Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

marshmonkey posted:

Hearing everyone’s jury duty story is boring af tbh. Is it really on topic for the thread?

Probably not but here's mine anyway:

Tenkaris posted:

Yes, just to give a direct anecdote, I once got federal jury duty and got put on a jury. The case was a black lady who worked for a Veteran's Affairs ("The VA") pharmacy facility. VA is a government agency so that made it federal I guess. She was sexually harassed by her boss who then punished her for not accepting his advances. She went to the HR lady filed a complaint, the HR lady told the bosses and they fired her the next day.

They would have won the case too, if it wasn't for two things: First was a big Phoenix Wright style OBJECTION level contradiction. Two witnesses were asked whether they knew about the complaint before firing. The manager lady (not the harasser, though he did testify) said they didn't know and she was basically getting fired that day for performance and this was a wacky coincidence! The HR lady told a story closer to the truth, and said they knew of the complaint that morning but decided to fire her anyway, but of course for performance reasons, nothing related to her stepping out of line!

And the second thing? Me being on the jury. I poo poo you not, I had to really work these people like toddlers in preschool, explaining that they should have some empathy. I had to read them the juror instructions where it said if a witness lies you can discard everything they said, I really had to walk them along the entire way, it was pitiful. Even when I finally got them to agree, two of them were such stubborn (and imo racist) assholes that one said to give her zero dollars, and one said to give her one dollar.

I'm more math savvy than the average Texan, so I got everyone to quickly agree to take the average figure from what we all suggested. I put my number in last, and made sure to offset the assholes so she actually got like two years pay. I saw her when I left the building and she was crying happy tears, smoking a cigarette, and she recognized me and mouthed "Thank You." It was pretty nice.

Oh and fun story, that same Dallas federal building was where that idiot shooter showed up with a tactical sword and got nobody killed but his dumb rear end self, only a few years later.

Anyway, I'll take a baconator meal and a large chocolate frosty. :911:

And during selection they mostly just asked me questions about my job and I said I was a delivery driver and they didn't pry too much about any of my personal beliefs or anything, I was one of the first jurors called so I wound up picked

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is the Schwab account securing the bond holding a large amount of DJT stock?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

elhondo posted:

We don't know but seems likely. Also its valuation was quoted from the April 5 statement balance

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

here are some snippets from potential jurors in the trial this thread is about : https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...f08fcd1d566742d

big fan of the "fascinating and mysterious" guy

From what I saw on lawfare both sides only get 10 'I don't like that person' challenges, the rest have to be rooted in legal reasoning to dismiss them and 'being a democrat' or "I'm a republican" isn't sufficient reason if they say they can be impartial.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Cimber posted:

Eh, not that big of a deal, and in the grand scheme of things having his lawyers eject jurors serves to show he received adequate representation.

Oh, I agree, but juror #2 was struck for cause because of a facebook post about trump where they said "lock him up". I mean, if you're gonna try to John Kusack the trial, can't you at least try?

edit: reply is not quote

Zapp Brannigan fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 16, 2024

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Oh, I agree, but juror #2 was struck for cause because of a facebook post about trump where they said "lock him up". I mean, if you're gonna try to John Kusack the trial, can't you at least try?

edit: reply is not quote

lol that shouldn't matter, dude ran around screaming lock her up for a whole campaign, turnabout is fair play

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That's the juror Trump muttered something to, as well

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Meanwhile Trump Media is down to $23 a share.

Whoops.

The only real question now is how low do the shorts let it go before they start buying it back up? $10? $5? Hold out for $1?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Murgos posted:

Meanwhile Trump Media is down to $23 a share.

Whoops.

The only real question now is how low do the shorts let it go before they start buying it back up? $10? $5? Hold out for $1?

I was so mad that I had to front a bunch of my spouse's schooling the same week that stock released, due to issues with her loan. Easiest cash on the face of God's green earth buying the pump and shorting the dump.

In other news they have six jurors picked. The foreperson apparently gets his media diet from nyt, daily mail and sometimes fox and MSNBC.

You know, a totally reasonable and not at all sketch media diet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

loving golden:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Caros posted:

I was so mad that I had to front a bunch of my spouse's schooling the same week that stock released, due to issues with her loan. Easiest cash on the face of God's green earth buying the pump and shorting the dump.

In other news they have six jurors picked. The foreperson apparently gets his media diet from nyt, daily mail and sometimes fox and MSNBC.

You know, a totally reasonable and not at all sketch media diet.

cant wait until someone admits they get their news from forums.somethingawful.com

Zapp Brannigan posted:

How are these jurors stupid enough to not have their Facebook accounts locked down?

I thought its been pretty well established that the average american is profoundly stupid

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pillowpants posted:

Would being sued for defamation dq me from serving in a jury?

I sued a landlord in Small Claims to get my deposit back and that didn't get me out of serving on the jury where a landlord was being sued, so who knows.

Anyway, they're apparently roughly halfway there (depending on how many alternates they select):

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1780321328773406818

Odd that they pick a foreperson before empaneling the whole jury.

Edit: Aha, NY automatically makes the first juror foreperson.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 16, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CPColin posted:

I sued a landlord in Small Claims to get my deposit back and that didn't get me out of serving on the jury where a landlord was being sued, so who knows.

Anyway, they're apparently roughly halfway there (depending on how many alternates they select):

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1780321328773406818

Odd that they pick a foreperson before empaneling the whole jury.

Edit: Aha, NY automatically makes the first juror foreperson.

Five now: https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1780309129354977537

Honestly this must be making him so loving mad https://twitter.com/aklingus/status/1780320616597565849

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I, for one, hope that Trump is enjoying every single minute he has to spend in a courtroom listening to no-name rando juror's talk poo poo about him while not being allowed to respond. Should be doing big beautiful things to his blood pressure.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tenkaris posted:

Probably not but here's mine anyway:

And during selection they mostly just asked me questions about my job and I said I was a delivery driver and they didn't pry too much about any of my personal beliefs or anything, I was one of the first jurors called so I wound up picked

And thank you for your service, too.

Tbh I'm enjoying the jury stories in general but frustrated at people bragging about avoiding their civic duty. "Why do cops always get away with doing bad things?" I cry, as I avoid sitting on a jury where I could do my part to build a more just society. I get it. Jury duty sucks. Do it anyways. Waiting in line on election day? Also sucks. Do it anyways.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Even better, he can't even rant about it on truth social since that will be jury intimidation. He's gotta suck it up.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Ynglaur posted:

Tbh I'm enjoying the jury stories in general but frustrated at people bragging about avoiding their civic duty. "Why do cops always get away with doing bad things?" I cry, as I avoid sitting on a jury where I could do my part to build a more just society. I get it. Jury duty sucks. Do it anyways. Waiting in line on election day? Also sucks. Do it anyways.

Agree. I was bummed to get ejected during my only voir dire experience. It was a DUI case and I offered up that I was once pulled over and breathalyzed but under the legal BAC and was let go without incident. Booted immediately.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

withak posted:

I, for one, hope that Trump is enjoying every single minute he has to spend in a courtroom listening to no-name rando juror's talk poo poo about him while not being allowed to respond. Should be doing big beautiful things to his blood pressure.

Hopefully this is the judge trolling him for threatening everyone.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Looks like there is more information on the bond with Knight Insurance.

Basic gist is that the bond is collateralized by 175 million in cash in a trump account. There is a bit of legal argument on what it means to be able to post bond or not, but I imagine there is a lot I am not understanding on this.

I am curious, the 175 in cash would need to come from Trump himself, not his org because of the monitor in place, right?

for what it's worth, the cash account is (supposedly) property of Trump's trust, which is indeed separate from Trump Org assets. That said, there's a lot about this that seems real sloppy - the only evidence of that cash is a print screen of an account summary page on Schwab.com, purporting to show the total balance of some Schwab brokerage account (there's no markings that indicate the account's owner, or even the full account number for that brokerage account) as of some point on 4/10/24... and that's it, there's no formal account statement. Which is not necessarily sinister, I'm an accountant not a lawyer so maybe the courts are okay with this stuff, but it seems pretty lazy in terms of proving what they're claiming.

And for what it's worth, the size and nature of the account balance suggest that investments were sold and cash moved around in order to get to that exact balance in this account, because rich folks don't usually keep that amount of wealth in plain old cash instead of some kind of investment that makes at least a little more interest. Which, again, that's not necessarily sinister, there could be good explanations for that... but since the whole reason this court case happened was because the defendant lies about his finances, it seems like the standards for documentation and due diligence should be higher than usual, not less.

some folks also noted more drafting errors in these documents, including the fact that the collateral agreement references the wrong company on the signature page - the page where Don Jr actually signs the agreement (on behalf of the trust) references "Federal Insurance Company", not Knight Specialty Insurance Company. (FIC is the Chubb subsidiary that did the E Jean Carroll bond.) And once again, perhaps that's not necessarily sinister - maybe they just reused the same contract language as the Carroll bond and forgot to ctrl-F that page and then forgot to proofread everything! - but, boy that's a lot of sloppy and potentially significant errors on behalf of a guy whose only here because of fraud!

I've seen some people commenting that the collateral agreements are themselves written weirdly, and may allow for certain periods of time where money could be pulled out of that account. I'm not qualified to interpret all of that contract language, but it does seem weird to me that Knight wouldn't simply take possession of that amount of cash, rather than leave it in Trump's hands under some agreements that may or may not be reliable. I suspect there's probably a lot of weird inconsistencies and omissions in here that one could find with time - personally, I'm curious as to when all of these agreements were executed, particularly the "pledged asset account control agreement" that has a signature page from a Charles Schwab rep, but there's no date or identifying info to prove that it's an attachment to the previous pages, and it appears to be the only page in here that was electronically signed rather than manually signed, and then pieced back together with the other pages. Just a whole lot of stuff that seems very sloppy even if you give them the benefit of the doubt, and this is the last person who deserves the benefit of the doubt.

elhondo posted:

No, not according to the brokerage statement website screenshot I linked above, which lists it all as "cash and cash equivalents", and appears to have been taken on April 10th. From what I've read, DJT stock is not eligible to be pledged in this way, per the same lockup agreement that prevents him from selling.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

withak posted:

It’s like an unexpected gift. Suddenly Trump has to see what a vast portion of America thinks about him, how ridiculous he appears and how much he’s a hypocrite and how his dumb little sayings are pointed back at him.

It’s impossible to be the macho big guy when everyone just thinks you’re a fool.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I legitimately enjoyed my jury service, even though it was long. If you haven't done it, and you serving isn't going to get anyone killed, I highly recommend doing it at least once in your life. (I've been called five times but only served twice, though not for lack of trying.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Trump actually does have 175 million in cash why doesn't he post that himself instead of arranging a bond for the same amount

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

This is entirely fair. It's why I didn't rely on trickery to try and get out of it, I just said the blunt truth of my beliefs and hoped it'd save me. Ah well, it wasn't so bad... outside of the jury getting hung because half the jury to nail the guy for SOMETHING because he confessed to one of the crimes, to the point that they ignored the lawyer on the jury explaining the law and outright said they wanted to just get him 'for something'.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Trump actually does have 175 million in cash why doesn't he post that himself instead of arranging a bond for the same amount

You don't get rich spending your own money, but by spending other people's money.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

because as soon as the courts accept the 'bond' that cash is going to *foop* back into whatever murky swamp it came from and not be seen ever again. If he forked it over he'd actually risk losing it when the appeals court goes against him.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

good loving question! even if there were some procedural reason for that... why keep it all sitting there in cash? The collateral agreement lists other permissible investments in that account, it's silly to park that amount of money in cash instead of anything else that'll at least generate some interest income, because even a few points of interest on $175 mil adds up quick!

the timeline for all this stuff leads to a lot more questions - the bond was filed on April 1, amended April 4, the AG filed an objection to it on April 4.... and then they eventually submit a Schwab.com screenshot dated April 10th? Given that and Don Hankey's ambiguous and inconsistent descriptions of Trump's collateral... was that money actually there when they made the bond, or did they scrape it together into that account after the fact just for the purpose of taking a screenshot on the 10th?

also, looks like Engoron has a new order today that tells the AG to file a response this Friday, for a hearing next Tuesday, to decide if the court should accept the bond or not.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

There's a big gap between "has that much cash" and "will not be seriously inconvenienced by losing that much cash".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Because he's only out of pocket $17.5M to buy the bond.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

We have no idea what he's paid for the bond, whether 10% or otherwise. This company isn't licensed to do this, and their market cap is smaller than the total amount at issue.

Somebody is in deep poo poo, I feel. Again, not Trump.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

We have no idea what he's paid for the bond, whether 10% or otherwise. This company isn't licensed to do this, and their market cap is smaller than the total amount at issue.

Somebody is in deep poo poo, I feel. Again, not Trump.

gently caress that. He's playing games over and over again. I think the judge should say "Sorry buddy, you hosed around, time to find out. James? Start siezing."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I was called for jury duty only once in my life which I got out of because I was abroad. I imagine if I ever got called again I would just tell them that I can't be impartial and have strong biases and just get excused that way because I can't imagine wasting my time going through with it. Don't most countries not do a jury trial? I thought that was just a weird thing that English speakers do. To be honest I'd much rather have a panel of judges rule over a bunch of loving idiots who made the cut.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My only experience with jury duty was marred by the antics of one Pauly Shore.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Judges virtually always convict because judges become extremely cynical due to the nature of the job and are thus extremely unlikely to believe anything a defendant says. The purpose of jury trials is not because anyone thinks jurors are smart, it's because twelve random people,screened for bias, are far more neutral than the judge would be.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Murgos posted:

It’s like an unexpected gift. Suddenly Trump has to see what a vast portion of America thinks about him, how ridiculous he appears and how much he’s a hypocrite and how his dumb little sayings are pointed back at him.

It’s impossible to be the macho big guy when everyone just thinks you’re a fool.

was this the deep state's plan all along? no need to figure out the perfect judicial solution - just force him to sit there helplessly, listening to people's post about him, until his brain or heart explodes

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think it'd be a great idea to keep jury selection going for a couple more weeks if it means he just sits there all day as the judge reads social media posts dunking on him the whole time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ynglaur posted:

Sitting on the jury on a cop's case won't matter so long as qualified immunity still exists. No reason not to, but temper your expectations.

Trump, miss an opportunity to gently caress someone else's money over? Never.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

withak posted:

I don't think the guy with a persecution complex is having a particularly unhappy time watching people get tossed off the jury one after another for hating him.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think the guy with a persecution complex is having a particularly unhappy time watching people get tossed off the jury one after another for hating him.

So they can go home and not have to do jury duty? Must be hard for them.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

He has to listen to a ton of people say how stupid he is and how Biden kicks so much rear end over and over and he has to just sit there and take it. Plus some of the people he would like to have ejected got seated, so there is that.

He's not having a good time, he has to sit still and shut the gently caress up and has to do as he is told for probably the first time in his entire life. I am sure he is in hell and ready to claw his eyes out.

This is day 2, many more jurors to go, and this is trial 1 of..... 4? This is going to keep happening to him. He's gonna spend a sizable portion of the next several months being bored out of his loving mind while people call him a piece of worthless poo poo moron who fails at everything. And then he might go-to prison.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sir John Falstaff posted:

So they can go home and not have to do jury duty? Must be hard for them.

They are currently picking out the people who are going to be tasked with deciding whether Trump gets away with poo poo or not. I suspect Trump very much wants any anti-Trump views they hold to be found now!

Besides, he's well aware that people hate him. He's invented entire conspiracy theories in which the sole reason he doesn't get what he wants is that so many people hate him and are secretly working against him. I doubt he's shedding too many tears over having to listen as the court spends a couple of days thoroughly screening jurors for any potential bias against him. At worst, he's probably just bored from having to sit in the courtroom and not say anything for so long.