Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Morrow posted:

You still need money to organize or get out the vote. A lukewarm Trump supporter who doesn't make it to the booth could have with the right push. A place where Trump is guaranteed not to win, or where he isn't on the ballot, could decimate the down ticket.

Also a lot of the money isn't just being redirected to Trump's campaign for use to get him elected. It's being diverted to his legal bills and being embezzled both through legal and illegal means. Add on top of that that nitty gritty and small ball political expenditures like getting out the vote and registering voters aren't what Trump's campaign focus on.

There's a limited pool of money that Republicans as a whole can use for their campaigns. Small donors are limited by how much they're financially able to give, and most of them are mainlining the koolaid for the cult. Medium donors are limited by legal limits, and ol' Donny has found a way to hoover up as much of their money too by insisting that all fundraiser events he shows up to are the financial equivalent of his Legal Fund Banquet for Giulliani. Large donors can still spend like firehoses, but the very few limitations on Super PACs makes them wildly inefficient and untargeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eric Trump in a bad Halloween costume.

This is common misunderstanding; he just looks like that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Right, my point is that even that is just what he claims he's doing. Just because you've caught one layer of lies doesn't mean there isn't another further layer of additional lies under that. For example, here, it is absolutely possible that the people running the PAC are just outright stealing money from the PAC and putting it somewhere else where Trump can access it personally. He's done it before, that's why he's not allowed to run a charity in New York state any more.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/nyregion/ny-ag-underwood-trump-foundation.html

If you see Trump hand a ten dollar bill to patient in a burn ward you have to check under the bandages to make sure that patient isn't just Eric Trump in a bad Halloween costume. Every word they say is a lie, including "the".

There's no reason for them to steal money from the PAC, though. It's completely legal for Trump to use Save America PAC money for his own personal benefit. There's no need for him to hide it, and no particular indication that he's trying to hide it. Also, hiding it would be a huge mistake given the massive amount of legal scrutiny he's already under - Save America PAC has already been subpoenaed twice as part of the various investigations against Trump, though one of the subpoenas was later withdrawn.

The Trump Foundation wasn't shut down for lying about where he sent money. That Trump Foundation money really was going to charities and nonprofits. The problem is that he arranged things so that he would personally benefit from the legitimate charity donations, such as:
  • publicly promising to donate to charities and then making the donation with Trump Foundation money instead of his own money
  • buying stuff at charity auctions and then using that stuff at his businesses
  • making donations to a group and then getting invited by that same group to come speak at an event
  • donating to a group which then pays to hold a fundraising event at a Trump Organization property
  • settling a legal case with a promise to donate a large amount of money to charity, and then having the Trump Organization make the donation

As far as I know, he hasn't really been accused of lying about where the donations were going. Lots of blatant corruption, but the corruption was right there in the paperwork and pretty easy to dig out once people bothered to investigate.

This isn't to say that he wasn't lying about things, of course. But he largely wasn't lying about where the money was going, at least not on any important legal filings or disclosures. Rather, what he lied about was the nature of the Trump Foundation's Board of Directors. The board was supposed to exercise fiduciary oversight over the Foundation and prevent this sort of self-dealing stuff, among other things, but by 2000 it only really existed on paper and wasn't carrying out any of its legal duties.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Buying an expensive art piece using charity funds and then using it for you personal pleasure is stealing and is lying about where the funds were going.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Agreed,

But rich and the angry German nurse is gonna flush you out till you poo poo right, is still like a worse category. Then Dad is gonna make you literally fight for dominance.

Privilege will gently caress one up.

Abuse/privilege will gently caress one up worse.

The older Kochs got the abuse/privilege. There’s some wild stuff in Son’s of Wichita.

Eh, sign me up. I had a wildly abusive childhood and didn't get billions out of it. Actually had to fight my way out of a ton of debt my dad stacked up by using my SSN for years before I was even 18.

If I'm going to get abused, I'd rather take the option that also leaves me insanely wealthy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Prosecutor in Trump Georgia case settles divorce ahead of testimony

quote:

The lead prosecutor in the Georgia election interference case against former president Donald Trump and his allies settled a contentious divorce dispute on Tuesday, canceling a hearing scheduled for Wednesday morning that could have included testimony about allegations of an improper relationship between him and Fulton County District Attorney Fani T. Willis.

Nathan Wade had been expected to be questioned under oath Wednesday morning about his finances — including his income as a special prosecutor in the Trump case and his spending, including his purchase of airline tickets for himself and Willis in October 2022 and April 2023.

Attorneys for Joycelyn Mayfield Wade, Wade’s estranged wife, had also sought to question Willis in the case, arguing she has “unique knowledge” about Wade’s finances and his marriage. But Cobb County Superior Court Judge Henry Thompson, who oversaw the case, stayed that subpoena during a hearing last week, saying he first wanted to hear testimony from Wade.

Thompson issued a temporary consent order shortly before 5 p.m. Monday, explaining that the hearing has been removed from the calendar with the consent of both parties, because they have agreed “to all issues presently before the court.”

Their agreement will not be filed in court, Thompson noted — meaning it may not ever be public.

The last minute settlement agreement allows both Wade and Willis to avoid testimony in a divorce case that has underpinned many of the salacious allegations against the two prosecutors. Wednesday’s hearing would have been closely watched by attorneys for Trump and his co-defendants as they prepare for a separate Feb. 15 hearing in Fulton County on a motion to disqualify the prosecutors from the case.

Well that's that, then. Lol.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Oh, you can rest assured that that won't be that. Clearly Corrupt Joe Biden through Hunter's crime/Russia contacts pressured/paid off the ex-wife to settle just to avoid having to testify. The secrets are there but they just have to keep digging.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

If you see Trump hand a ten dollar bill to patient in a burn ward you have to check under the bandages to make sure that patient isn't just Eric Trump in a bad Halloween costume. And then go back and make sure it wasn't a counterfeit bill. Every word they say is a lie, including "the".

It's naive to think that Trump wouldn't give Eric 3rd degree burns if it benefited him.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

The Bible posted:

Eh, sign me up. I had a wildly abusive childhood and didn't get billions out of it. Actually had to fight my way out of a ton of debt my dad stacked up by using my SSN for years before I was even 18.

If I'm going to get abused, I'd rather take the option that also leaves me insanely wealthy.
How much or how little did your creditors care that you were very clearly and provably a minor at the time of the debts?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge McAfee still has a hearing scheduled to go over the matter. Will he be precluded from asking questions of wade that aren’t supported by the record?

I assume he can ask what he wants. I guess my question is more would that be proper? Roman made claims that can’t be supported and it should be on him to make a real claim. I don’t think it’s on McAfee to participate in a fishing expedition but obviously I’m just talking out my rear end.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Oh they're going to go completely apeshit over this lmao

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

(someone posted this in the Trump Legal Issues thread)

UH-OH, DERNALD!

Prosecutor in Trump Georgia case settles divorce ahead of testimony

quote:

The lead prosecutor in the Georgia election interference case against former president Donald Trump and his allies settled a contentious divorce dispute on Tuesday, canceling a hearing scheduled for Wednesday morning that could have included testimony about allegations of an improper relationship between him and Fulton County District Attorney Fani T. Willis.

Nathan Wade had been expected to be questioned under oath Wednesday morning about his finances — including his income as a special prosecutor in the Trump case and his spending, including his purchase of airline tickets for himself and Willis in October 2022 and April 2023.

Attorneys for Joycelyn Mayfield Wade, Wade’s estranged wife, had also sought to question Willis in the case, arguing she has “unique knowledge” about Wade’s finances and his marriage. But Cobb County Superior Court Judge Henry Thompson, who oversaw the case, stayed that subpoena during a hearing last week, saying he first wanted to hear testimony from Wade.

Thompson issued a temporary consent order shortly before 5 p.m. Monday, explaining that the hearing has been removed from the calendar with the consent of both parties, because they have agreed “to all issues presently before the court.”

Their agreement will not be filed in court, Thompson noted — meaning it may not ever be public.

The last minute settlement agreement allows both Wade and Willis to avoid testimony in a divorce case that has underpinned many of the salacious allegations against the two prosecutors. Wednesday’s hearing would have been closely watched by attorneys for Trump and his co-defendants as they prepare for a separate Feb. 15 hearing in Fulton County on a motion to disqualify the prosecutors from the case.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

E:wrong thread

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The Islamic Shock posted:

How much or how little did your creditors care that you were very clearly and provably a minor at the time of the debts?

About as much as they cared at the time they issued credit cards to a 12 year-old. Banks in the 80s and 90s were pretty cavalier about a lot of things, imagine that.

I did manage to dismiss the debts eventually, but it still did significant damage to my credit score. It wasn't my fault at all, but it was still a risk that someone had taken out debt in my name, so tough poo poo, kid.

But at least I won't have to inherit billions of dollars and enjoy the rest of my life doing whatever the gently caress I want.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 31, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do we think that the fishing expedition worked to get their client better terms for that settlement?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do we think that the fishing expedition worked to get their client better terms for that settlement?

I think so. Wade probably offered some more terms to the ex to get this closed. If he was all aboard, sucks for him but I appreciate trying to get this resolved for public interest in seeing Trump tried.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

MrMojok posted:

(someone posted this in the Trump Legal Issues thread)

Trump Legal Troubles: (someone posted this in the Trump Legal Issues thread)

H.R. Hufflepuff fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 31, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Biggerboat, could we get this calendar link that Tesseraction (and iirc one other goon) provided added to the OP?

https://www.justsecurity.org/88039/trumps-legal-and-political-calendar-all-the-dates-you-need-to-know/

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Trump Legal Troubles: (someone posted this in the Trump Legal Issues thread)

Why is there a whole trump legal issue thread about trump legal troubles

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Trump: my issues have troubles and my troubles have issues.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My legal troubles will have legal troubles with me!

Edit:

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no reason for them to steal money from the PAC, though.

Trump would steal it for the same reason a dog licks their balls: because they can.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 31, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

The Bible posted:

About as much as they cared at the time they issued credit cards to a 12 year-old. Banks in the 80s and 90s were pretty cavalier about a lot of things, imagine that.

I did manage to dismiss the debts eventually, but it still did significant damage to my credit score. It wasn't my fault at all, but it was still a risk that someone had taken out debt in my name, so tough poo poo, kid.

But at least I won't have to inherit billions of dollars and enjoy the rest of my life doing whatever the gently caress I want.
So you are a credit risk because the illegal thing that happened is now something nobody can do to you on account of not being a minor but get hosed anyway, that's amazing

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Madkal posted:

Trump: my issues have troubles and my troubles have issues.

when your legal troubles grow so big they have legal issues of their own, it takes so long to prosecute you that you can become president again. outstanding move

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Discendo Vox posted:

Biggerboat, could we get this calendar link that Tesseraction (and iirc one other goon) provided added to the OP?

https://www.justsecurity.org/88039/trumps-legal-and-political-calendar-all-the-dates-you-need-to-know/

According to this the judge will be filing his decision in the NY civil fraud trial today. Does that mean we get to see it too?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don’t think it’s a real deadline. More like a “hope to have a verdict by the end of the month” thing that got put on a calendar.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The Bible posted:

The Islamic Shock posted:

So you are a credit risk because the illegal thing that happened is now something nobody can do to you on account of not being a minor but get hosed anyway, that's amazing

To be fair to the banks, a good amount of parents get credit cards for their kids so their kids can buy things and the parents ultimately will fund the purchases. Depending on the time period, the parents might have applied for a lot of those cards in person and just filled out the kid's name. The controls for ID theft were not great back then. They also could theoretically have been listed as guarantors on the kid's line of credit with no intent of ever making anything right as a guarantor is supposed to do.

Fixing all of that, to the extent you could, would require having a ton of time to hammer things out with the various credit bureaus. You're not supposed to be able to open lines of credit before you're 18. However, you might even have to go through civil litigation or even filing a police report to get all the evidentiary steps taken care of. The more time passes, the harder it gets.

I feel bad for The Bible because that's a pretty hosed up situation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

According to this the judge will be filing his decision in the NY civil fraud trial today. Does that mean we get to see it too?

Unless it's under seal, which would be unusual enough to be interesting, yes it would be publicly readable. But as it's not going to be in open court he could drop it at like 23:55 EST.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eric Cantonese posted:

To be fair to the banks, a good amount of parents get credit cards for their kids so their kids can buy things and the parents ultimately will fund the purchases. Depending on the time period, the parents might have applied for a lot of those cards in person and just filled out the kid's name. The controls for ID theft were not great back then. They also could theoretically have been listed as guarantors on the kid's line of credit with no intent of ever making anything right as a guarantor is supposed to do.

Fixing all of that, to the extent you could, would require having a ton of time to hammer things out with the various credit bureaus. You're not supposed to be able to open lines of credit before you're 18. However, you might even have to go through civil litigation or even filing a police report to get all the evidentiary steps taken care of. The more time passes, the harder it gets.

I feel bad for The Bible because that's a pretty hosed up situation.

Yeah, the counterside to this is that I have absurdly good credit because my aunt put me as a secondary name on her credit cards back in the early 80's. So I somehow have her credit history now, so I show as religiously paying down my credit balance every month for decades.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah, the counterside to this is that I have absurdly good credit because my aunt put me as a secondary name on her credit cards back in the early 80's. So I somehow have her credit history now, so I show as religiously paying down my credit balance every month for decades.

Yeah, my parents did this for me too when I was young. And later got me to apply for a low credit ceiling card and had me use it for everything and immediately pay it off to generate a good credit history.

I mean, as long as you pay off all your purchases every month, it's nothing but upsides to the user anyway. You pay the same (unless some retailers charge more for the use of credit, like some gas stations do) but you can get the cashback, travel miles, whatever on top for "free".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Eric Cantonese posted:

To be fair to the banks,

To be really fair to the banks, start making Molotovs

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

According to this we'll find out about his overall PAC spending on legal fees after he files his FEC filings today https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-50-million-donor-money-legal-bills-2023-1234956948/

Citing the NYT:

quote:

According to the Times, 10 cents of every dollar donated to Trump’s campaign is being directed towards Save America, which in the last year has operated virtually exclusively as a legal slush fund for the former president.

This doesn't cover his MAGA PAC's payouts, though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Agents are GO! posted:

My legal troubles will have legal troubles with me!

Edit:

Trump would steal it for the same reason a dog licks their balls: because they can.

I'd never leave the house

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, my parents did this for me too when I was young. And later got me to apply for a low credit ceiling card and had me use it for everything and immediately pay it off to generate a good credit history.

I mean, as long as you pay off all your purchases every month, it's nothing but upsides to the user anyway. You pay the same (unless some retailers charge more for the use of credit, like some gas stations do) but you can get the cashback, travel miles, whatever on top for "free".

My dad did this to me too, without telling me.

It was great for awhile and then I found out I had a debt for a quarter of a million. Since my dad was retired and had bought his home outright, he decided to play chicken with his creditors and work on a reduced payoff to save some cash. It didn't matter to him if his credit was dumpstered due to it. Just so happened to be the card I was also on!

We got it cleared up but I thought my identity was stolen for a few days. Amusingly it's been 7 years ago as of November, so it dropped off his credit report and he has good credit again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PainterofCrap posted:

I'd never leave the house

Please. Let's not pretend. How much house leaving is really happening for any of us around here?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have to leave my pigsty to go to a place where people make more money than me five days a week.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Donkringel posted:

My dad did this to me too, without telling me.

It was great for awhile and then I found out I had a debt for a quarter of a million. Since my dad was retired and had bought his home outright, he decided to play chicken with his creditors and work on a reduced payoff to save some cash. It didn't matter to him if his credit was dumpstered due to it. Just so happened to be the card I was also on!

We got it cleared up but I thought my identity was stolen for a few days. Amusingly it's been 7 years ago as of November, so it dropped off his credit report and he has good credit again.

That's absolute poo poo that you ended up getting caught in the crossfire, but I like the cut of your dad's jib wrt negotiation style.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trump posted that he is interviewing for a new law team for the E Jean Carrol appeal.

"Any lawyer who takes a TRUMP CASE is either "CRAZY", or a TRUE AMERICAN PATRIOT."

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1752716289238548537

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

OgNar posted:

Trump posted that he is interviewing for a new law team for the E Jean Carrol appeal.

"Any lawyer who takes a TRUMP CASE is either "CRAZY", or a TRUE AMERICAN PATRIOT."

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1752716289238548537

He gave you two trial while denying you due process? :psyduck:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xiahou Dun posted:

He gave you two trial while denying you due process? :psyduck:

Obvious double jeopardy violation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I, for one, will be fascinated to learn what kind of lawyer leaps at this opportunity after watching the last few weeks of Trump trial news.