Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The T16 is also great.

Literally the only downside to these controllers vs a more traditional chunky hitbox style one is the lack of lipped buttons, meaning doing 360s with a finger slide is less smooth. Other than that, they're great bits of kit and I cannot recommend anything other than their range to people wanting a leverless controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Haute42 is insane value for the money.

I’m building a two player “on the go” kit with a pair of $20 Haute42 Minis. My G13 is my daily driver, and I’m seriously considering a T13.

The rise of GP2040-CE as a much cheaper alternative to Brooks is a game changer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I ordered an m16 because I've never tried a hit box before and I'm bad with money.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Haute42 is insane value for the money.

I’m building a two player “on the go” kit with a pair of $20 Haute42 Minis. My G13 is my daily driver, and I’m seriously considering a T13.

The rise of GP2040-CE as a much cheaper alternative to Brooks is a game changer.

Still need a Brooks for ps5 use don't you though?

My t16 is shipped and I can't wait.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

VelociBacon posted:

Still need a Brooks for ps5 use don't you though?

My t16 is shipped and I can't wait.

If you’re playing PS5 games on your PS5 yeah. I’ve read a MagicBoots adapter in the side USB will do the trick.

USF4 and the old KOF games recognized it as a legacy controller and worked for me on PS5 without an adapter.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I ordered an m16 because I've never tried a hit box before and I'm bad with money.

I have an M16 and I posted about how much I love it in the fighting games thread. You won't be disappointed. It is hefty and easy to configure.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's encouraging! I was intrigued by the all-metal body and before I knew it, a purchase was made.

I am also interested in their tiny wasd based keyboard keys hitbox but I thought it would be an easier transition if I stick with round arcade buttons to start.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I got the $40 haute42 g12 as a portable alternative to my full-sized hitbox and they had art templates on their discord.
Printing two out for the front & back on some sturdy cardstock was a bit less than $1.50 at fedex/kinkos (plus a $2.50 handling fee because I asked the guy at the counter instead of doing it on the self-service machine whoops).

But... does anyone have any tips for cutting circles out neatly? This thing has keyboard switches instead of normal arcade-style buttons with a lip so there's nothing to cover up any messy cutting work around the edges of the holes. So far my plan is to just go slowly with a hobby knife and pray. (The buttons feel great by the way. They're way clickier than normal arcade buttons which is neat. This model has MX-style leobog greywoods but apparently most other haute42 sticks have kailh switches.)

Although now that I mention it maybe I could just take off the top acrylic and use it as a cutting guide?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 2, 2024

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Make an X in the hole first and just cut big chunks out until you get near the edge of the hole.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The web configuration tool for these sticks is really cool and now I wish I had translucent buttons.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Please talk me into/out of a Hitbox

After watching some videos in use with Guilty Gear and absolutely eating poo poo last night in SF6 I think it's time to make the change. I think I'd want to start with a full size but I don't want to splash out $300 only to find out that I'm just bad at the new fangled fighting games .

:corsair: back when Marvel vs Capcom was all the rage I could beat the game on a single quarter! Now I sit at a virtual arcade cabinet while my Goku in a tutu goes 0-30

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can get cheap ones for like $50 on Etsy. They won’t be full sized tho. But it’ll give you an idea if it’s for you or not.

Or get a kitsune on amazon and return it if you don’t like it lol.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Romes128 posted:

Or get a kitsune on amazon and return it if you don’t like it lol.

Ooo I hadn't considered fraud

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Ooo I hadn't considered fraud

Not sure how using the return window to return something constitutes fraud, but you could just get a Haute42 model of your choosing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

A Haute42 T16 is $80 (plus $30 for a Magicboots dongle if you play on console).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

If you're playing on PC by any chance, could just play on the keyboard to get a rough sense of leverless.

Otherwise yeah some cheapish one off Etsy or AliExpress or wherever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Romes128 posted:

Make an X in the hole first and just cut big chunks out until you get near the edge of the hole.

Alright that wasn't too bad in the end!
Doing that + using the acrylic as a guide was pretty easy although if you look at the backside some of these still look pretty rough. Can't see it from the front though!

They didn't have a template for the back panel and I didn't realize the holes were asymmetrical so when I used the front-face template the hole markings ended up in the wrong spots. Then when I cut new holes to fit properly I ended up doing them the wrong way round and mounting it upside down, whoops! Gotta print another of those for $1 more

The art is from the Moon Gundam manga.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

After watching some videos in use with Guilty Gear and absolutely eating poo poo last night in SF6 I think it's time to make the change. I think I'd want to start with a full size but I don't want to splash out $300 only to find out that I'm just bad at the new fangled fighting games .

:corsair: back when Marvel vs Capcom was all the rage I could beat the game on a single quarter! Now I sit at a virtual arcade cabinet while my Goku in a tutu goes 0-30

My man, you don't need to spend that much to try out a leverless. If you're down to wait a bit, you can hit up AliExpress and get a leverless for like sixty bucks. I already had a Hitbox, but ended up wanting to try something that had a couple extra buttons to work on my DI reactions, and ended up ordering a Haute42 S16, and honestly it's every bit as good as my hitbox. The buttons feel better than the Sanwa's that come with the Hitbox, and honestly feel better that the Crown Samducksas I replaced the Sanwas with. It's an awesome little controller. It took 11 days from ordering to making it to my doorstep here in the states as well, which was way faster than I was expecting. If you want a bigger size, the T16s aren't that much more.

edit; Also, if you really just want to see if its workable, bind asd to left down right, and JKLNM, to your attacks, and space bar as up on your keyboad, and give it a go for a few days, assuming you play on PC. It's easier on an actual leverless than a keyboard for me, because when I was playing keyboard I'd regularly lose my hand position when things got heated, but it will let you figure out if it's something that's going to feel good for you. In my experience, if you've played a bunch of PC FPS games it ends up being a pretty easy transition.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 2, 2024

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I gotta say, bang for the buck, the haute42 line is the way to go. Even the m16 is only a little over $100 and it's a top quality alloy case and it has a bunch of on-board options.

E: it also works super well on a MiSTer without any tweaking at all. Just boot it into PS4 mode and it has all the functions you need to control the interface and play.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 3, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

If you're playing on PC by any chance, could just play on the keyboard to get a rough sense of leverless.

This is the way to go if you are on PC; costs you nothing to try and you’ll figure out pretty quickly if pressing buttons for movement is something you can get onboard with.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The last time I tried playing fighting and danmaku games with a keyboard was like twenty years ago which made me sore after a short bit, and it's probably worse now that I'm older. How much better is a leverless compared to keyboard? I'd imagine the more ergonomic hand and finger layout would help a lot with that if I had problems with that on a standard keyboard.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have one of these and like it a lil more than the smaller haute pads.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805858914711.html

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Alright that wasn't too bad in the end!
Doing that + using the acrylic as a guide was pretty easy although if you look at the backside some of these still look pretty rough. Can't see it from the front though!

They didn't have a template for the back panel and I didn't realize the holes were asymmetrical so when I used the front-face template the hole markings ended up in the wrong spots. Then when I cut new holes to fit properly I ended up doing them the wrong way round and mounting it upside down, whoops! Gotta print another of those for $1 more

The art is from the Moon Gundam manga.

This looks great!

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I tried rebinding to my keyboard and I didn't do well but my brain understood it which was my big worry. I took the plunge and ordered an M16 from Aliexpress (yay 3 week shipping)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I almost got one from Ali but Amazon had them for only a few dollars more and it was here in a few days.

That said, Ali has the SuicideBoys/Epstein shirt for $6...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

one of these days I'm going to hotrod my mad catz SF4 stick, mostly so I can do cool kid poo poo like have glowy buttons and custom art (of what, I don't even know) even though I never take it anywhere and mostly use it for playing ancient weird MAME poo poo

though I might give SF6 a go at some point, who knows - I am absolutely dogshit at fighting games, but I inevitably try every street fighter for a little while before losing badly enough to give up, and the RPG mode looks cool

mostly posting to auto-bookmark the thread, but also taking suggestions/notes for this particular model of stick (sf tournament edition, mad catz model no 4738)

I know it's already got sanwa stuff built in stock, and it feels nice, but I inevitably wonder if it can feel nicer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Street Fighter 6 is SUPER beginner friendly with Modern controls. I think it's $40 this week, hop in!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

Street Fighter 6 is SUPER beginner friendly with Modern controls. I think it's $40 this week, hop in!

Ironically, I'm old enough that modern controls frighten and confuse me - I understand the six buttons (I never got to an arcade that had the pressure pads)

but I still might.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

hexwren posted:

one of these days I'm going to hotrod my mad catz SF4 stick, mostly so I can do cool kid poo poo like have glowy buttons and custom art (of what, I don't even know) even though I never take it anywhere and mostly use it for playing ancient weird MAME poo poo

though I might give SF6 a go at some point, who knows - I am absolutely dogshit at fighting games, but I inevitably try every street fighter for a little while before losing badly enough to give up, and the RPG mode looks cool

mostly posting to auto-bookmark the thread, but also taking suggestions/notes for this particular model of stick (sf tournament edition, mad catz model no 4738)

I know it's already got sanwa stuff built in stock, and it feels nice, but I inevitably wonder if it can feel nicer.

There's a *ton* you can do with JLFs (the lever that's in that stick). Arcadeshock has a bunch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hexwren posted:

Ironically, I'm old enough that modern controls frighten and confuse me - I understand the six buttons (I never got to an arcade that had the pressure pads)

but I still might.

Man you really should! Sf6 is my first fighting game ever and I'm loving it. Super good at onboarding and it's just a blast.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I tried rebinding to my keyboard and I didn't do well but my brain understood it which was my big worry. I took the plunge and ordered an M16 from Aliexpress (yay 3 week shipping)

Yup, you're good to go then. The learning curve is going to be there, but if you just didn't immediately nope out on the idea of how leverless should work when giving it a shot, you'll get there faster than you might think. Enjoy!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Finally finished customizing my F500. Sanwa JLF stick, Qanba Gravity buttons. Picture sucks because the acrylic reflects everything :v:

Now I can actually start playing some games.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Finally finished customizing my F500. Sanwa JLF stick, Qanba Gravity buttons. Picture sucks because the acrylic reflects everything :v:

Now I can actually start playing some games.

Looks fantastic!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

grabbed sf6 as suggested, but oh boy do i need to finagle this stick somehow (or, yaknow, get good)

idk if i just have bad hands (very probable, I'm very bad at even the easiest video games) or if I'm sitting weird or what, but the gate on the stick feels extremely weird to me, and i end up doing poo poo like throwing a basic qcf and my character winds up doing flips through the air instead

then again, i come from the eighties, and i don't exactly have the most delicate touch

idk.

probably more rear end-in-chair time will help

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Do you have a stock square gate and are used to circular gates from the Happ days? If you're riding the gate, don't do that if it's square.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

hexwren posted:

probably more rear end-in-chair time will help

It's this, and don't worry literally everyone starts like this lol

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Some of us even remain at that level. At least I do.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fighters/comments/1b80uoq/does_anyone_else_practice_motion_inputs_on_gear/

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

hexwren posted:

then again, i come from the eighties, and i don't exactly have the most delicate touch

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My brain interpreted that link in the British sense and thought it meant "practising while high on cocaine".