Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also there's the fact that your chosen difficulty level doesn't actually do anything until you get out of the prologue. those chapters are tuned to be super easy, if you have hard on the next ones are an intense difficulty spike where suddenly random stronghold captains are four-shotting you. i imagine it gets tougher there even on normal

this is also where they introduce the entire rest of the mechanics so you should just keep playing and the game will answer the question of what it's like pretty well actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sydin posted:

I was really worried after the 10-15 FPS nightmare that was trying to play Age of Calamity, but yeah Koei Techmo have obviously made some huge strides in squeezing out every drop they can from the Switch hardware. Note quite as buttery smooth as I'd like but the FPS dips are rarely bad even in the thick of it.
you should try portable mode :unsmigghh:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

The Zelda fanbase went through this when Agatha and Tingle threw down over in Hyrule Warriors, just don't think about it and you'll be fine.
forget tingle, what about Marin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04oI4VJJwU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

how could you do this to captain Berling

gone but never forgotten

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

And Shez you idiot one of the first things Claude told you about Lysithea is not to call her a kid.
you think they were listening?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

All classes are in this game are a moveset (which is fully unlocked by getting to A rank in the weapon), unlocks (which almost all carry over between classes) and between 1-4 innate skills with most classes having just 'whatever'-breaker and a few having some kinda meh ones beyond that like Locktouch.
this isn't quite true, classes do alter your stats while you're in them in a similar manner to how they do in 3H

not by an overly huge amount, but if you're ~optimizing~ you might take it into account that the master classes give better stats than anything below

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

I wish the Slitherers were playable so I could kill Jeralt as Kronya.
villains are easy DLC fodder

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

there will be a game where peg knights aren't trash

one day
uhh, you mean every game in the fire emblem series???

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i was just thinking, after the one-two combo of this game and three houses, i honestly would not mind if the series was permanently handled as a collaboration with koei from now on. they seem like they really know what's up, and should only get better after their literal first ever attempt at a fire emblem game was already pretty good, with some obvious issues

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

overabundance of swords?? there's like five units in the entire game that specialize in swords (and you're not even getting all of them in one playthrough!), if you're putting more of them there that's entirely on you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh, i see. i'm using every character i have as equally as i can so this is like the opposite of an issue for me lol

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

the big secret of the game is that you can just ignore the preferred classes if you want with barely any consequences, they just grow slightly slower and also a lot of mages have unique skills that are way better with a faster weapon
not quite, as characters always learn more abilities from their preferred class than any other ones, including their weaponbreaker skill. after you've gotten all that you're free to gently caress off, of course.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

I was talking about Three Hopes, which is why I mentioned Shez. I think if Shez was just a regular mercenary, it would also be a lot better. But the one we got is really just a waste of time whose story doesn't really pay off with anything interesting. You're right that it wouldn't work in Three Houses (Byleth has their own issues but being a shaggy dog isn't one of them), but Three Hopes is definitely assuming you've played that game and know all the Flame Emperor, Tragedy of Duscur backstory stuff.
shez is cool and the game would be less interesting without their personality around to bounce off the other characters, who cares about anything else

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Mentally ill is funny, don't you know
nobody said this, you weirdo

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you just miss out on interesting dialogue not recruiting everyone, too, and when it's as easy as pressing a button on the prep screen (as opposed to stacking stats and supports on byleth to meet exacting requirements) yeah there's absolutely no reason not to do it. in three houses there actually was a reason, because having people you know as enemies during part 2 was thematically more interesting but this game doesn't do anything like that, you either recruit or kill.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly it's kind of unfortunate that it doesn't seem likely that we're going to get HW's adventure mode in any other game because that really did give a lot more longevity to the game than anything postgame since. The closest thing to "challenge maps" are a literal handful per run of "no dodging" or "male units only", crafting materials only exist seemingly as a nod to "well it's a nintendo musou it has to have crafting materials", and it veers so hard away from the usual "bang action figures together noncanonically" that you can't even do that on NG+ outside of the record room if you want to replay missions for no real reward or progression reason.

I'm wrapping up route 3 but it's a lot more "I want to see where all 3 stories/supports go" than anything at this point
this is exactly why i like this game more lol, i would never engage with the 1 million hour postgame anyway so i appreciate all the focus going towards the part of the game i actually care about

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

what's really disingenous here is acting like "japanese games" (a ridiculously wide net, btw) have a history of touting a reactive story that changes based on your choices and not living up to it

actually name a single one that does

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

very shallow? they've exactly replicated the writing style and feel of three houses if you ask me (in fact they may literally just have the same writers), nobody feels out of character and they're exploring fun new interactions and angles with them that we didn't get to see there. i have 0 problems with this game's writing in general, in fact i like it more than three houses because the main story is way better instead of all the weight being carried by supports and worldbuilding.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Apex Lance to increase Critical Hits further whenever you're in a Lance-using class
two things here: these skills increase your critical damage, not your critical rate (you might have meant this but it was a bit ambiguous)

and that doesn't actually matter because they're currently bugged to actually lower your critical damage instead lmao

you can test this yourself in mock battles very easily, it's not a very significant decrease but it is still a total waste of a slot.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

Ok so I’m 70hrs in and still can’t figure out how to teach spells to other units.

So

1) They need to have a C support
2) Need to be in their preferred classes?
3) The spell needs to be at Lv 3
4) The spell needs to have a little bubble with dots in it
5) The teacher needs to be the adjunct

6)Spam moves?????

7) Profit?
in addition to what's mentioned above, the exact chances have been datamined and they're as follows:
A support: 8%
B support: 3%
C support: 0.4%

this is chance per use of the move in battle to teach it. so if your pair can't go above c support, good loving luck!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Eimi posted:

Honestly this is the smartest idea since its something like 350k to finish up a weapon and Balthus's personal is 9999 gold per battle. Stacks with despoil for another 9999. Super important.
it is? i usually get like 3000 gold max from all my despoils and balthus. do you have to be soloing the map with them or what

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

We know there's at least a free update to make Cyril/Gilbert/Hanneman/Anna/Alois playable planned. And indications in the data of placeholders for future DLC characters beyond them.
We do? did i miss them saying this?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

The current datamine holds eight additional roster slots for the playable roster, and five of those contain unfinished data regarding the five who are playable in Three Houses, but not playable here, as well as three leftover slots filled with the absolute bare minimum of data for whoever might become playable in addition (using Male Byleth's icon as a replacement icon).

There may be additional slots too, but that's simply hypothesis.

Additionally, there's data for four of those that indicate that they can be integrated into the story, while the fifth Anna is out of luck and probably on the same line as the renown unlocks.
sure, i generally knew about the unused data but that is not the same thing as "we know there will be a free update that adds this"

that is "we speculate that there will be a free update"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

A free update for some of them (mainly thinking about the five playable-to-unplayable characters), but some I think are probably coming as paid DLC (our three mystery slots).
thanks for the clarification but i just wanted to know if there's been some kind of official word on all this that i've missed or if we're all just speculating here!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They seem dead set against repeating any Houses support conversations*. Yuri and Bernie's supports couldn't really be anything but a retread of their interactions in Houses, so they just scrapped them. They do, however, still acknowledge one another and have unique remarks for dining or doing chores together, as well as training and fighting. There's a fair number of pairs like these, such as Ferdinand and Lorenz, or Dorothea and Manuela. It's kind of weird because it makes them mechanically worse to pair up than less close associates that can acquire higher support levels, but otherwise it seems reasonable enough.

Bernie does acknowledge Yuri's presence, it just happens in her support with Dorothea. There's a handful of supports that are locked with a "it seems you cannot deepen this bond at this time," and as far as I can tell, those all require you to recruit another character.

*Except Ferdinand and Dorothea, which was obviously some writer's favorite.
feel like there would've been an easy solution to this of just letting pairs like this reach a-support with no conversation. they did it for byleth they can do it for others!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you did say "three kingdoms era of japan" though lol

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yinlock posted:

You can also straight-up let him die later in CB(with an amazing death quote) without failing the mission, and the only person who expresses any degree of concern is Hubert, because now he has to find another bishop(and Bernie chimes in with "My father was killed? Oh.").
you can also go save him from death with bernadetta herself which, tbh, i think is a power move and a much more satisfying outcome (they don't at all play it off as "oh dad i guess i don't hate you that much" at all either)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh my god please stop saying "adjunct" it's adjutant! adjutant!!!

sorry

E: wait i just looked this up and those words have pretty similar meanings. oh no am i the one who is wrong

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 17, 2022