Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

bird food bathtub posted:

Not a law-talker so someone may very well be able to correct me on this. I don't see her throwing the case in a blatant "GOD EMPEROR TRUMP IS INNOCENT" manner. My crystal ball scrying is that Cannon will make the case entirely irrelevant by dicking around with the trial and loving over the prosecution on every single last possible tiny little ridiculous bullshit ticky tacky thing she can to drag the process out for more years than Trump is likely to continue to be alive, and long past the next election. Filing bullshit motions and arguing over imaginary interpretations of everything is Trump's legal strategy. I can only see that getting exponentially more effective when the referee is in your pocket.

In the end he would not suffer the consequences he deserves and the judiciary system would get to maintain the absurd fig leaf of legitimacy that it desperately clings to while supreme court members get bribed and overturn Roe v. Wade.

Oh. :smith: The case is still dead though. I guess I was just hoping there was some way of salvaging this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Travic posted:

Oh. :smith: The case is still dead though. I guess I was just hoping there was some way of salvaging this.

What? No?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Every indication is that the case with Canon is just one of several more indictments coming down the pipe for our golden haired boy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Travic posted:

You know none of the stuff in that post has happened, right?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Travic posted:

What? I’m not sure how that could be the conclusion you draw from this.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

What? I’m not sure how that could be the conclusion you draw from this.

Because nothing that is even slightly good can ever happen, and we're all doomed, of course.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's been coming up a bunch more recently because of china's role in the fentanyl and meth trade (specifically wrt the nearly unlimited supply of precursors coming out of china). it's not really a political issue yet but it probably will be in a couple of years at the current rate. trump's also always been pretty aware of china given they've always been his #1 enemy and his dipshit white nationalist advisors even more so

Much like the whole thing with Putin and Ukraine, if he really had a solution and clout to MAKE A DEAL why not just loving do it to help save the thousands of lives he proclaims to talk about? Obviously he doesn't care about that at all, he just wants credit for it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

bird food bathtub posted:

Not a law-talker so someone may very well be able to correct me on this. I don't see her throwing the case in a blatant "GOD EMPEROR TRUMP IS INNOCENT" manner. My crystal ball scrying is that Cannon will make the case entirely irrelevant by dicking around with the trial and loving over the prosecution on every single last possible tiny little ridiculous bullshit ticky tacky thing she can to drag the process out for more years than Trump is likely to continue to be alive, and long past the next election. Filing bullshit motions and arguing over imaginary interpretations of everything is Trump's legal strategy. I can only see that getting exponentially more effective when the referee is in your pocket.

In the end he would not suffer the consequences he deserves and the judiciary system would get to maintain the absurd fig leaf of legitimacy that it desperately clings to while supreme court members get bribed and overturn Roe v. Wade.

She did the same thing in the previous trial and eventually the DOJ appealed it all & the 11th Circuit immediately rolled up the newspaper and got the spray bottle out and told her she was a bad judge. Given her blatant hack rulings in the previous trial a) idk that she has it in her to interfere in more clever/subtle ways that will withstand any scrutiny at all and b) I dont think the DOJ is going to treat it with nearly the same patience they did before, especially given that they know the 11th has already ruled heavily in their favor for similar issues.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/jan-6-rioter-electroshocked-dc-officer-michael-fanone-sentenced-125-ye-rcna89388

12.5yr sentence of the 14yr requested by prosecutors. After the sentence was read, presumably the traitor yelled, "T won". :thermidor:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

quote:

Rodriguez “deeply respected and idolized Trump,” whom he saw “as the father he wished he had,”

My god.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ryde posted:

My god.

looking at jr. and eric with seething envy for their quality parenting

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump receives first batch of evidence against him in classified documents case, including audio tapes

quote:

Special counsel Jack Smith has begun producing evidence in the Mar-a-Lago documents case to Donald Trump, according to a Wednesday court filing that hints that investigators collected for the case multiple recordings of the former president – not just audio of an interview Trump gave at Bedminster for a forthcoming Mark Meadows memoir.

Prosecutors in the filing used the plural “interviews” to describe recordings of Trump – made with his consent – obtained by the special counsel that have now been turned over to his defense team. It is unclear what the additional recordings may be of or how relevant they will be to the Justice Department’s case against the former president, though the recordings include the Bedminster tape where Trump speaks about a secret military document to a writer and others, the prosecutors said in the filing.

The prosecutors’ update to the court on Wednesday night marks another swift move toward trial, which the Justice Department has said should happen quickly, and captures at least some of the extent of the evidence investigators secured to build their historic case against Trump.

The first batch of discovery production – made up of unclassified materials – includes transcripts of witness testimony in front of the grand juries in Washington, DC, and Florida that were probing the mishandling of government documents from Trump’s White House. It also includes materials collected via subpoenas and search warrants; memos detailing other witness interviews given through mid-May in the investigation; and copies of the surveillance footage investigators obtained in the probe.

The first batch of evidence, provided on Wednesday, “includes the grand jury testimony of witnesses who will testify for the government at the trial of this case,” the special counsel’s office wrote.

“Defense counsel can contact the government to arrange for inspection of unclassified items seized at Mar-a-Lago on August 8, 2022,” the filing said.

The new submission indicates that Trump’s co-defendant, Walt Nauta has not yet received discovery, but the Smith team said they will promptly provide it once a lawyer enters an appearance for him in the case. Nauta is scheduled to be arraigned next Tuesday.

Trump has pleaded not guilty to the charges Smith has brought against him, which include charges for willful retention of national defense information as well charges stemming from alleged obstruction of the investigation.

Moving right along.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Not directly related to Trump at the moment, but I'll bet a dollar that it connects to him eventually:

DHS watchdog has launched criminal probe into destruction of Jan. 6 Secret Service text messages, sources say

quote:

The Department of Homeland Security’s Inspector General has launched a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the destruction of Secret Service text messages that may have been relevant to inquiries about the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, two sources familiar with the matter told NBC News.

The results of the investigation could be referred to federal prosecutors, the sources said, depending on the results.

The DHS Inspector General informed the Secret Service on Wednesday evening that the investigation is now criminal and that it should halt all internal investigations on the missing text messages, according to a letter detailed to NBC News.

“To ensure the integrity of our investigation, the USSS must not engage in any further investigative activities regarding the collection and preservation of the evidence referenced above,” DHS Deputy Inspector General Gladys Ayala wrote in a letter to Secret Service Director James Murray on Wednesday evening. “This includes immediately refraining from interviewing potential witnesses, collecting devices or taking any other action that would interfere with an ongoing criminal investigation.”

The letter was first reported by CNN.

In a statement, the Secret Service said it was “in receipt of the Department of Homeland Security Inspector General’s letter. We have informed the January 6th Select Committee of the Inspector General’s request and will conduct a thorough legal review to ensure we are fully cooperative with all oversight efforts and that they do not conflict with each other.”

However, a Secret Service official said the letter raises some legal complexities, because while DHS has asked Secret Service to halt its internal inquires the agency also faces a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee and a demand for information about the texts from the National Archives.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deteriorata posted:

Not directly related to Trump at the moment, but I'll bet a dollar that it connects to him eventually:

DHS watchdog has launched criminal probe into destruction of Jan. 6 Secret Service text messages, sources say

my theory on this has always been that it was actually the opposite of conspiring with Trump, it's the secret service discussing "uh how do we violate our responsibilities to the president and keep him from er doing a coup"

they crammed him in a car and refused to take him to the capitol attack, sad lmao

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

my theory on this has always been that it was actually the opposite of conspiring with Trump, it's the secret service discussing "uh how do we violate our responsibilities to the president and keep him from er doing a coup"

they crammed him in a car and refused to take him to the capitol attack, sad lmao

There was a faction within the SS that was clearly working with Trump. My guess is that the messages showed coordination with the Proud Boys or Oath Keepers - or Roger Stone.

Who gave the order to delete them and why is going to be interesting.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

idiotsavant posted:

She did the same thing in the previous trial and eventually the DOJ appealed it all & the 11th Circuit immediately rolled up the newspaper and got the spray bottle out and told her she was a bad judge. Given her blatant hack rulings in the previous trial a) idk that she has it in her to interfere in more clever/subtle ways that will withstand any scrutiny at all and b) I dont think the DOJ is going to treat it with nearly the same patience they did before, especially given that they know the 11th has already ruled heavily in their favor for similar issues.

Yeah I'm betting Smith has am upper limit of bs before he moves to have Cannon recuse herself. It's easier to do it when you have a bunch of documented reasons I guess

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Having damning consensual interviews is probably the worst case for Trump. Unless Cannon decides to throw the case entirely and transparently, there's nothing she can really do to shield him.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lordy there are tapes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Fart Amplifier posted:

Having damning consensual interviews is probably the worst case for Trump. Unless Cannon decides to throw the case entirely and transparently, there's nothing she can really do to shield him.

He'll just say he didn't say those things like he always does, even when presented with the recordings themselves. Then everyone will promptly forget it ever happened.

He has done a ton of illegal poo poo quite openly, and none of it stuck. This won't either. It will just vanish like everything else brought against him.

Get annoyed with me all you like. If I'm wrong, I'm Toxxed, so you'll never have to hear from me again. I'm not wrong, though. This will not be what finally brings Trump down.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Oracle posted:

Lordy there are tapes.

of course there are tapes

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Oracle posted:

Lordy there are tapes.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

of course there are tapes

They're going to play the piss tape in federal court, aren't they?

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 22, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Google Jeb Bush posted:

why would they have to destroy evidence of themselves doing their jobs and duties

there's a far simpler explanation

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
tldr. Liars. Whiners.

Deteriorata posted:

...However, a Secret Service official said the letter raises some legal complexities, because while DHS has asked Secret Service to halt its internal inquires the agency also faces a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee and a demand for information about the texts from the National Archives.
What a load of tripe. Biden should replace quite a many more of them, it seems.

How do they "face a subpoena" from a dissolved House investigation when, oh yeah, they didn't cooperate with the subpoena? How does a "demand for info" from the national archives prevent them from halting their own investigation? Durr, just maybe stop delaying and give the archives the data you have? Or are you trying to get Tindicted? If you claim they lack legal standing to interfere, sue them or wait for them to sue you.

I love how these orgs/groups/depts seem to think the law is this huge complicated jumbled mess, when it fact 95% of it is the most straightforward guidance imaginable. Not following it seems the surefire method to make it harder to follow in the future. "I didn't respond to the subpoena or the archives, now I'm juggling three possibly-conflicting requests, waaaa I'm so persecuted!"

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

tldr. Liars. Whiners.

What a load of tripe. Biden should replace quite a many more of them, it seems.

How do they "face a subpoena" from a dissolved House investigation when, oh yeah, they didn't cooperate with the subpoena? How does a "demand for info" from the national archives prevent them from halting their own investigation? Durr, just maybe stop delaying and give the archives the data you have? Or are you trying to get Tindicted? If you claim they lack legal standing to interfere, sue them or wait for them to sue you.

I love how these orgs/groups/depts seem to think the law is this huge complicated jumbled mess, when it fact 95% of it is the most straightforward guidance imaginable. Not following it seems the surefire method to make it harder to follow in the future. "I didn't respond to the subpoena or the archives, now I'm juggling three possibly-conflicting requests, waaaa I'm so persecuted!"

It's not that the request prevents them from halting their own investigation, it's that responding to the subpoena/NARA request for information may require something that is functionally an internal investigation, which USSS's papa agency has told them to halt.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

There was a faction within the SS that was clearly working with Trump. My guess is that the messages showed coordination with the Proud Boys or Oath Keepers - or Roger Stone.

Who gave the order to delete them and why is going to be interesting.

And not related to Trump's Legal Troubles, but got me curious--anyone have any more details on the status of the Biden-Secret Service relationship now? I remember reading early in the administration that Biden didn't trust the SS because of Trump, which is a little unnerving. The Praetorian Guard wasn't exactly a pillar of political stability back in the day.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Judgy Fucker posted:

And not related to Trump's Legal Troubles, but got me curious--anyone have any more details on the status of the Biden-Secret Service relationship now? I remember reading early in the administration that Biden didn't trust the SS because of Trump, which is a little unnerving. The Praetorian Guard wasn't exactly a pillar of political stability back in the day.

Pence was smart enough not to get into the limo that would have promptly dumped him into the potomac with a few extra holes in his head.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

The Bible posted:

He'll just say he didn't say those things like he always does, even when presented with the recordings themselves. Then everyone will promptly forget it ever happened.

He has done a ton of illegal poo poo quite openly, and none of it stuck. This won't either. It will just vanish like everything else brought against him.

Get annoyed with me all you like. If I'm wrong, I'm Toxxed, so you'll never have to hear from me again. I'm not wrong, though. This will not be what finally brings Trump down.

jesus you sound like an exhausting whiner and a delusional clown. Maybe take a break from the news huh?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

One "perk" of judge Cannon being so clearly in the tank is I've seen less weird cringy (in this case) maternalistic stuff about how Mommy Cannon is finally going to give Trump the spanking he needs and so forth.

I remember it most with Mueller, as above, but there was several of these at different points.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump campaign's Election Day operations official appears before Jan. 6 grand jury

quote:

The former deputy director of Election Day operations for Donald Trump's 2020 campaign appeared before a federal grand jury Thursday as part of special counsel Jack Smith's investigation into Jan. 6 and efforts to interfere with the lawful transfer of presidential power.

Gary Michael Brown, who has been accused of being involved in the so-called fake electors scheme after the 2020 election, was seen headed into the third-floor grand jury space at a courthouse in Washington, D.C., where a grand jury has been hearing testimony about efforts to stop the transfer of power to President Joe Biden.

Stanley Woodward — an attorney who is representing several Trump aides, including Walt Nauta, who was indicted along with Trump in the Mar-a-Lago case — accompanied Brown in court on Thursday but declined to comment.

Brown, speaking with a member of the media after emerging from the E. Barrett Prettyman Federal Courthouse, declined to comment, saying he was “starving” and wanted to get a sandwich.

The now-defunct Jan. 6 committee in Congress, when subpoenaing Brown last year, said it had found “credible evidence” that he was “aware of, and participated in, efforts to promote unsupported allegations of fraud in the November 2020 Presidential election and encourage state legislators to alter the outcome of the November 2020 election by, among other things, appointing alternate slates of electors to send competing electoral votes to the United States Congress.”

The committee also said that Brown and other members of Trump’s campaign had a coordinated strategy “to contact Republican members of state legislatures in certain states that former President Trump had lost and urge them to ‘reclaim’ their authority by sending an alternate slate of electors that would support former President Trump.” The committee said that it appeared Brown “helped manage the Trump campaign staffers participating in this effort.”

NBC News reported last week that two of the "fake electors" testified before the federal grand jury in D.C. on the same day that Trump appeared at a federal courthouse in Miami in connection with his indictment over his handling of classified records. Trump pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.

Smith's investigation into Jan. 6 and efforts to interfere in the transfer of power is separate from the probe that led to Trump’s indictment in Florida, although some of the grand jury proceedings related to that indictment took place in D.C. as well.

The special counsel's office declined to comment Thursday on Brown's appearance.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

on the subject of regressives getting evidence andf stuff, what ever happen to the capitol jan 6 videos that either Fox News or Tuck got.

the change of custody of regressive poo poo has to be lined with people similar to Donnie's margo.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

on the subject of regressives getting evidence andf stuff, what ever happen to the capitol jan 6 videos that either Fox News or Tuck got.

the change of custody of regressive poo poo has to be lined with people similar to Donnie's margo.

Given all the other poo poo shows going on at Fox News lately, somebody probably mst the wide executive decision to pull the plug on that fiasco.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Simplex posted:

Given all the other poo poo shows going on at Fox News lately, somebody probably mst the wide executive decision to pull the plug on that fiasco.

The new, updated footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqLhdInGrk

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

projecthalaxy posted:

One "perk" of judge Cannon being so clearly in the tank is I've seen less weird cringy (in this case) maternalistic stuff about how Mommy Cannon is finally going to give Trump the spanking he needs and so forth.

I remember it most with Mueller, as above, but there was several of these at different points.

Maybe the weirdos who made Mueller art have have made newer material harder to find because I haven’t seen much about Jack Smith. Up until recently it was mostly that picture of him in his robes working for The Hauge and wishcasting. If Jack Smith thirst art is being made I hope it stays under whatever rock it currently inhabits.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

b0ng posted:

Maybe the weirdos who made Mueller art have have made newer material harder to find because I haven’t seen much about Jack Smith. Up until recently it was mostly that picture of him in his robes working for The Hauge and wishcasting. If Jack Smith thirst art is being made I hope it stays under whatever rock it currently inhabits.

I found a guy called Jack Smith with a pink snake fursona. Maybe that's the man himself? :v:

Every so often I read (or write) a post that reminds me how goddamn weird politics are these days.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/jun/22/trumps-legal-team-vouches-putting-him-stand-federa/

wow posted:

Former President Donald Trump should testify in any of his pending court battles, including the federal trial on charges of mishandling classified documents and obstructing justice, a member of his legal team said.

“I think he’s a fantastic advocate for himself because nobody can say it better than himself what he did and didn’t do,” she said.

“I think that he’s very educated, very well-spoken, and he’s done nothing wrong. So when he’s done nothing wrong, you speak to that when you can and when it’s legally sound,” she said.

Well that's one way to lube the guillotine.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

quote:

I think that he’s very educated,

:yooge: :wrong:

quote:

very well-spoken

:yooge: :wrong: :wrong:

quote:

and he’s done nothing wrong

:yooge: :yooge: :yooge:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is absolutely his legal team trying to stay on his good side/project confidence.

Nobody could be that bad of an attorney.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i'm just picturing trump doing that "its ok" voice to the jury the entire time
"it's okaaaay. it's okaay. don't worry about it, it's okaaaay"
"you're free to go, sir"
"thhhhhhhhhhhhank you"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
How do you cross-examine someone who aimlessly, endlessly babbles like Trump? (I don't mean that rhetorically. I'm sure a good lawyer could - I just don't know anything about it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

raminasi posted:

How do you cross-examine someone who aimlessly, endlessly babbles like Trump? (I don't mean that rhetorically. I'm sure a good lawyer could - I just don't know anything about it.)

They kinda-sorta managed it in the Alex Jones trial. They asked direct, specific, yes-or-no-only questions and (generally) stuck to only those answers. Problem I see with this case is that in the Jones trial the judge was right there when objections were raised, willing to dick slap him, force him to shut the gently caress up, sit the gently caress down, answer the question that was asked and only the question that was asked. I can absolutely see the sycophantic chudge in this case working against the prosecution by not forcing that to happen so Trump can burp out his usual stream of verbal diarrhea instead of answering any questions.