Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Can they set this dude to 1.25x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that whole middle part is insane. like holy gently caress.

His confidence that nobody’s going to even try to really cramp him is well-founded, and his fans love it when he stunts on their enemies. It’s confident, mocking, blatant and seems so beyond the pale, but that’s been the story over and over already. He’s still got it!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol lincoln project was dumb as hell but the key part there is that only 93% of republicans voted for trump. If he hadn't alienated so many he would've won.

Also the actual numbers of his support are obfuscated by the amount of people who ceased identifying as republicans between 2016 and 2020 (who were largely offset by the newly activated voters). Likely these would be among the 10% of independents as well as the ~10% of lean-conservatives that biden picked up in 2020 compared to 2016 (Trump lost ~4% of lean-Rs in 2016 to 14% of lean-Rs in 2020)

as an aside, lol at that david sirota article, dude would like the world to know that he is not mad

Lincoln Project is packed to the gills with reactionary grifters who support everything Trump did except the rhetoric, Sirota is correct. They’re trying to sheepdog the GOP with a failed appeal to decency, which is ironic considering how many racist, rapey pieces of poo poo make up the org.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He's absolutely right of center, but nowhere near where the average Republican is today.

It’s a matter of discussing what color the buttons on the Titanic are, rather than any actual required navigation changes

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I’m going to bet Sirota has secured his place in history, my man’s got a big, successful movie under his belt, whereas Lincoln Project has a bunch of meme videos that were stale the day they released about how gay Trump is.

Just on the basis of work product there’s no basis of comparison.

Neither will be considered major figures but Sirota will not have chapters of books about this time describing what a scammer he and his org was and describing all the sexual assault that went on. Lincoln Project will be remembered as farce, at best.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I don’t think the Democrats have the constitutional ability (meaning the spine) to try a former president for treason. It’s just not in them, the fight has been trained out of anyone with any power in the party.

I can easily see the GOP doing it, but the Dems are far too cowed by capital.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Some of you just need the word Federal tacked on in front of Wallet Inspector to extend credulity to a level that is absurd and debasing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks

I’m a bit wary of this one because it seems like the co host you’re talking about is the Mueller She Wrote(?) podcaster and even at the time the hosts on there seemed like they were injecting hopium straight into their veins.

The Mueller She Wrote lady is a fed, incapable of accepting contrary evidence, a PPP loan scammer and a lovely boss who took all the money and paid her coworkers peanuts. Avoid at all costs.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/loans/mueller-she-wrote-4869517304

Also some bits from the lawsuit against her by her employee here:

https://twitter.com/fishontherun2/status/1554339615447740416?s=46&t=lkiepm_IU7Wv62cFOs9OxA

And just for catty fun:

https://twitter.com/buniculatv/status/1531432654922465282?s=46&t=lkiepm_IU7Wv62cFOs9OxA

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

You got a link to the actual lawsuit? Because I don’t think the twitter account of someone using it to promote onlyfans is a credible one.

Onlyfans is just another job and I think you’re weirder for pointing it out than they are for operating one.

Despite this, I saved you ten seconds on google:

https://unicourt.com/case/ca-sd-johnson-vs-gill-1058793

selec fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 30, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

Concerned with? Sure. Basing your vote on? Only if you understand the issues and how they do or do not relate for whom you cast your vote. Everything sounds reasonable if you boil it down to to a euphemistic platitude.

It feels like if a party really wanted to win then they’d do some work to get gas prices and the like under control outside of the managerial processes they currently utilize then.

If people complain that both parties are the same what they’re saying is they see no correlation between which party is in charge and how lovely their particular lives are. That’s an incredibly valid and in many ways more insightful critique of the system than a comfortable middle class person of equal political knowledge could deliver.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I think the most likely outcome is Trump suffers no actual consequences that look like consequences to the people who want him to see justice. That’s just how it goes for the rich in America. We don’t put you in jail if you’re a child molester named DuPont, a scammer named Musk, or a [long list of things] named Trump.

If you do that you undermine the essential promise all wealthy people believe about America, a promise we keep: money talks. If you break that promise, no matter how egregious the offense, what can they even believe in? They know all the American Dream stuff is a load of bullshit fed to Customers, but they know better than that.

If you make Trump face consequences you tell the people who are in charge that America is a lie.

The silver lining is a lot of people becoming disenchanted and turning to the obvious leftist answers for why this has happened. Be ready to talk your MSNBC-loving parents and loved ones through this difficult time, you have a responsibility to the future.

“The justice system ultimately is about protecting property, and the US government is public property, and thus the least valuable kind in a capitalist society. You trespassing at Mar A Lago would have much more serious, life-altering consequences for you than Trump will ever face for everything he has done. That’s the system working as intended.”

selec fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 17, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

"oh gently caress our son is so cringe"

There is nothing more cringe than a liberal who still thinks the justice system is just

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I just don’t see how a guy who used to work in a court that was under threat of military invasion if it ever tried to prosecute a U.S. service member has credibility to say they can prosecute a former president.

Like my man you spent many years laboring under an explicit understanding that fair and equal justice was off the table at the threat of violence from your employer. And you are here to prosecute a rich guy? In this economy?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

mdemone posted:

Well he was also an AUSA before that, and the head of DOJ Public Integrity. Dude has got a hell of a résumé.

For some values of “hell of a” sure. I am not impressed, but I’ve always felt prosecutors in the US are playing tee ball and pretending it’s the big leagues. Prosecuting rich people for crimes that didn’t victimize the rich is where you can impress me, and that’s a startlingly small roster.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Oracle posted:

The most reason for hope is that the establishment never considered Trump one of them and only tolerated him because he won and they could ride his coattails. Unfortunately he was not controllable and the lunatics took over. Now that he’s stopped winning it feels like his fall into irrelevance is inevitable. Whether that results in prison time before his Elvisesque death is up to chance.

It’s really not up to chance. You’re not an outsider if they give you a network TV show and you succeed like crazy with it, and then you become president. There are no good rich people, which means Trump is in fact, “one of them”. He is petulant about doing the things they expect of a guy in that position, but it doesn’t change his essentially untouchable class position. They’re not gonna throw a rich guy into jail, and they’re absolutely not gonna throw a former president into jail. We are not that kind of country, we invade or dominate that kind of country: we see truly, functional equal justice as a third-world characteristic, at best.

He’s gonna die fat and happy in bed. Losing his foundation is like losing a really advantageous contract for him, it sucks, but it’s not like a deep, personality-defining thing for him. That was one more thing the lawyers set up for him for money reasons, one more structure he’s only kinda familiar with but occupies, I’m reckoning, the same mental space as a tax break. A privilege he feels he’s owed but not one that makes or breaks his idea of himself.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I think the psychological effect of Trump lurking will be around until he dies, or is placed under house arrest during a coup. He will still loom, and have a dedicated base of mujahadeen who won’t stop posting, and his words will be repeated as they are now, endlessly and analyzed endlessly on any news outlet that is for-profit, so all of them.

This feeling will probably never go away.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I’m not astonished to find out there are former federal prosecutors so stupid or so beholden to power or both they think having secret service protection is a get out of jail free card. Like, so stupid you got it exactly backwards: class position ended up with him having the special boy prize, which comes with free secret service detail. We don’t jail the ruling class, at least not in any meaningful way, which is why he’d never go to jail.

My man figured out the correct answer to the problem, but when asked to show his work it was just dogshit, not even numbers, just scribbles and a little doodle of a king’s crown.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I don't have the link handy but a few years ago I read a study that indicated pro wrestling fans are/were the most progressive fanbase of any major sport. To no one's surprise, golf was by far the chuddiest. I was pretty surprised and it made me reevaluate a lot of the assumptions I make about wrestling fans being dumb racist hicks or whatever. Turns out they are the most tolerant and cool fanbase out there.

There’s an old joke that goes something like “welcome to leftist twitter, here’s your Bernie shirt, and for some reason your subscription to a wrestling PPV”

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

A competent narcissist would write a book neatly outlining their own personal grievances and how they align with the imagined grievances of their fellow fascists. Bonus points if they can identify a specific minority that is the cause of all of this trouble.

But enough about Martin Luther :catholic:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Judge Engoron just announced that he decided to fine Trump $5,000, but won't hold him in contempt for violating the gag order.

Real “in its majestic equality” moment here. This might as well be nothing.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Five grand was what it cost me and my wife to spend a couple weeks in Spain back in 2010. Ten grand is what a member of (I think) Phish offered a local band to give up their name so he could use it for a side project—they took the money and renamed themselves Ten Grand. Still less than I pay on my mortgage every year, and functionally meaningless to Trump. Maybe after he sends some death threats they’ll charge him what my knee surgery ran me.

But again, in its majestic equality etc etc

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Retro42 posted:

Been mentioned before but I think Trump has FAR less COH than people think. His personal interest in this trial in particular is because it's his revenue stream yeah, but also if all his companies die all the bills are due and THAT isn't something he can handle I think. I don't know NY law but I'm assuming outstanding debt gets priority when his companies are dismantled.

He’s able to raise funds at a pace that far outruns the sanctions he’s been given. I think this is wishful accounting on your part.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The people who made Disco Elysium would probably think the idea of making a game like that about Trump is completely missing the point of a game like that.

You don’t make it about Trump or the trial. You gotta abstract, and find the story people would connect with. You make the game about a working class woman in Chicago with a demented landlord, a landlord who has only gotten more insane as she works for a bipolar pop star and then a failed reactionary politician. You never meet the landlord in the game, but every weird complication in your life is made doubly difficult by the constant lurking of slimy journalists, political operatives, schizo internet types and the like showing up in your day to day because of things that don’t affect your life politically, but do gently caress up your attempt to just live in a society. The game is about the ripples of big things making small things happen, and trying to piece together what the big things could’ve even been, if you even care to do so.

Making a Disco Elysium game about this kind of trial specifically is like making a Call of Duty game that claims to represent the invasion of Grenada. Wrong tool for the job.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Haley is the only one I can think of who managed to work at a high level in the Trump admin and not get brought low due to it.

She’s fighting for scraps on a stage with a guy who is suicide bombing the front runner, an anti-charismatic torture freak and the world’s most annoying try-hard Trump dickrider, and won’t win anything for it. She’s a loser too.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Cimber posted:

She might be the VP nominee.

This feels less realistic than Biden kicking it and somehow Bernie becomes the ‘24 Dem nominee

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Trazz posted:

You really don't have to squint, it's pretty obvious that it's her

Plus, who else would have the means, motive, and opportunity to do what she did, as well as the knowledge of where the DNC and RNC headquarters were located?

To your second point, literally any American with a Lowe’s card and google maps access?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Trazz posted:

Then how am I able to identify that person as MTG?

Goon Face Blindness is in the DSM by now, for sure.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Contempt is very much a last resort, not a first resort. The power to arbitrarily jail someone indefinitely is one that should be exercised very rarely and very carefully, even if you hate the target and feel like they don't deserve due process.

*Terms and conditions may vary, confirm with your lawyer if being white and wealthy is right for you before attempting contempt. Do not use contempt if you are currently suffering from any of the following conditions: public defender, own or rent only a single home, charged in any court of the land but have no IMDB page, parents cannot trace lineage back to Mayflower, you’re black, you’re Latino, you’re anything not white as hell honestly, please check the 2024 manual for what white is, notice that whiteness alone may not qualify you for using contempt; please check with your legal representative on if the judge has had lunch yet, do not use contempt if you have previously been identified as poor

selec
Sep 6, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

So you are saying when Alex Jones spends millions of dollars on coke and luxury hotels, that is actually approved by the caretaker?

That cancer fundraising literally proves that the banks do not expect Alex Jones to have to ever pay. Otherwise the victims would be offered infinite cheap credit.

Yeah, if Jones is a guaranteed payout seems like easy money to put up a loan for the treatment. So what’s the holdup, are bankers dumb or do they know something we don’t?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

“My enemies are in power, this is the worst thing that could’ve happened to them” feels like the most bitter, undrinkable Victory Wine ever, and only makes sense if you see Trump as the disease and not just an ugly symptom and omen of what’s to come.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

A video of Willis came out that, if the allegations are true, would make her an enormous hypocrite, but I don’t think there’s new news.

https://x.com/simonateba/status/1748721272966480114?s=20

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Randalor posted:

Honestly, some of the expenses that the accusors say show they're in a relationship just don't make sense, like booking two rooms at a hotel.

It’s also not what I’d call extremely convincing evidence that they weren’t. That’s basic “the expenses system will flag if we sent two people but only got one room” level opsec if they were carrying on.

If this does end up blowing the case, though…woof!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do y'all know how the burden of proof works?

In court, sure, but we’re just shooting the poo poo here.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

"Oh so you like the rule of law? Fuckin' cop loving boot licker!"

I mean it's a hell of a concept, I'd love to see it in practice to be able to make any judgments about if it's all it's cracked up to be though.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So he’s just a relatively regular inherited wealth rich person.
To wit:

https://x.com/Merman_Melville/status/1088527693757349888?s=20

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Money Hoarding would be in the DSM in a just world.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

There’s this thing called the Epstein Ward, a magical symbol you can etch upon any door or container that makes feds unable to search it. Trump has access to these dark secrets.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

jfc lol. Literally one of the most important cases in the country and your ego can’t let you step aside and you just walk around with shoe-drop fever hoping this never comes out. Ambition is a mental illness I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Anybody got a non-paywalled link. I think the Post was the first to get the scoop so I don't see it covered anywhere else.

Archive.ph is your friend! https://archive.ph/XZTk2