Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

univbee posted:

My brain interpreted that link in the British sense and thought it meant "practising while high on cocaine".

He has a right hand driver side car so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Damaging your transmission to lab...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

Do you have a stock square gate and are used to circular gates from the Happ days? If you're riding the gate, don't do that if it's square.

to be frank, I'm not sure

possibly?

like, to be more detailed -

1. I don't know what the gate my stick has is, but it's the stock piece, yes
2. am I used to circular gates? probably. I honestly can't remember what the stick felt like in my hands back in the super turbo days (where I wasn't very good either, but more for being a dumb tween)
3. am I riding the gate? I presume so. I'll try and pay more attention to what my hand is doing next time I play. however, how are you supposed to make your inputs if you're not supposed to slide the stick from one position to the next along the edge? I guess I'm just missing what the physical action is meant to be

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hexwren posted:

1. I don't know what the gate my stick has is, but it's the stock piece, yes

I'm confused, you can feel what shape your gate is. Does it have obvious corners for your diagonals?

Also, are you using stick because you're used to stick or for some other reason?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Coxswain Balls posted:

The originals are on the site I posted earlier.

http://slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

hexwren posted:

3. am I riding the gate? I presume so. I'll try and pay more attention to what my hand is doing next time I play. however, how are you supposed to make your inputs if you're not supposed to slide the stick from one position to the next along the edge? I guess I'm just missing what the physical action is meant to be

The detents on an octo gate are nice to ride on for games like shooters where you're holding one direction for a long time, but for things like fighting games where you're doing quick movements that consist of multiple directional inputs it can be helpful to use your fine motor control to move the stick just enough to actuate the switches, rather than gross motor control to slam it all the way to the gate. In this way the square gate acts as more of an over-travel stop than something you want to be riding on.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Dude at our locals has a square gate but very faint notches at 4 and 6 to make those spots easier to feel. Nice solution.

Build chat:

Been switching between all my different controllers to figure out what I like. got some with keyswitches, both fullsize and slimline, little controllers, big controllers, a qanba obsidian with a goofy leverless adapter. I've settled on liking arcade style buttons the most but sanwa didnt make their silent gen2 buttons in 24mm until just recently so I snagged a set to try out and this controller is finally the way I like it. They only come in black so cant customize a whole lot but the look with the colored cups looks a lot better than I expected. I like the leverless obsidian with 30mm action buttons the most but that thing's just awful to cart to locals since it doesnt fit in a pack.

This started out as a $90 aliexpress box that worked well until the board died so its got a pi pico now and the swapped button plungers. Nice kit for still about half the cost of a branded hitbox. It had the big square USB cable port so I found a panel mount usbc adapter and installed that as well. I want to try shiokenstar split so hitbox layout but 30mm action buttons and spread a lil more but haven't gotten around to ordering that top plate and buttons.

https://i.imgur.io/mKNeJo7.mp4

These sanwa OBSFE-2 buttons are the same cup and switch but the plungers are a different, more rubbery material (TPU vs ABS prolly) with a slightly different mold design. They deaden a lot of the clack without the mushy feel of using foam pads and instead of clipping into the cup they friction fit on the microswitch.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can you give more info on how you use the Pi Pico as the encoder?

I'm trying to build something similar using an Arduino flashed with Daemonbite but I'm running into issues I can't solve. I'd be willing to try a different micro controller if I thought it would give me better results.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Can you give more info on how you use the Pi Pico as the encoder?

I'm trying to build something similar using an Arduino flashed with Daemonbite but I'm running into issues I can't solve. I'd be willing to try a different micro controller if I thought it would give me better results.

Lot of places make various flavors of fight controller boards based on pi pico with all the headers n poo poo you need preinstalled for pretty cheap. There's an open source firmware called GP-2040 whcih pretty much all of them use across these bare boards and the aliexpress stuff with it hard soldered into the controller like flatbox, snackbox, haute, etc.

This is the board I'm using. : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJM6GNBH

and the firmware is here: https://gp2040-ce.info

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh okay so this is probably what's inside of my m16 then.

Cool. I will try this next.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Dude at our locals has a square gate but very faint notches at 4 and 6 to make those spots easier to feel. Nice solution.

4 and 6? Seems strange to me that it would be asymmetric, is that for something specific?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 7, 2024

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

hexwren posted:

2. am I used to circular gates? probably. I honestly can't remember what the stick felt like in my hands back in the super turbo days (where I wasn't very good either, but more for being a dumb tween)
Classic American arcade cabinets are circle gate, so if you're referring to your time playing in 90s arcades in America i'm 99.9% certain you were on playing on circle gates.

VelociBacon posted:

4 and 6? Seems strange to me that it would be asymmetric, is that for something specific?
4 and 6 by numpad notation, not like numbers on a clock. Left and right on the gate basically

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

iPodschun posted:

4 and 6 by numpad notation, not like numbers on a clock. Left and right on the gate basically

Oh duh, thanks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

iPodschun posted:

Thanks for clarifying because I had no clue what 4 and 6 was meant to imply other than clock positions.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ah, yeah. Numpad is a good notation for directions and movements so 236 is your standard quarter circle fireball and 623 is DP, etc. and always written as if you are in 1p position

Really the only good way to type more complex or cursed moves for example dizzy's supers in +r [2]8462, 64641236 where brackets denote a charge

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Other common notations would be like:

5LP: standing light punch
2HK: crouching heavy kick
j.MP: jumping medium punch
6MP: forward medium punch
4MP: back medium punch
LPLK: regular throw
4LPLK: back throw

Brackets mean that you charge the motion, so [2]8K is a flash kick and [4]6P is a sonic boom.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Friend was asking and I figured all y'all wizards would know - is there a Hitbox that uses 30mm Sanwa Low Profiles / takes 30mm by default? (the OBSF ones). The only 30mm Hitbox things I could find were cruddy etsy box-only things without even a board.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

wodin posted:

Friend was asking and I figured all y'all wizards would know - is there a Hitbox that uses 30mm Sanwa Low Profiles / takes 30mm by default? (the OBSF ones). The only 30mm Hitbox things I could find were cruddy etsy box-only things without even a board.

the BNB fightstick with a shiokenstar layout does for the action buttons, movement buttons are still the smaller ones

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Boogalo posted:

This sounds like a similar idea to the "squoctogon" gate Seimitsu has on their SELS-70X series and at least some of the NOBI series too, if I'm not mistaken. It's a lot closer to a square gate than an octo, but it has subtle corners in the cardinal directions too. I really like it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I should not have cut my nails today if I wanted to swap all these linear switches to tactile ones, jesus

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Okay, I've wired it up, it seems to be functional per Steam, just one issue:

I got a "slim" case from AFS (there was a long wait on standard ones) and these rubber sheathes on the wiring harness I got are not helping in getting this thing shut. I can get the surface of the panel flush with the box, but there's definitely a little resistance from the wires. I don't want to jam the case down and damage the wiring harness/switches long-term; should I just snip off the rubber to give the wires a bit more flexibility? Is there a different wiring harness I should have picked up for shallower cases?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Can't you just angle the spades by tweaking them all with some pliers?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Can't you just angle the spades by tweaking them all with some pliers?
It's this, though i've not needed tools to do it. The metal is soft.

to reuse a previous pic:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

You know, I was considering that but was worried about potential damage; nice to know that's an option.

away to bend I go

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ultimately, it's just a piece of metal. As long as you bend them slowly and don't bend them back and forth, it's fine.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Those rubber sheaths are there so you can bend the terminals and not worry about the wires rubbing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

restrictor pics
This has been going around for years, but at least the octo gate is misleading since the range is bigger than the square gate, going by the JLF. Like the corners feel similar but the cardinals are extended out to be equidistant. Haven't used a circle gate but guessing it's a similar situation.

Personally I'm a weirdo with an octo gate with a Kowal actuator to bring the activation and throw distance down.

Boogalo posted:

https://i.imgur.io/mKNeJo7.mp4

These sanwa OBSFE-2 buttons are the same cup and switch but the plungers are a different, more rubbery material (TPU vs ABS prolly) with a slightly different mold design. They deaden a lot of the clack without the mushy feel of using foam pads and instead of clipping into the cup they friction fit on the microswitch.
Ooh neat, whenever I've tried people's silent sticks that mushy feel was definitely a turnoff.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
FYI the aliexpress anniversary sale is going on right now, so the hautepads are on sale for even cheaper if you include the anniversary coupon codes
https://haute42gaming.aliexpress.com/store/1103014184/pages/promotion-202403150327.html

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

FYI the aliexpress anniversary sale is going on right now, so the hautepads are on sale for even cheaper if you include the anniversary coupon codes
https://haute42gaming.aliexpress.com/store/1103014184/pages/promotion-202403150327.html

Just want to say I'm incredibly happy with my T16!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Thank you for the heads up on this. Nabbed a Haute42 M13 in black for $109.14 CAD shipped after the coupon! $150~ is the regular price so I’m pretty happy with that.

I adore my G13 and Haute42 Minis. Very excited for the metal enclosure version. :hellyeah:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The m13 is a very nice video game controller. I kinda want to play guitar hero with it.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Gated & Stickpilled

I'm going to repost the Trainglebox in here because it makes more sense than the fighting game thread. I moved the buttons around a little to make more sense, as they used to be in just a straight row, with the green buttons being the top row (X Y RB) and the yellow buttons being the bottom row (A B RT), and a couple up top for LB and LT. I'm going to be an idiot and bring this thing to Anime Boston, so I figured I might as well make it a setup that feels (slightly) more natural than previously. The buttons do occasionally seem to stop working, just flat out do nothing until I release them and press them again (as opposed to being able to wiggle a finger on them to get a response), but I'm also wondering how much is that is the SOCD filter of the 2040GP setup catching my sloppy inputs. I can't remember if it's done that with the face buttons.
Anyways the main result of this experiment is that this is as terrible idea as it looks and sounds like. The triangle buttons aren't great, and that makes sense because I think they're really only meant for a specific game. The giant circle buttons were DEFINITELY not worth the effort, as circles just aren't as funny as triangles, even with triangle like angles inside of them. Someone called it a dorito in Discord so I guess that's sealed its fate as far as paint jobs go.
Buttons are Sanwa OBSF-24TRs, which can be bought here: https://www.smallcab.net/sanwa-obsf-24tr-c-30_35_67_276.html. It's weird, I only seem to be able to find them on European sites.
The circular monstrosities can be found here: https://www.smallcab.net/triple-buttons-c-30_35_150.html
The controller board is a GP2040 because I wasn't going to throw a good board into there, but maybe I should? https://gp2040-ce.info/
Idk. Don't make controllers out of triangles folks.
First setup:

Final setup:

Also zero apologies for the state of my work bench or the number of tabs open.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sierpiński's Hitbox

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HerniaFlange posted:

Final setup:

Also zero apologies for the state of my work bench or the number of tabs open.

This is going to be sick for Marvel vs Silent Hill

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
AliExpress order came through last night/this morning. Gotta run now but will post impressions later.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
First of all there's a bunch of listings, but I got it off this one, I think the cheapest one at the time. ~$22 when I got it, ~$24 currently:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805844645456.html

That one has a clear cover so you can swap the art, the other variation I've seen is just the plastic without the cover (or screw holes or anything for it). This is one of the cheaper listings I've seen for that one, also ~$24:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806424247470.html

3D printed but seems pretty solid. I kinda assume the Haute42 equivalent is probably more so from the looks of it (sandwiched acrylic?) but eh it's fine. Functionally I assume it's all the same usual GP2040 stuff, main difference being the addition of the little input screen. I thought the Haute42 one had a USB passthrough port but don't see it on their site, but in any case this doesn't have one either.

Mine came with linear switches of some sort. Never used them in extended fashion before, just felt in random electronics stores here and there and never liked them before. Playing with them here...I still don't like em. I've been using scissor switch keyboards for years, and thnikk's Fightboard LP for a while (before this type of controller blew up and got cheap) with clicky Kailh Choc v1s, so also got an order of the Kailh Box equivalents, white and jade (thick click for the right side keys). Jades didn't come in yet, but just going clicky at all with the white switches was soooo much better for me.

Compared with the Fightboard LP, first impression I'd say I prefer the low profile Choc switches, but that's going off memory cause I haven't compared directly yet. But it's a pretty minor preference, the standard switches are totally fine, especially after swapping them for my tastes, plus now I can enjoy the full world of nerdy custom keycaps! Main difference is just the extra height while packing it away, we'll see if it matters for the smaller bags I sometimes use.

(Only reason I got another one of these things is cause I have the older Fightboard with micro USB. Not a huge deal obviously, but it's one of my only micro USB devices left and annoying to always have an adapter on hand just for it. Another $20-30 for an extra controller, why not!)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
personally I do linears for movement and tactiles for action buttons, gives me the best of both worlds

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I just installed The Link lever into my Hori Rap N and it's cool, but the dust cover feels like it's set a little too high now. I put the dust cover over the dust cover catcher o ring, but I might take the o ring off entirely. Has anyone ever used The Link? It didn't come with any instructions so I'm a little unsure that I set it up right.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

The product description image says its optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I use one and I've just got round to putting a dust cover on it. It feels about right to me but I haven't tried putting it in my RAP enclosure to see how it sits. I'd imagine taking the O-ring off wouldn't make it sit that much lower, but the dust cover would fall off when you remove the stick.

I did have to file down the inside of the dust cover slightly to get it to sit right, I'm talking a tiny tiny bit of filing on this aftermarket aluminium dealie, so maybe that might help, if it's catching on the shaft?