Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Ignatz goes from tepid to surprisingly good Mage once he unlocks the Cutting Gale spell. Nothing is like having two wind blades rotating around you and protecting your rear end and taking you from easily ganged upon by officers to easily catching all of them in a Critical Rush.

Lorenz is also a standout. His Unique Action is surprisingly useful to continue your attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

My complaint is that mages play like rear end in this game. And there's like 1/3 of the cast are mages.

Mage is good and can be workable, but it depends on the character's spell list and other abilities. Shez, Lorenz, and Ignatz actually make fine mages I've found because Shez and Lorenz have unique actions that benefit the class and Ignatz has Cutting Gale that summons two wind blades that rotate around him, giving him breathing room, a stun gauge exposer, and additional damage and stun gauge damage (due to the blades hovering around him) for a brief period of time and, on a lesser scale, his unique action which lets him use his regular attack finisher and his C4 to spread a lot of paint around the battlefield with enough mooks. The attack spells also give them additional ways to expose the stun gauge of enemies, and when leveled up, basic spells become cheap as poo poo.

Priest is... bordering on unsalvageable. The regular combo string has a very bad habit of pushing everyone out of the C5 which would have been really useful otherwise, and it's not as skilled as the mage in terms of magic attacks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah mages are super good. You have great range variability on your moves and tons of fantastic AoE, and the class skill is a death machine gun that absolutely murders stun meters.

Priest is weird. You have to be super duper aware of your ranges on that class in a way that most classes don't need to give a poo poo about, and I think that's why it feels weak and awkward. The damage is certainly there if you can actually land the moves, but it's really easy to constantly gently caress up your own combos if your positioning is wrong. You have to play them really really close, which is hugely counterintuitive.

Marianne is a fantastic priest, because her passive gives her tons of aoe crowd control which allows her to mash up into peoples' faces to do priest things safely. The problem is that she's just as good of a mage.

I find that even with Marianne's unique action, the Priest Moveset still pushes people a bit too far, but yeah, she might be manageable as a Priest.

Also, you want to take each character through their preferred classes because the Combat Arts and Spells that you learn through a character's pref class can also be taught to others through that character. Shez can teach a character Windsweep, Lorenz can teach a character Frozen Lance, Claude can teach a character Break Shot, etc.

Terper posted:

Billy Kametz, Ferdinand's voice actor, has sadly passed away due to his cancer. Three Hopes is the last game he was known to work on, and his role as Ferdie is unquestionably a huge part of what made the character so loveable.

Cancer loving sucks, man.

May his soul rest in peace.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

With confirmation that Marianne can teach the Physic spell to anyone who meets the requirements, I think we can safely say that the majority of skills learned through a character's preferred class is a skill the character will be able to teach another character. I've confirmed that Shez can teach Windsweep, Claude and Ignatz can teach Break Shot, Lorenz can teach Frozen Lance, Lysithea can teach Swarm Z, Marianne can teach Physic, and Leonie can teach Glowing Ember.

As a note, these are the skills learned by a character in their preferred class:

Shez: Windsweep
Edelgard: Shredder
Hubert: Mire B
Ferdinand: Glowing Ember
Linhardt: Physic
Caspar: Invigorating Spirit
Bernadetta: Drill Arrow
Dorothea: Thoron
Petra: Shadowblade
Dimitri: Frozen Lance
Dedue: Lightning Axe
Felix: Firesweep
Ashe: Drill Arrow
Sylvain: Glowing Ember
Mercedes: Physic
Annette: Cutting Gale
Ingrid: Stormblade (Maybe; might be like Point-Blank Volley in that it's considered unteachable due to being something every Pegasus Knight learns)
Claude: Break Shot
Hilda: Spike
Lorenz: Frozen Lance
Raphael: Draining Blow
Ignatz: Break Shot
Lysithea: Swarm Z
Marianne: Physic
Leonie: Glowing Ember]
Manuela: Ward
Shamir: Break Shot
Jeritza: Glowing Ember
Rodrigue: Frozen Lance
Monica: Bolganone

Those in bold have been confirmed by me.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

i might be a dumbass, but how exactly do you go about teaching skills like that

Pair up the teacher and the one you want to teach them to. Teacher must be the active unit, while the student must be the Adjutant.

Teacher must have mastered the Art/Spell you want to teach. (Reach Lv. 3 in the Art/Spell.)

Student must have an A Rank in the weapon type corresponding to the Art you want to teach them. For spells (any spell), A Rank in Tomes is enough.

Student cannot learn the Art/Spell if they already learn it by default/through classes.

Teacher must use the Art/Spell in battle until the Adjutant learns it.

A tutorial explaining this stuff will pop up once you master your first ability that can be taught to others.

So far, the requirement for a teacher to be able to teach an Art/Spell to a student is that it must be something they learn through their preferred classes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You need 80 achievement points for the first advanced seals, and while I haven't crunched the numbers, I think that's theoretically doable with a lot of grinding. I've hit 40 with no concerted effort whatsoever.

Though I get the impression advanced classes aren't actually available in the demo; they don't show up in the class menu even when you master an intermediate class.

It's absolutely doable with enough grinding.

Also, thanks to the latest update, I have managed to figure out what is likely to 99% be Shez's actual learned spells once you get through the classes needed:

quote:

Reason:
Blizzard
Mire B
Banshee Θ
Luna Λ

Faith:
Heal
Nosferatu
Physic

Spoilers are the ones we can't confirm through the demo because their data has been mostly scrubbed from it. I cross-referenced Shez with other notable characters who learn dark magic to figure out which spells they were.

It's actually a rather good reason spell list by offensive mage standards and a decent faith spell list by support mage standards. It is also very plain to see that Shez's spell list very heavily contrasts Byleth's spell list, not only by having a better and more interesting Reason spell list over Byleth's in exchange for a worse Faith list, but also in how his preference for dark magic contrasts Byleth's preference for light magic as their main offensive magic.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 15, 2022

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

Oh, that's nice. I was disappointed that Shez seemed to learn regular magic, since Arval clearly is somehow related to the Agartheans and every character involved with them learns dark magic, so glad to know this actually still holds true. Wonder if Monica will learn anything like that as well, although she was only kidnapped so Kronya could replace her a year or so down the line / so that her father would hand over his relic, so I figure that doesn't count.
Blizzard being the default and sole Black Magic spell appears to initially contrast with Byleth's heavy focus on Fire spells. However, Arval's Awakening seems to be what shifts Shez's spell focus to Dark Magic as a contrast to Byleth's Faith magic being more offensive than most Faith spell users. Moreover, M!Shez can learn Essence of Darkness; the Dark version of Mercie's Essence of Light.

As for Monica, Looking over the data, she does in fact seem to be able to learn two Dark spells, Swarm Ζ and Hades Ω (the latter determined by process of elimination), in addition to the non-elemental Meteor (also determined by process of elimination).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Also, thanks to the latest update, I have managed to figure out what is likely to 99% be Shez's actual learned spells once you get through the classes needed:

I am stupid and forgot to account for Shez's exclusive promoted class; Asura! He learns one additional spell when you train the Asura class.

quote:

Reason:

Blizzard
Mire B
Banshee Θ
Luna Λ
Dark Spikes Τ

Faith:

Heal
Nosferatu
Physic

Shez now learns the same amount of spells as Byleth does, and with a clear focus on Reason spells, especially Dark Magic.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Through more cross-referencing and process of elimination, have the spell lists of Monica, Rodrigue, and Holst:

quote:

Monica

Reason

Fire
Bolganone
Swarm Ζ
Meteor
Hades Ω

Faith

Heal
Nosferatu
Restore
Aura

Rodrigue

Reason:

Thunder
Fire
Thoron

Faith:

Heal
Nosferatu
Fortify
Aura

and finally...

Holst

Reason:

Thunder
Sagittae
Thoron
Bolting

Faith:

Heal
Nosferatu
Recover
Seraphim

Monica and Rodrigue generally conform to their archetypes of caster and "perfect for Holy Knight" respectively. Holst meanwhile not only is a better mage than Hilda is by having the standard fighter/caster hybrid of eight spells in total including high level spells and a non-elemental spell on his list, but also coupled with his preferred classes means he is actually tailor-made to become a Mortal Savant, with a specialization in lightning attacks, especially given that Holst, like Hilda, also learns "Essence of Lightning", and also being the only male who learns naturally learns Bolting, period. Why couldn't he be playable in Three Houses...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Lysithea was the one unit who could be recruited after chapter 13 in Three Houses, solely to give players one last chance at getting her to her correct faction.

If there are any recruitment mechanics in the game at all (I can’t imagine there won’t be), this will have to be an option.

You could also recruit Ashe and rerecruit Lorenz on certain routes after post-skip as well, I believe.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Overbite posted:

Did they mention any sort of mission mode? That was my favorite part of the first fire emblem warriors and I want to pick my favorite characters and make a dream team instead of being stuck with one house.

No. The battle missions in a chapter that isn't the main mission already serve a similiar purpose.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Golden Wildfire Characters from best to worst in my own opinion:

Shez
Claude
Lorenz
Marianne
Raphael
Ignatz/Shamir
Leonie
Hilda
Lysithea

Of note, I can't say anyone of them are quite bad, but some of them have more useful abilities than others.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I suspect Lysithea will get pretty strong once she's in higher tier classes. Mages seem to scale harder than a lot of the melee.

Quite likely, however, this rating of Lysithea is mostly based on her unique capabilities, like her unique action, which I'm actually rather disappointed with.

Either way, as this is based on what we have available in the demo, it could change once we get the full game to play with, but Lorenz's Sheik-esque shield ability is going to be rather hard to top at the moment.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Standard functions for the Charge Attacks in Three Hopes' classes:

C1 - Unique move specific to the class. (Much like in the original Fire Emblem Warriors)

C2 - Launcher.

C3 - Stun Gauge depleter.

C4 - Knockback attack.

C5 - Gathering attack with high damage.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Honestly the most surprising thing from the possible leak is (presumably very, very late game spoilers) Rhea is playable on all 3 routes. What the gently caress kinda turnaround is gonna happen for Eddy to consider her anything but a block to rest her axe in?

Given certain mechanics I've been spoilt on, it's likely that she is a bonus character that is unlockable through renown than actually being playable in the story proper.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zore posted:

or uh the player never realizes they exist and they just sort of keep on keeping on.

Technically true, but Hapi's ending indicate that they do not survive even then, and all of their most powerful leaders were killed off earlier than usual including the guy who is the one in charge of their nuke system, so the remnants were forced to rally around Edelgard for that route as their one final chance at seeing their plans realized.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

I ordered a physical copy cause I just like doing that for console games so I am just furiously following the tracker.

My own order was delayed, but I know to expect it on 28th of June, so I'm not waiting too long either way.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Sydin posted:

FYI for digital purchase folks, I'm now seeing multiple sites saying the game will most likely unlock tonight at 12AM EST/9PM PST for people in the US. Tried to find stuff for UK/Europe but nobody's listing anything specific that I could find.

Probably around midnight, hopefully.

Also, I looked through the full datamine and (SPOILERS IN REGARDS TO CHARACTERS AND CLASSES!) the only character exclusive movesets appear to be the ones for the three lords + Shez + Byleth. Saint and Death Knight replace Mortal Savant and Dark Knight for the repective characters using those classes, so it's likely that those classes use the movesets for the classes they replace, rather than have exclusive movesets for themselves.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

Has there been any more info on how the weapon system will work? Namely will topsy turvy return? Because having that and the freeform class system, suddenly Eagles glut of mages turns into a major strength.

Invert Physical/Magical as a weapon skill was a thing in the demo, you know.

I haven't seen it on weapons other than tomes yet though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know this isn't what you wanted, but Edelgard also makes a solid mage, because her fire ability gives a huge range buff to the mage's YYX strong attack.

You mean YYYX (C4) because that's the Fire attack.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

It’s out in my timezone (gmt+1) so assume midnight release in your own time zone
Same for me too, I just got the game up and running!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Caidin posted:

Chapter 5 of Golden Wildfire. I know it's a moment playing to his strengths but Holst is totally nuts. Also Baltie Get!

Holst is great! His unique action is to boost his own attack speed and add lightning to his attacks so of course I'm going to make him a mainstay of my army.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

But is one of his lines "I think that enemy got...the point"?

I don't think so, Holst is a bit more of a serious guy.

Incidentally, his magic list looks great! Thunder, Sagittae, Thoron, and Bolting sounds like a very solid list (especially because I've used three of those spells before, so I know how good they are in this game) especially with Essence of Lightning being part of his Warlock learnset, and he has access to Seraphim if you can get yourself to Bishop. Not to mention how his actual Magic stat is leaps and bounds better than most characters.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

speaking of magic, my shez has had some weird stat growths and not only is her magic stat slightly higher than her strength, it's higher than lysithea's. very worth your while to invest in training her to use it, she makes for a fun mixed attacker

Kanos posted:

Shez's base class comes with some magic already so I think you're actually meant to do this by default.

Shez makes a thousand times a better mage than Byleth did, and considering they learn Banshee, Luna, and Dark Spikes as potential spells, and thus fills out their Reason spell list entirely, I wonder if it has to do with making them kind of the opposite of Byleth in ability in every way. They really played up their association with darkness (and Reason magic by extension, considering their Faith list is considerably smaller and more support-focused compared to Byleth being more offensive-focused with their Faith spell list). Especially if you went with Male Shez because he gets access to the Dark Mage line and Essence of Darkness, which I'm not saying no to.

Either way, I like that the game went out of it's way to give us more magic-capable boys; especially since Dark Bishop became a Master Class in this game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Okay, I'm calling it now, but the best dark magic users will likely be Male Shez, Hubert, and Male Arval because Essence of Darkness is disgusting as an ability if you're focused on using dark-based attacks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

Playing on hard is quite the difference from the demo and my FEW endgame save. It's quite a pain to get S ranks, they are insanely tight! Like only take 40% damage and do it in 7 minutes, while I remember FEW S ranks more in the region of 15 mins and 80% so quite the change.

As well speaking of difficulty clearing the crowds, how combos work has absolutely changed. FEW had a pretty standard combo layout of launcher, aoe, guard opener, guard breaker, biggest most powerful but slow move that hits the whole screen. I can't quite figure out what each combo is good for, and it almost feels like it varies by class now. I certainly have no idea how to easily rack up the kills, especially as one hit trash kills are out. (well maybe til I upgrade weapons.)

Going by the Warlock class:

C1: A special move based on class.

C2: Launcher.

C3: Stun Gauge depletion

C4: Knockback move (knocks enemies back)

C5: Crowdgathering move with good damage

C6: High-damage crowdclearer

If an attack has an element associated with it, it becomes more awesome with an essence or with an ability that gives you that element for your attacks. (i.e. Warlock's C3 and C6 are Lightning moves, so Holst's unique action or Essence of Lightning will make them even better.)

How good those moves are varies on the class, and the Archer moveset swaps the knockback move for something else, but this is basically what each move does.

Blaziken386 posted:

sad to see that lorenz is, once again, kind of trash stat-wise

great character, but his str and mag are both 10 points behind the physical and magic focused units... which only makes him look worse when compared to Shez, who can actually use both at the same time already, and is in the top echelon of the entire army. Granted, Shez has the innate bonus of "being the protagonist" but still. RIP Lorenz, at least this game has the ability to re-roll stats.

(yes i know musou games dont have nearly as much focus on character stats over weapon stats but its still funny)

I focused him into magic-wielding classes, and he's currently a magic monster who just. Doesn't. Die! because of his unique action.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Wow, Holst. They talked him up in Three Houses so much and they don't disappoint once they finally give him to you in this game. Dude straight up feels like Lu Bu compared to everyone else you have when you can play him.

His unique action is awesome, since it gives you more attack speed and adds the lightning element to his attacks. In addition, Holst is good on both sides of the physical/magical attack spectrum, as he learns all three lightning-elemental spells + Sagittae and Seraphim and can use enhanced versions of them if he uses his Unique Action or equips Essence of Lightning from Warlock + he learns every lightning-based combat art in the game, so you're not locked out of his elemental specialization (even if you decide to use him in other classes); and it also means that Holst is able to use the full potential of the Mortal Savant class compared to other units. It also helps that since Holst starts as a Swordmaster, he naturally starts at B Sword rank which makes his sword movesets a lot faster than your other sword-using units.

Speaking of; moveset progression in this game is tied to your character's weapon rank. I haven't completely maxed out the weapon rank, but I think it's basically like this:

E: Basic YYYY attack string. three Strong Attacks in addition to the class's Class Action for that weapon, for a total of four C#s.
D: Basic attack string for that weapon type improved to YYYYY.
C: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of five C#s
C+: Basic attack string for that weapon type improved to YYYYYY
B: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of six C#s
B+: Basic attack string maxed out at YYYYYYY
A: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of seven C#s

There's also a passive effect connected to increasing your weapon rank: Movesets using that weapon type have increased attack speed meaning that combos and attacks you used before that were liable to miss will now connect much better and give you better time to react (i.e. a character with B rank tomes will, in addition to having the expanded moveset, attack faster with all the Tome-using classes than a character with E rank does). It is also possible that it improves upon other things as well. The Monk > Priest > Bishop moveset for example is a lot better to use with B or B+ rank Tomes than when it was at E rank as the higher attack speed means that it is much easier to connect with stuff like C3 or C5, gripes I had with that moveset before.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

This is very good to know. Is there a way to improve weapon rank outside of progressing to a more advanced class?

No, but you only need to advance in one class that uses that weapon type to improve your rank (so, like, Myrmidon > Thief > Assassin > Trickster and Myrmidon > Mercenary > Sword Master > Mortal Savant are both equally valid progressions to get your weapon rank high enough, and that will help you if you decide to advance in the other line because you then have improved attack speed and the entire moveset of the class unlocked for you to play with right from the start). About the only thing that stays with a class is the Class Action, so if you decided to class back down to Monk, you would have the basic non-chargeable Luminance class action that Priest and Bishop improve upon; but you would keep your entire expanded moveset and the increased attack speed.

Another thing to note is that with moveset progression being tied to weapon rank, it means class movesets that lack Advanced or Master variants will never be cheated out of a full moveset.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

i think one of the funniest parts of three hopes is the fact that it inverts which hero's relics are good

Three Houses' equipment relics (mostly thyrsus) have really nice stats and passive skills and are great because there's really not a lot of stuff that has those skills. (ie: there's like 3 different things that buff magic range and thyrsus is one of them) Meanwhile the weapons are cool but fuuuuck grinding umbral steel so you use 'em for important fights and thats it

But then in Three Hopes, you have poo poo like Freikugel that A: has much more damage than most axes, B: has much more durability than most axes, C: has a unique weapon art where you cause a volcanic explosion, and D: can be spammed without fear. And then you have Thyrsus which gives you +3 Mag. :v:

also speaking of equipment I found a camp that was giving out either a knowledge gem or an experience gem and I have to wonder why anyone would pick the latter when mastering classes gets you skills/arts and levels can be bought for chump change

Thyrsus also occasionally negates an attack.

Though, you gotta see what it's forge skill is because every weapon has a Forge skill in this game, and the Hero's Relics start lagging behind in MT when you can't forge them yet.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

It is inherent in Three Hopes

Yeah. Weapon Triangle is much more important here than it was in Three Houses, and about as important as in FEW and standard FE games.

DC Murderverse posted:

Inexplicable Support Content, part 2: (Annette/Shez) Why does noted not-thinker Shez know so much about literary critical theory?

Shez might be kinda dumb, but he does seem to be able to reason for himself. If nothing else, he has a full Reason Spell list, so if he was a Three Houses unit, he would probably have a Budding Talent in Reason. Would make for a nice foil to Byleth too.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Inu posted:

Is that why I sometimes can't do a combat art or spell in the middle of a mission? Is it something like, the more durability your weapon has, the more times you can use the combat art in a single map?

Yes. Also, using your combat arts will level them up which induces a flat 2 decrease for a total of 4 decrease in durability cost when you master a Combat Art/Spell at Lv. 3, which means the more you use it in battle, the more you'll be able to use it in general.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah it's totally hidden until you master the class. There's a tab for it ("Innate Abilities") on the extremely useful datamine google doc.Most of them seem to correspond to classes that match each character's Budding Talent skill from Three Houses which is neat

Holst's Innate Ability being hidden behind the Dark Bishop just makes me want to use him a lot more since they're basically telling me that he will do really well as a magic user.

Also, with Warlock and Sniper unlocked on Ignatz, both the Mage and Sniper moveset become really good for him because both C6es of those classes lets him spread his paint and they are really good for doing so. In fact, I daresay that he becomes one of the better archers once he gets to Sniper.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Are Monica and Freddie alive by the end :ohdear:?

I think it's implied that Ferdinand was also killed by TWSITD. No idea on Monica, but I will say that despite the War with the Empire still being ongoing in that route, the fact that they have effectively lost their new top brass (because Hubert and Ferdie are essentially implied to be dead and Edelgard is effectively in no shape to lead them and will not be able to for years to come) doesn't bode too well for them as a whole on that route.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kanos posted:

"Bad dads whose kids end up okay" is kind of a common thing in Fodlan.

Except for Lorenz and his dad according to this game. Lorenz and his father are similiar in some ways, with one of the main differences between them being that Count Gloucester is quite a bit more of a realist about the situation, likely due to being an experienced noble and politician within the notoriously cutthroat Leicester politics. So I guess we have yet a parallel of comparison between Ferdinand and Lorenz where both are likely going to end up as better leaders than their fathers but Ferdinand becomes a better leader by renouncing his father's ways, while Lorenz becomes a better leader by emulating some of his father's methods and rejecting others (and also by having a much better working relationship with the Alliance leader).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I have a feeling that DLC characters are gonna be:

Hanneman, Cyril, Alois, and Gilbert as characters who you can use in the story.

Anna as a free mode exclusive character.

One character each from the Empire, Kingdom, and Alliance factions, who will be usable during the story of their respective factions. (The three mystery slots.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zore posted:

Hmm, Bergleitz/Judith/???? for the mystery slots. Not sure who would really fit in for the Kingdom one.

And yeah, I'm kinda salty Hanneman and Alois aren't already playable considering all their data is in and their models. And they show up in the story. Literally the only thing that really seems to be missing for them is a unique class unlock.

If nothing else; Hanneman and Alois, along with Cyril and Gilbert, have likes/dislikes in food, which means it's possible for them to take part in anything that requires you to spend Activity Points. (Anna doesn't, which is why I think she will be a Free Mode exclusive character.)

As for the three mystery candidates, I think Count Gloucester is likely as a candidate for Golden Wildfire as well. He could be another potential Dark Knight pref guy which would give us another chance at Titanic Might as a teachable Combat Art, and while this is just my own speculation; I think the three mystery slots are reserved for characters who make their debut in this game (so Count Bergliez is who I think is most likely for our Empire candidate as well).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bruceski posted:

For the wizard moveset if you get up in someone's face and use weak-weak-strong for lightning strikes their stun gauge disintigrates. It's been a solid tool for me playing on hard once I figured that out instead of just doing YYYX Wind area control.

Oh yeah, that too. C3 on Mage and Dark Mage movesets are amazing for stun gauge damage.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kanos posted:

My Lysithea vaporizes anything she attacks and does thousands of damage with any magic weapon art, but if I position her slightly poorly some random grunt enemies will walk up and stab her for hundreds of damage while she's casting, or some archer I didn't see charging an attack because of all the particle effects of the combo finishers will shoot her for 3/4 of her life bar.

Comparatively most of the non-axe physical classes fly around nonstop during all of their combos so it's extremely easy to just not ever get hit.

I don't think I've ever had that problem, but my mages are Shez, Ignatz, Lorenz, and Holst, so I might have some rose-tinted glasses on.

Kanos posted:

Lorenz is a god tier anything. Despite his mediocre stats you can stack every single "increase damage but take more damage" skill in the world on him and it doesn't matter because his unique skill will bounce all incoming attacks while you mash like a baboon.

Lorenz is definitely one of the best characters in this game in my opinion. Rose barrier is such a great unique passive.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Some spells and combat arts can be passed along if
-you've gotten them to level 3
-they're one of the "teachable" spells (ie: not something normally learned by certain classes)
-you have a C-rank support with the other character
-the other character has an A-rank in that specific weapon class
-the learner is assigned as an adjuntant and you use the combat art in question a bunch

it's... extremely finicky? and given that you can only use 2 combat arts anyways, generally not worth the effort. But you can do it.
most likely it'll be useful in the event of like, eventual maddening difficulty DLC requiring minmaxing

As a general rule, in addition to those requirements, a combat art or spell is teachable to someone if you learn it from your preferred classes and the art/spell isn't a universally learned art/spell.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Yeah i agree, the best FE game has the story take place from the perspective of someone who, as far as they are aware, is entirely an outsider to the primary plot, and even in the end they basically are (ike, im talking about ike)

So yeah, 3houses would be way better if the main character was Lorenz

At least Lorenz gets to be stupidly broken in this game. Rondo of Roses is a fantastic unique action and it synergizes pretty well with just about any class, makes Wild Abandon even better, and his ability learnset otherwise has Big Game Hunter, Dual Onslaught, Offensive Tactics, Essence of Fire, and Proficient Witstrike (Innate Ability), all of which he can make good use of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Arval is the same gender as Shez; they're a dark bishop if you pick guy Shez. And like Shez, can only get the incredibly useful Essence of Darkness ability if male.

I don't know why.

Eimi posted:

Huh. That might just be a mechanical thing because I am pretty sure I have never heard them referred to as anything but them during gameplay? Weird.

Once again gently caress gender lock.

The implication is that Arval, an artificial creation, takes on the gender of the person used as their vessel. Their original self; Epimenides is male, and is referred to as such, but Arval is implied to have kinda become their own entity in regards to how Shez has influenced them despite Epimenides's goals subconsciously giving them purpose, and non-binary pronouns are thus used for them.

Because the gender variants work like the Three Houses variants where the opposite gender can get the skills from the other gender if you swap during a NG+, it's mostly whatever you use for Shez and Arval as you can do just fine as a hybrid character with both genders in the normal hybrid classes with access to the Dark element. You are however required to do a playthrough using the male versions so that you can actually access Essence of Darkness in all cases (and you want to because Banshee, Luna, and Dark Spikes are all really good spells in Three Hopes, and benefit incredibly from the increased AoE they get with that ability), and I think Dark Bishop is the better class to use if you want either Shez or Arval to be a tome-toting spellcaster.