Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Leonie's passive is utterly absurd and lets you do ridiculous Devil May Cry combos out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sydin posted:

Extremely funny that the BE's already have three preferred mages in Dorothea, Lindhart, and Hubert, and instead of making Monica's preferred class something that actually fills a niche within the BE's like flyer where they're sorely lacking, it's just "lol here's your fourth caster, with a unique tome to boot so you feel even worse about reclassing her!" :downs:

I don't think preferred class means much of anything besides "hey if you don't know what to do with this character send them here". The only preferred flyers in the demo are Claude and Ingrid, and the Golden Deer literally have zero preferred sword users besides Shez.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Mage is good and can be workable, but it depends on the character's spell list and other abilities.

Priest is... bordering on unsalvageable. The regular combo string has a very bad habit of pushing everyone out of the C5 which would have been really useful otherwise, and it's not as skilled as the mage in terms of magic attacks.

Yeah mages are super good. You have great range variability on your moves and tons of fantastic AoE, and the class skill is a death machine gun that absolutely murders stun meters.

Priest is weird. You have to be super duper aware of your ranges on that class in a way that most classes don't need to give a poo poo about, and I think that's why it feels weak and awkward. The damage is certainly there if you can actually land the moves, but it's really easy to constantly gently caress up your own combos if your positioning is wrong. You have to play them really really close, which is hugely counterintuitive.

Marianne is a fantastic priest, because her passive gives her tons of aoe crowd control which allows her to mash up into peoples' faces to do priest things safely. The problem is that she's just as good of a mage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If you feel sorry for anyone, pity poor Shamir. She joins the Deer but has C support max with literally every single character except Shez.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Deer all showing up to help isn't weird at all even without White Clouds. It's less a bond of personal affection like it is in Three Houses and more of a practical consideration, though.

Claude is repeatedly shown to be basically desperate for associates and acquaintances he can rely on to get poo poo done outside of the stifling paralysis of the Alliance government - it's why he hires Shez, after all - so it's really not weird for him to go "well I spent a month with these people and we fought together before in a couple of decent-sized battles, including against a full-scale Almyran invasion, and it worked well, so I'm going to send some messages and ask for their support". As for why they'd respond, well, Claude's the leader of a powerful noble house and also first among equals in the Alliance government, so doing favors for him is an extremely prudent idea.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

lunar detritus posted:

Three Hopes really shows how much of an afterthought Golden Deer was. Gotta create an invasion because there was nothing to use from three houses.

"There is constant political infighting between Leicester's nominally equal noble houses not beholden to an absolute monarch like the other two nations" and "Fodlan's first and primary line of defense against a very powerful neighboring country that has expansionist ambitions" are both extremely strong and interesting story hooks, but both of them are largely divorced from Three Houses's primary thrust being about church politics, dragons, and an evil underground techno-cult so they didn't get a lot of time in the sun.

If anything, Three Hopes might give the Golden Deer more of their own niche with more Almyran stuff, because that stuff was Claude(and to a lesser extent, all the nobles in the Deer)'s primary focus up until Three Houses happened.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

Also the conceit of this game and the playable characters are kind of a hilarious juxtaposition. Cutting through literal hundreds of mooks makes sense as Shez or Byleth or Catherine or Dimitri, but it kind of falls apart when you think a little bit about how or why Manuela is a whirlwind of death with her fists if you class her that way

If anything, the Three Houses crew is the most logical Fire Emblem cast for mowing down armies of mooks, since battalions existing meant it was quite possible to have your solo folks routing regiments of enemy soldiers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Lysithea's unique skill is very funny when you have her in a class that has more moves that generate knockback. I experimented with her in pegasus knight and she essentially used the slew of corpses she generated to carpet bomb everyone else

mage attacks just dont have as much knockback, is all

I found that Lysithea can do effortless loops by spamming the fire blast -> ZR vacuum -> fire blast -> ZR vacuum etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

Lorenz's special ability seems to make him completely invincible. As long as you keep mashing the attack buttons, he'll parry any and all incoming attacks, including arrows and magic.

Taking a hit while he has a full gauge dumps your gauge and nulls the attack, so as long as you have something that isn't blocking to smack and build gauge he's functionally invulnerable, yeah. It's not 100% foolproof against officers unless you use a weapon art because you don't build gauge on blocked hits as far as I can tell.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Lorenz is unironically one of my favorite characters simply because he's kind of an idiot, but with good intentions? Like, a lot of his wartime supports are along the lines of "you shouldn't be here because as a commoner, it shouldn't be your responsibility to fight in the army. Nobles are supposed to lay down their lives in times of war, that's the cost of our privilege... but if you're also laying down your lives then my entire worldview shatters so please go home and let me protect you???"

he's an earnest idiot who never quite realized that A: most of the nobility does not give a poo poo, and B: that the rank-and-file soldiers have to come from somewhere

I like that him and Ferdinand are both slightly different takes on the idea of Noblesse Oblige, they're much more compelling than most fantasy characters whose defining trait is "nobility".

also he has stupid hair and awful fashion sense which just makes him funnier :allears:

In Three Houses he also spends a lot of time trying to (very properly and politely) romance women and failing terribly because his approach logic is "I'm a cool and good noble, and you're a cool and good noble, so we should associate with each other because the only thing better than a cool and good noble is two cool and good nobles" and then being absolutely flabbergasted and baffled when every single girl he talks to shoots him down for being a gigantic dweebus, which owns.

His friction with Claude is also pretty interesting, because it's not a power, jealousy, or pride thing. Lorenz simply initially believes that Claude doesn't take his nobility and the responsibility Lorenz believes that nobility confers on him seriously enough to be worthy of his position.

Lorenz is great.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Is this going to get a midnight release?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

speaking of magic, my shez has had some weird stat growths and not only is her magic stat slightly higher than her strength, it's higher than lysithea's. very worth your while to invest in training her to use it, she makes for a fun mixed attacker

Shez's base class comes with some magic already so I think you're actually meant to do this by default.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

How do classes/progression work in this? Do you basically choose a path for each character on your playthrough, or is it more open and you can grind everyone in all their classes eventually if you choose?

The latter. You can also reset people to level 1 and level them up in different classes if you're unhappy with how their initial growths shook out, or if you want to level them in a different build/role.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Harrow posted:

Yeah, every character can get at least one hidden ability from mastering specific classes. For Lysithea, mastering Mortal Savant gets her an ability that makes all of her damage use Mag regardless of weapon type, which is pretty rad.

This stuff being hidden is extremely annoying because mastering classes takes a very long time so it's not like you're likely to randomly send people down random trees.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

It’s actually truly astonishing that such a repugnant man could raise a son so good, so pure, so noble in every sense of the word as Ferdie.

"Bad dads whose kids end up okay" is kind of a common thing in Fodlan.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Omobono posted:

Doesn't Ingrid's dad try to pressure her into a political marriage? (in Three Houses)
To be fair on the Fodlan scale of bad parents that's at most a 1.5 out of 10.

Ingrid's dad is the doting "isn't it time you settle down and get married for the sake of your future?" kind of "it's time you get married" versus the "you are my political pawn used to advance my ambitions and will obey my commands" kind of "it's time you get married". She refuses him asking her to get married to various suitors numerous times and is able to get away with it without consequences besides feeling bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Honestly I feel like what lets the mage classes down isn't their combos, it's their terrible defense combined with how static the moveset is. You're guaranteed to get butt shanked for a billion damage while fighting in a crowd because the moves have no movement at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flytrap posted:

I dunno, maybe it'll change closer to the end game but Hubert has stayed in his little mage cubby and he's consistently been an MvP when I field him.

My Lysithea vaporizes anything she attacks and does thousands of damage with any magic weapon art, but if I position her slightly poorly some random grunt enemies will walk up and stab her for hundreds of damage while she's casting, or some archer I didn't see charging an attack because of all the particle effects of the combo finishers will shoot her for 3/4 of her life bar.

Comparatively most of the non-axe physical classes fly around nonstop during all of their combos so it's extremely easy to just not ever get hit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lorenz is a god tier anything. Despite his mediocre stats you can stack every single "increase damage but take more damage" skill in the world on him and it doesn't matter because his unique skill will bounce all incoming attacks while you mash like a baboon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eimi posted:

They will also occasionally block a hit and do a knock up attack that exposes an enemy gauge. And you get tons of support points. It's always worth doing.

The support attacks also start doing huge big chungus amounts of damage as the character involved gets stronger. I've had adjutant Hilda pop in and smash enemy commanders for 70% of her life in one go on her own.

I'll use adjutants a lot on smaller maps, but on larger maps I prefer spreading my people out so I can functionally intervene at multiple points across the map and farm kills faster. When you're going to go fight a boss to end a stage there's no reason to not pair up with whoever's convenient because it basically doubles the power of your warrior attack.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The A-Rank in the weapon class requirement is absolutely baffling, because that's the goddamned master seal level of classes and by the time you have the final classes in a class line you have more than enough weapon arts to use already. It might be useful if you could do it really early on before you flesh out your toolkit, but, well, you can't.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I am guessing the intention is to give you more flexibility on elemental stuff so you can more reliably break monster parts.

Man but monsters are boring in this game I just realized.

Every monster I have ever seen has been three physical weaknesses and 1 element, and at least half the master rank classes can cover multiple elements even without weapon arts so sharing at that point is kind of redundant. Dark Knight can cover lances + every single magic element on its own with just basic attack strings + enders, for example.

It's a real headscratcher.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They could have just put Judith on the normal class tree. Holst works just fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:lol: Holst canonically doesn't care if you make a pass at Hilda.

Holst actually completely loves you and thinks you're cool as gently caress if you do any support stuff with him, so he'd probably be overjoyed knowing that his beautiful darling sister is potentially romantically involved with someone Holst thinks rules.

Holst is a loving fantastic character and Golden Wildfire giving him *so much* screen time feels like the writers continually and liberally apologizing for us not getting him in Three Houses.

An example of how much Holst owns:

During the Holst/Balthus/Hilda paralogue, at one point Hilda gets ambushed and surrounded by a bunch of enemies. Holst puts on this incredible mock horror voice(ProZD knocked it out of the park here), bemoaning "No! My darling sister is in danger! She....wait....they really only sent that many men after her? Nevermind, she'll be fine." And then Hilda kills all of them while grousing about it.

Tender Bender posted:

It sounds like the story and writing in this is actually good, and not just an excuse to string missions together? I only played Hyrule Warriors, but skipped Age of Calamity, so that's my main comparison.

It's good enough that I'm usually excited to finish a plot mission to see what's going to happen next, with the caveat that a lot of my enjoyment is coming from knowing how Three Houses goes and seeing how they're going to gently caress with it.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 30, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

The impression I got from the Three Hopes scene was "Slithers did it but Count Gloucester was never going to say that because it would make him look stupid and also because noblesse oblige means it's his responsibility either way." Nobody actually mentioned the Slitherers; I just kind of wound up assuming that because they're the go-to for mysterious poo poo like that.

I don't really see a reason why the Agarthans would be involved. It makes a lot more sense if it's just some ambitious underling who decided to goose the mercenaries into doing something he thought would put him in the Count's good books for his initiative. Gloucester has famously rocky relations with Riegan so some random mid-level functionary might think "hey if I come up with a plan to gently caress over Riegan the Count might reward me". Once the plan went to poo poo Erwin is left holding the bag because the mercenaries are his overall responsibility even if he didn't give them the orders to endanger civilians, so he punished the mercenaries and then buried the truth of the matter because "accidental assassination of a rival house member with a bunch of collateral damage" is an incredibly bad look for House Gloucester.

Even if Erwin didn't order it, it's still a net "Erwin hugely sucks", because what happened is his responsibility and instead of paying restitution or admitting fault he tried to silence the witnesses and bury the evidence.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

mabels big day posted:

Is it just me or is Lorenz's unique passive absolutely busted? It charges so absurdly fast, autoblocks the majority of all attacks, and can just be used as a really good offensive cyclone to extend combos or create pressure. I feel like I should be hearing more people sing its praises. I'm trying to come up with even one good reason I shouldn't give Lorenz the merc whistle so Shez can use this busted rear end skill

Because Holst's skill is just as hilariously busted and substantially funnier to use.

Though yeah Lorenz is SSS tier.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

Still gushing over the amount of polish and love that went into this. Certain characters that have special relationships, even if they don't have any supports with each other, still get unique lines. E.g. I just had a 500 kill streak as Constance in her depressed mood and she does her usual "I won only because the enemy didn't really try" line and to my surprise Ferdinand piped up with "your power is truly unrivaled, Constance, you do not have to berate yourself like this!"

It's cool because they didn't give them any new supports but still remembered they had a history together + I assume Ferdinand's line changes depending on whether it's a day or night map, considering Constance's mood swings. And it shows how much love and care went into the writing of this that they'd go the extra mile for those kinds of interactions.

Likewise the unique lines for certain combinations of paired up characters when you do your special attack, which even change depending on which one initiates the attack and which one follows up on it!

Claude: It's all you, Hilda!
Hilda: No, it's all you, Claude!
Claude: All of it???

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

I am not sure why you'd ever want to use the merc whistle for its mechanical benefit

Shez's dash is the most powerful move bar none as is

The shadow dash is incredibly, incredibly good but it's not on par with the SSS tier stuff like Lorenz. "Extremely good mobility to continue combos" is a useful tool but it doesn't stack up to "brainlessly invincible".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Doesn't it also give a chance to instakill mobs? I find that + the mobility vital for S ranking from what I've played. On harder stages I'd guess not dying is probably more important though.

It produces random slashes that instakill mobs, but Shez's unique classes(or any cav) have such ludicrously huge attack ranges that it's extremely easy to keep everything in front of you in a combo for another second or two until they're dead.

Lorenz's ability goes beyond simply not dying, too - enemy characters who attack into it and trigger the auto-guard will flinch back and lose their own guard so you can start hurting them/picking them up in your combo vacuum cleaner, meaning that with his ability active the best approach to enemy characters is to Just Keep Swinging.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

mabels big day posted:

Another thing about Lorenz's Rose thing is whether you have it on shez or lysithea or whoever you can run all the life-drain/low hp skills along with it and not have to worry about the downside whatsoever

And don't downplay the actual offensive ability of the tornados it makes, its as serviceable of a crowd control tool/juggle extender as anything else

Yeah, this is another really important benefit of being invincible. You can freely stack literally every "do more damage but take more damage/take damage when you swing/do more damage when at low hp" stuff with zero fear.

Clawtopsy posted:

If you are not giving the whistle to Byleth so you can give ZA WARUDO to whoever needs it I don’t know what to tell you

I saved my whistle for the entire game to see what Byleth had to offer, got Byleth, went "that looks cool as gently caress!", then used Byleth's skill a bunch and went "well, somehow they managed to make a time freeze skill weak rear end garbage, that's disappointing", and gave my whistle to Holst.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Smh at people giving whistles for gameplay rather than for love since they're the closest thing the game has to it.

Holst and Lorenz are two of my favorite characters in the entire game, so I'm not seeing a downside.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I can see male or female Byleth as the protagonist but Shez is lady or nothing else. I can't picture half the scenes with the dude design.

I can't picture a lot of the scenes in this game involving Byleth with lady Byleth. F Byleth's general design doesn't really feel suited at all to the cold emotionless death robot + darth vader/lu bu schtick Byleth has going on for most of the game, while male Byleth feels natural to me.

I think it's a combination of face design - F Byleth's face is a lot more wide-eyed and expressive than M Byleth's - and outfit design, where M Byleth's outfit can easily be taken to be a knockoff Sith robe while F Byleth has the short sleeves and wild leggings thing going on which reads way more "protagonist" to me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I feel the exact opposite. F Byleth excels at being cold and emotionless exactly because of those things. The weird flatness she has stands out a whole lot more on a face that looks like it should be emoting more than it is. It's actually better here than in TH because Byleth is her own character with dialogue and cutscenes so it becomes very clear that Byleth isn't evil or a robot but just extremely loving offputting. The generic male design doesn't come close to capturing the same feel.

I think that's important to making Byleth interesting because they're not evil or cruel. They are just flat.

I think the fact that M Byleth looks like a Kylo Ren cosplayer plays into these themes a lot, though. He's dressed and looks like an evil emotionless villain and isn't either of those things.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That's cool as hell. I wish the class wasn't basically "weaker cavalry, except you're also vulnerable to more common enemies and your combo chains are way more awkward".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eimi posted:

No after you finish the final map you can load up that save file and finish things up before starting NG+.

I am starring down the barrel of NG+ Azure Gleam just to get Lysithea her sword. I hate the Kingdom and I don't want to play this route so I'm pondering setting it to easy to see how fast I can blitz through it with just Shez and Mercedes.

You can get Thunderbrand on GW.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I feel the opposite, the magic knights feel kind of anemic compared to the cav moveset. Except for on characters who can pick up Essence of Light/Dark from the mage tree, those tear poo poo up.

Dark Knight has a ludicrous combo set with access to every element except light, including the C5 which vacuums everything in in a huge radius and instantly inflicts frozen status to anyone who survives. Holy Knight is much worse because it's a copy-pasted dark knight with all the elements replaced with holy, which is the lamest element in this game that provides no real utility.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

you literally cannot because then they lose their unique appearance that sometimes they lose anyway and fashion is v important

although some character color palettes still work, usually for horse classes

You can set every character to use their unique appearance in battle at your personal quarters and it works with every class except a couple of the mounted ones.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Khizan posted:

I think this would probably be better storywise, but I also think that they're also probably better off using Byleth/Shez/etc just because I think a lot of players would get upset if they were playing a character like Edelgard but didn't get a say in any of her plans. Honestly, I'd probably be a bit irritated myself if you had me playing the faction leader and all I could do as the Emperor was lead the faction down the single set of rails established by the storyline.

This is how linear RPGs have functioned without self-insert characters since time immemorial, and how FE functioned before, what, New Mystery? It's not really that weird.

Hell, even in Awakening, your self-insert Robin was supposed to be a genius tactician who was planning your entire strategy but you pretty much followed linear rails determined by the plot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, but most RPG plots are reactive, where the protagonist is spurred into action by the villain, or some supernatural event, or even just a guide showing up and pointing them on the way. Edelgard and Claude are active in a way that is not typical for RPG protagonists, and definitely not for Fire Emblem lords, and even Dimitri is wholly driven by his past trauma. They start out as fully-fledged characters with drives and ambitions shaped by their pasts.

Previous lords either had simple backstories and were just hanging around until bandits showed up and started trouble, and one thing led to another and they wound up facing an evil dragon cult bent on world destruction without any moral conundrums more complex than "what is the best way to protect people," or only learn of their destiny after the story begins, like Lyn receiving envoys from her grandfather, or Micaiah figuring out who the voice in her head is.

A big part of the tension of Three Houses is that you don't know what the lords are thinking. The whole Flame Emperor plotline, or taking a leap of faith and betting on Crimson Flower, or the first appearance of the Boar would not have been the plot points they were if you were viewing them from the lord's perspective all along.

Like, either Edelgard's story would start with a nightmare montage of the Tragedy of Duscur and the Enbarr dungeons and White Clouds would have no plot twists, or you'd be playing as her in media res doing all these weird calculated moves for no apparent reason, and having the events that drive her decisions filled in later. Both I think would be significantly weaker stories.

This is assuming that Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude have to be your perspective character that you have perfect internal knowledge of, instead of the house as a whole. You could very easily have rotating perspectives, or have a less important member of the house be your initial representative. Fantasy stories have figured out many, many ways for one of the protagonist to have a hidden past or unclear motives that they're working towards that are revealed at a dramatic or pertinent juncture in the story without having to have an everyman blank slate outsider for the reader/viewer/player to project themselves onto and for other characters to exposit to - that's just the easiest and lowest effort way to write a story around.

To use other RPG examples, you play as Cloud for the entirety of FF7 but you don't start the game understanding his trauma about Zack and Nibelheim and why he has a feud with Sephiroth. In Wild ARMs you have a rotating cast of perspective protagonists who all have their own past traumas and goals that drive their actions and you discover them as the story advances - Jack, one of your three characters, doesn't get his true past and his motivations explained clearly until like the 2/3rds point of the game, despite him being your perspective character for a fair chunk of it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

mabels big day posted:

Yeah i agree, the best FE game has the story take place from the perspective of someone who, as far as they are aware, is entirely an outsider to the primary plot, and even in the end they basically are (ike, im talking about ike)

So yeah, 3houses would be way better if the main character was Lorenz

But Ike absolutely isn't an outsider to the plot of Path of Radiance. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's really funny how much Dimitri sucks considering that his primary opponent is a gigantic empire that, in both games, launches a completely unprovoked(publicly) war of absolute conquest on every other country.