Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

On weapons and playstyle:
It's ironic, really - what's winding some people up is that you are intentionally missing out on a lot of the breadth of the game, but is precisely because of the game design allowing the player to succeed with any one of a variety of weapons and playstyles that you are able to do it. And it's fine.
It's the same as Pokemon. Want to solo the game with your best buddy starter, who's monstrously overlevelled due to being a party of one? Sure you can. Accumulate a balanced team as you go to deal with any type of threat? Also works fine. Meticulously plan your roster, swapping mons in and out until you have an unstoppable team of legendaries? Hell yes. Just roll with whichever mons you think look the classiest? Yup, you can also beat the game like this.

On agression:
I think that the "be aggressive" thing is only true if you are looking at it as a specific comparison to dark souls. Compared to a lot of other games, then it's just "play normally, I guess", and compared to something like bayonetta it's "be extremely conservative". Dark souls combat is really slow and tactical since most enemies will kill you in a few hits, and attacking & dodging uses up a lot of your stamina. Patience and timing is everything - and you're probably also carrying a shield.

Shields in DS were so drat good that you can deal with most enemies by waiting until they bonk an attack off your shield, which puts them into a recoil/stun animation allowing you ample time to murder them. The wooden shield that we just picked up is a direct nod and wink to this - it's a useless gimmick item that is there to tell you, "hey Dark Souls fan, don't bother trying to hide behind a shield, you have to actually dodge and kill stuff fast before you make a mistake and die".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

White Coke posted:

When Nat was talking about the rally mechanic while fighting giants it looked like he was just standing in front of them trading blows trying to make a point about the futility of aggression, but that is not the kind of aggression anyone is advocating for.

Yeah, I agree, just trying to find a good way to define what everyone means when they say "be aggressive". Less "go berserker" and more "just keep fighting and dodging normally and the game will forgive you some of your lost HP, you can wait until the next hit before you really have to heal".

AtomikKrab posted:

It does allow to you succeed with really your pick of the builds, but Nat is not even trying out things and then complains. Nat is even doing farming runs which are a perfect place to try out some different toys for beast killin.

Exactly, despite being famed for being difficult, the From games are kinda forgiving in that you can still do just fine without min/maxing your stats. Putting a few points into a non-core stat to experiment with different gear might seem like a permanent mistake, but in the end player skill trumps all - which is, I think, why a lot of the combat is so satisfying.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh yeah, rolling through pots and barrels is the true thread that holds the soulsborne series together.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Obligatum VII posted:

I would agree that the lack of easy respeccing is frustrating and, like the blood vial farming, a deeply questionable decision that they should have known better by now since they had already done the estus system to good effect in two other games. Heck, DS2 had estus *and* the farmable healing items in the form of life gems. They had also realized respecs should be accessible in DS2 but backpedaled in Bloodborne (my memory is admittedly vague here. I'm not sure bloodborne even had a respec at all) and then made them accessible again in DS3 and Elden Ring. From is really weird about what lessons they actually seem to learn from previous games (probably due to their issues with high levels of employee churn, resulting in less retained knowledge).

Huh, I was wondering about what other people thought about DS2's system. For all the game's flaws I think it's okay: most of the time you can rely on estus and the delay on lifegem healing stops them from being too overpowered. The reduced HP on hollowing and enemy extinction stuff can gently caress right off though, those were awful decisions.

Maybe they thought an estus equivalent would be too much given the rally system is a thing, but there's definitely a skill barrier before anyone hits that point, I think. And definitely agree that farming sucks, farming anything in any game is crap.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I stabbed my way through most of DS2 with the rapier, so I can see the attraction to the spear. Being able to switch to a sweepy moveset on transformation looks really useful too.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Seems like the deciding factor in the Shadows fight was being able to get fireball dude with his back against a wall so he can't run, and coincidentally having the other two take long enough to path around the obstacles to give you time to stab fireball dude to death. It does seem mercifully easy to stagger the shadows out of their attack animations, even with small weapons.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, the blades of mercy are really vicious, once you had the shadow backed into a corner where he couldn't dodge properly, it was a done deal.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Simply Simon posted:

I mean there's a very significant point at the end there, you do not think that playing Bloodborne is fun, apparently? For me, slicing through fools with ever-dumber weapons is the time of my life, if I die whatever, I just get to slice some more while I make it back to where a trap killed me and I went "oh, you". If the fundamental gameplay doesn't excite you at all, then yeah, redoing bits of it obviously will feel like a terrible chore. That's a fundamental issue that cannot be argued away, and I won't attempt to!

Yeah, for me the souls games are fun because the I find the combat engaging, the game is constantly keeping you on your toes with tricks and traps in its level design, and there's a real sense of challenge and danger because even the early-game mooks can kill you if you're overconfident or fail to see/react to something in your surroundings. I guess if this doesn't gel with you, and you don't like the vague environmental storytelling style, then there's probably not much there for you. And that's OK too.

Personally, I think it would be better if the plot was a little more explicitly explained. Like just enough to give us a stronger idea of where we should go next plotwise besides "this area opened up, let's explore it" - a clearer sense of "what you currently seek is in this direction/location" wouldn't go amiss.
At this point in the game my understanding from what we've seen is Yharnam went nuts after deciding it was a great idea to mainline a bunch of shoggoth blood that they found in a spooky tomb. So now there's a slumbering eldritch god, possibly an infant one, whose nightmares are blending into reality and and turning everything into monsters. The mensis ritual, whatever it is, might have summoned it and/or is otherwise preventing us from getting to and stopping it somehow.

Anyway, I really liked that the amygdala's "attack" is kinda just picking you up and taking a good look at you before putting you back on the ground - it's on brand to act as if they don't realise that being in the literal grasp of an elder god drives you insane to the point where your head actually explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Eh, that I get. At least, I have mental scars from early-patch Diablo 2 where spending a few points early on to try stuff out was a permanent investment in lategame pain, where those earlygame points in the healing aura and shield bash skill spend the entire rest of the game laughing at you every time you open the skill tree. There's no way to really know how effective a weapon or spell is going to be (or how much you like them) until you drop those points in, which is pretty daunting in a game without respecs.