Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There is popular vote compact of states. That’s actually pretty close to getting the needed count I think.

By numbers yea, but they’ve run out of states that would gain power and need to sign up some states that would lose it, which is a way bigger lift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is also an argument that states have broad powers to select and bind electors by any rules they see fit, so yeah, if it ever reaches the point where it might affect things it’s going to court for a very long time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn’t that a standard Trump strategy he’s tried in the past? Publicly attack the judge, then claim that they can’t possibly be impartial after that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sidney Powell looks like Harrison Ford has been asking her why she won’t flip a turtle over for the last 45 minutes.

:goonsay: Deckard wasn’t in that scene, and when he administers the VK to Rachel he doesn’t ask the turtle question (although it was a very long session and if that was part of the standard question set it may have happened offscreen)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gyges posted:

Gonna be one hell of an episode of Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Bounty hunted like a dog

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Warren Burger… mmm… burger… :dudsmile:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xiahou Dun posted:

FASCHISTS

loving lol that baby Hitler is is using the German spelling.

Way more likely that that was a typo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Is this a "two Georgia state reps have filed a bill" story or an actual story? I tried to check but paywall.

quote:

We’ve seen that scowl a million times, but never before in this context: Donald Trump, the “strawberry blond” former president, was booked, fingerprinted, and mug shot in Georgia Thursday evening—the 45th president now inmate no. P01135809. “It is not a comfortable feeling,” he told Fox News Digital afterward. But once again, his Republican allies are rallying to his defense—seeking not only to run political interference for him, but also remove Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis from office, potentially undermining the prosecution entirely.

There was the usual framing by the MAGA crowd of Trump as some kind of martyr, which his grim expression in the booking photo was presumably meant to convey: “God Bless President Trump!” wrote Congressman Jim Jordan, who announced a probe earlier in the day into Willis over the indictment. “The circumstances surrounding your actions raise serious concerns about whether they are politically motivated,” the House Judiciary Committee chair wrote in a letter to Willis.

But more concerning than Jordan’s gambit is a play on the state-level by Georgia Republicans to remove Willis to get Trump’s case thrown out: In a Facebook post earlier this week, State Senator Clint Dixon accused the DA of prosecuting the ex-president to become “some sort of leftist celebrity,” and said he would call on a newly-formed committee of political appointees to “take action” against her. That commission, approved by Republican Governor Brian Kemp in May, was ostensibly created to make it easier to oust progressive, reform-minded DAs. “I am not gonna stand idly by as rogue or incompetent prosecutors refuse to uphold the law,” the governor said ahead of the law’s signing. In this case, of course, Dixon and the Republicans are seeking to use the law to target Willis not for any reform efforts, but explicitly because she brought charges against Trump and his allies. In his Facebook post, Dixon acknowledged the “reality” of the Trump indictment in Georgia “is one of the reasons we passed a law."

“There’s a one-hundred percent chance that’s going to happen,” as Clark Cunningham, a professor of law at Georgia State University, told Rachel Maddow on MSNBC Thursday night.

It’s unclear what will come of the effort. The law allowing the Prosecuting Attorneys Statewide Qualifications Commission to remove elected district attorneys from office, which takes effect in October, is currently being challenged in court; the Public Rights Project, which is part of the lawsuit, filed a preliminary injunction Thursday in an effort to stop the commission from initiating any removal proceedings while the law is under litigation. “The original reasoning for the commission was to go after DAs who supposedly weren’t prosecuting enough,” Jill Habig, the group’s executive director, told the Intercept. “It’s not only about not prosecuting enough, it’s also about prosecuting too much if the defendant is the wrong one from the perspective of the partisan officials who are creating and staffing this commission.” But should the commission stand—and heed Republican calls to investigate Willis—it is possible they could remove her before Trump, Rudy Giuliani, and their fellow co-defendants have to go to trial.

That wouldn’t eliminate all of the 2024 GOP frontrunner’s legal troubles, of course—the Georgia racketeering case represents only 13 of the 91 felony charges he’s been hit with since April. But it could at least undermine what is perhaps the most perilous case against him: Unlike in the federal cases brought by Jack Smith, a conviction in Georgia would not be subject to presidential or gubernatorial pardon—and the RICO charges in the state mean he’d almost certainly face jail time if found guilty. To hobble that prosecution would be an extraordinary and outrageous move. But these are desperate times for Trump—and it has his allies, in Georgia and beyond, reaching for desperate measures. “We’re not going to keep putting up with this,” Sarah Palin said on Newsmax Thursday night, seemingly calling for “civil war” after Trump’s surrender. “We do need to rise up and take our country back.”

I think you have to be more familiar with GA law than random internet assholes like me to make an educated guess as to whether this will matter, but it doesn't sound like nothing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

Apparently the panel is something different, I can't keep this poo poo straight

The panel is indeed something different. It's an independent body that was stood up by a law (which Kemp did sign) and was intended to function as a leash to tug if prosecutors got so woke as to fail to prosecute as much as the Republicans had hoped. It was not intended to force a prosecutor to stop prosecuting because they're prosecuting too much, or prosecuting someone Republicans don't want prosecuted. It starts up in October, but like Kemp says, it's already going to court

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wrong geographic origin, now it’s just sparkling intimidation

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
brb, pitching sitcom

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Artificial Kid posted:

Let’s not dignify Trump by giving demagoguery his name.

It's a bit late for that, people were saying trumpism in 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Legality aside, removing Trump from the ballot by fiat would be an incredibly dumb political move

What if we removed him by due process?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've never possessed the franchise. They have closed off every legal route to my preferred candidate, Mickey Mouse, becoming president

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No one would be prevented from casting a vote. Hell, no one would be prevented from casting a write-in vote for Trump. He'd be that much less likely to win because a significant fraction of people who would have checked the box won't bother with the extra effort of a write-in*, but none of this is disenfranchisement

*unless you're Lisa Murkowski, apparently

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On the other hand, if he's not allowed to serve, that means even if he wins the election his term cannot begin and he will not have a remainder of a term for the VP to assume. It may mean that any electoral votes cast for that candidate would be void and a different candidate would necessarily win

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BigglesSWE posted:

What spicy nickname for Cannon can we expect tonight I wonder.

Judge “Loose” Cannon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At least he gave us the movie version of The Hunt For Red October

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gyges posted:

Lets not forget that most large banks were/are in the position of already being dumb enough to loan Trump millions of dollars, and thus are in the odd position where big boy business accounting indicates that giving him even more money is the best way to get some money back. If you can find a way to owe the money guys enough, they'll jump through nearly as many hoops to keep your business as if you were actually worth hundreds of millions.

"If you owe the bank a hundred dollars, you have a problem. If you owe the bank a hundred million dollars, the bank has a problem"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mutata posted:

If I was ever gonna root for the Streisand Effect to take off, it would be now.

“The music formerly known as jizz”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BiggerBoat posted:

And why the gently caress does Trump want a jury trial? I thought he was bitching that he couldn't get a fair trial in NYC, DC, Fulton County or anywhere except West Memphis, Arkansas.

It's still 12 chances to get a diehard chud in who votes not guilty* regardless of the evidence and causes a mistrial

*I know it's a civil suit and so does he and so does the juror. He still votes "not guilty"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was Trump literally tweeting from the courtroom? Like, the judge is speechifying about important case business and he's just tap tap tapping under the table like he's bored in standup?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More practically, it means the DOJ and all the state DOJs have veto power over presidential campaigns, which is not a good direction to go in

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trump right now asking anyone standing near by what “turbulent” means

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

For the million true bad things that can be said about Trump he’s never been against the vaccine, has he? He just takes all the credit for it.

He may never have specifically said "do not get the vaccine" but he also pushed all the quack poo poo like ivermectin, refused to mask and ordered others not to mask, and said covid wasn't a big deal to begin with so he doesn't get net points in his favor for not being antivaxx

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Donald a Trump should definitely flip on himself

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Imagining an x-men style magneto prison that no tweet can penetrate

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Off to shoot someone on fifth avenue before losing his chance forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Devor posted:

Twitter threads are not available to anyone who isn't logged into Twitter (it's just a link to one post), so if there's anything important you care to share, this link is effectively a blackhole. The selected tweets you included are visible, though.

You can always try dumping a twitter link into ThreadReader or similar tools, if it's a popular salient thread it will usually be able to pull it up

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1718998982674788622.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can you use an insanity defense in a civil suit? Asking for a friend

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Accountants right out of central casting are running up with tears in their eyes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blind Rasputin posted:

Could someone clarify, just what is the role of the law clerk and why do they “pass notes to the judge”? I know nothing about courts. I almost got to testify in a medical hearing once as the physician on duty but the case was dropped. Is it normal for a law clerk to pass messages “hundreds of times a day?” What are the messages? I always end up wondering if the truth is somewhere in the middle, which got me imagining that like.. defense yells objection, Engeron goes silent for a minute looking around aimlessly, and then the law clerk passes a slip of paper under his elbow that says, “sustained” and then he replies to the court, “uh sustained!”

I doubt that’s happening though. Come on with that. If that is what Habba and Co are perceiving as happening.. they’re not lucid.

In my extremely basic understanding, the clerk is sort of the judge's secretary and/or executive assistant. If the judge needs to know something that requires significant research, they can pass it off to the clerk without interrupting their judging (and eliminate the multi-minute silence while everyone is held up). They can also do this ahead of time so there's no delay at all. If the judge gives a verbal order, the clerk will write and publish the boilerplate legalese that makes it official. The clerk also manages all the piles of paper involved in a case so the judge doesn't have to have all that up on their bench doing it themselves. They pass notes because most court proceedings involve a third party talking nonstop

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 3, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

Uhh, if they haven't revealed it yet then they never will, since that committee is dead and gone.

It could be reconstituted the next time the Democrats have control of the House. I don't know what progress it could make on the Jan 6 investigation since that would be 2025 at the earliest, but if the existing evidence hasn't been outright destroyed it could be released

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We're finally going to get a proper successor to "is this your handwriting?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edward Mass posted:

He's got an indoor voice? :psypop:

He probably has some base level of awareness that he should avoid extremely cut-and-dried contempt of court even when he feels he's totally in the right to keep talking. Same as a middle schooler realizing they're a few smart remarks away from detention

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wouldn’t want the language to get too weirded

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Really curious how that would work practically with no military allies and no loyalty from the secret service

We might have actually gotten a Trump frogmarch video

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is “the president is not an officer” one of those legal shortcuts like “corporations are people” where allowing it is easier than updating all the laws to say “person or corporation” or “all officers except the president”?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Looks like somebody didn’t see a certain clip from The Wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

InsertPotPun posted:

hey i was told that the disolving of trump's company was inevitable and could not be stopped even during appeal and...that was wrong. so...were you guys wrong or did the rules shift?

cause i was punished for saying such "nonsense" as "trump will just put punishments on hold forever" so...

What made you believe that it has been stopped, just now?