Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

It would be extremely wierd for a Warriors game to only allow 1/3 of the cast to play together at a time, so I'm wondering if the NG+ will allow you to pick a different house but access your units from your previous playthrough's house.

It would be huge a missed opportunity if they left out the alt-scenario levels these games tend to have as well.

It probably has a massive map or free mode. Most of the data's been scrubbed from the demo so we only got snippits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cloacamazing! posted:

If it helps, comparing Rhea to Ganondorf isn't really fair. She's more like the king of Hyrule, if the king of Hyrule had enough skeletons in his closet to fill up half the castle because he'd been fighting Ganondorf for so long that he made some very questionable decisions.

She is basically Cia from Hyrule Warriors. Just replace 'wants to bone Link' with 'wants to revive her mom'. And we're goin all in on some real questionable magic to do it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sudden Javelin posted:

what's the worst romantic support and why is it dorothea/hanneman

Hanneman has the largest gap between good supports and awful supports in the game. Like he has 3 full A supports with students where they get a unique ending about how they become colleagues and lifelong friends who work well together and they're really cool! (Annette, Marianne, Lysithea)

And then you have the ones where he gets into a relationship out of nowhere with the student instead of continuing to have the wholesome mentor relationship with them which are creepy as hell.

And then you have the best ending where you pair him Manuela so they can continue being dumb jackasses together forever.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
But for real the worst romantic one is Byleth/Rhea and it isn't a contest considering their whole uh everything.

Byleth/Sothis is also incredibly weird and probably should not exist. Especially since Sothis spends most of the game dead again and she looks like she's 10 even as a weird disembodied spirit in Byleth's head.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Deer actually getting something to do that isn't a rehashed Church route is the most exciting thing about 3 Hopes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Eh, that one bothers me less given that it states like a decade passes between the ending and their marriage. I think all of Seteth's paired endings do, actually.

That one is hella weird, yes, but I don't really read it as romantic. You don't even get a special ending slide, just "okay you don't want a paired ending, gently caress it, you can have the brain gremlin back if you want."

Like both are still off-putting, but there are far more directly off-putting endings out there.

Byleth literally proposes to Sothis using their mother's ring. And Sothis is 100% on the romantic train.

It is a really bizarre ending. Spoilered it here, but uh I dunno how you don't read that as a romantic thing

Sothis S Support posted:

S Support
Byleth: ...
Byleth:
Choice 1: The war is over...
Byleth:
Choice 1: But this is only the beginning...
Sothis: Complain, complain, complain... What is it now?
Byleth: Hm?!
Sothis: You are a fool! Just standing there and acting nonchalant! Have you already forgotten about me?!
Byleth:
Choice 1: You said you were going to vanish...
Sothis: I also said I would always be with you! But perhaps you would have preferred it if I had vanished without a trace! Hmph. You were alone... And so I chose to come back to this world...to stay with you.
Byleth:
Choice 1: I was doing OK...
Choice 2: I was lonely.
Sothis:
Choice 1 response: Do not put on a show! You know you cannot hide your truth from me.
Choice 2 response: I know, I know. Keep back your tears. You have me now.
Sothis: And I must say...that you have done quite well. Of course you have. I chose to join our souls because I have great faith in you. And yet, I must admit I did not know you would achieve so much. To think you could have died so early on...
Byleth:
Choice 1: Was it you who saved me?
Choice 2: That was a close call...
Sothis:
Choice 1 response: Well, who can say? My memory is faint...
Choice 2 response: And that is all you have to say? You are impossible to stir...
Sothis: But all is well that ends so well. Is that not what they say?
Byleth:
Choice 1: Since you're here... I want you to have this.
Sothis: Huh? What is that thing?! A ring, of course. But I must ask... For whom?
Byleth:
Choice 1: My pocket.
Sothis: I see... Or no. I take it back. You are not making any sense! Could it be... that my own feelings were somehow influential? But when I think about it like that, I can't help but feel that... that... That I'm so in love I should make an eternal vow!
Byleth:
Choice 1: Do you really love that much?
Sothis: What?! Oh! I! Were you... eavesdropping?! Oh, fine! I shall admit... I do. I love you deeply! Overwhelmingly! Passionately! Ours is a love without an end! And so... I guess I shall accept that ring of yours.
Byleth:
Choice 1: You will?
Sothis: Indeed. It's only right, for you and I are joined within our souls. And that is much the same as marriage, don't you think?
Sothis:
(Black Eagles route) The stone within your chest... It is no more.
(other routes) The stone within your chest is little more than decoration now.
Sothis: That means...it is within your very soul that I exist.
Sothis: And so? Whatever are you waiting for?
Byleth:
Choice 1: How do I...
Sothis: Hm? Ah. Well, just wear it on your own finger! Our love is all that matters, not a ring. The two of us are one, for now and ever. I hope you are aware of that. In sickness and in health, and come what may, I shall be deep within your heart. I... I love you. And I can feel the warmth of love from you as well.
Byleth:
Choice 1: I love you too.
Sothis: I know. You can no longer hide a thing from me. The day you die, I'll follow you. We shall journey as one until the end of time. I never tire of being around you. Since we could not trade words for far too long, I have much that I wish to say to you! I know just where to start. Do you recall what we spoke of before? I had told you not to let your guard down... Honestly, I adore you, but you can be so childish...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Some manner of recruitment system has to be in. I refuse to believe they’d take this game’s setup which is ripe for a golden ending and then make this timeline worse by forcing you to off everybody not from your house.

Yes, but

Also, I know this probably won’t be true but I hope Shez isn’t related to TWSITD or the Nabateans in any way. Just a random merc who got lucky in this timeline

I mean we absolutely know Shez isn't just a random merc lol. Random Mercs don't have gods in their head, or go super saiyan, or the special Dark magic only people associated with TWSITD have.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

One of these days Intsys is going to have to make a game where the protag is not royalty, a crafted supersoldier, a divine vessel or otherwise explicitly genetically superior and just a guy who got really loving good at his job :negative:

They are entirely uninterested in telling those stories. And considering the vocal backlash by some of the fandom to even the idea of it raised in 3 Houses, lol.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought Ike wasn't special, other than having big muscles and knowing sword kung fu. Did he have some magical backstory reveal in Radiant Dawn I forgot about?

His mom and Mist are the only people who can touch the Fire Emblem without going insane. And his dad was the best swordsman in the world. And he's literally the only person in the world able to wield Ragnell. They also sort of do a weird thing where they've retroactively turned Aether into something you get through a royal bloodline but that wasn't a thing in FE9 so it can mostly be ignored.

He's definitely the closest we've gotten though.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 15, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I only played Three Houses for like 10 hours because the amount of downtime between combat missions made me want to die and the story had zero interesting hooks. Love musou games though and am enjoying this, but I can't tell what the deal is storywise -- is it a sequel to Three Houses or more of an alternate universe using the same characters? And is there any good resource for catching up on the Three Houses story if it is a sequel?

We don't actually know yet but smart money is on it being a sort of Time Travel sequel that changes things a lot like Age of Calamity was for Breath of the Wild.

Especially since Byleth, the protagonist from 3 Houses, has time travel powers and seems to have some goal/agenda that hasn't been revealed in the demo yet.

It definitely seems to assume you've already played 3 Houses though with how quickly it glosses over establishing any of the characters or even really a lot of the set up to get to the divergence.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh so post timeskip they just reveal Marianne's crest is the Crest of the Beast. Kinda weird they hid it before but I guess it's a bigger plot point in Three Houses.

Are support conversations between characters just not present at all in the demo? I got Marianne and Hilda's support level up to C, but it has a lock for each other on the support info screen and when I choose them it just says "This bond cannot be leveled up at this time."

And Shez you idiot one of the first things Claude told you about Lysithea is not to call her a kid.

If they're locked they probably reference events later in the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
For anyone curious about the roster,

Everyone playable from 3 Houses is in, including the Wolves and Church characters, as well as Rodrigue, Monica, Holst, Rhea, Jeralt, Gatekeeper, Anna, Sothis and Arvel

Also some additional interesting tidbits

You can recruit characters from other factions during the War phase but most are limited. Lysithea can be poached by the Empire for instance but not by the Kingdom. And some characters are only playable on certain routes and its on a sliding scale where the Kingdom only has 2 characters that can be recruited by the other factions at all (Ashe, Mercedes) while literally everyone from the Alliance can except Holst and Hilda. The Empire is somewhere in between with Caspar/Ferdinand/Monica/Manuela exclusive to them.

Most interesting part of this is Jeritza can actually be recruited into the Lions late game by Mercedes.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 22, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly for 3 Houses there's like... 8 plot points that you need to get the whole story. Most of the writing is character work and not something you really need to know to get into 3 Hopes.

3 Houses plot spoilers

1) 1000+ years ago dragons came from space and landed on earth. They ended up getting into a big all out war against an advanced civilization who wasn't keen on 'alien dragons ruling the world' and almost all of them were wiped out including Sothis their leader and super-powerful dragon.

2) During the war people carved up dragon corpses into super weapons and did experiments to imbue humans with their powers in the form of 'crests' which give them super powers.

3) Sothis' daughter, Seiros, manages to win the war. She recruits over most of the lieutenants who got crests and establishes a religion worshipping her mother as a goddess and teaching that crests and the corpse-weapons are her blessing. These crests are something that can be inherited. The families and their descendants end up as the nobility despite the lieutenants who got the crests being a huge part of that whole 'committed genocide and hacked up the corpses for power'.

4) Skip a thousand years and Seiros is now going by Rhea and is the pope still. Lots of tension brewing between the various nations and the descendants of the ancient advanced civilization are on the verge of finally making their move when the game starts. Also Rhea's been doing experiments on people to try to bring her mom back to life.

5) These experiments led to Byleth! Who has her mom in their head and has time powers through that. Rhea's goal is to get Sothis to overwrite Byleth and come back to life.

6) Meanwhile the ancient advanced civilization is about to make its move to overthrow Rhea using Edelgard as their cat's paw. She's been horribly experimented on and is at least partially under their control, but she also thinks getting rid of Rhea is a good thing so she's going along with them even though she's also planning on attacking them after.

7) White Clouds happens aka you do dumb school poo poo until Edelgard finally attacks the Monastery and then things start fracturing out based on which route you're playing. But essentially no matter what the continent is in a 3 way war now.

8) The game ends with your chosen country winning in some way. Edelgard or Dimitri (or both!) always end up dead. Claude can always survive because the war is barely relevant to him. Rhea dies or steps down as pope and the advanced civilization evil people are either taken out or uh the player never realizes they exist and they just sort of keep on keeping on.

Mokinokaro posted:

The Eagles characters are great but their route is dominated by Edelgard more than the other paths are by their lords.

Dimitri arguably dominates the Lion route more than anyone else. Especially since literally the only throughline for the route is about him as a character.

Edelgard dominates more of the game than the others since she's the only one who's relevant on every route, but she probably plays a smaller role in Crimson Flower than Dimitri does in Azure Moon. And the game doesn't character assassinate half her house to accomodate that like

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 22, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

What's important when it comes to Holst is what his warrior special line is. If he doesn't have "I think that enemy got the point" among his lines I will be incredibly disappointed.

I didn't realize he was voiced by SungWon Cho. Lmao, though I doubt we'll get any of the top quality Archibald memes here.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So uh, move over Edelgard/Dimitri/Rhea we have new characters who are gonna be central to the discourse

Story spoilers for a few chapters past the demo

Was not expecting Sothis as a villain trying to wrest control of Byleth's body. Also Claude allying with Edelgard over 'gently caress the church' and she tries to talk him down from killing Rhea.

Goddamn this game rules so far

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mang Tomas posted:

Is this a continuation of the base game's story?

Alternate universe that diverges right before 3 House's starts and goes in some wild directions immediately.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Wait then. Then how did Byleth end up coming to the Church's attention?

Byleth does not come to the Church's attention or join Garreg Mach during the White Clouds equivalent period.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

Game is still not unlocking :mad:

Goddammit Nintendo I gotta work tomorrow, I was looking forward to getting a couple hours in tonight before bed.

Restart the console. Worked for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

It looks like putting everybody in their preferred class is the proper choice because if I do not do it, the game punishes me with suboptimal fashion.

You can force people to wear their unique costumes, it'll override most classes. You can also force the generic class costume if you don't like their unique one.

The options are in Shez's tent.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Shez also seems to have absurd growths. I know they have an over 100% speed growth because I've already seen them proc a +2 a few times.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Growths are also weird or I'm getting some very strange luck with them so far. Caspar has higher Magic than Strength which is uh.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Considering you can completely reset a unit's level to redo their growths its got to be some kind of RNG. Which is bizarre as hell considering how the original handled it was basically perfect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Everyone after Hapi/Constance on the Eagles is mostly a POW too. Though there are some hilarious exceptions like Ignatz who joins up because Hubert is super impressed with an ambush he pulls off on you.

Also it might have been uh kinder to not recruit Ashe. Because goddamn [spoiler]you emotionally blackmail him by making him remember how gutted Lonato was when his other son died and he's then just incredibly uncomfortable about fighting anyone from Ferghus[/spoiler]

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

is there a free mode, guys? or is it just a straight campaign to ng+

Once you hit Chapter 5 you can freely replay any previous map and deploy anyone at least. Not sure if it opens even more later.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also for people new to Musous, most of your money is for leveling people up at the trainer. Do so liberally, do not try to only level people up by use in battle. That'll really bite you when you hit battles with restrictions and you can actually use your whole roster.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mabels big day posted:

At what point are advanced classes easily accessible?

Chapter 7 is when you start getting seals, Chapter 8 is when you drown in them

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I mean you have infinite money. Just replay a sidequest battle for like 10k in under 3 minutes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'd really like to know where is that magic sidequest, when most give me 2000-3000 if I bother to S-rank them, the only outliers being the non-repeatable extra quests which give 8000.

Unless the answer is "get on with the game", since I'm in chapter 6 still.

Money scales from sidequests the further in the game you are yeah.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The early stages also don't show the full story because if you do recruit people you will eventually recruit more people they have supports with.

And some later recruits require earlier ones. You can only grab Raphael on SB if you already grabbed Ignatz and then specifically beat him with Ignatz

Also the supports in this game are super good. Hubert and Ferdinand's is absolutely fantastic.

Chinook posted:

Is there any advantage to training in a class I won’t be using? If I’m grinding and replaying missions, I mean. Any potential disadvantage?

I’m not even sure if anything at all carries between classes. To be honest I am a little overwhelmed with all the systems in play.

You can get skills from other classes and unique combat arts. Early on the skills are usually pretty bad, but later you can get some silly good stuff from higher tier classes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also lol they straight up have Lysithea involved in a bunch of SB exclusive scenes unlike everyone else I've recruited so far. This owns.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I made Caspar a brawler, Monica a Wyvern Rider, Hapi a Pegasus Knight and Manuela a Swordmaster. Oh and Shamir a Fortress Knight.

Everyone else I've mostly stuck to their defaults for aesthetic purposes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Priest gets a whole lot better once your units get to higher tier classes and get to attack faster. And then you throw the moveset in the dumpster anyways because lol Gremory and Dark Bishop are ridiculous and neither inherits from Preist.

... actually I think Preist may be the only moveset no Master level class has. You can get the Warrior/Foot-spear/Armored Knight/foot archer movesets by dismounting. Huh.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hubert spends most of Scarlet Blaze's side quests and paralogues finding new ways to be a good friend and it's kind of hilarious.

And then you recruit Shamir and you do it by promising you won't kill Catherine

Goddamn Shamir and Ashe really do not want to be here. Everyone else has kind of settled in but they're both still very 'I'm here because you threatened someone I love and now I need to fight other people I love. No poo poo I'm not happy'

Tae posted:

How does recruitment work, can you only do it with certain characters controlled? I recruited Hapi while playing as edelguard, but killed Constance while using Petra and had the strategies to recruit both.

Most you can do with anyone. The strategy will tell you if you need to do it with a specific person and will warn you if you try to deploy without them. On SB so far this has been Raphael needing Ignatz and Mercedes needing Jeritza

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I was a bit surprised when I recruited Petra and got a cutscene of Edelgard saying "with her defection I guess we'll have to actually conquer her kingdom". Both interesting it was acknowledged and ice cold.

Yeah they acknowledge basically every recruit. SB has some fun cutscenes with Claude where he's like 'Well almost half the class is here, the ones that didn't go work for the Empire'

Eimi posted:

That Shamir stuff is surprising given how she gladly sides with Edelgard in CF. Doubly so given how loving ice cold she is when she kills Catherine.
C: We have nothing in common, not our backgrounds or our beliefs.
S: Not the way we lived, or the way you'll die

I think it makes sense though, relationships shouldn't track 1:1 with 3 Houses because there's a huge period of time where things are going radically differently. In 3 Houses Shamir leaves immediately and joins up with the Empire when Edelgard declares war. In 3 Hopes she's spent at least another 3 years partnered with Catherine and doesn't leave willingly. I can understand how the same person would react radically differently in those circumstances

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 26, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Inu posted:

Is there any point to mastering lots of classes on different paths? I still haven't figured out what exactly I'm getting from mastering classes, but I have some intermediate seals, and I have characters who have finished mastering intermediate classes.

Also, now that I have the blacksmith and can upgrade weapon durability, I'm wondering what that even is...

I haven't had a weapon break on me mid-battle, and I'm not surprised since you only get one per character, so if weapons don't break, what is durability even for?

Durability is used for your spells/weapon art attacks.

And yeah you get other skills and weapon arts/spells for mastering other classes. But most of it is fluff until you're really trying to minmax a character, you're perfectly fine just taking people down a single line you like.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

On Azur Gleam, there's been some... interesting implications behind the recruitment one person in particular. Specifically, Petra. There's a very ugly implication that she's only fighting for the Empire because she personally likes her classmates, and she's been promised/threatened things regarding Brigid. She flat out says in camp lines that she gives exactly zero shits about fighting Empire troops, she just doesn't want to kill her classmates. There's also story scenes after the first chapter about happenings in the Alliance and Empire. The Empire one is notable in that it changes if you recruit her, because Hubert comes back and reports that Petra was captured rather than killed, and Edelgard gives an extremely uncomfortable "We'll have to... reconsider... our stance on Brigid" line.

On the other hand, Hapi was only part of the Empire army because someone (probably Constance) dragged her there after the battle of Garreg Mach - she's super unenthusiastic in her opening battle line, and her camp dialogue mentions how it'd be really awkward to run into "someone", but other than that she's basically perfectly fine switching sides. Though this does bring up the somewhat amusing issue of Hubert dragging said incredibly low morale and unenthusiastic leader along on the super important mission for some reason.

I think its also really interesting that character deaths can play a huge role.

Like in SB Ingrid gets merked really early and its one of the biggest reasons the rest of the Blue Lions have for continuing what they see as a losing war and not joining up with the Empire even after the Alliance gets involved. Because none of them want to betray what she died for.

And it tracks too, the only Lions you can recruit on SB you do before Ingrid dies. And both of them are special cases that you emotionally blackmail them into (Ashe being blackmailed with how Lonato will feel to lose another son, Mercedes with Jeritza crying). And neither of them really wants to be there and will keep talking about how much they regret it.

Meanwhile you can poach 5/8 of the Deer and most of them get on board with the Empire real quick.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

And me? I just noticed that there's an "optimize" button on the character convoy screen that just autofills all the gear, abilities, battalions, and combat arts

No idea how optimal it really is (especially if you're going crazy and mastering every class so as not to waste training points) but it's nice to have for when you're feeling lazy.

Actually speaking of mechanics, I have a question; what exactly does the orange bonus icon next to party members mean? The one that appears on two people who haven't fought in a while, the one that's there to encourage you to cycle in lesser-used characters.

I know it gives you a catch-up bonus, I just can't specifically remember what, and I can't find the info anywhere else either. Is it bonus level xp, or class mastery?

It just gives a level XP bonus for everyone at the end of the stage. I think its 20% per bonus star character you have deployed?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sinner Sandwich posted:

So, I'm at the end of Chapter 10 of Scarlet Blaze, and am divided on whether or not to recruit Byleth and Jeralt or kill Jeralt because I've looked at both parts of the split, and the latter seems to be the intended solution -- with two very in-depth cutscenes and a lot of pathos, but someone in this thread mentioned an 'early ending'. Am I screwing myself over if I choose one over the other, here?

I'm perfectly happy to kill Byleth, I'm more interested in getting the most out of this route.

Doing the second cuts out the ending and leaves things more ambiguous.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also like Shez is totally over it by that point. Its Arval who keeps aggressively pushing to kill Sothis for their own reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Though it is incredibly funny to me that after all the ~discourse~

Claude is the one who hates Rhea personally while Edelgard actually works with her.

Also Claude is sketchy AF and it kinda rules since he actually gets to do things now.