Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The full 12-page statement is surprisingly boring. Only a few paragraphs bring that classic Trump energy, the rest is obviously written by a staffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I think it was really dumb to have only the first hearing at prime time and then the rest at 130pm EST. If they are trying to get the American people to pay attention to this then putting it on while 99% of people are at work was a bad idea. At best some folks will get the 5 minute sound bites of the hearings long after they have ended but that's just not going to have the same impact. They did such a good job with the opening hearing not only in airing it prime time but also with how they decided to present it. It was a much more digestable hearing for normal folks. They should have just kept doing it that way.

The hearing is almost certainly planned with the intention of having the sound bites dripped out through the media. Only the most deeply politically-addicted people are going to directly watch more than an hour or two worth of Congressional hearings.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I can't believe this is loving real

https://twitter.com/judgeluttig/status/1538266501530234881
https://twitter.com/judgeluttig/status/1538266513433673729
https://twitter.com/judgeluttig/status/1538266523520880640

I thought for sure it was a parody, but if that Twitter account is fake, then someone's been pretending to be Luttig for a very long time

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You got trump's # off, he had ~85% of conservatives in 2020

by contrast clinton picked up 7% of conservatives in 2016

I think it was 93% of Republicans, not 93% of conservatives. This conversation keeps switching between "Republicans" and "conservatives" and it makes it tough to follow.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

If it’s to preserve democracy then yeah, the party should be dissolved.

There's not really any point in that in a two-party country. If you dissolve the GOP, all the GOP supporters will just flock to another party and turn that one into the next GOP. If you ban all right-wing parties and make the US a one-party state, well, better hope you've cultivated extremely close ties with the military, because you'll have a hard time maintaining a one-party dictatorship against the will of 40+% of the voters without plenty of troops to do the legwork for you!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

...John Brown was convicted of treason and executed, as were the Rosenbergs (extremely unfairly).

Like I don't think Trump is ever getting executed for treason, but to say no one has ever been convicted and executed of treason is flat out wrong.

That's all you need for a treason charge. Trump didn't train Proud Boys and Oathkeepers but he certainly wanted them to come to the Capitol with lots of weapons and direct them to Congress himself, which hey whoopsie doopsie they might hang Mike Pence for him, which he tacitly supports.

...Pretty sure that's "Levying War against the United States", and you could argue "Enemies" of the state are Insurrectionists who who want to kill the lawfully elected government if you were a good lawyer. The pardons for active Insurrectionists Roger Stone, Steve Bannon, and Michael Flynn reek of "aid and comfort".

So yeah, there's defintely a case to be made, but I think they will go with sedition as the lighter charge.

John Brown was convicted of treason against Virginia, under Virginia state law. John Brown never faced any federal charges, only state charges. Virginia state law's definition of treason is different from the federal definition.

And if you have to precede your statement with "you could argue", then you do not actually have a solid basis for prosecuting someone for Treason, the number one big-deal crime in federal law with its own special treatment in the Constitution. The Treason Clause is specifically written to make it very difficult to use, and later Supreme Court jurisprudence has narrowed it even further.

There's just no way that any reasonable prosecutor would take on the extra-hard-mode challenge of using the Treason Clause against an big fish like Trump who actually poses an ongoing danger. Especially when there's plenty of similar laws that don't carry the same Constitutional baggage.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

When Donald Trump is handed down a sentence of death, all the agents and assets that have taken a similar oath will be compelled to refrain from voicing public support for him.

Why do you think that? I don't really see how that would be the case. He'll become a martyr, and his supporters will endlessly decry the injustices imposed on him by biased Democrats and the evil deep state. It'd make him a hero and forever immortalize him in fascist thought.

quote:

He may appeal. It may go to the Supreme Court (would it tho? I don't know). Hey may be granted a stay or commutation or whatever (I'm against). But like, the chud qanon Maga movement has to be kicked in the balls, and creating legal precedence for regarding trumps actions as treasonous is all you can do to discourage the next flynn, or whatever.

If Donald Trump is not convicted for the treason clearly outlined by the house select committee, it will continue to be debatable whether insurrection is free speech. When he is sentenced to death, however, the Shockwave will significantly weaken the fascist machine surrounding trump.

It would most definitely go to the Supreme Court. Treason Clause cases often do, thanks to the extremely specific requirements placed on that charge by the actual text of the US Constitution. I don't think you're really getting just how much harder it is to convict for treason compared to any other crime, let alone how much harder it is to get the death penalty for it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

I get that it's harder, in principle.

What I'm pointing out is that Trump made it easy, by his demonstrable actions.

And what I'm pointing out is that it's never easy, and that you're vastly underestimating just how specific and constrained the requirements of the Treason Clause are.

For example, there is actual Supreme Court precedent (Ex Parte Bollman and US v Aaron Burr) saying that actively recruiting an army to overthrow the US government is not sufficient to sustain a treason conviction: it wasn't overt enough an act, and didn't constitute an actual "levying of war". When I say that no prosecutor will risk using the Treason Act against an actual current threat, poo poo like that is why.

As far as I can tell, no one has ever been executed under the Treason Clause of the US Constitution. Though several US citizens who defected to the Germans or Japanese during WWII were convicted of Constitutional treason after WWII, none were executed. And while several people were executed for treasonous behavior during and immediately after the Civil War, they were convicted and executed by military tribunals under military law. Other famed treason executions, like John Brown, were done under state treason laws rather than federal. And of course there's people like the Rosenbergs who, despite being executed, were never charged with treason at all - other laws not subject to the same Constitutional restrictions were more than sufficient to put them to death.

Uglycat posted:

Certainly the standard should be very high; but if there is no standard that can be met, why make it a crime at all? In any case, while you might advocate for treason not being a crime punishable by death - it is on the books.

And I can't imagine a standard for "treason" chargrd that the house select committee has not yet already demonstrated.

If they joined a foreign military that was actively at war with the US, and then helped that military force in their war against the US, they could be charged with treason no problem.

If they raised an actual military force and sent it to engage in an actual shooting war against the US military, as Jefferson Davis did then they could probably be reliably charged with treason.

That's about it. Trump's actions may qualify, but it's not guaranteed that it would - there's some ambiguity, and when it comes to Treason Clause jurisprudence, ambiguity generally means "assume it doesn't qualify". Besides, charging a current politician with a tightly-defined Constitutional crime is basically inviting the Supreme Court to get involved, and no sane prosecutor should want that given that Trump personally appointed one-third of the Court's current members.

As for why treason requirements are so hard to meet, it's a consequence of the English common law tradition, where creative prosecutors and compliant judges had been quite successful in expanding the definition of "treason" to something quite broad. At the time the Constitution was written, actions that could get an Englishman executed for high treason included counterfeiting money, killing a judge, or having sex with the king's wife. And that doesn't even include things like petty treason, which was essentially an enhanced murder charge for those who killed people immediately above them in the social structures of the day (for example, a wife killing a husband, or a servant killing a master). Moreover, to allow for new and novel types of treason that didn't exist when the Treason Act was put to paper in 1351 (!), if a judge thought something should be treason even though it wasn't, they had the ability to put the trial on pause and refer the matter to the King and Parliament to have them decide whether to pass a new treason law for it.

That generally expansive view of treason was not popular among the general populace, and the American colonists inherited that distaste for English treason law. As such, the writers of the Constitution wanted to make absolutely sure the expansion of treason's definition didn't happen here, by firmly establishing tight and well-defined limits without even a hint of flexibility. There was an active effort to prevent prosecutors and political factions from having even the slightest flexibility that might allow them to create what Madison derisively called "new-fangled and artificial treasons". As such, the Treason Clause is pretty much entirely restrained to the worst and most blatant cases possible. And when I say "worst and most blatant", think Jefferson Davis and Robert E Lee, not Donald Trump.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

That seems rather circular to me. "If he's held accountable for crimes committed (I don't claim here what those might be), his supporters will claim with hunts and conspiracy and immortalize him as neoHitler". On the other hand, "If he's not held accountable for crimes committed, his supporters will claim See this was all a witch hunt and conspiracy! then immortalize him as neoHitler".

The actual real Constitution and founding of the country are predicated on a collection of higher principles, enlightenment if you will, and the violation of those principles is the much greater crime that it is our duty to see those principles restored and upheld. The facist pockets have already been granted their rights to peaceably assemble and speak their minds, but those very same rights do not offer them liberty to attack the rights of other citizens nor the sovereignty of the state (that granted them the loving rights in the first place).

This isn't about one group whining or deciding to off a few sinner Americans or stuck up capitalists. It's about facts, the truth, and the law. If the United States of America cannot uphold the law, the country will be lawless. Those loud supporters that would decry a guilty verdict? If the government just does a "shrug, let's move on", those supporters will be the first at state capitols, legislatures, and courts, dragging Democrats, rinos, and anyone perceived to not be a "true believer" onto the streets and into the peoples' gallows.

Nah, I'm saying that execution specifically will martyr him and empower his followers. The movement doesn't need him anymore, there's plenty of people who'll happily take his place as leader of the new fascist movement if the opportunity arises. It's honestly inconvenient for them to have him still farting around, throwing endorsements wherever he likes and screaming into the void on Truth Social. Putting him in prison where he can't go out and personally rally the crowds, but is still able to muddle conservative politics through middlemen, is far better than letting DeSantis frame himself as the inheritor of Trump's will and the avenger who will wreak vengeance on liberals for the unjust judicial murder of Donald J Trump.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

"He's already being platformed by sympathetic media so really it's NBD if we platform him in a congressional hearing" is certainly a big brain take

Eh, I can certainly see why "I'll incriminate myself, but only on live TV" is an offer that gives mixed feelings. But there's no reason to demand that if you're planning to be useful and not disruptive.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

President Kucinich posted:

How did democrats kill the criminal investigations into Bush's war crimes and systemic mortgage fraud and is there anything preventing democrats from using those mechanisms again?

I don't recall there ever being any criminal investigations into Bush or his associates for war crimes in the first place.

And if Congressional Democrats had any intention to protect Donald Trump from prosecution, they wouldn't be holding this whole big investigation in the first place.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Having tried to read poo poo on the hunter tapes. Wtf are they even talking about. Like most of it is sex tapes or him high as gently caress and blowing dad’s money used to help him get rehab or trying to get cushy board jobs because of daddy’s name and then being a dick when he gets someone pregnant and texts of his dad saying he still loves him. Like tragic/funny failson dipshit poo poo. Meanwhile my uncle thinks it’s a loving goldmine and proves hunter is some mastermind.

You've probably read more about the Hunter tapes than your uncle has. Your uncle doesn't really give a poo poo - he wants to hear bad things about Biden, so when Fox or r/maga or whatever tells him that Biden did bad things, he's happy to hear it and doesn't bother to look at the details. And "politician did corrupt favors for their relatives" is one of those stereotypical politician things that people are generally primed to assume is true in the first place.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LegendaryFrog posted:

The USSS explanation is already in the article linked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/19/secret-service-texts/

Now they could be lying about whether this purge was pre-planned (and I’d guess they almost certainly are), but there is almost certainly a paper trail of some kind about this directive.

The agents/fall-guys who “didn’t upload their texts manually as instructed” will be the ones subject to facing consequences.

I doubt it'll be as simple as that. It's pretty well-known that asking people to voluntarily upload their stuff to something is a piss-poor way to implement a mandatory requirement.

If you're required by law to retain records, then either you set up a system to do it automatically without human intervention, or you send the managers to go breathing down everyone's necks and looking over people's shoulders as they personally verify the uploads.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Doesn't really matter that the one solution is going to cause issues. It's still the only solution. The rot is deep.

Historically, the big problem with dealing with elite military groups dedicated to the government's defense, like the Praetorian Guard or the Janissaries, wasn't that they were disloyal and meddled with politics. It's that they were wary of any moves that might diminish their power and influence in any way, and would happily coup any emperor that showed even the slightest intention of reining them in. Proposing sweeping measures like disbanding the group or creating a more trustworthy alternative force were a quick route to getting assassinated.

So if we really think the Secret Service is so far gone as to be compared to the Praetorians, then carelessly engaging in hasty action isn't good. And if the Secret Service isn't that far gone and this is just a small group, then firing absolutely everyone will radicalize them and increase the disloyal faction's power.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

toterunner posted:

So the source considers the raid a spectacular backfire and Garland is trying to distance himself from it.

That doesn't seem to be what the source is saying at all. Rather, they're saying that the FBI went out of their way to minimize the media profile of the raid, in hopes that it would be more likely to be seen as non-political, but this backfired by making it easier for the GOP to set the narrative.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Trump objects to everything so it seems the most likely outcome, but forgive my stupidity:

Owners of property under a seat warrant have a legal right to prevent the warrant from becoming public? I thought that was determined by the laws of the location, so in this case the judicial district would follow SOP on making something public. Is it just because "exPrez", or the judge can decide when a warrant will be held before going public?

Also, under what circumstances would the property owner want it to be public? It seems that less information would be desired in all cases, or will the big man want it open so they can claim prejudice etc.?

vvv Thank you. So at the least, the judge is providing interested parties an opportunity to object. Certainly it's not reversible once made public.

Well, in this case, the far right has been claiming that this was a frame-up by the FBI making up reasons to politically persecute Trump. They've been pointing to the secrecy shrouding the raid as evidence that it's not all on the up-and-up, and some of them have insisted that the DoJ must make the warrant public if they don't have anything to hide.

Of course, Trump has a copy of the warrant and could have made it public at any time. But he's refused, saying that it's up to the DoJ to decide to be transparent. Which isn't surprising, because the ambiguity is good for Trump, who most likely doesn't really want the media getting their hands on a detailed report laying out exactly why the FBI thought they had to raid him.

So the DoJ is calling his bluff here. Either Trump lets the documents go public and they make very clear the FBI has a case against him, or he opposes it and can no longer accuse the DoJ of being the ones hiding info and covering things up. At least in theory.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Madkal posted:

Do higher up Repubs hate true believers as much as everyone else?

Some probably do, some probably don't. But at this point, the true believers have been around for so long that they have had a fair bit of say over who gets to be the higher-ups.

Aside from Trump himself, a pretty good example is how Boehner spent much of 2015 feuding with the Freedom Caucus and was eventually driven out of the Speaker of the House position by them. And McCarthy, who was thought to be the favorite to replace him, ended up having to drop his candidacy because the Freedom Caucus refused to support him. In the end, the Freedom Caucus played kingmaker and gave the Speakership to Paul Ryan, who was more palatable to them.

Things like that obviously cheese off many of the people who had a good shot at the top leadership. But at the same time, they attract plenty of sycophants who think they can pay Trump some lip service and ride his wave right to the top. And there's no doubt that there's some people who fall into both camps - resenting the way their careers have been derailed by the rise of the insurgent right, but ambitious enough to hitch themselves to that wagon in hopes that they'll be able to control it and benefit from it.

By many accounts, both McCarthy and Trump have slammed each other in private - but they still acted friendly even after Jan 6, as long as they thought there was any potential advantage in using each other.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

bloodlust aside, this is literally what hanging charts are for

slightly premodern / early modern societies decided to scientifically figure out how to not strangle hanged people to death (inhumane) or pop their heads off from the drop (very humane, not necessarily ideal for the audience or the janitors)

This does not, however, mean that these principles were necessarily followed.

For example, the top US military executioner in Europe during WWII was notorious for botched hangings, because he didn't really know how to hang people properly. He lied when he claimed to have prior experience with executions, presumably in hopes of getting out of combat duty, and the Army didn't really care even after he developed a reputation for messy executions. It especially stood out compared to the British executioners, who were career hangmen and extremely professional about it.

If there's a silver lining in this story, it's that he was still hangman when the Nuremberg Trials happened, and the American executioners were the ones chosen to carry out the death sentences.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there really anything to suggest he was trying to sell this stuff? I wouldn't be surprised at all, of course, but seems most likely that he just took it all home because he's an idiot and thought he could just keep government documents.

There's not really any reason to keep this stuff just for the sake of hoarding it. And Trump's certainly not the type to go down there and read through the documents for fun. If he kept these documents, then it was most likely for the purpose of being able to show other people in some way.

Whether it's bragging about his stash of important secrets to make himself seem important, letting guests tour the room to impress them, selling them to foreign countries, or holding onto a stash just in case he needs to use it to bribe a foreign leader, or something else entirely. We don't know which, but he certainly wasn't keeping those documents just because he loved documents so much.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

e: about the passports, there's this one little inconsistency that I keep coming back to.

Trump claimed 3 passports, one expired. The doc the feds sent indicating their return states that there's 3 passports, two expired. Nobody has commented upon this (seemingly insignificant) discrepency.

Why is it there though?

e2: the '2 passports (1 expired)' was the first we heard that he had more than one passport, and that caused a quick explanation for why it might make sense for trump to have exactly those passports. Then we see the doc from the feds (trump leaks that too, yeah?), and there's an inventory discrepency.

If there is an inconsistency between what Donald Trump says and what the DoJ says, the simplest example is that Donald Trump is a habitual liar who is currently spinning stories for the express purpose of falsely portraying the DoJ as being involved in unjust persecution against him.

It's unlikely that there was any real significance to the passports at all.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

Hypothetically, at this point in the investigation, if Donald Trump announces publicly that he remains president and that Biden is a usurper with no legal authority...

How would such statements play in court, and would such statements put him at greater legal risk?

Depends on what he's in court for, what he's being charged with, and so on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

Y'know, the extra-legal campaign of stochastic terrorism. If he pursues that course (and everything indicates it, and the passport discrepancy confirms) - it's to be treason, yeah? Whereas if he backs off and pleads the 5th from here, it's 'just' espionage.

Promoting the myth that he retains the power of the office - could be an 'overt act' at this point.

No. As we've discussed with you before, the Constitutional definition of "treason" has purposely been drawn to be unreasonably tight and restrictive, and courts have consistently followed the clearly expressed will of the writers by interpreting the Treason Clause extremely strictly.

If you're asking if something could be treason, the answer is almost definitely no. When it comes to treason, there is no "could", there is no "maybe", there is no "well if you look at it this way". It was deliberately designed to make it as difficult as possible to stretch or expand it, which is most of the reason it was written into the Constitution to begin with.

I know you desperately want to see Trump convicted of treason and executed, but give up on that dream.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

What does it matter? He's not in jail and likely won't ever be.

Mock his lawyers all you want. If he was a poor minority woman he'd be shot dead by now. He's a free man.

We're talking about an ex-president stealing classified documents from the government and keeping a cache of nuclear secrets in his basement. It's a fairly unique situation, and really not comparable to whatever you're trying to compare it to here.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SubG posted:

Zuckerberg was apparently just on Joe Rogan's podcast lamenting that Facebook implemented too many rules about disinformation, specifically in re the laptop.

He also talked about how VR will unlock "economic opportunity" by allowing people to virtually commute to "cities that didn't have their values".

Between that and the stuff about claiming it's the FBI's fault that he had to CENSOR Hunter Biden's laptop story, it seems like Zuck too is making a play for the far right.

https://twitter.com/aleksiaaltonen/status/1562995792775852038

quote:

For someone who invented social media, Facebook’s founder Mark Zuckerberg did not appear a big fan of the monster he helped create during an excruciating interview with Joe Rogan.

Unlike fellow tech titan Elon Musk, Mr Zuckerberg did not allow himself to get too loose, smoke marijuana, or carry out any other antics that could have caused Meta’s share price to slump dramatically.

Instead, the buttoned-up billionaire tried to play it cool with the controversial UFC commentator and eagerly discussed his love of martial arts, specifically jujutsu.

For the Silicon Valley entrepreneur told the muscle-bound podcaster that he too is motivated by physical activity.

“I hate sitting in front of my desk, I feel that if I’m not active I’m just wasting away,” he said.

“My energy level and mood and how I interact with the world is based on ... its so physical. I don’t believe we are just brains in a body, our physical being and actions we take there are as much of kind the experience of being human.”

And while most of us were stuck at home during the pandemic, Mr Zuckerberg spent much of it at his family ranch in Kauai, Hawaii, where he owns a controversial 1,500-acre estate and has clashed with locals.

“I spent a lot of time down in Kauai early on. I got really into surfing and hydrofoiling and I would get up early and go and do that and then be really refreshed for my day of meetings,” he said. “That is not something I could do in Palo Alto.”

Mr Zuckerberg appeared on Rogan’s show largely to promote the Metaverse, and in doing so insisted that the AR and VR technology he is developing can help people leave big cities that don’t “have your values”.

“Imagine if you didn’t have to move to some city that didn’t have your values in order to be able to get all the economic opportunities, that would be awesome,” Mr Zuckerberg told Rogan.

“So in the future where you can use AR, VR, and teleport in the morning to the office and show up as a hologram, I think that’s going to be pretty sweet, right? It will unlock a lot of economic opportunity, for a lot of people.”

But mostly Mr Zuckerberg came across as a man who would prefer to be left alone to develop new technologies and not be dragged into the problems caused by social media networks, telling Rogan he did not have time to use them.

“Me personally I am just doing so many things that in practice that there are not (enough) hours in the day,” he said.

“My kids, I have not really had to think about it quite as much as they are pretty young, six and five, so they use it. I want them to use technology for different things, I teach them how to code, it is an outlet of creativity.”

And he told Rogan that social media was good if you used it for “engaging with someone” and “building relationships” but not if “you are just sitting there and consuming stuff.”

He also had some shade for Twitter, saying “I find that it’s hard to spend a lot of time on Twitter without getting too upset.

“On the flip side, I think Instagram is a super positive space. I think some of the critiques we get there is that it’s very curated and potentially, in some ways, overly positive... It’s easy to spend time there, and kind of absorb a lot of the positivity.”

He also admitted that he dreads checking his phone in the morning, because of all the headaches the company gives him.

“My sort of day is, you wake up in the morning look at my phone, get a million messages that have come in, its usually not good,” he told Rogan.

“People reserve the good stuff to tell me in person, right? So it’s like what’s going on in the world that I need to pay attention to? So it’s almost like every day you wake up you are punched in the stomach.”

Zuckerberg also admitted that like anyone else, working from home has its own difficulties, including interruptions from his family.

“I have this thing where I will be in zone-flow concentration and my wife will ask me some basic question and I lose my flow, and from her perspective, it is not a big deal, but that is not how it works”.

He ended up the interview by awkwardly acknowledging that parts of the internet think he may be a robot, following his appearance before Congress in 2018.

Rogan told him that he did not drink water like a normal human being and invited him to prove that he could.

“The Senate testimony is not exactly an environment that is set up to accentuate the humanity of the subject,” Zuckerberg told him.

“If you’re up there for six or seven hours you’re going to make some face that is worth making a meme out of.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Just worth pointing out I think that Laura Loomer is claiming voter fraud in her won loving primary. Is every Republican that loses any election going to automatically claim this bullshit moving forward? No matter who they're running against?

Not every Republican. But a lot of them, especially the fringe folks who came up through the Trump movement or right-wing media grift rather than the typical GOP pipelines, are absolutely gonna point that playbook even against their fellow Republicans.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

The story may be from 2021 but it's relevant today because recent revelations explain why that was (is) happening.

Trump breaking the law got a bunch of US intelligence assets killed. This breach may end up far worse than Ames.

There's no actual indication that this is due to Trump. At the very least, no one important or in a position to actually know has officially drawn that connection or made that accusation yet, at least as far as I can tell.

The article proposes plenty of entirely plausible reasons for this to be happening. (short version: the CIA is being careless and incompetent with the lives of foreign informants, too arrogant to take enemy counterintelligence seriously and too focused on covert ops bullshit to take the basic spy work seriously)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It doesn't make much sense for the judge to appoint a special master here, but she's not appointing a special master yet: she's informing them of her preliminary intent to do so, and asking the parties to file with their thoughts. Which pretty much means "eh, I'm kinda leaning this way, tell me why I'm wrong".

If she's still leaning this way in a few days, that'll be a different story, but right now she's practically inviting the DoJ to talk her out of it. So it's not a Big Deal just yet.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It seems like a pretty basic and straightforward effort to portray the DoJ as untrustworthy, and insist on the court appointing outside parties to do everything. Unlikely to work, but sometimes defense lawyers take long shots just in case they get lucky or can build on the argument later. Especially when it makes the client happy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Class3KillStorm posted:

Doesn't at least one of the Federal laws that Trump is being accused of breaking include a penalty of "may be prevented from holding public office" (or something to that effect)? I remember there being someone online discussion videos around that being a potential consequence a few weeks ago. If that's the case, and if this goes to trial and if he gets found guilty (both of those being big "ifs" right now, I'll grant), couldn't the judge slap him with a writ or whatever that says "The plaintiff may never again hold any public office in the United States" as part of the sentencing or whatever?

The presidency is not included in that prohibition, because Congress does not have the authority to pass an ordinary law restricting people from being president.

The list of things that make someone ineligible to be president is written directly into the Constitution, so modifying that list requires a Constitutional amendment too.

slurm posted:

DOJ won't touch him once he declares an intent to run, right? That's the end of investigations etc.

No? There's not really any reason to think that at this point. If the DOJ was going to consider a presidential candidate untouchable, they wouldn't have bothered with this in the first place, because Trump was obviously going to run again in 2024.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Have any actual lawyers weighed in on whether it was really an admission of guilt that Trump said the documents were in boxes?

The only thing that's unquestionably an admission of guilt is a guilty plea. Anything else can be explained away by a sufficiently savvy defense lawyer with a client who's sufficiently charismatic and sufficiently cooperative.

It's extremely unlikely that Trump is going to totally destroy his case in a single tweet. If tweets end up mattering at all, it'll be through the lawyers sorting through hundreds of tweets over a series of weeks or months to create evidence of trends and inconsistencies.

But in the end, I don't think anything he posts on Truth Social is going to hurt him as much as the clear video evidence that he tried to deceive the government. The government already knows that Trump still had the documents, and they wouldn't be moving forward unless they had sufficient leads on evidence that Trump personally knew about still having the documents.

Trump saying it is funny because it contradicts his own attempts to claim it's a witchhunt on social media, but that's just embarrassing, it doesn't have a real impact on the court cases.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Like kajillions of goons, I know nothing about this but will nonetheless share my uninformed views.

Surely "classified documents in my desk drawer next to my passports" is going to be pretty hard to argue away?

He could argue that he had no idea they were in there, and that someone else did it without his knowledge.

It's certainly unlikely that lone staffers and secretaries were all snatching documents on their own without his knowledge and hiding them in his desk without him having any idea they were there, but it's not impossible for a good defense lawyer and a sympathetic client to convince a jury that it's possible, and that makes "beyond reasonable doubt" a tough standard to meet unless they've got something more solid that personally implicates him in the decision.

Of course, "I had these highly classified documents so poorly secured that random workers were snatching them and hiding them around Mar-A-Lago and I had no idea" has some obvious limitations as a defense. Failing to properly secure classified documents is less bad than deliberately seeking to hide them from the government, but it's not exactly gonna get him off scot-free either. I doubt Trump will be satisfied with that, which means his poor lawyers will be forced to try a wilder and more novel line of argument.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Trump is never going to put in jail. Not saying he shouldn't. Just that he won't

Do you have any proof that backs up this assertion? I find it hard to see how you could, given that it concerns the future of a very unprecedented event, but you seem pretty confident.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It occurs to me that in an insane world, Trump could have loaned out those documents for 'donations'. And that at the time of the raid they may not have been given back in time. Meaning that, in this insane world, somebody is out there holding classified documents they're absolutely not supposed to have with no way to give them back without admitting what happened.

But we can assume in our sane, totally normal timeline that the documents are all there, only disorganized.

I guarantee you that Trump was not "loaning" out the actual paper copies of the documents

For one thing, if the "borrower" refuses to return the copy, what the heck is he gonna do about it - call the cops and tell them they won't return the documents he stole?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

If we ever want to have a functional government again the judiciary needs a house cleaning and rules/laws put in place to prevent presidents from stacking it in their favor, particularly presidents that like to pack it with heritage foundation dumb fucks. I would also like a unicorn please.

Isn't it the other way around? If we ever want to have a functional judiciary again, Congress needs a housecleaning and a change of rules/laws. It's largely the fault of Congress that the judicial branch is in the state it's in now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Gee, trumps clownshoes lawyers sure don't seem to matter he's still getting what he wants.

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I've said. People keep talking about how bad his lawyers are. It does not matter.

Trumps not already in jail for having documents any one of us would be already in jail for having even 1 of.

It's clear the law doesn't apply to him already. The rest of this is just a dance to get the public to accept him getting away with all of this. There's going to be all sorts of other "there's no legal basis for this but they're going to let him move forward" BS so get ready for it.

The trial hasn't even started yet, this is pre-trial jockeying over the precise manner in which evidence should be handled. Might be a tad bit premature to be forecasting Trump's total acquittal.

Having a bad lawyer doesn't mean that you lose everything all the time forever! Judges actually can sometimes be fairly patient with people who have bad lawyers, because they can always slap the lawyer down later. Even when somebody wastes the court's time with dumb antics, the judge may tolerate it for a little while, but in the long run it's a pretty poor idea to wear down a judge's patience without a real good reason.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

V-Men posted:

It's not a rock solid case (yet) and Garland is risk-averse enough that he won't indict unless it is rock solid. There's enough wriggle room that Trump can claim (in court) it was just overzealous aides who packed classified materials or anyone else but him and he never knew where they were because aides and assistants and lawyers handled all that for him.

You could argue that his online posts constitute knowledge that he knowingly possessed these records but not that he knew he wasn't supposed to be in possession of them, which Garland probably still personally considers enough reasonable doubt that he wouldn't move to indict.

There's enough wiggle room based on what has been publicly revealed so far, but there's still a lot to it that hasn't gone public. And the administration wouldn't have gone as far as it already has unless they either had something more solid, or had good reason to believe that they will find something more solid.

VitalSigns posted:

That vote certainly would have failed if Dems had actually opposed her enough to show up and not, ya know, voted for her because there weren't enough Republicans there. That is just arithmetic.

As to whether the GOP would have said oh poo poo and gotten everyone back from Epstein's Island: Maybe, maybe not. The GOP would have had to wrangle all its senators who wanted to get all their 200 days off that senators feel entitled to. The Dems could have objected to everything and used every time-wasting rule in the senate, forcing the GOP to prioritize instead of letting them just wave them all through, if they could even get enough Republicans to sit through that instead of enjoying the perks of having a job they can gently caress off from.

Maybe there was enough time and will in the GOP to get it all done anyway but you don't know that because they didn't even bother and it's moot because again she had bipartisan support. And now we're all living with the consequences.

Even in this ultra-partisan landscape filled with Congressional obstructionism, even the GOP isn't whipping against federal judge nominations. As far as I can tell, not a single Biden federal judge confirmation has faced an all-out "all 50 GOP senators show up and vote No" opposition. For that matter, almost all of them actually got GOP crossover votes.

In many cases, this happened even when one or two Dem senators didn't show up, granting the GOP the ability to block or delay the nomination just as you're describing here. But instead of playing games with the nominations to slow the proceedings or force the Dems to get everyone back to DC, the GOP appears to have simply waved them through without seriously whipping up opposition, apparently judging that it was not worth it to waste everyone's time with pointless obstruction. And if even the McConnell GOP doesn't think it's worth obstructing, it probably really isn't worth it.

For example, the nomination of Alison J. Nathan, where 3 Dems didn't show up to the vote - but 3 GOP senators voted Yea to make sure that it passed anyway. Or Mary Dimke, where 7 Dems didn't vote, but 23 GOP senators didn't bother to show up and vote either, and 4 GOP senators crossed the aisle to vote Yea. Or Patricia Giles, where 3 Dems didn't vote, but 22 Republicans crossed the aisle to vote for her.

Thanks to that, Biden has confirmed exactly as many federal judges as Trump had at this point in his term, even though Trump had a larger Senate majority than Biden did.

I'm not going to speculate about why, but even the GOP is still being bipartisan about federal judge nominations. It doesn't really seem to be a point that's been contentious thus far.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Well except at the Supreme Court level right. And the DC Circuit which they filibustered under Obama

For lower judges yeah, but that's to be expected since there isn't any obvious GOP advantage from obstructionism. Less than 50% of federal judges are like Cannon because you still have moderate Republicans on benches, so as long as both parties are cordially voting for each other's judges, Republicans will benefit. Whenever Republicans get within striking distance of total domination, you can expect this will change just like it did for the courts where they went full obstructionist already.

For Democrats the calculus is the opposite, it didn't make sense for them to wave through "chudges" to use D&D parlance, as we can see now with the freakout over a pro-Trump ruling from a Trump appointment that Democrats voted for.

Maybe they believed the fiction that because she was from a respectable family and vetted by the Republicans at the Federalist Society and came highly recommended by Chuck and Nancy's good friend Mitch McConnell, that she couldn't be a "chudge" since she represented the good Republican Party which we need to be strong. Or maybe they just wanted more vacay time on Epstein Island. Either way here we are.

The Supreme Court is quite a different thing, politically. But even then, Ketanji Brown Jackson's nomination didn't face party-line obstructionism (she got 3 GOP votes).

The rest, I don't really get. It seems to be based on the idea that Cannon is a new style of judge, different from what came before, and that the GOP will only nominate those types of judges from now on. But I don't really see that being true. The GOP has been drawing from the Federalist Society rolls for decades. Yeah, Trump's Supreme Court nominees were Federalist Society members...but so were GWB's. Thomas, Alito, and Roberts* were all Federalist Society members. Many of the Bushes' lawyers and legal aides were Federalist Society members. Even Reagan had a fair few Federalist Society members in the ranks of his administration. The Federalist Society, the spearhead of the GOP's partisan project to take over the judicial branch, has been around for forty years. And the conservative legal movement that put it together is even older than that.

*Roberts would object strongly to this sentence, and has sought to make clear to reporters that he never actually paid membership dues during his time participating in Federalist Society activities and leadership

GlyphGryph posted:

Is there any reason for the executive branch to not simply... ignore this judges orders?

Or is the new standard that any judge in the country regardless of jurisdiction is now allowed to make decrees without legal basis that bind the executive branch? Because that seems like an absolutely insane precedent to set.

This is a pretty excessive reaction to a single pre-trial ruling on the handling of evidence. Judges make dumb rulings all the time, that's what the appeals process is for.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Okay? So what is your point then. That Cannon is fine? Or that she's bad but every Republican judge back through the Bush era would do the same (and therefore I suppose we can expect SCOTUS to back her?) Or that she's just a one-off mistake and not the exact kind of judge Republicans are trying to stack on the courts?

It seems to me that as the Republican Party has radicalized, the Federalist Society has gotten bolder about nominating more and more unqualified judges, do you disagree?

Why should I agree with the bolded? I haven't seen any evidence on it one way or the other, and researching it myself seems like a huge pain in the rear end just to refute a point you haven't bothered to back up in the first place. You've just asserted that it's true, but you haven't provided any backing at all for that assertion, so I don't really have any reason to think that it's a reasonable assertion.

And if Federalist Society judges haven't been getting worse (whether because they're not that bad or because they were always that bad), then your argument for the Dems to change their behavior and go full obstructionist in nominations kind of falls apart. After all, even the highly obstructionist GOP still routinely cross the aisle to help Dem court appointments along (though not nearly to the same level as during the Obama administration, when judges were getting confirmed almost-unanimously even as late as summer 2016), so it's difficult to make a case for the Dems pointlessly going full obstructionist even on votes that are guaranteed GOP wins anyway.

In general, I think that the general "politics addict" mindset is very poorly suited to livewatching high-profile court cases, and therefore people (including the media) are catastrophizing over a decision that (by itself) is not particularly consequential. It could lead to more consequential decisions, and definitely shows that the judge is taking some latitude to be excessively favorable to Trump's team at this point, but the special master ruling itself is not a Big Deal. Now, it could become a bigger deal if the appeals court says something truly bizarre, or if she nominates Special Master Steve Bannon, or something like that, but at this point all this amounts to is slowing the DoJ's roll a bit.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

The Republican electoral strategy in Ohio was to ignore decrees by the courts, and they did. Yes, another higher court later expressly rewarded them for doing so, but it was only able to do so because they ignored court decrees until then.

Sure. Agreed. I'm not saying it is. But you agree they would be right in ignoring that hypothetical ruling, right?

The Republicans in Ohio didn't ignore the courts. Every time the courts rejected a map, they complied with the rejection. None of the maps they drew met the court's requirements, but they didn't just ignore the court and put those maps into practice anyway.

If a judge ruled that Trump is president now, the case would be immediately appealed to a higher court, which would immediately put a stay on the ruling, blocking it until the appeals court ruled. That's why your hypothetical doesn't make sense.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

What's interesting is that by far most of the Trump appointed judges that Trump himself has stood before have ruled against him based on the law, though most of those judges were relatively qualified for their appointments anyway. So the question becomes what makes this current Judge dumb enough to try and assuage Trump when so many others were smart enough to tell him to gently caress off?

My (probably naive and overly charitable) guess is that she's spooked by having any part of such an important and sensitive case land on her desk, given her lack of qualifications and the significant possibility that we're on the brink of civil war, so she'd rather let some other judge be the one to decide once and for all whether Trump can claim executive privilege or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Sitting judges' official actions on the bench in the scope of their role as a judge, including rulings, are protected by judicial immunity - even if those actions are outright malicious and obviously illegal.

And by "obviously illegal", I mean poo poo like "the judge orders the police to rough up the defense lawyer", or other things that go well beyond just issuing a ruling we think doesn't line up with the law.

Now, unofficial actions not taken from the bench and outside their role as a judge, such as taking bribes and kickbacks outside the courtroom, or engaging in an extensive media campaign to publicly defame and harass someone, those are things that aren't protected by judicial immunity.

In order to charge a sitting federal judge with obstruction of justice based on one ordinary pre-trial order, you'd probably need evidence of the judge being involved in actual crimes, preferably ones committed outside the courtroom. Issuing a ruling you disagree with isn't illegal.

Part of the underlying logic behind judicial immunity, by the way, is that we already have a working system for dealing with individual bad rulings: they can be appealed to another, higher judge, who is fully empowered to overturn them if they're not in line with the law and the shown facts.