Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

projecthalaxy posted:

Can someone tell me if the truly bizarre situation of the President being taken to trial with a public defender is possible or is that not a thing for federal cases? The only experience I have is with county level "here is your PD, they will literally never talk to you, say guilty and pay the fine [gavel]" which is I know very different than federal espionage court

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that a PD is only going to step in if someone can’t afford an attorney. They won’t be granted if someone just doesn’t want to hire one, or if (and this would be unprecedented I’m sure) they can’t find one who will take the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know but it seems possible, bizarrely.

That’s what would happen if he were just a normal person, right?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

A normal person this wouldn't happen because you'd either have a pd appointed or you'd hire someone.

But if a normal person refused to hire a lawyer and made too much money for a PD they would just be detained until they hired a lawyer, right?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ynglaur posted:

They're only true believers until consequences seem imminent. That's why his former lawyers keep bailing. "Surely I will be the one to defend Trump successfully!", they crow. Then their client does something which breaches attorney-client privilege and which would land them in federal prison for decades. Then they nope out.

Edit: Sounds like Trump better call Saul.

There’s also the very real possibility that the mob will turn on a lawyer who failed to get Trump acquitted and it could be a legitimate danger to their safety.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ryde posted:

LOL, this loving lawyer.

I've seen multiple lawyers who are loath to project *any* sense of certainty around the law call this a strong case. At least one has said its the strongest case they've seen in their career, bar none.

I mean the DOJ only brings charges when they’re very, very sure they’ll get a conviction. Probably add a dozen or so “very”s for bringing charges against a former President.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ryde posted:

This would be the maximum hilarity scenario. Imagine if they found *more* documents.

Doesn’t it seem very improbable that there aren’t more documents?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fuschia tude posted:

The next R governor can, though. Even if Kemp did define himself in opposition to Trump's election scheme, and hence Trump (at least in Trump's mind), he couldn't run next cycle due to term limits anyway.

In GA the governor cannot pardon, and the board that can can only do it after a sentence is served.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

cr0y posted:

In a 5-4 (Georgia) decision...

I mean they could amend their constitution to do it but holy political suicide in a purple state.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think he can deny he had the boxes at this point, so isn't the legal battle more about if he was allowed to have them / what he was allowed to do with them?

Wasn’t he posting pictures claiming it was the feds setting up the boxes to frame him at one point or was that a fever dream?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

greatBigJerk posted:

I wonder if they didn't want to set conditions because Trump will inevitably say and do dumb poo poo that helps their case.

That’s my read. They’re just handing him rope.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

that's because typically federal defendants are hosed,

To put this in perspective, if the DOJ brings charges, 90% of the time the defendant pleads guilty. When they don’t, 8% of the time charges are dropped (unthinkable here.) In the 2% of cases that go to trial, 83% of the time there is a conviction.

So yeah, about 92% of the time if the DOJ brings charges, either there’s a guilty plea or conviction at trial. They do not mess around.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Part of the reason is that the DOJ generally only brings slam dunk cases. It's not that they are incredibly aggressive.

That’s what I meant by them not messing around. If they aren’t very, very sure of a conviction they don’t bring charges. Insert another dozen “very”s for bringing charges against someone as high profile as Trump.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Levitate posted:

I think they very clearly have all the evidence and facts they need to show Trump is guilty of what he's being accused of. Even from just what's public record it seems incredibly clear there's no legitimate argument that he didn't break these laws.

The trick is going to be finding a jury that won't gently caress things up because they don't want to believe what laws are or feel Trump himself shouldn't be held to these laws.

That selection process is going to be a poo poo-show.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Travic posted:

Oh. :smith: The case is still dead though. I guess I was just hoping there was some way of salvaging this.

What? I’m not sure how that could be the conclusion you draw from this.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Is the statement an actual accusation though? It seems to tread the line by saying “does anyone think it’s anyone other…” where yes it’s clear what is being implicated but does that rise to the level of libel?

Edit: it’s irrelevant because Biden wouldn’t sue anyway but I was just curious if this is one of those things where phrasing it that way changes the status.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you’re a witness then you’re required.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm not sure Trump needs further self-incrimination beyond what he does as a normal course of his business. But his lawyers are really freakin good at stalling, and "inviting" him to appear before then GJ would I'd think give him yet another opportunity to delay things further as he fights and appeals it up the chain.

Smith seems to really know what he’s doing and I trust that whatever they sent Trump, which we should definitely stop assuming was accurately represented by Trump in his post, wasn’t a mistake. I’m holding off on forming any other sort of opinion until we at least get confirmation from someone else as to what he actually received.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I would bet these indictments serve as motivation for any other fake electors to scramble for any immunity deal they can get.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Could the invitation have been a strategic thing where, even though they knew he wouldn’t go, the invite took away a talking point about the GJ being some secret thing that got together to mail him without a chance to defend himself? We all know it’s normal for a GJ to not hear testimony from a potential defendant but most people don’t, and given the nature of this case a good bit of it is being influenced by public opinion.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The witness tampering gives me the most hope. You can muddy the water about a lot of the other things but witness tampering is something that seems more direct and understandable.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fart Amplifier posted:

You can muddy the waters about anything you want. The stolen documents case is an obvious undeniable objective crime and it's still muddied.

Yes but I think the tampering (and also the documents) case is something that is more easily understandable to most people.

That isn’t to say he shouldn’t get every charge he’s facing. They’re all important. But I think if they have solid evidence of tampering it’s going to hurt him more than the rest because people can grok that better than interference in an electoral process that a lot of people don’t understand in the first place.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Listen, how is Trump supposed to coordinate an effective legal defense against the big boogyman Biden if he's not even allowed to talk to the witnesses?!? This whole thing is a sham. Witness tampering? That's just his communication style, and it was carried out by underlings who had no direct contact with Trump anyway.

If the witnesses felt threatened it's their fault for lying to Congress about these crimes trump didn't do

That’s where like 30% of people are at for sure. I do believe that more people are swayable (at least to stay home) than most people do though. Maybe I’m a hopeless optimist.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I mean I agree that in the vastness of the universe I think there is other life, but I don’t think that means they’ve ever been here.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m just a little old atheist, but isn’t that intensely sacrilegious? Made in god’s image, sent his own son down to take our sins, big cornerstones of the whole system, yadda yadda?

Jesus these clowns don’t believe in anything, do they.

Also atheist but from what I’ve gathered from my religious friends nothing in their religion precludes alien life, or even intelligent alien life.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Crows Turn Off posted:

What are the actual punishments/consequences for Trump being indicted so far?

By design you aren’t supposed to get punished until you’re found guilty.

When you’re rich and can make or aren’t asked to make bail then it actually works that way. When you’re poor not so much.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Literally everyone knows Trump did crimes.

About 30% of America just thinks his crimes were perfect actually, the best crimes ever

Yeah I agree 30% are unreachable. He won’t win with 30% though, and I think (again maybe naively) that witness intimidation is so easy to understand that a few of the other percentage he needs are going to decide he isn’t worth voting for anymore.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

neurobasalmedium posted:

Let's hope they haven't because finding intelligent alien life would increase the chance that life on Earth has not yet encountered the Great Filter. Humanity is either first, fortunate, or hosed. If we're not first, then the probability of "hosed" goes up.

Or c really is a hard cap, and the universe could well be teeming with life that’ll never be able to interact in any meaningful way.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There was a poll out yesterday that showed that 50% of Republicans don't even believe there ever were classified documents at Mar-a-Lago (despite Trump repeatedly admitting it and saying he was allowed to have them).

I'm guessing it is a combination the average American not knowing anything and partisan belief in Trump. Around 25% of people aren't sure if it was Biden or Trump who is being charged for taking classified documents to Mar-a-Lago.

I have to remind myself sometimes that a lot of people just do not pay any attention to politics. I’m married to one of them. She can’t name the vice president (who is from our state.) She can’t name the governor. I doubt she has any idea about the documents or even indictments. It just doesn’t register on her radar.

Her family is all MAGA so I consider this to be a positive given the most likely alternative. And I talk about politics enough on the internet it’s nice to know I won’t have to at home.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Civilized Fishbot posted:

What does it mean for an indictment to last a long time/why would the prosecutors want that? Wouldn't you want to quickly move on to the trial, and from there to sentencing?

It’s a figure of speech. He means it is extremely strong. It’s a clumsy metaphor.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Was it ever determined if a president can pardon themselves?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I would bet at least even money that it’s Stone. The only reason I wouldn’t think it’s stone is #6 doesn’t seem involved in the worst of it and Stone probably would be.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

evilweasel posted:

yeah, there is no mechanism for the rest of the supreme court to force someone to sit a case out

this actually has come up in the past, when one justice was so loving senile that the rest of the judges made a pact never to let him be the deciding vote on anything (this was back before the court was significantly polarized) because they couldn't actually force him to stop hearing cases

That’s kind of what they can do. Tell Thomas “recuse or X number of us have agreed to decide against you no matter what.” I think you could get two conservative justices to sign on to that in this situation.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Shooting Blanks posted:

If he's pardoned, it will be posthumous by the next Republican POTUS, and only if it's recent enough that Trump still has some level of popular support. If Trump is still alive and not running in 2028, it will be a common campaign promise among Republicans running in that election - whether or not it comes to fruition is a different question.

He 100% will not be jailed at any point - jail is reserved for pretrial detainees, and people serving sentences <1 year. Whether he ends up in prison is an open question, I'd put it at 50-50 on whether he goes to prison or gets some kind of a plea deal that keeps him on house arrest, but is prevented from running for office. I'm not sure how that would work (cannot leave the state for any reason - including running for office? without rallies I don't see him being successful), but I can see it happening.

I don’t think a plea deal could actually bar him from office.

I think he ends up convicted in at least the documents case and probably the Jan 6 case but I think they do house arrest due to the nightmare security concerns surrounding imprisoning him.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BiggerBoat posted:

If I heard this right, Trump's lawyers want to move the trial to West Virginia to ensure a fair and unbiased trial because they can never get a fair shake in DC.

WEST

VIRGINIA

2020:

Trump easily carried West Virginia on Election Day by 38.9 points, down from 42.1 points in 2016. Prior to the election, all 16 news organizations declared West Virginia a safe red state.

With 68.62% of its vote, this would prove to be Trump’s second strongest state in 2020, only behind Wyoming, and overall would be the largest share of the vote won by any presidential candidate in West Virginia.

2016:

Donald Trump won West Virginia with 68.5% of the vote, his largest share of the vote in any state. Hillary Clinton received just over a quarter of the vote, with 26.4%. Trump's performance in the state made it his strongest state in the 2016 election by total vote share.

Not any geographically closer states like NC, VA, PAor OH. Surely, we can receive a fair and impartial trial in The Meth Capital of the World, WV?

So like I said upthread, to your average Republican, any fair and impartial trial must consist of an entire jury box wearing red MAGA hats, holding bibles and carrying concealed firearms.
[/quote]

There’s absolutely no precedent for something like that, right?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I knew you could motion to move to another court but I had no idea you could push for a whole different state. Wild.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nitrousoxide posted:

SCOTUS is always technically a wildcard since they decide their own limits of their jurisdiction and the only out for anyone else is just refusing to abide by their rulings. So they could theoretically decide that, yes the SCOTUS does have primacy over state supreme courts and furthermore gently caress you.

I think there is approximately a 0% chance of that happening and a further 0% chance of Georgia abiding by it if they did.

The crises would be if, say, GA convicted him and then Florida (or whatever state) refused to extradite.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Obviously we have to Typhoid Mary his rear end onto an island. It's the only way.

That didn’t work out so well last time but I guess as long as we don’t use St. Helena…

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

darkspider42 posted:

New thread title "I feel special to be in such a elite group (of co-defendants)!"

Fixed

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Oracle posted:

Logs, mostly. They'll record IP address, time, device type (including OS) or browser type (if connecting that way) and in PMs I would not be surprised if he did the old man thing and signed his messages so they'd know it was him.

Watch him have been using face unlock on the device he was tweeting from.

Edit: but his defense doesn’t seem to be the Shaggy “wasn’t me” thing, more “that’s not illegal.” So I don’t even know if they’ll bother to put up the defense that he didn’t send the totally not illegal anyway DMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
He’s got to be 275