Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Slaan posted:

I'm glad you like the blades so much. From games are difficult and annoying... until you find the weapon you love. Once you do? :discourse:

I would agree, even outside the souls kind of games, if you can find a build that clicks with you then Fromsoft games are a nice wild romp. And really its great that you can do a bunch of different builds and still be successful in Fromsoft games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nat goes to school, holds a class on killing things in doorways.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

As I said,

SIGSEGV posted:

This game is like a strange nightmare of being in England.
Then you slowly wake up and realize that, to your growing horror, you are, in fact, actually in England.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Seems like the deciding factor in the Shadows fight was being able to get fireball dude with his back against a wall so he can't run, and coincidentally having the other two take long enough to path around the obstacles to give you time to stab fireball dude to death. It does seem mercifully easy to stagger the shadows out of their attack animations, even with small weapons.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Seems like the deciding factor in the Shadows fight was being able to get fireball dude with his back against a wall so he can't run, and coincidentally having the other two take long enough to path around the obstacles to give you time to stab fireball dude to death. It does seem mercifully easy to stagger the shadows out of their attack animations, even with small weapons.

I feel like the blades just have better stagger than the rifle spear or the cane do with their normal attacks. Can't tell for sure though.

But yeah, a lot of my confidence when I was repeating the fight came from knowing that the fireball dude was one incorrect dodge from death at basically any point.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, the blades of mercy are really vicious, once you had the shadow backed into a corner where he couldn't dodge properly, it was a done deal.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
form an orderly queue and get wrecked nerds

and I love the ennui of that last one

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, go ahead and stab me. It's better than listening to Professor Borecraft lecture on the nature of reality again :effort:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So owing to OBS deciding it was just randomly going to change my settings, our last session recorded but with no game audio playing.

We have enough of a backlog that this shouldn't matter for episodes in general but owing to the wonderful system of being unable to make backup saves, our episode on Monday will have a montage of me killing a bunch of things at the beginning.

If anyone has appropriate music to set Bloodborne fights to, now is the time.

((No I am not replaying the entire game to this point))

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i love the Blades of Mercy, they were my primary weapon my first playthrough, up until I got the Chikage. Very good R1 spam but it really shines in its dodge attack, IMO

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hell yeah Augur

one of the best items in the game

Up to you to figure out why, if you care to

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Natural 20 posted:

If anyone has appropriate music to set Bloodborne fights to, now is the time.

Just play 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' over it, since there was a stretch of time where it was the go-to song for videogame background music once it entered the public domain.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

EricFate posted:

Just play 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' over it, since there was a stretch of time where it was the go-to song for videogame background music once it entered the public domain.

You're nicer than me, I was going to suggest Yakety Sax.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Explopyro posted:

You're nicer than me, I was going to suggest Yakety Sax.

This is the clear choice

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pour que no los dos? At the same time. :getin:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ram Ranch is an eternal classic for a reason. Probably not the one you are looking for though.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
It's the eye of the tiger.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Police Squad theme imo

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Naked Gun theme complete with rotating beacon overlaid

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

Naked Gun theme complete with rotating beacon overlaid

This is the energy Nat sometimes has.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

This is the energy Nat sometimes has.

Posted them in other threads but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw1O6jpASTI

This but in Bloodborne

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That scene where they shoot each other from extremely close range but it's the rifle spear hunter just blasting away

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

That scene where they shoot each other from extremely close range but it's the rifle spear hunter just blasting away

Rifle spear hunter vs Blunderbuss at like 9 feet :q:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2zB9GafZew

Super drunk

Enjoy episode

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, the traditional frustrating-rear end poison area.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Ah, the traditional frustrating-rear end poison area.

If nat had just killed the frenzy thing he would have made it on the first run.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm a big fan of this episode. Good to see Nat has good taste in webcomics.

EDIT: To comment in more detail on the actual gameplay, everyone hates the Nightmare Frontier, it's a miserable area that's no fun, which is seemingly obligatory in every FromSoft title. You're actually doing fine now, Nat, and York's weird, bitter rants about "hubris" and "proper hunters" are kind of starting to sound uncomfortably sincere, rather than the joke I've been assuming them to be. Like, you're officially having a totally normal time playing Bloodborne.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 20, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab posted:

If nat had just killed the frenzy thing he would have made it on the first run.

This fact is likely to be eaten by the montage, but those things continue to frenzy you even if you kill them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nightmare Frontier has a good bunch of items well hidden that I force myself to collect in NG (and ignore on NG+ cycles) but jeez, I'd rate it worse than 60fps DS Remastered blightown (17fps blightown is just a no no).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

This fact is likely to be eaten by the montage, but those things continue to frenzy you even if you kill them.

Really, well then

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm a big fan of this episode. Good to see Nat has good taste in webcomics.
Fun fact: the author is a goon.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

the real pro move on what I assume are lanterns (haven't watched yet) is to parry their grab attack and visceral them. the frenzy should go off during the visceral and cause zero damage and the build up will cease

oh those messenger blue lamps are lit up as you reach them, they're little indicators of places you've been and I find them most useful in chalice dungeons

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 20, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

For a few moments, killing them does shut it down but it lingers a little. It's rude!

Generally I also think the Frontier is the worst area in the game, it's just unneccessarily confusing on top of being the Obligatory Poison Swamp. Very easy to get lost in even on repeated replays.

It does have a shortcut in the parts you've generally seen, though, not a super useful one but it exists. You can also fall down, down down quite a lot of it and get through it faster. The hunters don't respawn, making the first area much easier to just run through, and knowing how to reach the rock throwers from behind also adds a bit of a meta-reduced difficulty. It's still got the From design touches!

Overall, a key problem is however that you seem to just be insanely pissed off by the game killing you outright, and that's a mindset thing that can't be argued away. I personally do not care about dying in From games at all, and I care less if the game just goes "lol you're dead now". I think it's actually insanely funny and cool that the designers put a deadly trap here. Too few games are bold enough to risk pissing their players off. If this weren't an LP, they'd lose you here - they'd have lost you long ago, honestly - and the people at From basically say "that's fine by us, you'll never buy another From game, but we are absolutely willing to accept that". I'll buy this poo poo until I die because I LOVE this boldness. I LOVE seeing a clear vision that purposefully includes "we are going to attempt to kill you", because that also includes a) me coming back with knowledge on the second attempt, tripping the trap and avoiding it and going "heh, fool me once", and b) the option of me seeing it coming, or getting got but not dying because I react properly in the moment, and feeling like a champion.

If you do not like these moments nearly as much as I do, if you do not accept that in order for them to exist you sometimes just need to eat poo poo, then yeah, this game will sometimes be extremely unfun for you.

Anyway, I also think Tea's struggling hard with how much he's willing to help you. If he had not told you that Frontier is optional, you might have felt a lot differently about only giving it one more go before giving it a chance entirely. Same goes for other areas he's marked as "optional", actually. However, the result might also have been you assuming that Frontier is NOT optional, bashing your head against it for an entire episode and having less and less fun each time until you end up just miserable.

(or you would have succeeded eventually but ended the episode with "I killed a boss I guess but I hated getting there so much that the victory means nothing")

On a final note, Frontier is actually not optional if you want to do Chalice stuff. The Coldblood Flowerbuds in there are often overlooked, but you absolutely need them a few levels of Chalice down, and there's a more obvious thing I'm not gonna spoil of course.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

For a few moments, killing them does shut it down but it lingers a little. It's rude!

Generally I also think the Frontier is the worst area in the game, it's just unneccessarily confusing on top of being the Obligatory Poison Swamp. Very easy to get lost in even on repeated replays.

It does have a shortcut in the parts you've generally seen, though, not a super useful one but it exists. You can also fall down, down down quite a lot of it and get through it faster. The hunters don't respawn, making the first area much easier to just run through, and knowing how to reach the rock throwers from behind also adds a bit of a meta-reduced difficulty. It's still got the From design touches!

Overall, a key problem is however that you seem to just be insanely pissed off by the game killing you outright, and that's a mindset thing that can't be argued away. I personally do not care about dying in From games at all, and I care less if the game just goes "lol you're dead now". I think it's actually insanely funny and cool that the designers put a deadly trap here. Too few games are bold enough to risk pissing their players off. If this weren't an LP, they'd lose you here - they'd have lost you long ago, honestly - and the people at From basically say "that's fine by us, you'll never buy another From game, but we are absolutely willing to accept that". I'll buy this poo poo until I die because I LOVE this boldness. I LOVE seeing a clear vision that purposefully includes "we are going to attempt to kill you", because that also includes a) me coming back with knowledge on the second attempt, tripping the trap and avoiding it and going "heh, fool me once", and b) the option of me seeing it coming, or getting got but not dying because I react properly in the moment, and feeling like a champion.

If you do not like these moments nearly as much as I do, if you do not accept that in order for them to exist you sometimes just need to eat poo poo, then yeah, this game will sometimes be extremely unfun for you.

Anyway, I also think Tea's struggling hard with how much he's willing to help you. If he had not told you that Frontier is optional, you might have felt a lot differently about only giving it one more go before giving it a chance entirely. Same goes for other areas he's marked as "optional", actually. However, the result might also have been you assuming that Frontier is NOT optional, bashing your head against it for an entire episode and having less and less fun each time until you end up just miserable.

(or you would have succeeded eventually but ended the episode with "I killed a boss I guess but I hated getting there so much that the victory means nothing")

On a final note, Frontier is actually not optional if you want to do Chalice stuff. The Coldblood Flowerbuds in there are often overlooked, but you absolutely need them a few levels of Chalice down, and there's a more obvious thing I'm not gonna spoil of course.

As a spoiler and personal childhood experience

One of my earliest games on the PS1 was the original Armored Core. I absolutely loved some of the levels that just had stuff environmental that would kill you or put pressure on you. The undersea level where the one guy tries to kill you in a trap was a particular favorite of mine

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

By the way, these are called Winter Lanterns because, IIRC, it's the Japanese name for physalis / groundcherries, and the heads look kinda like them.

Also you will eventually learn how to beat the poo poo out of poison swamps. For example, getting an idea of the layout, or the design behind the layout and just loving book it past everything. From games are games and, in the end, want to be beaten.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Once again I apologise for the loss of our recordings. I hope this makes up for it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I am so happy to hear you went for that solution for the sound effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Wonderful work. Thank you for teaching us all the true meaning of Whapeesh.