Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit: n/m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That was after getting yelled at by the judge for wanting to run his big fat mouth in front of the jury.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Probably not, the constitution actually says the president’s compensation may not be changed during his term

Now if a president ever had other sources of income they refused to relinquish upon entering office, then maybe we’d have something

It doesn’t change his compensation, just where his direct deposit goes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ynglaur posted:

You must be a lawyer. I say that with respect, fwiw.

Sir or madam you can't just throw around insults like that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Craig K posted:

after reaching punitive damages above $2,147,483,647, the integer limit overflows and the state of new york owes him $2.1 billion

I’d be ok with using a float and we can generously round down when necessary.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wyatt just wants to sell loud shirts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I, for one, will be fascinated to learn what kind of lawyer leaps at this opportunity after watching the last few weeks of Trump trial news.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is that grooming?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Judge Engorged

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Engoron announces that Trump is to be fined $1, before smirking and donning his MAGA cap.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ the Supreme Court ruling in 2025 that the president can in fact still refuse his federal paycheck if his wages are being garnished in some jurisdiction.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems likely someone needs to make a formal complaint to get a state organization to disbar someone. Her client isn’t going to complain formally (because that isn’t how he rolls, and because he wants to gently caress her) and lawyers going up against her aren’t going to complain about an opponent doing a terrible job. Maybe a judge or someone unrelated gets annoyed enough about egregiously wasted time or something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

small butter posted:

I read that if Trump is able to get a bonding company to pay, he'd have to put up only 3% and collateral. 3% is nothing, but how does collateral work in this case? Does he simply pledge "I will give you this building if I can't pay"?

Essentially yeah. He needs to persuade them that he is an acceptably low risk for them to be potentially on the hook for $355M. Spoiler alert: He is not an acceptably low risk.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What if the government seizes and sells the same property first for a different judgement?

Presumably the lender’s claim on the property gets first dibs, so maybe the same process except the government keeps the cash left over.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

See I would expect the government to get first dibs, they're the government. But the gubbmint can attach any property, whereas the private lender doesn't have a general writ just a single lien on individual property (presumably).

I hated secured transactions class

IDK, I'm just guessing. Seems like the government's overall goal is to get what money they can from the defendant, not from some rando foolish enough to lend him money.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkZhJJ8sPmw

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

drat that still slaps

Always fun to remember that they (and/or their contemporaries) weren't opting to play in a specific style, they were making up a new style as they went using their instruments in ways that weren't intended.

Same for Bettie Page I guess.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We regret to inform you that Donald Trump has wriggled out of yet another jam.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just one more week and I’ll have most of the money, I promise.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I will be able to touch the poop, rub it on my face, nipples, etc. and still get out in time to make money while someone else holds the bag.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Small White Dragon posted:

This has probably been discussed a bunch already, but.... is that actually legal?

You never know until you try! The Founders did not have Trump in mind when they wrote the rules.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When you're a star they let you do it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A potential juror is going to say they don't like Trump and the Trump Defense Team is going to call for a mistrial.

Meanwhile, Trump will be on the shitter posting about calling the juror candidate a mean nasty person and speculating about bad things that might happen to them.

withak fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 15, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Best-case scenario probably is half the jury lied to get in because they hate his guts and half the jury lied to get in because they are in love with him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
To be fair, staying awake during court proceedings is incredibly difficult.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think the MAGA team is sneaky enough to get a secret Trumpist on a jury. They are going to be unable to resist acting acting like an rear end in a top hat and the prosecution is going to see them coming a mile away. More likely there are people who may have voted for Trump but aren't hard-core Red Hats and are susceptible to peer pressure without instantly going all YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! TRUMP! *click*

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got to spend a week on a murder trial a few years ago, it was interesting. Luckily the guy was very obviously guilty AF so it wasn't too hard.

LPT: Don't cheat on your girlfriend if she is the type who might swing by the police station later to tell them stuff about your murders to get revenge.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also don’t suggest calling her from a jail phone (recorded) to make thinly-veiled threats while trying to get her to change her story.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I, for one, hope that Trump is enjoying every single minute he has to spend in a courtroom listening to no-name rando juror's talk poo poo about him while not being allowed to respond. Should be doing big beautiful things to his blood pressure.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's about 37.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has anyone asked the AI to whip up a photo of Trump wearing a ball gag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The IRS and what army?