Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah, the US military doesn’t ever get enough credit for how well they logistically did when they pulled out of Afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah reads like a staffer post. They're obviously doing the dumbass misspellings for verisimilitude but it's extremely:sad: and !Jeb¡ energy.

Or else they have him drugged up

I have a theory that the all caps posts are always him and he does it because his eye sight is poo poo and it’s the only way he can see what he’s typing to the chagrin (probably) of everyone on his staff who’s tried to explain to him that it sounds like yelling. To which he probably said, “good”

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

https://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/sites/dcd/files/23sc31%20Attachment%20A%20-%20Documents%20unsealed%20with%20redactions.pdf

For some reason I spent about two hours last night reading over half of this 200 pages of the released court filings of Twitter vs the US government regarding the warrant for Trump’s account. Judge Howell spends two entire hearings tearing the throat out of twitter’s lawyers. Twitter wanted to notify Trump to the warrant and give him time to legally respond (with court actions of his own) to block it if needed, even though a) it was a covert warrant and b) Twitter has never notified anyone before. When twitter’s lawyers said that they had “selectively” let certain users know of a covert warrant, or argued in court for the NDO (nondisclosure order) to be removed they’d previously had it removed so they could tell the user. Howell did not believe them, called them out on it, and said “oh really? Then I want every single case # of every instance where Twitter asked for an NDO to be removed and the legal reasons argued for selectively exercising rights for those’s user’s rights by end of day.” The twitter lawyer then backpedaled quite unsuccessfully. Howell did not have any of it.

Twitter’s rationale for notifying Trump was simply the most amazing mental gymnastics I’ve ever read. They argued that it is possible there might be some “official proceedings of government” in Trump’s DMs, and because of that the account would fall under executive privilege as well as the PRA. Twitter said something like, “these are extremely challenging questions that give us pause.” Judge Howell lit into them with “I believe for myself and the US government attorneys here these legal questions are neither extremely challenging nor giving us any pause at all.” The government’s statement was a) it’s absolutely preposterous to believe that Trump would use a Twitter DM to act out an official proceeding of government. That just didn’t happen. b) if he did, then it belongs to the executive branch and since the DOJ IS the executive branch they have the full privilege to see it. There can’t be a privilege breach to the same branch of government (the twitter lawyers had to be reminded of this). And c) while all his tweets were handed over to NARA as some form of quasi-presidential records thing, his DMs, IP address info, all the other technical dirt they want from the account are certainly not presidential records. They’re his Twitter account records, plain and simple.

But that wasn’t the best part. The DOJ strongly put forward that giving Trump any notice of the warrant would allow him to obstruct justice. Twitter didn’t believe so, argued he’s an upstanding guy, really. Twitter actually cited the Mueller Report in their brief as a reference to a time where Mueller notified Trump before they subpoenaed and interviewed a witness, to allow Trump time to object. Howell said to Twitter, “you actually have the audacity to quote the report that goes into detail for 100s of pages about specifically how justice was Obstructed by the very Twitter user in question?” There was some legal stuff about how a warrant is covert, but subpoenaing someone for an interview never is covert because said person can turn right around and tell Trump themselves they were served. That makes a warrant and an interview factually different entities and Twitter lawyer’s really should not have trouble understanding that. Howell pointed out with a smirk that in the DOJ’s counter-brief they cited google.. like they literally loving googled the case law that explains this difference for Twitter’s lawyers. “Lemme search that for you”. It was amazing. Reading it felt like being in the room with them. By the end of the hearing Howell granted the DOJ the $50,000 fine that doubles and compounds every day until Twitter fulfills the warrant, without question. It was a brutal smackdown.

Suffice it to say the subsequent time they met they already owed $350,000. Howell was not happy with Twitter’s performance. Twitter was trying very hard to get the DOJ everything but was still trying to slow walk a few things (like internal emails). There was definitely some things the DOJ asked for that Twitter engineer’s just couldn’t produce (like lists of who clicked on a shortened url) without setting fire to their servers. They hadn’t yet handed over any internal emails regarding the @realdonaldtrump account because when they searched that term in their company wide mail repository it returned over a million emails. They have to work with the DOJ to fulfill some search parameters or they are going to be turning them all over.

Weirdest thing was that there is a thing called a Fleet? It’s a tweet that disappears after a set time? Like..fleeting. Nobody in the courtroom including twitter’s lawyer even knew they existed. I guess Trump’s account had a bunch of them. I’ve never heard of them either.

And there are three backups of Trump’s account, one probably made at the official request of NARA but two others were made internally, without ever being asked to do so by an official document and nobody there from Twitter knew why they were made. For some reason Twitter was internally backing up that user account but the multiple versions span slightly different short stints of time around when he was banned and some of them have the bad tweets (and possibly DMs) missing, and some don’t. There’s a strong suspicion the “production” version of trumps account backup is missing some seriously incriminating poo poo that was internally deleted, but whomever did it made a backup of the account before doing so. Because getting those backups out of storage is apparently extremely hard for Twitter. And it was a surprise to them to even find them (after being forced to fully comply by the prior hearing). Anyone who knew the reason had already left the company after elon took over.

Elon musk absolutely tried to cozy up, too. Absolutely. Howell saw right through it all. Elon is a loving idiot and if one thing is obvious Twitter’s internal structure is burning down around them under him. Twitter lawyers knew they were making up bs to fulfill what Elon wanted done. It didn’t work.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

There are two types of people in this country, those that brush their teeth afford bail, and those that don’t.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Could someone clarify, just what is the role of the law clerk and why do they “pass notes to the judge”? I know nothing about courts. I almost got to testify in a medical hearing once as the physician on duty but the case was dropped. Is it normal for a law clerk to pass messages “hundreds of times a day?” What are the messages? I always end up wondering if the truth is somewhere in the middle, which got me imagining that like.. defense yells objection, Engeron goes silent for a minute looking around aimlessly, and then the law clerk passes a slip of paper under his elbow that says, “sustained” and then he replies to the court, “uh sustained!”

I doubt that’s happening though. Come on with that. If that is what Habba and Co are perceiving as happening.. they’re not lucid.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Wow, the defense’s case is going loving awesome for Trump.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Trump borrowed the money he needed for the Trump University judgement. I can’t remember how much it was (like several mil?. That’s a fricken loan and I guess it’s actually one of the lines in the NY AG’s case as he used his over-appraised properties as collateral to get it lol. He’s out of money. He took a bunch of money out of Trump org despite a court order saying not to. He will be bankrupt soon. His bet right now is surely to keep salaciously quietly moving money out of his businesses and gutting his properties so when they actually all go up for sale/receivership there’s nothing left and he still has cash to run for president. He’s hurting very, very badly.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I mean, I think she hates him. I wonder if being ruled by a jury an actual rqpist may have changed that but it’s hard to know. She really believed his talking points when they were in the White House. But that photo of him and her snapped at the funeral, getting into the car? She absolutely cannot stand him. No way anyone looks at another human that way otherwise.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

You don't fight the Trump world with a shouting match.

Her response will be in court.

You’re quite right. Without her shouting back, or even saying a peep, they can’t shout louder using their platforms and defame her further in the public eye. It is interesting that trump hasn’t actually “Truth’d” about this since it first came out, and I am guessing it’s because she didn’t bite for a big public yell down. She is handling it the best way possible and also the way they hate (in court) because they don’t win in court.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The X-man cometh posted:

How long is the appeal going to take? Another year?

Personally, his rap is usually that he will say he’s “thinking about doing something and…will let you know soon!” When he absolutely will not do it. If he wants to do something he resoundingly screams it. My guess is he cannot afford to appeal. He will post about “the decision to appeal” for a few days and then either quietly let it fall off the radar or come up with some bullshit about how it’s rigged anyways and so he won’t bother. He will never admit to not having the $90mil needed to appeal.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

How long does he have to appeal? Isn’t there a 30 day time limit or something like that?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So he only has one month to get the ~$400million for the appeal process? There’s no way he could liquidate truth social that fast. If a month goes by and he hasn’t appealed then..that’s that? That’s how this works?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Musk works out a deal with Trump wherein Musk loans Trump the $500mil and Trump repays him via the liquidation of Truth Social/DWAC stock, and then Trump returns to twitter. Wham bam.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Massive burns are awful. The skin is also the barrier to insensible losses, so depending on the loss of area we’re talking the patient’s burn ICU room is kept very warm. Insensible fluid losses can be difficult to replace and require fairly high IV fluid rates, and that alone can lead to severe edema of the burned areas. Sometimes escharotomies or compartment syndrome decompression surgeries are needed just because of the IV fluids given. The sheer amount of inflammation can lead to coagulopathies as the clotting factors all short circuit, kidney failure, etc. Ventilation management for inhalation injury is a challenge when airway edema or ARDS sets in. The needed IV fluids only makes all that worse. They are very hard patients to treat. I took care of a guy once who was working crew on a boat that suffered a massive explosion. He did survive his burn unit stay. It was maybe 20-30 days later when he was a lot more with it, we realized he also had severe PTSD. I mean, enter the room wrong or drop something outside or his pump starts beeping, and he’s screaming. That was probably the worst outcome effect tbh.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I worry the SC is going to hold that official acts are immune, private acts are not, and the test of private/public is open enough that when Jack Smith comes back and says, “ok all these acts were private” trumps lawyers can argue “no they were public, if you look at them this way,” setting off endless rounds of further rulings with appeals with counter rulings with counter appeals ad infinitum. It’s definitely one of the two outcomes Trump’s lawyers want. It seems more likely than a blanket “he’s immune” ruling.

I did personally get eh feeling from listening to the entire hearing that Alito and Thomas were the only ones that, even a little bit, agree with Trump’s position. Even Kavaghana had moments where he was asking questions about how to navigate presidential immunity and would be like, “oh not for this case, no way, but for any future questions on immunity..” everyone seemed extremely skeptical and put on by Trump’s lawyer. Trump’s lawyer also had an explanation for everything and my god was it obvious sometimes the explanations were entirely circular or factually dubious and they didn’t buy them for a second.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Trump truly believes he’s so important and well regarded that if he just says it, and enough people hear it, they’ll all totally believe it. Like he’s incapable of believing that anyone would think him a liar. That’s why he just constantly insists the same repetitive poo poo every day. It’s end stage narcissism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

When Trump took the stand in the E Jean Carrol case wasn’t he so hard to control that they asked 3 questions?