Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Trying to avoid plot spoilers but I don't think the tutorial really touched on it-- is there anything crest-based going on in terms of "full power" vs. "partial power" if you're doing cross-crest equips, or is it just a binary "if they have a crest they can use a relic without taking damage" deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gamerofthegame posted:

I am not sure why you'd ever want to use the merc whistle for its mechanical benefit

Shez's dash is the most powerful move bar none as is

You can give the merc whistle item to other people, for what it's worth

Want a Lysithea with Lorenz's Rose Shield? go for it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Re: NG+ mechanics, I'm a little salty that everything seems to be "a story mission" that you can't use your full roster on, but the exact same mission in the Records is not. I've already beat the game once, I don't care if Byleth is fighting themselves in Chapter 3 on a different route, there's literally nothing apart from "available renown" stopping me from whistling through the entire campaign, let me field who I want the first time around :argh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
HW's adventure mode was a one-off that I desperately want them to come back to some day but they persist in not doing so

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tired Moritz posted:

What's with those "gonna find a lost item in the stronghold" side quests? Am I supposed to just waste time standing there or what? What does failing side missions even do?

Anything that's a "find the X" just requires you to send anyone to each stronghold with a green box around it, the instant anyone sets foot in it you'll get a popup of "Your faction army is searching X stronghold" and it'll either complete or not (or trigger an event spawn of some sort)

afaik the only result of completing (or not) the side quests are:
- in-the-moment rewards or penalties (helpful NPC spawns/buffs or detrimental enemy spawns/buffs)
- A flat post-level 20% increase to reward gold if you completed (or didn't fail?) all available sidequests, I think-- I honestly haven't paid close enough attention to the "sidequest" percent on the post-battle score screen to tell that for sure

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Terper posted:

What about the ending of CF comes out of nowhere and doesn't make sense?? Maybe my perception's been colored by the times and hindsight but I don't remember feeling confused about anything.

I did CF first and it felt like it answered basically no open questions about anything going on, especially compared to VW. It was just Hooray, we killed Rhea! Job and story complete, Slitherers get relegated to "and then they fought against those that Slither in the Dark" in a bunch of character epilogue mentions. Why was Rhea a dragon? Who was Sothis? Who knows, who cares, not important or relevant. IIRC CF even had Byleth just die with Rhea and then come back to life with blue hair again and that's never touched on or explained, it just Happens and that's that-- in order to get the explaination and backstory you have to play one or more different routes.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 4, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Terper posted:

You don't need text to explain that!

there are at least two people ITT who disagree with that apparently lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
How much does Sothis show up in a playthrough where you fail to recruit Byleth? I assume the overarching byleth plot points are the same across the board where every route has the rear end kicking, the draw-and-sothis-takeover, and the recruitment and sothis is never directly heard from again

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Snake Maze posted:

Having a gameplay toggle for permadeath definitely feels like a weird fit for a musou. I guess it's ultimately not too different from normal (in Fire Emblem and in this game, permadeath basically just means that you fail if anyone dies, and in musous failing the mission if any of your player avatars die is also pretty normal). The only real outlier would be continuing on after one of your units dies, which, does it even get acknowledged outside of gameplay? I assumed they just do the normal Fire Emblem thing and "retreat" so they can still show up in dialogue scenes.

People dying in the story (because you didn't recruit them or because it's just how the plot goes) feels fine, although it does seem weird to combine that with giving every random grunt a voiceline about retreating.

I kind of mentally glossed over it until one of the paralogues where someone explicitly yells "REMEMBER, DON'T KILL ANYONE" and realized that the kill counter was explicitly a "K.O." counter

so the only people that canonically die ever are like, a handful of named npcs at plot-specific points where they forget to surrender or run away

lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eimi posted:

Ah okay it was very weird that that's the only relic you steal. I beat up all the kingdom jocks, let me take their shiny weapons. :argh: Like why introduce that as a possibility only to never use it again?

I'm actually curious, can you get relic dupes or is it one and done? I couldn't tell if Crusher is literally SB only, or if I would have gotten it in AG but didn't since I had it already

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I just started dumping mine asap (as soon as nothing else needed that material) and never had a problem with it, managed to fully upgrade the camp pre-NG+ too

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Clawtopsy posted:

Randolph directly states that Hubert has been killed.

Necroposting so may have been addressed already, AG/SB combo spoilers(ish),

It's stated in-game as "Marquis Vestra", which in hindsight probably means Hubert but also could arguably mean his dad, depending on whether or not timeskip events played out identically-- isn't Hubert's title "Count" after he offs his dad?

I did AG after SB and the fact that only his dad is ever referred to as that by nearly everyone did make me assume Hubert was probably just "missing" and wasn't dumb enough to get killed but :iiam: that may never actually be addressed

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 9, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

Regarding AG whoever said one of the biggest problems outside the yikes Edelgard stuff is that the Lions are just boring now is pretty bang on. The writing magically solves all of their hangups and character flaws off screen during the time skip, but rarely if ever replaces them with anything new or interesting. Dimitri calmly and rationally works his way through the web of mystery to obtain his revenge and never even shows a hint of crazy, even when he does have some reason to suspect Edelgard is involved. Felix is now a Duke and his chiding of Dimitri is less petulant and more trying to advise him, and hell if you get him to an A support with his dad they even sit down to a heart to heart where Rodrigue apologizes for the big instigating incident of their rift and Felix goes "oh okay cool." Sylvain is no longer a skirt chaser primarly because he's no longer anything, even the knowledge that his brother has been press ganged into helping as a general barely phases him. Ingrid gets to play knight with no obligations to her homeland and is also now not racist. Annette just gets her dad back. It reads like a lazy fix fic in a lot of cases.

Agreed re: Sylvain, the only characterization of interest that stood out to me was his support with Yuri, which I did enjoy because A. the idea of Sylvain being a spy mastermind is great and I wish they had done more with that and B. It's exceptionally gay

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eopia posted:

So I'm curious about something in late AG: Does Linhardt have anything to say about you killing Caspar? I actually avoided doing so by ignoring him entirely and just taking the escape point instead. He doesn't show up in the missions afterwards and the game didn't really say anything about it, but no one talked about him dying either.

As far as I came across, nobody said a single word about Caspar or Count Bergliez after their speech with each other, which I found incredibly odd-- I was 300% expecting the Count to show up at some point to yell at me and go for revenge but it just never comes up. I didn't think leaving Caspar alive was an option so I can only assume it was a "split path, whatever, don't touch on it either way" kind of deal.

Equally surprising is that (AM/AG spoilers) Hegemon Husk Edelgard shows up for exactly one half of one second during Arianrohd and never again-- does she make a reappearance during the last fight if you Bad Ending it sans Byleth or did they go out of their way to make sure all the house leaders survive regardless?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Shamir radiates so much lesbian energy she turns people around her into lesbians. Her being able to marry male Byleth is stupid as hell.

You would only know that if you play mByleth, which nobody does or should, therefore;

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hargrimm posted:

Someone noticed that the "Apex Sword/Axe/Tome/etc" skills which say they increase crit damage actually DECREASE it currently. It's very easy to confirm for yourself with a quick test in the training arena. So... that's a skill slot freed up for a bunch of units I guess.

lmfao that's some gen 1 pokemon bullshit

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m really really impressed with this game; it’s an excellent musou by that standard alone, but all the camp/character building stuff you do on the meta level, and the effort they put into the writing and production to make it capture the look and feel of three houses, my expectations are surpassed here. Between this and age of calamity (which unfortunately wasn’t an amazing game, but i respected the creative choices) i look forward to seeing what the Nintendo musous are gonna be like going forward.

Honestly it's kind of unfortunate that it doesn't seem likely that we're going to get HW's adventure mode in any other game because that really did give a lot more longevity to the game than anything postgame since. The closest thing to "challenge maps" are a literal handful per run of "no dodging" or "male units only", crafting materials only exist seemingly as a nod to "well it's a nintendo musou it has to have crafting materials", and it veers so hard away from the usual "bang action figures together noncanonically" that you can't even do that on NG+ outside of the record room if you want to replay missions for no real reward or progression reason.

I'm wrapping up route 3 but it's a lot more "I want to see where all 3 stories/supports go" than anything at this point

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Hah, I saw that in the postgame checking supports, Claude Edelgarde and Dimitri have listed C-supports-with-text with each other, I used the records battles to get them up but couldn't figure out if there was ever a way at any point to get them technically "on the roster" with you so that you could actually see the support...but checking the support log from the title screen, it appears that the game just records their "C-supports" as their Into The Chasm discussions with each other. Alas.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eimi posted:

One of my biggest mechanical annoyances is that you can't train or deploy the secret characters outside of replaying maps. It's an extra level of frustration that means I've barely used them. They even have unique partner specials. :argh:

Yeah I know there's at least one paralogue I missed from flubbing picking up Byleth on a playthrough but I think I'm pretty done with this until DLC unless redoing a route you've already done lets you interact with your "Other" roster in a meaningful way

Raserys posted:

while I wish there was a proper free mode that you could replay stages in without having to go through the camp, the story mode makes it worth it for me. i think it's in the same category as dw7 for quality of their main story paths

Yeah story/supports is def. The Draw for this game, I just miss having replayability that actually felt like there was a reason for replaying it

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 11, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Getting Felix's whistle ability is another option for high mobility without the "literally only one person can use it per map and they might take damage too" requirement, depending on if it's someone you care about ability overrides on

(Also it stacks with calvary speed which is hilarous and I think just a hair slower than Shez's ZR but without the recharge)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eimi posted:

I'm torn on if she's too young to fight, especially with only the two year timeskip, but gently caress it. Of course her preferred class should be assassin. :v:

About as old as Lysithea pretimeskip so arguably if she's too young to fight now Lysithea shouldn't have been a unit for the first half of 3 Houses :v:

Sydin posted:

AG: Gilbert, Cyril, maybe Sylvain's dad.
GW: Judith, Nadar, Lorenz's dad.
SB: Ladislava, Randolph, Caspar or Linhardt's dad.

My guess is since you can unlock all the named slither's weapons as postgame stuff that we'll probably eventually get them too for record battles.

that said yeah I think "3H units that didn't show up" > "new faces that were voiced but weren't playable" would be prioritized over Fleche, so Caspar and Lindhardt's dads are probably 2 shoe-ins, and then Ladislava is probably more likely for a third

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 18, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Taear posted:

I'm surprised!
I wonder how well it's sold, I've not heard anyone talking about it and it seems to have vanished from shops here now

I can't find US figures, but

quote:

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes debuted at the top of the weekly UK physical charts, having released on June 24 on Switch.

This second entry in the Fire Emblem Warriors series easily surpassed its predecessor, selling 45.3% more copies on its debut week. Fire Emblem Warriors launched in October 2017 on 3DS and Nintendo Switch.

However, Three Hopes didn't quite reach the level of its sister franchise, Hyrule Warriors. It sold roughly 1% less on its debut weekend than 2018's Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition on Switch, and 76% fewer copies than 2020's Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it's probably easily enough to justify DLC, and "first month" figures would probably be better to go off once it's been, you know, a month. FE:W was something I was told "it's bad, just get HW Definitive instead" so it wouldn't surprise me if some people who would have snagged it held off until reviews were in, too

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jimmydalad posted:

Well I got to the end of the Black Eagles route.

What a nothingburger of an ending.

Time to go chill with Claude and Holst and then never touch the Blue Lions cause holy poo poo some of the plot points I’ve heard make me never want to touch that path.

Doing AG is required so you can get Thunderbrand for Lysithea, also I guess all the other heroes relics that they're hoarding up in Fargheus

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Genovera posted:

Nah you can get that from GW when you kill Catherine.

ah drat really? I could have sworn that SB has a Catherine kill as well that I didn't get Thunderstrike from, why does Claude get preferential treatment :colbert:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

IMO the endings are way too incompatible with one another.

In AG The slithers are stone dead, Rhea's alive and the church has regained its old power and position, and the Empire is just completely hosed. Hubert and Ferdinand are explicitly dead, Edelgard is (presumably) captured and reduced to a child-like mental state, and the Empire has fallen into a leaderless, brutal anarchy in the wake of Thales' bullshit. The "continuing war" would presumably cover mopping up and pacifying the Empire, followed by Claude stabbing Dimitri in the back for a shot at killing Rhea.

In GW Thales is still alive and presumably has plans to continue loving things up behind the scenes, and Rhea is explicitly dead and the church has been reduced to almost nothing. The "continuing war" here is presumably Edelgard and Claude mopping up the Kingdom, then Thales popping back up to start poo poo and maybe driving a wedge between Edelgard and Claude.

In SB Both Thales and Rhea vanish in a big explosion and get a classic "nobody could have survived that" that tells you they absolutely did, so presumably they would pop back up down the line. Otherwise the ending is largely similar to GW with Claude and Edelgard poised to run the table against Dimitri, although here Claude hasn't reformed the Alliance into the Federation.

Some of those things could be smoothed over in one cohesive continuation DLC, but definitely not all of them. AG in particular goes really hard against the other two routes, not just because of what happens to Edelgard but also just the whole state of the war and the world and I'm not sure how you resolve that.

I mean the fun answer is "resolve it simliar to ashen wolves"-- Skip forward a year or two and you can have Rhea go insane or be resurrected with crest stone bullshit, Thales same but "my failsafe spun up a copy and threw it into another body", Edlegard got better or Dimitri got worse as desired, limit the roster to "options that didn't die in any route" and hey ho away we go to attack and dethrone your choice of god

Barring that-- the combat maps are all reused, the world maps don't matter, the camp is the same everywhere and the units themselves only really differ in unique abilities/models and animations; the bulk of the forked-path work is in support convos and text, so it's not a stretch to imagine that DLC in the form of

- More paralogues that can be dropped into existing routes
- More characters with minimal supports that either already exist in the camp or can be dropped in without actually changing any plot like the gatekeeper already was lmao
- "Challenge Modes" that modify the requirements of existing maps without actually changing the plot that happens in them

and the comedy option
- A completely new route from chapter 2, where you refuse to go with the officer's academy and end up going full-on, take-no-prisoners-or-recruits TWSITD from the word go

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sudden Javelin posted:

If/when they add the non playable cast back in, I wonder if they'll get their own paralogues or just join onto other people's. Cyril is just kinda hanging around for the Seteth and Flayn one so I could see him getting made officially part of it

In hindsight, Arval had a paralogue with a very missable NG+ requirement, are there ones for Rhea and Sothis buried somewhere?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't personally like Holst as much as most people because I find "I am the greatest at everything' characters annoying, but his relationship with Hilda and her being his reason he tries so hard is kind of cute.

I thought it was kind of funny that the Hilda/Holst/Balthus supports were so intertwined already that they seemingly just couldn't come up with a way to do an actual "just Hilda and Balthus" support

e: which also reminds me "Why the hell is there no Yuri and Bernie support" :psyduck:

e2: I need to take Yuri into one of the fights where you can kill Count Varley and see if he says anything

KittyEmpress posted:

unlike Caspar who is kind of an idiot.

Caspar's casting as seemingly inexplicably even more stupid in all of the supports is one of my few complaints about the characterization this time around, he's a bit better about it in the main plot dialogues especially in non-SB routes, presumably because they can't completely idiot-ball him when he's supposed to be killing you but if I have to hear him asking "what was I supposed to be doing again" on the map one more time :argh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jimmydalad posted:

Holy poo poo, Claude is darker in Three Hopes than Three Houses.

Literally dissolving the Alliance and reforming it as a federation him as King and conducting schemes behind the backs of everyone. You could easily frame the story as him being a villain if the perspectives were different.

tbh I'm surprised it's framed as positively as it is. There's not even a nod to "this is temporary for war" with Claude just being like yeah Lorentz is probably going to be the next king have fun and everyone is just joking about we're all turning into mini-claudes how quaint haha

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kanos posted:

The "mini-Claudes" line isn't a damning declaration of how Claude has corrupted his friends into being dead-eyed schemers, it's a result of him letting all of his friends and allies in on the planning process and encouraging them to participate, which is basically the most ironclad way to ensure that Leicester isn't doing bastard rear end in a top hat things because all of the Deer are fundamentally good people.

Basically GW is "Claude is now actually a grand planner and schemer, but his ties with his friends and allies anchor him and stop him from viewing people like chess pieces to be sacrificed when necessary".

I realize, and I fully admit that it's a "bring your own biases" thing that's probably coloring my reading of it especially in 2022-- I'm just put off nowadays more than ever by the "talking to people is difficult and slow, we have an emergency and it takes too long to have a consensus, we need One Strong Person to Take Charge and Do What Needs To Be Done" kind of stuff, and even if you take the initial King Claude stuff as a first step down a road that he steps back from post-Randolph, it's not like he actually steps back on it-- the Alliance is still dissolved and isn't coming back any time soon. You can also handwave that as (GW Ending)"well the war's not even half over by the end of the game" but again, Claude doesn't seem to even have the slightest interest in running it back, just throwing another noble into the position if/when he feels like loving off

it just rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat and stuck through to the end

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Does it? Like Dimitri keeps saying that that's the case, but everyone from party members to random camp guests keep chiming in how cool they are with broad sweeping changes on the other routes.

"The people who have issues with it" probably aren't going to be part of the king's immediate hand-picked war gang, no; doubly so if they were already in favor of his dad's attempts at being progressive

The people who would be a problem are generally the people you're actively fighting in AG because they rebelled against the most milquetoast changes for the 3rd time this year (but you can't Just Replace Them because that would be Too Disruptive)

tldr

galagazombie posted:

Dimitri should honestly just sell Edelgard western Fargeus for a huge sack of cash. They rebel and join the Empire on a biweekly basis anyhow, and are behind every block to reform and sinister conspiracy in the country. They’re more trouble than they’re worth. Make them Edelgards problem.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The fact that they added the whistles in for a pittance of renown (seriously I think you get like 2x as much renown per chapter while using whistles than costs to buy that number of whistles in the first place) indicates they knew exactly how likely it was that people would burn out on gameplay before they finished all 3 routes or 6 if you want to see what each route's good/bad ending is

I ended up doing SB->AG->GW and whistling past most of the back half of GW

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sapozhnik posted:

it's real thoughtful of the game that whoever you don't side with always turns out to be the bad guy and whoever you do side with is always the good guy

would be rather hosed up if this wasn't the case i think

it's obviously shez's cooking that's the difference, and if everyone just sat down for a meal this would all be a solved issue across the board

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eimi posted:

It's loving bullshit that they made a huge deal out of Byleth being able to break free and it requiring the power of a god, but Shez is just able to do it with no explanation. Byleth should've saved you there since you literally never visit it if Byleth is dead.

I assume it's just Shez broke out because of either killing the thing actively trapping them in there, or gaining the ability to do so from absorbing whatever ethereal energy arval left behind

That said I have to wonder how "canonical" that is anyways-- we also don't ever get an explanation of why/how Arval suddenly recovers the memory of how to banish everyone to eeby-deeby in the first place, and regardless of how Shez figured it out, it's weird that the act/result of gaining that ability has 0 effect on anything after outside of a couple of in-camp dialogues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

roomtwofifteen posted:

Truly a shame that any hope for DLC is dead :( would've loved those characters added in

Has this been confirmed or is everyone assuming "no DLC" because a new mainline game dropped first?