Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Deteriorata posted:

That's what elections are for. If people aren't happy with the job they're doing, they get voted out.

"Voters don't know what's good for them" has a rather undemocratic vibe to it.

Kicking out the olds would probably have done a lot to save us from our current circumstances. I don't really think it's undemocratic to not allow people who won't have to live with the consequences of their short term greed to not just get to sit on a seat for basically life like Feinstein or Thurmond because of incumbency advantage. Plus, it's not like there aren't plenty of other jobs that someone over 65 aren't already disqualified from and none of those jobs are as critical as a president, judge, or congressperson.

Or put another way, we already have the arbitrary minimum age requirements so I don't see anything wrong with arbitrary maximum age requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fart Amplifier posted:

The democrats (a center-right party) are considered too far left by a huge portion of the American population. The GOP is doing their best to kill women and trans people, and also make it impossible to have a fair election ever again, and they're on track to gain control of the House.

The US public is not turning to leftists in any appreciable number. It's far more likely that Joe Biden will face consequences for Hunter's imagined crimes than any sort of leftist revolution.

The US public is definitely trending left amongst Millennials and Zoomers, it just doesn't matter in the face of our electoral systems and voter suppression.

Edit: More on topic, they probably don't need trump to take the stand. The guy has done enough self-incrimination that I don't think we really need to give the guy air time just on the off chance he further admits to doing more crimes.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 18, 2022

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

The Rock is apparently fairly conservative in general, but I dunno if he goes in on this Trump poo poo or not.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

When you boil it down, wrestling is theater primarily featuring nearly naked dudes hugging and doing gymnastics so it's not too surprising that the audience leans left. Also, even though WWE has been frequently just embarrassingly racist, it has also featured minorities in prominent roles in ways that weren't super common way back when in entertainment just in general. There was a time when The Rock was the biggest name in wrestling with Booker T and Rey Myesterio Jr. not being all that far behind him. Even more midcardish wrestlers like Mark Henry and Farooq got their time to shine. I legitimately think you'd struggle to find mainstream television shows during the attitude era with as many minorities given leading roles. Dunno what it's like on that front now though, stopped watching forever ago.

More on topic, I am just thrilled to bits at those bail stipulations, he isn't going to last more than 24 hours before loving one of them up.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Chesebro cannot be a real name

I have been struggling with this the entire time. I thought this thread was meme'ing for weeks until I watched a legal eagle video and heard the pronunciation there and no, he is just straight up cheese bro.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think you could make a pretty compelling case that the people who were aggrieved in the cases he's being charged for have standing to challenge a self-pardon.

They could but but then that becomes a constitutional question (I think) at which point it dies to a 6-3 decision, which would maybe get followed by an impeachment that goes nowhere because of the thin house/senate margins.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, okay? But I was responding to the post saying he'd appoint an AG who would refuse to press the matter and there'd be no one who could do anything about it. That's clearly wrong since citizens could challenge it.

And I'm really not sure that it would come down to a 6-3 decision.

I was taking "and nobody who disagrees is in a position to stop it" in a much broader sense than just limiting to the theoretical AG appointment.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I hope that anyone considering putting up a $500 million bond for him is paying attention

I find posts like this baffling and inexplicable. Of course there are idiots with money who will bail Trump out because they are all in on fascism. Like if you are a multi-billionaire, pissing 500m down the drain to bring in the fash that you crave is good enough regardless of it netting you money in the long run or not. 500m is literally nothing to Elon Musk for example. He doesn't need some sort of return on investment to justify the 500m. His idiot brain just needs to go, "my follower count on twitter will go up if I do it." and that's enough.

Now this isn't me saying that someone will absolutely come to bat to Trump, just that we have enough absolute demons with fuckloads of money who can throw away 500m with a casual lack of care the same way one of us might do so when we really want a pizza. So it's weird to me how the talk around this has mostly been people going, "this is obviously a bad investment, nobody will bite."

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 11, 2024

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Again, this is not free money to Trump. This is almost certainly a secured loan backed up by valuable property, which Chubb will be able to seize and sell to pay off what he owes them (plus interest) if he is unable to come up with the cash.

Ok but what if CHUBB just doesn't collect? Like if the owner/ceo/shareholders are MAGA dipshits, what stops them from forgiving the loan if they are so inclined and can afford to lose 90m? Looking up the CEO, this probably isn't the case, probably. Which is good.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Oil! posted:

Everything is securities fraud, so it would take 1 shareholder to sue and it would be a pretty easy case showing the board wasn't looking after shareholders.

Neat. Thanks for the info!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I've been summoned 3 times. First, I ended up on a grand jury which was pretty sweet but I was unemployed at the time so spending a couple months doing that was fine. 2nd time, I sat around in the waiting area all drat day bored out of my mind before I got called in with a group of people to a case about a guy driving drunk. Don't think he had killed anybody, but when the judge asked if we could be impartial over a drunk driving case, just about everybody said they couldn't so we all got dismissed and then we could go home. This 3rd time, I didn't even see the summons until 2 months after my date because I am exceedingly bad about looking at my physical mail. Just called and they let me reschedule for august but jokes on them, I will probably have moved before then.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Hobologist posted:

But what if the state Trump hides in just declines to arrest him for anything? That way, the governor could respond to the demand of the New York governor by saying "Sorry, we don't have Donald Trump; can't help you."

If Texas rangers can cross state lines to compel texas house democrats to show up for sessions, I think new york can maybe figure something out.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

The Bible posted:

Fair enough, but maybe don't allow him to potentially take power again? Attacking your own government in an attempt to overthrow it should really be treated a little more seriously than your bog standard white-collar crime.

There is no clear-cut mechanism to stop this at this point. Congress needed to impeach him and they didn't so now *nothing matters other than beating him in the election.

*: Assuming the supreme court rules, "well the constitution doesn't say you can't be president from jail." and given the makeup, I see little reason not to think this.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

So some people here are mad that Biden *isn't* doing what Trump is endlessly bleating about and weaponizing the DOJ to crush him?

Yeah sure, where I am going to define weaponizing the DOJ as treating donald trump like he was a black drug dealer. That exact level of unempathetic cruelty is exactly what I think the insurrectionist rapist deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Even if he's found guilty on all 34 felonies, it's not going to stop him from being elected. You have unrealistic expectations.

I dunno, it might! If Comey's letter had an effect in 2016 then it's possible the low info brainlets could be swayed by a conviction.