be. Part of me was disappointed, but another part was like "the movie is called Cocaine Bear. It did exactly what it promised by the title".
Between that and Rendeld, I think I'm over gore for the sake of gore movies for a while. It doesn't make me squeamish, but it does make me think it's probably damaging my psyche somehow.

Finger Prince

Areola Grande posted:

asteroid city again. still owns

I need to watch that.

Finger Prince

Jailer.
Some weird bollywood Taken that was not really what I expected from the trailer. It was kind of dumb.

Finger Prince

Areola Grande posted:

I've given up on Bollywood unless u know a good one that's not a song and dance number

This one isn't, though it does have the one I think legally required dance number, which feels completely shoehorned in. The trailer makes it seem like it's action-comedy, but it's really just a violent morality play, with a lot of cultural subtext that is mostly lost on me, though I get the gist, in the sort of way that an Indian person watching, I dunno, Rambo: Last Blood would glean cultural subtext about America.

Finger Prince

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre

Guy Ritchie action flick starting Jason Statham? gently caress yeah. Also starring Aubrey Plaza and Hugh Grant? gently caress yeaher.
Hugh Grant plays such a great sleazy bad guy.

Highly recommend.

Finger Prince

Doors. Some high concept, low budget scifi suspense nonsense. It doesn't really go anywhere and stops before it gets started.
It seems like something dreamed up by a writer during covid lockdowns as a way to process the whole thing, which is probably exactly what it was. Anyway it wasn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Buttchocks posted:

Dragonwyck (1946) with Vincent Price. Good name for a speed metal band. I always used to think that gothic horror was boring because aside from the occasional ghost of the previous wife or the inevitable house fire at the end, it wasn't actually scary. Now I realize that the setting itself is the horror, and every day of every character's life is a waking nightmare of repression, toxicity, grief, and very silly clothes that can only be escaped in the merciful embrace of death.

Also, people use the word Kermis a lot in this movie. I think Kermis was Dragonwyck's debut album.

Prog metal.
Kermis is also the 3rd track of the selfsame titled album. It is a 14 minute long instrumental and is subdivided into sections titled repression|toxicity|grief|very silly clothes|merciful embrace of death.
The 4th movement is a manic polyrhythmic guitar and drum solo in 5/8, 10/7, and 17/11 time signatures.