Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That's what you get for not paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Wonder how many updates it will take for Nat to remember that he has a gun.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

What's a gun?

A miserable little pile of secrets.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Or you use them to top off if you're just a little short of what you want to spend on, so you don't risk going out to farm that last bit, die, and lose everything.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The issue of not having a clear goal is one of the reasons I haven't gotten through this game. Dark Souls is much better about that, as you always know what you're trying to accomplish and why.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Explopyro posted:

Back on topic, I think I agree that the vial system is less good at communicating how they want you to interact with it than Hollow Knight's soul is, and it sounds like later From games have improved in this aspect.

Earlier ones. The flask system described by Bruceski was used in the original Dark Souls, and works much better for setting expectations.

It is one of the reasons that I always thought Nat would actually like that game if he spent long enough to get used to the movement (which, IIRC, was his reason for disliking it).

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There is a fourth potential justification besides the three you mention - the pause gives you time to process the fight between runs, while also giving you the opportunity to practice some of the basic skills you need. In this case, for example, it very much looked like you were able to figure out Gascgoine's parry windows between runs by practicing on the intermediate enemies.

Gascgoine seems to be a much more complex early boss than in other Soulslike games, as does the Cleric Beast, which likely adds to the frustration you're talking about here.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It looks like Cleric Beast is a much more straightforward fight, and a lot closer analogue to the first "actual" boss in Dark Souls. Suspect you'd have had a less frustrating onboarding if you had fought it first.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Pumping stats up just high enough to get access to new weapons is a fairly worthwhile use of them in other games of this type. You've already had one boss fight where the versatility of having two different weapons available was a big help.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Tea's commentary about efficiency at the end kind of misses the point a bit. He puts it in terms of "needing a handicap", which isn't really correct.

Efficiency comes at a cost, a very real one. What that cost is varies from game to game. Sometimes the "most efficient" path involves fighting very boringly or overthinking everything to death, but it can also make things more difficult (because the most resource efficient way is harder than just charging in and spending resources to advance), or blind you to other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Simply Simon posted:

I 100% agree with Nat on the blood vials. This is the exact kind of situation where the system is just really stupid. You know you can beat the boss in a few more tries, and want to keep practicing, but for every three tries you have to stop building up muscle memory and learning moves and go for a pointless boring farming run. Yes, Nat could go "somewhere else", but he's obviously perfectly capable of beating BSB right here, right now, and he does not need more weapon upgrades, he does not need more resources, it's just a matter of trying a few more times and figuring out the third phase.

Agreed. The blood vial system just seems so poorly thought out.