Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Well, I'd like to see ol' Donny Trump wiggle his way out of THIS jam!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/averycutedog/status/1347639707576881152

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtRSal1Zaas

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Keisari posted:

So, what's the chance of Trump getting indicted? Are there any sites like electionbettingodds that show some kind of live "market"? I'm very curious. I had thought it was only a pipe-dream but all of this ramping up makes me think that it might be a "double digit percentage" chance.

There's a PredictIt market for this:

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7774/Will-Donald-Trump-be-indicted-by-Sept-1

B B
Dec 1, 2005

mdemone posted:

God loving damnit

This 6-3 ruling is gonna be amazing. At least Joe and the Democrats will be able to console themselves with the fact that they resisted the urge to politicize politicize the court maybe forever in a way that's not healthy, though.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

cr0y posted:

This is Trump's last shot in this life and everyone knows it.

Pick the cause for lack of him being an issue in 2028, your choice:

Death
Bankruptcy
Found a better grift
Irrelevance
Prison

Finishing out his second term after beating a guy who can't remember when his own son died

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Did this happen?

This was included as a detail in the special counsel's report into Joe Biden's unauthorized removal, retention, and disclosure of classified documents:

https://www.justice.gov/storage/report-from-special-counsel-robert-k-hur-february-2024.pdf

Here is how Merrick Garland, who was appointed by Joe Biden, described the special counsel:

Merrick Garland posted:

Mr. Hur has a long and distinguished career as a prosecutor. In 2003, he joined the Department's Criminal Division, where he worked on counterterrorism, corporate fraud, and appellate matters. From 2007 until 2014, Mr. Hur served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland, where he prosecuted matters ranging from violent crime to financial fraud. In 2017, Mr. Hur rejoined the Department as the Principal Associate Deputy Attorney General. In 2018, he was nominated and confirmed to serve as the U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland. As U.S. Attorney, he supervised some of the Department's more important national security, public corruption, and other high-profile matters.

I am personally inclined to believe that the person who was appointed by Merrick Garland, who was appointed by Joe Biden, is telling the truth. Joe Biden's memory issues are well documented on camera in a variety of public appearances. 86% of Americans believe that Biden is too old to be president, so those who deny his memory issues are in the minority.

Yeah, it happened.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

Wasn't that whole thing him getting pissed off at the question?

The press conference where he mixed up the presidents of Egypt and Mexico is where he got pissed off at the question. This was during the same week that he referred to François Mitterrand, who died in 1996, as the current president of France, and also mixed up Helmut Kohl with Angela Merkel. These are all very natural mix-ups for an 81-year-old to make. It's just a stutter.

Anyway, there's a recording of the conversation with Hur, but his aides are worried about the "fallout" of releasing the transcript or recording, which is a very natural reaction of the supporters of a guy who most definitely remembers when his son died.

B B fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 1, 2024

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Lemming posted:

This claim is actually incredible weak when you look at it in context:

The other examples, which are the only ones that include a direct quote, are pretty clearly him thinking out loud. Stuff like "was I VP in 2009" - yeah, you'd need to think about it for a minute, because he was, but not at the start of the year.

It's telling that such a bombshell accusation - not that he took a second to confirm when something happened, but he actually forgot and needed to be reminded - was just alluded to, without any actual quote

Obviously his brain is leaking out of his ears. Age is affecting him greatly, you don't need to cherry pick bad faith attacks, it just makes your criticisms look weaker. Just link a video of him talking today and a video of him talking in 2008 and it's obvious. You don't have to hand it to any Republicans just because they're saying bad things about a guy who sucks

It looks like a strong claim supported by several other examples in the context of the conversation, as well as a large number of memory issues that Biden has displayed on camera in front of the press over multiple years. I also don't think it makes sense to dismiss this as Republican attack, given that Hur was appointed by Merrick Garland, a legal mind favored by both Biden and Obama.

Kchama posted:

I couldn't tell you the exact year the person I loved most in the world died without having to think about it because I really don't like thinking about it most of the time because it hurts. I am not an old man in a stressful job.

I can remember the date, year, and exact hour my father died. I am also not an old man in a stressful job.

I didn't really intend to start a derail, though. I was just offering another plausible option in an informative poll about why Trump would be a non-issue in 2028--specifically, that he'd be finishing up a second term as president (of a country that constitutionally allows a president to serve only two full terms) after defeating his opponent (who is suffering from cognitive decline that is apparent to 86% of the country).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Lemming posted:

How is it a strong claim when he doesn't even say what Biden actually said? Like, he included what Biden said for his other characterizations, and the words are a lot weaker than what was implied. It's really obvious that if there were truth to that incredible bombshell, he'd actually quote it. It would be huge, if true

In a footnote, the report references a recording and transcript that Biden's handlers are currently very wary of having released. If the recording and transcript favor Biden's claim that he was able to remember when his son died, it seems to me that he and his handlers would be calling for at least that part to be released. As far as I know, that part of the conversation isn't classified, which is really the only valid reason to argue against its release. Even Wikipedia lists a death date for Beau Biden.

It's also worth noting that Biden's account of the interview doesn't match what happened in his conversation with Hur. In the press conference, Biden claimed that Hur asked him directly when Beau died. Hur never asked him that directly:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna138709

Biden himself incorrectly stated Beau's death while trying to orient himself to time in response to a separate question Hur had asked. (Worth noting here that inability to orient to time is a sign of cognitive issues.) Biden is himself an unreliable reporter about his conversation with Hur. Either he lied about the conversation to the press, or this is yet another instance of his failing memory.

There's very little reason to have faith in Biden's memory.