Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Does anyone have a 3D printer file they can recommend for making your own Hayabusa gate? Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is on sale and I want to try playing it with a diamond gate to see what Tetris arcade is supposed to feel like. As far as I can tell Hori sticks don't have the ability to rotate 45 degrees like the JLF gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Coxswain Balls posted:

Does anyone have a 3D printer file they can recommend for making your own Hayabusa gate? Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is on sale and I want to try playing it with a diamond gate to see what Tetris arcade is supposed to feel like. As far as I can tell Hori sticks don't have the ability to rotate 45 degrees like the JLF gates.

I can find a bunch of octagonal ones on thingiverse (ptooey), shouldn't be too much work to remix them. I'd probably opt for petg if you can print it, I find that pla is a bit brittle and gets dusty at friction points but petg just deforms rather than shedding crap all over the place.

Speaking of 3d printed parts, I've been remixing this slim hitbox model and it's turning out great. I love the layout and it's slim as heck

It uses kailh choc minis which are... okay, but the short travel is genuinely helpful for tekken. I'm probably going to land on something just a little thicker that takes full sized MX switches, but this one will definitely be my main squeeze until I finish that build.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Thanks for the print media tips. I'm guessing filament similar to Delrin or PTFE like those fancy Otto kits isn't a thing at the consumer level? I don't actually own a 3D printer but I'm trying to learn more so I'm not bugging my friend who does the printing for me with so many questions.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Coxswain Balls posted:

Thanks for the print media tips. I'm guessing filament similar to Delrin or PTFE like those fancy Otto kits isn't a thing at the consumer level? I don't actually own a 3D printer but I'm trying to learn more so I'm not bugging my friend who does the printing for me with so many questions.

Absolutely not, those materials are meant for machining not printing. I think you can technically print POM but I don't see the point considering the difficulty. PTFE is ludicrously dangerous to heat to melting temperatures, you'll be dead before your benchy is done.

PLA and PETG are good enough for just about anything you'll wanna do. Some people still use ABS but I don't know why, it stinks and warps and isn't better than PETG.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I know this is the "do it yourself" thread but the Qanba Crystal is on sale at Amazon for $88 right now.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Prebuilt sticks are just another platform to get into controller customization so stuff like sweet deals are welcome here.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Coxswain Balls posted:

Prebuilt sticks are just another platform to get into controller customization so stuff like sweet deals are welcome here.

seriously, my first custom stick was a wwe brawlstick (rebranded madcatz se) that i got on clearance for $20

post any deals or codes or whatever, spread the savings around

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm guessing you'd also recommend PETG for an actuator? I bought a bunch of shooters during the summer sale and after a couple hours straight of playing my hand is getting a bit sore with the 2lb spring so I put the 1lb back in. While I already have a Kowal oversized actuator in there it's making me want to do some more experimentation. I kind of want to try a bat-top with a 2lb or 4lb spring to see how it feels since I've been on ball-top forever.

I wish I could have just picked up a Seimitsu LS-62 or LS-40 in my last Focus Attack order but when I put it in the cart it added another $40 to the shipping, probably because its box doesn't fit in a packing envelope. I've been wanting to try one for years.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I can find a bunch of octagonal ones on thingiverse (ptooey), shouldn't be too much work to remix them. I'd probably opt for petg if you can print it, I find that pla is a bit brittle and gets dusty at friction points but petg just deforms rather than shedding crap all over the place.

Speaking of 3d printed parts, I've been remixing this slim hitbox model and it's turning out great. I love the layout and it's slim as heck

It uses kailh choc minis which are... okay, but the short travel is genuinely helpful for tekken. I'm probably going to land on something just a little thicker that takes full sized MX switches, but this one will definitely be my main squeeze until I finish that build.

There's a surprising lack of "small but not really low profile" STLs for hitbox style controllers. I have a full size one and love it, but my girlfriend is looking for something smaller and I'd love to get something printed out so I can build one for her.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Thirsty Dog posted:

There's a surprising lack of "small but not really low profile" STLs for hitbox style controllers. I have a full size one and love it, but my girlfriend is looking for something smaller and I'd love to get something printed out so I can build one for her.

Well I'll share the STL as soon as it's ready! I really like the concept and feel of this design, the three-piece idea is great, but the top-mounted screw holes are dumb and unsupported and the layout is very weird. I'm remixing it so it fits together better and uses standard-ish hitbox layout.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm guessing you'd also recommend PETG for an actuator?

Sure, I think that would be fine, but I wouldn't expect it to last a terribly long time. I would probably print a bunch of experiments until I land on a size and shape I like then find an oversized aluminum or delrin one to file down to match. Shafts and actuators are usually metal for a reason.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Well I'll share the STL as soon as it's ready! I really like the concept and feel of this design, the three-piece idea is great, but the top-mounted screw holes are dumb and unsupported and the layout is very weird. I'm remixing it so it fits together better and uses standard-ish hitbox layout.

It would be great if you could! I don't have a printer myself but know enough people who are willing to print stuff for a small fee that it's worth me trying. Having already built a full size hitbox I know what I'm doing with the rest of it.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Made my daily driver a few years ago. Don't even remember what kind of wood it is

This one was the first hitbox I built, out of a dollar store decoration

And this one I just finished printing the enclosure/buttons for. Waiting on the PCB to arrive. Pretty stoked on the color

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Suggestion: It might be cool to see a goon stick gallery in one of the OP threads. I like seeing what everyone's got.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

How the hell do you get an X-Arcade Tankstick to work?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vadun posted:

How the hell do you get an X-Arcade Tankstick to work?

those always were a pain as far as ive heard, whats the issue?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/06/sega-announces-a-usb-cyber-stick-controller-for-the-mega-drive-mini-2

Cyberstick Controllers being remade? God drat

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

those always were a pain as far as ive heard, whats the issue?

Well, beyond having to buy an absurdly expensive adapter for consoles, the thing doesn't work out of the box on any fighting games I've tried on PC.

There's a way to program the stick by editing a text file or something but it seems insane to me

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vadun posted:

Well, beyond having to buy an absurdly expensive adapter for consoles, the thing doesn't work out of the box on any fighting games I've tried on PC.

There's a way to program the stick by editing a text file or something but it seems insane to me

they were made before madcatz came in and took over the market and were for a different time.

id say just replace the board itself with a brooks board and move on if you wanna keep using it

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dang, for a second I thought it was a new Densha De Go controller.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dang, for a second I thought it was a new Densha De Go controller.

i mean it can be

edit: legit want one of these tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-ZBPWhhbQ

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 25, 2022

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

new fighting commander!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I just received my Hori Fight Stick Alpha today. It's a bit of an odd duck in some puzzling and possibly dealbreaker ways.

First some pictures, forgive the quality, I'm in an extreme amount of back pain today.

This is the inside of the thing.

So you open it up to store the USB cord, and the insides are potentially a bit overexposed, other sticks I've used had more thorough protection over the button/stick wiring.

You basically thread the cable through the gap between the two clips that hold the stick shut.

The structure of the stick is odd because of how it's hinged at one end and folds over. It's basically more like a book or a binder than a "box", if that makes sense.

What I find particularly perplexing about it is that it has a switch to swap between PS5, PS4 and PC modes. I'm not sure what the difference is between PS5 and PS4 mode though, lower latency perhaps? Because even in PS5 mode, this controller does NOT work with PS5 games that aren't fighting games, basically the same thing affecting existing PS4 sticks. I suspect the Fighting Commander will be similar in this way. Good for people in this thread, maybe less good for other people who want to do stuff like play arcade game collections.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
where do europeans order their brook ufb's from without getting whacked by customs?

ideally something that isn't amazon since i'd prefer to avoid throwing money their way

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

kliras posted:

where do europeans order their brook ufb's from without getting whacked by customs?

ideally something that isn't amazon since i'd prefer to avoid throwing money their way

Arcadeworld used to be my go to but lol the UK. I can vouch for smallcab.net, bought some parts from them last year.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

They (AWUK) have not had stock for the UFB for ages, anyway. I ended up just buying mine from some random eBay store in the UK.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Flatbox allllllmost done. Waiting for the USB-C port to show up so I can take this all back apart, add it to the board, and test it out

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I like the show-through infill pattern! Where'd you order the PCB?

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I like the show-through infill pattern! Where'd you order the PCB?

From JLCPCB as recommended by the designer https://github.com/jfedor2/flatbox

Made the mistake of not requesting SMT assembly for the USBC header so gonna have to give it a go myself, which might make-or-break the whole thing, but we’ll see

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Modded my F500 into a shmix box, but with the added thumb key for extra jumpy uppy goodness.

Thinking about adding a switch that switches the thumb from up to a key.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Boba Pearl posted:

Modded my F500 into a shmix box, but with the added thumb key for extra jumpy uppy goodness.

Thinking about adding a switch that switches the thumb from up to a key.

This is insane, and I love it!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If anyone is looking to buy another stick, the 8bitDo one is on sale today

https://twitter.com/8BitDo/status/1546733707394187264

I have this stick and use it exclusively. Stock parts are pretty good imo! Easily moddable if you want. Probably my favorite feature is when you change between Switch and PC modes, the button letter layout on the stick also changes accordingly because they're like little LEDs or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

teagone posted:

If anyone is looking to buy another stick, the 8bitDo one is on sale today

https://twitter.com/8BitDo/status/1546733707394187264

I have this stick and use it exclusively. Stock parts are pretty good imo! Easily moddable if you want. Probably my favorite feature is when you change between Switch and PC modes, the button letter layout on the stick also changes accordingly because they're like little LEDs or something.

I keep seeing that pop up and am tempted to get it but then have to remind myself that I have a TE2+ and a HRAP sitting gathering dust because none of my friends want to play fighting games anymore

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/c/ScanlineCity/videos

I found this guy's videos a couple years back when looking for stuff about my HRAP. It's neat to see the older sticks that were popular before Madcatz entered the game with the TE.

He started posting again recently because he's involved with a re-release of the MAS stick. The history behind it is really interesting and it's a shame what happened to the family last year. A portion of the revenue will be going to their kids it sounds like.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Where's the best place to get bat top replacements for ball top arcade sticks?

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Medullah posted:

focusattack.com, paradisearcadeshop.com, arcadeshock.com should have you covered. It should be the same thread inside as what you have, so double-check against that. What's the original stick?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HerniaFlange posted:

focusattack.com, paradisearcadeshop.com, arcadeshock.com should have you covered. It should be the same thread inside as what you have, so double-check against that. What's the original stick?

I actually went all in and got a Gameroomsolutions 4 player cabinet.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Medullah posted:

focus attack has really good aluminium milled ones, I used one on a stick of mine and loved it

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have a sort of odd question-- last night I installed a JLF into my Qanba Drone and something feels a little off compared to the JLF in my ancient MadCatz TE. When I push the stick all the way to the gate, it feels like something "gives" a tiny bit. If I push in the same direction again it doesn't do it, but then if I push it in the opposite direction it does again, so it feels like something inside is shifting slightly under pressure from the stick. The gate feels solid so I'm wondering if it's the actuator moving slightly? I did take the JLF apart to replace the spring with a heavier one so I don't know if I hosed something up on reassembly or what. It also might just be that the Drone itself is not nearly as solid as my TE stick was.

Not a big deal and doesn't really affect play at all, I'm just slightly curious as to what I hosed uo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I've had a bent c clip feel like it's sticking/giving in certain directions. Talking like, noticeably bent to the point where it is visibly not flat.

edit: -an extra word

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 26, 2022