Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Edward Mass posted:

Considering the Big Four networks (yes, Fox included) are covering this, I expect this to make a bigger impact than what the average D&D poster expects, which is to say I think there will be an impact.

But is Fox NEWS covering this? I don't think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

XboxPants posted:

WaPo Live said no, Fox isn't, Fox News isn't, you have to get Fox Business to see it.

When every other major news source is covering it and Fox isn't, then I think that's a legitimate reason not to allow it to be treated as a legitimate news organization if it doesn't want to report actual news. This should be on Fox and Fox News, period.

/short rant over

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

nine-gear crow posted:

Jeez, if they're dropping footage of Bill Barr going "holy gently caress, Tump is a criminal, I'm outta here" in his own words then they're coming out swinging, huh?

I really hope so. Don't hold anything back.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Willa Rogers posted:

It's authoritarian to suggest that they need to air a governmental hearing in order to be considered a legit news source.

You can attack foxnews on other grounds, but don't say they have to follow marching orders & join the dozens of other outlets or they're not legit.

I'm not saying that they have to be forced to air a governmental hearing, but if they don't want to report actual news, why should they be treated as a legit news source?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Jesus this still gives me chills.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
How can anyone watch this and go "yeah, that was just Antifa playing as Trump supporters"?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
peaceful people my rear end

good work mixing those two

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BiggerBoat posted:

Dudes, I was off work that day and loving watched/heard all of it on unedited livestreams. For some reason, most of them came unarmed. This time. That's a little suprising given how much they love guns and how much dry powder they've been storing since Barrack Obama was elected.

If that IS his real name I mean.

I took off specifically to watch the votes being counted as a political nerd. This was so far beyond what I was expecting.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well, I can't say they didn't start strong.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Are they done already?

Until June 13 at 10 am.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

Wait, really? It’s not even on consecutive days?

Jesus dems can’t even grandstand properly.

From the Washington Post:

When are the hearings’ dates and times?

The first hearing will start Thursday, June 9, at 8 p.m. Eastern. The second will be held Monday, June 13th, at 10 a.m. Eastern. There is also a hearing Wednesday, June 15th at 10 a.m. Eastern, and there could be even more that week. The committee hasn’t announced a formal schedule for the rest, but there could be as many as eight in total through June, with a final hearing in September — right before the November midterm elections.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BiggerBoat posted:

Here's the video that was shown with previously unseen footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_O91gyj9o

So...should I just leave this thread here or start a new one for the next hearing?

Keep it here, easier to keep track of. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Flying-PCP posted:

Apparently simply posting updates about this on Truth Social is enough to get you banned.

Some truth.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BiggerBoat posted:

Today's hearing starts at 10am

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/13/politics/watch-january-6-hearing-online-tv-streaming/index.html

The hearing is expected to detail how then-President Donald Trump “engaged in a massive effort to spread false and fraudulent information” even though “Trump and his advisers knew that he had, in fact, lost the election,” according to panel Vice Chair Liz Cheney, a Wyoming Republican, who outlined on Thursday what the committee plans to unveil over its seven June hearings.

Monday’s hearing will include testimony from conservative Republican election attorney Ben Ginsberg and former Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien, according to a press release from the committee.

Additional testimony is expected from BJay Pak, the former US Attorney for the North District of Georgia, and Al Schmidt, a former Philadelphia city commissioner.

Chris Stirewalt, the former Fox political editor who was fired from the network in January 2021 after right-wing backlash to Fox’s call of Arizona for then-candidate Joe Biden during the 2020 presidential election, will also appear as a witness.

The hearing will be aired live on CNN and a livestream will be featured on CNN.com without requiring a login.

So apparently Fox News WILL have it on today.

quote:

The X-factor on cable is Fox -- since the network pointedly ignored last week's prime time hearing. Tucker Carlson falsely accused other networks of "colluding" with Democrats to air "propaganda." Sean Hannity said it was an irrelevant "sham." But this time around, Fox is going to show the hearing: As Los Angeles Times reporter Stephen Battaglio noted, "Fox News plans to cover the hearings on its main channel when they resume on Monday."

Fox's argument seems to be that prime time is different from daytime: Prime is for opinion hosts like Tucker Carlson, who rejected last Thursday's hearing, but daytime is for news.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Toaster Beef posted:

I could be a naďve idiot, but it feels a whole lot like over the past month or two we've been seeing cracks in the foundation of Trump's support within the party that just weren't there before. More and more chatter around DeSantis as the heir apparent, those straw poll results from out west, right-wing outlets being a bit more willing to come out against Trump ... it's little poo poo here and there, but for me it adds up to the feeling that the party's slowly coming around to jettisoning him. I wonder if what comes out of these hearings is considered the turning point — a convenient spot for the stakeholders to cut bait and start prepping the runway for DeSantis.

It'd be really loving funny to see the party backstab Trump the same way he's backstabbed, like, every member of his inner circle.

It'd also be really loving funny to see Trump decide to run third-party out of spite.

It was funny in 2016 to see him run, but it wouldn't be funny in 2024 at all.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Murgos posted:

Number of Youtube channels streaming the hearing but it's been pushed back to 10:30.

Bill Steppian (sp?) has declined to appear in person due to a 'family emergency' so they are restructuring or substituting in recorded testimony.

Apparently his wife is in labor.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SwimNurd posted:

Big Massive Dumps

the biggest most beautiful massive dumps

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Charliegrs posted:

I think it was really dumb to have only the first hearing at prime time and then the rest at 130pm EST. If they are trying to get the American people to pay attention to this then putting it on while 99% of people are at work was a bad idea. At best some folks will get the 5 minute sound bites of the hearings long after they have ended but that's just not going to have the same impact. They did such a good job with the opening hearing not only in airing it prime time but also with how they decided to present it. It was a much more digestable hearing for normal folks. They should have just kept doing it that way.

I get it, but I also get people who would get angry if this kept interrupting their prime time programming and would tune it out (I know, but it's true). I have a feeling that the nights for the big reveals are going to be on prime time for maximum impact, but they're building the case now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

HOW DARE YOU. Won’t someone think of the decorum??????

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I wonder if he stutters when nervous and he’s trying to overcome that also.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dr. Faustus posted:

"It was not inartfully written, it was pristine clear that the Vice President of the United States had little constitutional authority if any at all."

I think Judge Luttig is currently constituted, primarily, of gravitas.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mdemone posted:

I'm not an actual lawyer but yes. Any reasonable person would have concluded "this is illegal".

Aha! But what if I myself am unreasonable? Then it’s fine, right???

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Equal time? Hell, this whole thing is about him. Joe Biden should be demanding equal time.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So the next one is tomorrow, right?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Who knew Liz Cheney may be the one who ultimately saves the union?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Lol I wonder why Gaetz would proactively want a blanket, total pardon

Bust his rear end.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol can't wait to see what they loving did, jesus gently caress.

To be continued in July.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The tea will be spilled.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Let's goooooooooo

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Add assault to the charges.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
He’s a loving ketchup throwing toddler.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

William Bear posted:

Good point, it's the White House, I'm sure whatever happened was captured on security camera.

Unfortunately, it was all captured on bodycams and all the footage was mysteriously lost, somehow.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Charliegrs posted:

Im sure the 5 chuds that are actually listening to this were jumping for joy when they heard Trump tried to choke out his secret service detail. But also, it's all a witch-hunt lie.

Amazing how Antifa went so far deep undercover.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Do you believe in the peaceful transition of power?

"I take the fifth"

Jesus.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I walked out of the room and came back in to hear serious testimony about catchup dripping down the wall

Debate & Discussion › January 6 Hearings; Seems There Was a Ketch Up - TVIV

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Wallburger revelations just made me remember that Trump not only acquired 300 cold hamburgers to feed some football players, he then tweeted about it, calling them "hamberders" AND said that there were over 1000 of those hamberders.

The most American President.

All future scandals should be -burger instead of -gate

I can see Trump trying an Impossible Burger and flinging it at the wall in disgust.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mdemone posted:

I was rushing through the last few minutes before heading out -- do we have any idea who the witness was that was being tampered with? Could it have been Hutchinson herself and they didn't identify it as such to protect her and maybe the investigation somehow?

They like to leave cliffhangers so you'll watch the next one.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Keyser_Soze posted:

NBC just had Peter Alexander sit next to Lester Holt and basically repeat his tweet so that will be the story from now. :argh:

This? This is what they're trying to refute? Not the other damning stuff? This?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Relevant to the title:

https://twitter.com/JustinCChang/status/1541901265197641728

:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've been trying to remember a Trump-lawyer thing that happened way back at the beginning of his presidency and it's killing me that I can't find it/it's a bit hard to google, because unless I'm losing my mind it was an actual thing and not vague rumor bullshit.

He had a meeting with a lawyer, and the lawyer is taking out a pad of paper to write things down as they're going over it. Trump asks him what he's doing, and he replies that he's taking notes. Trump starts talking about how he's never in his life seen a lawyer take notes during one of his meetings and it's very strange and the guy responds :

"I'm a real lawyer," as opposed to janky rear end mob lawyers.

I swear this is from the lawyer's memoir or something, but I can't remember the dude's name and various searches of "trump" and "lawyer" and "crime" and other terms are returning roughly the entire internet at this point. I'd really like to remember who this lawyer is because I'm curious if he's at all related to these shenanigans, if nothing else than as a chain of succession three steps removed.

Help? Does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

This?

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/mcgahn-was-right-real-lawyers-take-notes

The Mueller report is full of lawyers doing lawyerly things (and some very unlawyerly things). But no anecdote stands out as a more basic illustration of the role of an attorney as Don McGahn’s exchange with President Donald Trump over—note-taking.

During his conversations with Trump, White House lawyer Don McGahn, reportedly took notes. At one point, Trump asked him, “What about these notes? Why do you take notes? Lawyers don’t take notes. I never had a lawyer who took notes.”

McGahn, who is now back at his old law firm Jones Day as a partner, responded that he took notes because he is a “real lawyer.” The president pushed back, saying that “I’ve had a lot of great lawyers, like Roy Cohn. He did not take notes.”