Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

No mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I know, former Chief Executive & all that...

But just reading this, he is fuuuuuuucked.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I think that all of the theories about why he took them are true. I can only add that: I get the impression that the boxes contained whatever he swept off of his desk at the end of the day, only swapping in new boxes when they were full. And he kept the boxes (and dug his heels in before moving out of the White House) when someone told him he couldn't take them (that opinion's a bit weak since I don't think that there was anyone left after the election who dared ever say, "no".)

Certainly he is cunning enough to have recognized that these documents were (to varying degrees) intrinsically powerful, and in his lizard brain, power=money, and possibly leverage. Just too stupid to keep quiet about them.

But I am skeptical that he had any real plan. He plans like an 8-year-old.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Leon Sumbitches posted:

The only problem with this desk-theory is that many documents are marked SCI, meaning they never should have left the SCIF they were reviewed in. This is weirder and deeper than "swept things off the desk at the end of the day".

An excellent point.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

A handler can plan if he is a foreign asset.

I did wonder if someone coughcough Kushner, Bannon coughcough got in his ear to help make the connection. Because we all know pmurt couldn’t be bothered/wasn’t able to read the mass of text.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

(Pure speculation on my part) I would imagine so, but remaining within sight at all times of the cleared person that brought them there, and insures that those documents also leave with them when whomever is through with reading them.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

From what I understand, the empty folders have serial numbers or code numbers that specify the nature of the contents, so it shouldn't take long to reunite them to the loose documents...and determine which documents remain missing.

Can't wait to see how the chudge responds to the DOJ..

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Judges.

First rule of court: Don't piss off the judge.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

This is what happens when justice is not upheld.
https://mobile.twitter.com/hughhewitt/status/1570469489350688769
That's right, more incitement messaging!

These are both true statements, although the first one: not in the way you think, Donald.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

To add to this: The GOP has abandoned the basic function of government: to serve the people; to act as a governor on the voice of the people (or individually, their constituencies) and the power of their will.

Quite telling that they complain about 'giving people things' so that the people vote for more of such behaviour.

Look, fucknuts: if you want to earn power, and hold it, you need to have a platform that is appealing to the voters. Doing your jobs - helping people in a humanist way - is a core foundation of democratic politics.

The GOP's last rational moment of introspection was after the '08 election, when they realized that they would have to open their tent to non-white, non-rich folks if they expected to survive as a party in a representative democracy.

I am of high hopes that the GOP is going to learn this fall what happens when all that you have left is pandering to folks that are already fully in your camp. The alternative is full fascism.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I get that, from an institutional perspective, the government is in no hurry to indict a former (or current) president as it crosses the Rubicon of making it a political weapon, which is one of the reasons the GOP is whining about this being a purely political stunt: it's a threat, that they will wield it as a cudgel (facts be damned) if they ever get back into the majority.

However, this dipshit has a mountain of evidence against him; one so large, it's unlikely to be duplicated by any future chief executive. And he admits it. We are now in a territory where not indicting him is doing more damage to the institutions of government in this country than letting him run around, even when he continues to hammer himself in the balls with admissions like this.

e: corrected 'president" and...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Like the GOP isn't going to politicize presidential indictments anyway. That cat is already out of the bag, might as well use it to do the right thing before Republicans take congressional majority and really gently caress things up.

This. In spades.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 11, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What really annoys me about this is this bullshit about how this was 'partially funded by Hillary Clinton." Completely ignoring the reality that the Steele investigation was hired up by the GOP for oppo research against Trump during the GOP primaries.

Once he became the presumptive nominee, sure the Democrats picked it up.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Arguably they could make certified-mail or sheriff's service on any Trump business entity or lawyer that is formally representing the individual or crime empire business.

I have been served in my professional capacity as an insurance adjuster by certified mail at my company's home office, or any captive agency. In fact, some lawyers go out of their way to serve us in the remotest location of ours that they can find in hopes that we don't answer in a timely manner, at which point they attempt a Motion for Summary Judgement.

So: the Committee working to find the most direct service entity to Pmurt is actually trying to move the process along smartly. They don't give 2-shits about making things 'easier.'

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

There's a limit to how far they can go with gerrymandering and denying the franchise. I think that they've reached their high-water mark.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The last good-faith conservative was Eisenhower, and the Democratic Party is right of him now.

It's odd to witness the slow death of the Republican Party since 1980, the first elections I voted in. They had far more power as a loyal opposition. The main elemental changes are the the brazen influence of money, and the failure and death of the Fourth Estate. You simply cannot have a functioning representative democracy without an informed citizenry.

Corporate prerogatives trump everything else, and the utter absence of regulation, either internal (self-control driven by a sense of proportion and perspective) or external has led us here. The current iteration of the GOP has absolutely no integrity whatsoever - no foundation besides power and profit, and it has destroyed the party and may destroy the country as well. This leaves the Democratic Party as the paragon of reason, since they are the only ones with any sense of integrity at all.

It took fifty years for us to get here, and would take longer for us to get out - if we committed to removing money from the electoral equation and found a way to restore faith in mass media.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Don't have to go fascist, just clarify and enforce the regulations we already have on the books. It's not realistic to roll the Telecommunications Act back to the 1934 iteration, but focusing the public policy provisions would go a long way towards re-establishing fact-based journalism in the service of democracy. There is a place for outlets like Fox News: entertainment. Such things have always been around but with a fact-based news media, they had, before 1996, kept in perspective.

This op-ed from Brookings (I know, I know) gives a fair primer on the purposes of the FCC:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/revisiting-the-broadcast-public-interest-standard-in-communications-law-and-regulation/

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If they can pretzel-logic their way into resurrecting JFK Jr. from the ocean floor, no doubt.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Remember also that the mainstream news media is completely corrupted, so the coverage is usually tilted towards whatever right-wing nutjob outrage du jour is flowing through the intersphere (either directly, or as reactions to, as though it were a real thing) and consequently it lends the impression that we are not living through a pivotal and unprecedented period in US national politics, nor that real social change is actually going on. We all need feedback to some extent or another, and not seeing these things being reported by the larger chunks of mass media leaves the false impression that nothing progressive is landing/changing.

Look at the midterms. Polling firms mis-read, or entirely missed, the real anger and frustration of the majority of voters, especially women. We all knew people affected by GQP policies, but that groundswell was never given the coverage it should have.

I lived through Watergate and Nixon's resignation. It was a story of international scope that was in the press for years and had knock-on effects through all strata of society & media.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

First out: Trump should be barred from ever holding public office

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I get the sense that most doom-postings are coping mechanisms.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Waiting on the Biscuits of Truth to meet the Toaster of Reality

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

And DeLay (the wall-eyed exterminator), and Hastert (needs no introduction). And it started with the Contract for America. That great sucking sound that followed was the great Brain Drain of 1994, when the process of purging any Republican with a spine commenced.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"I don't know how to find a source that isn't an echo chamber" sums up a lot of this bullshit. They're told over and over again that non-echo chambers are part of the conspiracy and to never trust them.

The brainwashing is next level and extremely effective.

He got to DC by living in an echo chamber.

It's frustrating.

My neighbor had a friend.

Twenty years ago this friend was a union mason at the bottom of the totem pole, scraping by on leavings from more senior union guys, and collecting unemployment for the winter. He started a concrete business, laying sidewalks, patios and driveways, and it took off. He is literally a self-made man and now doing very well financially. Coincident with that rise came TRump, Fox, and his purchase of tons of guns.

He has Fox on at home at all times and he'd come over to my neighbor's bar and go off with this TRump BS. After a couple hours of talking to him about the reality-based world, appealing to his innate sense of logic & reasoning, he'd start to come round.

Then he'd go home & be bathed in Fox all night. Lather, rinse, repeat. We finally gave up on him.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BiggerBoat posted:

Definitely. It was also compounded by the incredibly stupid decision to invade Iraq in response and the even stupider massive amount of public support for it. I was devastated but also optimistic about the country being able to handle it, inspired somewhat by the (brief) sense of unity and then was just baffled by the entire response and what I consider the exploitation and hijacking of american patriotism by the right.

All that Toby Keith poo poo and being called a terrorist supporter for questioning the war and what not. I felt like I was on a different planet.

The war was an excuse for the single largest transfer of wealth to corporations and the rich since Vietnam. And that's saying a lot.

We didn't "waste billions in Iraq." We sent it to the wealthy, right here at home.

There was a reason why the right got so bent out of shape at "No Blood For Oil."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Calling it now: he tries to flee to Georgia but ends up in the wrong one.

Now I see him knocking on MTG's door in the middle of the night to ask if he can move in to her guest bedroom.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What's odd to me is that the larger percentage of insurrectionist traitors were in upper income brackets.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The “Save America by colluding with Russia” PAC

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^That's also assuming Trump is telling the truth and actually knows something about an imminent arrest instead of just making poo poo up or parroting horseshit he gleaned from Qanon or what a drunken Gullani told him. And it could absolutely be just that loving stupid where that is the source of his information.

At this stage of the game, I think him being arrested will only solidify his base and fire them up (it's happening!) but someone should tell Donald that if he's actually tried, then the RATINGS will be record setting. That'd probably be enough to get him to turn himself in.

100% guarantee that if this happens, Trump at some point will reference the ratings he's getting.

"Three words:

LEGAL*
DEFENSE
FUND

*criminal

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BigglesSWE posted:

The best case scenario (which is absolutely not happening just to be clear) is that Trump actually get “rescued” by his chud base and whisked away for his safety to some undisclosed location. Because remember: no one hates his base more than Trump himself.

This requires a level of competence in planning and logistics not demonstrated to date by his supporters

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BiggerBoat posted:

THis is enticing and maybe I'm stupid but how is this not an attorney/client privilege thing?

Ja that privelege does not extend to discussions about helping your client hide or do crimes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm in camp "Trump will go to jail" but goddamn if every turn of this saga hasn't ended in disappointment. Why would this stage suddenly start working on time with positive results when literally no other stage of the investigation has?

Sooner or later, the defendant runs out of time.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Silly Burrito posted:

So he can still plead the fifth and say nothing?

Says that he can 5th on his actions as acting President of the Senate on 1/6, not on everything - especially his conversations with Trump.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, it is a conflict of self-interest.

Something that would be fairly obvious to the self-aware.

but

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Which is complety consistent with Trump's belief that being President meant that he had unlimited powers to do whatever he felt like.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The GOP does this in hopes of hanging it around the Democrat's necks.

Every time they do it - and I believe that this will be the third time in the last 30-years - everyone knows it's the GOP pulling this crap, and that they have, once again, punched themselves in the dick.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Violation of the Espionage Act means he's barred from politics if convicted?

While I'd love to see him rot in prison/house arrest in a Faraday cage, I will accept that his efforts at a political career are over.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 9, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Deteriorata posted:

You're thinking of the 14th amendment, which has been used successfully on an rear end in a top hat in Arizona who was at the 1/6 party.

Ah, yes.

I'm thinking that some of those espionage charges may lead there. I would not be surprised at all that he's traded on some classified information, and the tiny Pollyanna in me hopes that they're setting the table for it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ms Adequate posted:

The way Trump gets out of this is to disrespect Wu-Tang, then it absolutely precludes any ability for him to get a fair trial

Of all the secrets that he could reveal

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pillowpants posted:

Court cases take forever. I was just involved as a a defendant in one that spanned 3 states and is still on going in one. One of the people involved in the case has managed to make another case he’s in get delayed repeatedly over 7 years. Given Trump and who is there’s no way he won’t try that tactic.

Federal court? My (admittedly civil rather than criminal) experience as a defendant (for my company) in that venue is that the Federal bench has no sense of humour when it comes to delay tactics, and move things along expeditiously.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Old Surly posted:

Jesus, what a mess. Is there a world where throwing all this spaghetti at the wall helps him? Like legally.

It’s like watching a Roomba stuck in a corner, just banging away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

raminasi posted:

How do you cross-examine someone who aimlessly, endlessly babbles like Trump? (I don't mean that rhetorically. I'm sure a good lawyer could - I just don't know anything about it.)

A great deal of my trial prep was learning to shut up and answer with the shortest possible response, preferably ‘yes’ or ‘no.’

When opposing counsel asked leading questions, or told a story chock-full of innuendo with a question mark at the end so that they could beat me to death on follow-up, my response would be, “I’m sorry, but could you re-phrase the question?” until they stuck to a single black & white point.

This moron is a defense attorney’s worst nightmare. Competent counsel can get you home with the least bleeding, but only if you put your ego aside and follow what they say to the letter. Keep it simple, one topic at a time, don’t get cute, don’t get sucked into a battle of wits. Staying boring, really dull, is an ideal strategy for depositions & trial testimony cross.

Now let’s all take a moment to imaging our beautiful smart boy following any of this advice.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 23, 2023