Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ah another Nat20 LP.

:krakentoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fromsoft games also encourage some exploration, even if there are no enemies or no plot there are generally goodies stashed off the beaten path, and really smash everything, unless you are given warning that smashing something in particular is bad, smash.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Like with the first fight when trying to do it via fisticuffs, if Nat had used a blood vial just once strategically he could have cleared it bare handed like a proper gentleman.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I will say

I am a God Gamer for a reason

And you disgusting mortals dare to DOUBT ME

I have no doubts, but you need to explore more, fromsoft games reward poking in odd corners that have nothing else going for them Thats where they hide the GOOD stuff

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

WHYYYYYYY?

As someone experienced with Fromsoft games, this is normal

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Clearly the Answer is making Nat20 play other FromSoft games.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

Yeah, let's start with AC4A, that one is good, clean fun.

If we are doing AC we should start with the original and then mix in the good ones.

YorkshireTea, make Nat20 play the AC series, let's see what god gaming Nat can do there.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 4, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

ah yes, Gatling Sniper

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nat you want to get other stats up just so you can play with some of the more interesting weapon choices.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nat, I like to try out everything at least once and then go with what I find clicks best with me,

Also Nat, really you are running into an issue where you are trying to manipulate the game so much that it is detrimental to your play and enjoyment. That segment in the start of the video, that gallery there he can't actually gatling you, but you were so shook you pulled everything slowly. With the Hunter enemy, you were far too stuck on trying to do the "One trick shot into stab" and you wasted a lot of time and health as well as allowing the enemy to dictate the fight pace.

At the same time when it got down to the sticks and you actually focused and tried things you were able to get down the enemies pattern enough to prepare enhanced stabs in advance and take them down relatively quickly at the end.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Slaan posted:

Check out your blood gem fortification screen again. Upgrading the cane did something

Yes, Go back, GO BACK and look at your cane

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMnAqGwdqzc

Art will be along when I'm not getting drunk with Tea.

Good job Nat you got em. I feel dog boy is best exploited though his charge as long as you dodge it you can carve into his side fairly easily.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Here's a bit of a boss analysis.
- you can break his limbs like most beast bosses'. The forelegs are obvious and it happened often, but you can also break the hind ones - they are much more durable tho - and the head, which happened at the end with the BMA'd gunshot
- limb breaks stun the boss for a bit (not a stagger that can be visceral punished, so it doesn't play the you-parried-sound, TEA) and make further hits on the limb deal more damage
- the boss always responds to a leg break with an AOE explosion, so punishing his stun is actually a bad idea, at least if you wildly combo your stam away
- the phase transition is signified by the big explosion where it sucks sparks in. This doubles as its limb heal move, making the legs take less damage again, but open the boss up to being staggered again
- trying to break the head is insanely risky, but if you find a good way to do it (e.g. by whipping it from far enough away that you can evade the bites), you can really rack up damage after it's broken. Maybe not the best tactic, but it exists
- you cannot parry any move this boss does. It's simply too big

I don't like Watchdog much in practice - it is a boss that forces you to be defensive, to avoid its constant tantrums, AOE explosions, and of course the charge, and that is not fun in BB's system - but it's definitely well thought out overall. Again, this is a boss that would be better in a Souls game.

Whipping the boss to death has its own detailed strategy guide for speed running it

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Well that fight ended far differently then I expected

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nat is someone who will end themselves up doing end game content with terrible builds and a weapon that doesn't fit their style, and still win.

Also you missed some important admittedly optional content and interactions there. Since he is dead now, I will also say the way to pacify Djura can be found in there as well

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Try a different weapon Nat, seriously you might enjoy some of them

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

On weapons and playstyle:
It's ironic, really - what's winding some people up is that you are intentionally missing out on a lot of the breadth of the game, but is precisely because of the game design allowing the player to succeed with any one of a variety of weapons and playstyles that you are able to do it. And it's fine.
It's the same as Pokemon. Want to solo the game with your best buddy starter, who's monstrously overlevelled due to being a party of one? Sure you can. Accumulate a balanced team as you go to deal with any type of threat? Also works fine. Meticulously plan your roster, swapping mons in and out until you have an unstoppable team of legendaries? Hell yes. Just roll with whichever mons you think look the classiest? Yup, you can also beat the game like this.

On agression:
I think that the "be aggressive" thing is only true if you are looking at it as a specific comparison to dark souls. Compared to a lot of other games, then it's just "play normally, I guess", and compared to something like bayonetta it's "be extremely conservative". Dark souls combat is really slow and tactical since most enemies will kill you in a few hits, and attacking & dodging uses up a lot of your stamina. Patience and timing is everything - and you're probably also carrying a shield.

Shields in DS were so drat good that you can deal with most enemies by waiting until they bonk an attack off your shield, which puts them into a recoil/stun animation allowing you ample time to murder them. The wooden shield that we just picked up is a direct nod and wink to this - it's a useless gimmick item that is there to tell you, "hey Dark Souls fan, don't bother trying to hide behind a shield, you have to actually dodge and kill stuff fast before you make a mistake and die".

It does allow to you succeed with really your pick of the builds, but Nat is not even trying out things and then complains. Nat is even doing farming runs which are a perfect place to try out some different toys for beast killin.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

I have never played one of these games before but stubbornly optimizing for one thing (a skill cane build) instead of keeping your options open during a semi-blind first playthrough isn't the prudent thing to do. You lack the necessary information to know what is or isn't worth fully committing your resources to, after all.

Like, If I want to make an optimized character on my own, I'm going to throughly research the character options and game mechanics first. Otherwise, I'm going to either play a balanced character that can be taken in any direction in the late game or (yuck) straight up copypaste someone else's build.

This especially holds if you don't trust the designers to have balanced all the options. Just because a build seems viable in the early game doesn't mean it'll be viable to beat the endboss with. Given your experience so far, Nat, do you trust the From Soft team to make the skill cane build worth it in the end?

One thing about Fromsoft games in general is that you don't NEED to upgrade any weapons, you can generally beat the game using starting gear if you have the skill

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Look, at least Nat has a spear now... I mean one Nat will actually use.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Finally using a different weapon

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I am just glad Nat seems to be settling into the game and enjoying it more as he goes throughout the woods.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Apologies for the late release everyone! I was out longer than expected.

The old multiboss routine, I wonder how long it will take Nat to get used to it and just crush them like the mantis lords.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nat, you should pvp Tea, no cooperation, only stabbing

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Slaan posted:

I'm glad you like the blades so much. From games are difficult and annoying... until you find the weapon you love. Once you do? :discourse:

I would agree, even outside the souls kind of games, if you can find a build that clicks with you then Fromsoft games are a nice wild romp. And really its great that you can do a bunch of different builds and still be successful in Fromsoft games

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nat goes to school, holds a class on killing things in doorways.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Ah, the traditional frustrating-rear end poison area.

If nat had just killed the frenzy thing he would have made it on the first run.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

This fact is likely to be eaten by the montage, but those things continue to frenzy you even if you kill them.

Really, well then

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

For a few moments, killing them does shut it down but it lingers a little. It's rude!

Generally I also think the Frontier is the worst area in the game, it's just unneccessarily confusing on top of being the Obligatory Poison Swamp. Very easy to get lost in even on repeated replays.

It does have a shortcut in the parts you've generally seen, though, not a super useful one but it exists. You can also fall down, down down quite a lot of it and get through it faster. The hunters don't respawn, making the first area much easier to just run through, and knowing how to reach the rock throwers from behind also adds a bit of a meta-reduced difficulty. It's still got the From design touches!

Overall, a key problem is however that you seem to just be insanely pissed off by the game killing you outright, and that's a mindset thing that can't be argued away. I personally do not care about dying in From games at all, and I care less if the game just goes "lol you're dead now". I think it's actually insanely funny and cool that the designers put a deadly trap here. Too few games are bold enough to risk pissing their players off. If this weren't an LP, they'd lose you here - they'd have lost you long ago, honestly - and the people at From basically say "that's fine by us, you'll never buy another From game, but we are absolutely willing to accept that". I'll buy this poo poo until I die because I LOVE this boldness. I LOVE seeing a clear vision that purposefully includes "we are going to attempt to kill you", because that also includes a) me coming back with knowledge on the second attempt, tripping the trap and avoiding it and going "heh, fool me once", and b) the option of me seeing it coming, or getting got but not dying because I react properly in the moment, and feeling like a champion.

If you do not like these moments nearly as much as I do, if you do not accept that in order for them to exist you sometimes just need to eat poo poo, then yeah, this game will sometimes be extremely unfun for you.

Anyway, I also think Tea's struggling hard with how much he's willing to help you. If he had not told you that Frontier is optional, you might have felt a lot differently about only giving it one more go before giving it a chance entirely. Same goes for other areas he's marked as "optional", actually. However, the result might also have been you assuming that Frontier is NOT optional, bashing your head against it for an entire episode and having less and less fun each time until you end up just miserable.

(or you would have succeeded eventually but ended the episode with "I killed a boss I guess but I hated getting there so much that the victory means nothing")

On a final note, Frontier is actually not optional if you want to do Chalice stuff. The Coldblood Flowerbuds in there are often overlooked, but you absolutely need them a few levels of Chalice down, and there's a more obvious thing I'm not gonna spoil of course.

As a spoiler and personal childhood experience

One of my earliest games on the PS1 was the original Armored Core. I absolutely loved some of the levels that just had stuff environmental that would kill you or put pressure on you. The undersea level where the one guy tries to kill you in a trap was a particular favorite of mine

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

poo poo finally begins to get real.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Breaking out the ole Tentacle Arm now

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Well... you uh... huh... You Broke it

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You should play Armored Core though Nat,

You really should'

It has giant robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

Actually watching nat20 learn to murder AC4A would be very funny, also it's a good game, also there's a lot of fun history about it to explain to bewildered people.

Nat should murder ALL the AC games, but AC4A is a good start