Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hi.

Spinoff thread from USCE for people to post about these 1/6 hearings as they happen

https://apnews.com/article/where-to-watch-jan-6-committee-hearings-98a4f76f23a5bab1ab6ed1638fd93294

There's a live link to watch it in that article but I can't direct link it. Should be easy enough to find and starts at 8pm

Not sure how much the forums care about this anymore but I do so...anyway...here's the thread for it since I didn't see another one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

WASHINGTON (AP) — Nearly a year since its inception, the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol will go public with its findings starting Thursday night as lawmakers hope to show the American public how democracy came to the brink of disaster.

The series of hearings that will take place over the next several weeks begin with a prime-time session Thursday night in which the nine-member panel plans to give an overview of its 11-month investigation. More than 1,000 people have been interviewed by the panel, and only snippets of that testimony have been revealed to the public, mostly through court filings.

What you need to know ahead of the hearing:

WHEN WILL THE HEARING TAKE PLACE?

The first of six hearings is set to go live at 8 p.m. EDT on Thursday. It will take place in a large House office building in the U.S. Capitol complex. Lawmakers plan to have witnesses testify and to display a series of never-before-seen images and exhibits relating to the lead-up to the insurrection and the attack itself.

WHO IS EXPECTED TO TESTIFY?

Thursday’s prime-time hearing will open with eyewitness testimony from the first police officer pummeled in the mob riot and from a documentary filmmaker tracking the extremist Proud Boys, who prepared to fight for Trump immediately after the election, and led the storming of the Capitol.

It will also feature the committee’s accounts from Trump’s aides and family members, interviewed behind closed doors, of the deadly siege that Democrats and others say put U.S. democracy at risk.

British filmmaker Nick Quested, who recorded members of the far-right Proud Boys extremist group as they stormed the building, and Caroline Edwards, a U.S. Capitol Police officer who was seriously injured in the attack, will be among the witnesses.

In subsequent hearings, the committee has reached out to a group of Trump-era Justice Department officials, including Jeffrey Rosen, the acting attorney general at the time of the riot, about having them as witnesses, according to a person familiar with the matter who insisted on anonymity to discuss private conversations.

WHAT WILL THE HEARING ENTAIL?

The first hearing is expected to be a table-setter for the rest of the subsequent hearings. The committee, comprised of seven Democrats and two Republicans, plans to lay out several areas of information it has gathered throughout its investigation. Lawmakers are also expected to focus part of the first hearing on far-right extremists who broke into the building that day.

The panel’s probe has so far been divided into a series of focus areas, including the efforts by former President Trump and his allies to cast doubt on the election and halt the certification of President Joe Biden’s victory; the financing and organizing of rallies in Washington that took place before the attack; security failures by Capitol Police and federal agencies; and the actions of the rioters themselves.

WILL THERE BE NEW DETAILS ABOUT THE INSURRECTION?

Several members of the committee have promised new and explosive information to arise from the public hearings, but it remains unclear what that will entail.

The hearings are expected to be exhaustive but not the final word from the committee. It plans to release subsequent reports on its findings, including recommendations on legislative reforms, ahead of the midterm elections.

Let me know if I should add something to the OP but I think most people here know what this is. I was just making a space for it

Added a calendar by request

Discendo Vox posted:

Biggerboat, could we get this calendar link that Tesseraction (and iirc one other goon) provided added to the OP?

https://www.justsecurity.org/88039/trumps-legal-and-political-calendar-all-the-dates-you-need-to-know/

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I am buckling in.

“Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are.”

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Considering the Big Four networks (yes, Fox included) are covering this, I expect this to make a bigger impact than what the average D&D poster expects, which is to say I think there will be an impact.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Edward Mass posted:

Considering the Big Four networks (yes, Fox included) are covering this, I expect this to make a bigger impact than what the average D&D poster expects, which is to say I think there will be an impact.

We're a jaded lot but time will tell.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Maybe, but tonight is probably going to be performative and I expect the rest of it to play out like both of Trump's impeachments and the Kavanaugh hearing. Meaning I already know what people are going to say not only in the chamber but the pundits as well. The fact that it's 7 Dems and 2 Republicans right there is an automatic "witch hunt" on talk radio and FOX with a sprinkling of "what about all those angry black people that burnt down or looted a Target store?" poo poo thrown in. CNN is going to run SHOCKING REVELATIONS in Bold Headlines that are going to push Uvalde off their front page since it's been over a week and that completes that cycle until the next time.

Democrats are going to do jack and poo poo about any of it and 3/4 of the Republican base are going to view the whole inserruction as a good thing since over 70% of their voters honestly believe the big lie while they label the 2 Republicans on the comittee as RINOS, now ripe for primarying.

I don't think we're going to learn anything new. I watched it unfold in real time on live streams with no media filtering and already know what it was. I saw and heard it with my own eyes. I suspect we might get some bog standard right wing insanity being delivered on the floor, MGT or Gaetz style, that will make soundbites but we've already seen that that doesnt move the needle and in fact the GOP base actually loves it and believes all of it. Some rear end in a top hat (or several) are going to get up there and claim again that the election WAS stolen and defend these gravely concerned American Patriots. Maybe with a Jesus or Jefferson name drop.

It's going to loving suck.

But I figured I'd create a thread for it so as not to poo poo up all the other ones.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, if 70% of the Republican base aren’t going to be swayed no matter what, then you still have 30% you can reach. That’s a lot of voters!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, if 70% of the Republican base aren’t going to be swayed no matter what, then you still have 30% you can reach. That’s a lot of voters!

I see a big future for you in the DNC as a strategist! Get that resume out!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Edward Mass posted:

But is Fox NEWS covering this? I don't think it is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Here we go.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Silly Burrito posted:

But is Fox NEWS covering this? I don't think it is.

WaPo Live said no, Fox isn't, Fox News isn't, you have to get Fox Business to see it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

XboxPants posted:

WaPo Live said no, Fox isn't, Fox News isn't, you have to get Fox Business to see it.

When every other major news source is covering it and Fox isn't, then I think that's a legitimate reason not to allow it to be treated as a legitimate news organization if it doesn't want to report actual news. This should be on Fox and Fox News, period.

/short rant over

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Was curious and switched over to find Tucker JUST ASKING QUESTIONS and ceding conspiracy theories around 01/06.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Countdown to Barr becoming a liberal hero overnight

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Can they set this dude to 1.25x

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Jeez, if they're dropping footage of Bill Barr going "holy gently caress, Tump is a criminal, I'm outta here" in his own words then they're coming out swinging, huh?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah looks like they're actually going for the throat

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Never before seen footage! Deleted scenes!!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

nine-gear crow posted:

Jeez, if they're dropping footage of Bill Barr going "holy gently caress, Tump is a criminal, I'm outta here" in his own words then they're coming out swinging, huh?

I really hope so. Don't hold anything back.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I know people say "Trump isn't the problem, just a symptom of it," but I think he's in the bottom 0.00001% of humanity in terms of total shamelessness. Even Nixon had a breaking point.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

When every other major news source is covering it and Fox isn't, then I think that's a legitimate reason not to allow it to be treated as a legitimate news organization if it doesn't want to report actual news. This should be on Fox and Fox News, period.

/short rant over

That's ridiculous. A media outlet shouldn't be forced to air anything at the government's behest, especially when there are numerous alternatives for viewers.

That's fascist, and doesn't serve the public interest

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

That's ridiculous. A media outlet shouldn't be forced to air anything at the government's behest, especially when there are numerous alternatives for viewers.

That's fascist, and doesn't serve the public interest

Silly Burrito just said it should be and that they aren't is indicative of their priorities. As far as I know, he isn't the government.

Also, that's not what fascism means, lol.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

No one watching Fox news would believe anything that has been said or that will be said. I am sure this will be another conspiracy.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's authoritarian to suggest that they need to air a governmental hearing in order to be considered a legit news source.

You can attack foxnews on other grounds, but don't say they have to follow marching orders & join the dozens of other outlets or they're not legit.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
People are latching on like THIS will finally be the thing that puts Trump in jail. This is just the second half of the Mueller Report, but its hilarious to watch the gullible get their hopes up.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Loved seeing Ivanka Trump on the big screen in the first 30 minutes of the hearing.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Willa Rogers posted:

It's authoritarian to suggest that they need to air a governmental hearing in order to be considered a legit news source.

You can attack foxnews on other grounds, but don't say they have to follow marching orders & join the dozens of other outlets or they're not legit.

I'm not saying that they have to be forced to air a governmental hearing, but if they don't want to report actual news, why should they be treated as a legit news source?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As a longtime political junkie, this is pure loving heroin.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Well, I'd like to see ol' Donny Trump wiggle his way out of THIS jam!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

B B posted:

Well, I'd like to see ol' Donny Trump wiggle his way out of THIS jam!

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bishyaler posted:

People are latching on like THIS will finally be the thing that puts Trump in jail. This is just the second half of the Mueller Report, but its hilarious to watch the gullible get their hopes up.

I mean continuous Benghazi hearings worked out for Republicans so this ain’t the cosmic own you think it is.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
They are coming out swinging but I'm still not confident this will change anything.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm honestly still surprised that the police didn't join the mob.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Melo posted:

They are coming out swinging but I'm still not confident this will change anything.

Same. This is all very cathartic and validating, but it will do absolutely nothing to overcome the sheer overwhelming might of inertia in American society at all levels. The glidepath to doom will continue.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

surf rock posted:

I mean, some of the did. The others got beaten.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

surf rock posted:

Letting the mob in and taking selfies with them counts as joining

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Same. This is all very cathartic and validating, but it will do absolutely nothing to overcome the sheer overwhelming might of inertia in American society at all levels. The glidepath to doom will continue.

I will take some catharsis and validation thank you. I need this.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
LOL Jared Kushner referring to it as "whining" is hilarious

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

surf rock posted:

There were quite a few hero cops in there, surprisingly.

So there's at least one or two not lovely cops

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Jared getting pilloried rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

Jared getting pilloried rn

As he should be imo