Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cloacamazing! posted:

I also found my only complaint about this game on the Black Eagle route: Bernie and Hubert only get a C support. This is completely unacceptable. Felix and Annette also only go up to B.
what the gently caress

is this even the golden route if they cant get married???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

one downside of this game is it seems like characters don't get their special A-move unless they're in their intended class, which means you can't experiment too much because otherwise you dont get cool and/or funny poo poo like this

KittyEmpress posted:

Sylvain is one of the most fun characters to play in this. Make him a thief and abuse his 'my range goes up as I get more hits' to clear entire rooms and accidentally guard break people you didn't even see behind you.

He is also absurdly good with fist weapons due to his increased range.

Amusingly, lances seem to be the second worst weapons to take advantage of this (the worst being magic, since it doesn't seem to benefit at all).
I reclassed Sylvain to use gauntlets due to no one else on BL route defaulting to that and, uh, holy gently caress. He just loving ORA ORA ORAs his way through everything, doesn't he

Also, fun fact: apparently they adjusted the character heights in this game, because "cutscenes outside of 2D backgrounds" means that they can actually move the camera a little bit - in Three Houses, they kinda fudged the heights of some characters by making them float because otherwise they wouldn't show up in frame. Now they don't have to do that!
https://twitter.com/_saoas/status/1535526125966725121

This, of course, now shows off just how hilariously tiny Lysithea actually is. :3:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i might be a dumbass, but how exactly do you go about teaching skills like that

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i started the Black Eagles route after finishing basically everything i could in Golden Deer/Blue Lions and goddamn i forgot how much edelgard rules. Shes so good. Her explicitly going after monica and saying "to hell with the careful planning, im taking a gamble to save my friend" has only made her more excellent.

Also, hubert, my boy. I also forgot how loving funny it is that he's essentially a loving looming vampire who constantly talks in ominous trailing sentences.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Pair up the teacher and the one you want to teach them to. Teacher must be the active unit, while the student must be the Adjutant.

Teacher must have mastered the Art/Spell you want to teach. (Reach Lv. 3 in the Art/Spell.)

Student must have an A Rank in the weapon type corresponding to the Art you want to teach them. For spells (any spell), A Rank in Tomes is enough.

Student cannot learn the Art/Spell if they already learn it by default/through classes.

Teacher must use the Art/Spell in battle until the Adjutant learns it.

A tutorial explaining this stuff will pop up once you master your first ability that can be taught to others.

So far, the requirement for a teacher to be able to teach an Art/Spell to a student is that it must be something they learn through their preferred classes.
ah, and here I thought this was something I already could do that I missed. Unless you devote a fanatical amount of time to grinding, you can't even do that yet, right? Since weapon level is class-dependent.

neat mechanic, though. Reminds me of the early disgaea games, where the only way to make characters like Flonne useful was to have a generic mage sit on them for a few battles.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

doesnt the opening cutscene of three hopes kind of spoil one of the Big Twists* in three houses? this game seems like its very much expecting you to have obsessively played the first

*okay so Flayn and Seteth are about as obvious as can be but they ATTEMPT to hide the fact that they're Old As Balls

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i think the weirdest thing about this game is the fact that some support levels dont include support conversations, just the rank. I got Claude & Marianne to Rank C and the game was just like "oh, good job." but nothing else.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Obviously Edelgard is the correct pairing for female Byleth, but there's some real questionable power dynamics at play if you really want to go there.
the power dynamics are what make it extremely good

having the hots for your improbably young teacher is a cornerstone of the yuri genre

(besides, when she becomes emperor the power dynamic inverts dramatically so I never understood the Harsh Discourse surrounding edeleth in the first place)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Well, post timeskip they can also teach you, and the classroom is replaced by a war council of sorts
oh fukc now every ship is problematique

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i put lysithea in pegasus knight because she already mastered both mage and priest, (because mastermind is loving busted as a personal skill) and now im sincerely hoping that Dark Flyer makes it into this game so that she can once again experience her true calling as an unstoppable fighter jet

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

dorothea is also one of the characters whose new design is sadly worse than her original timeskip outfit

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

it only just occurred to me that the Ashen Wolves are absolutely going to be Byleth's faction, solely because they have "Ashen" in the name. There's absolutely no chance they won't be.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

It makes sense for the Faerghus faction at least. They’re duty/honor/loyalty fixated and many are friends from birth.

Lysithea, though? A very limited lifespan to throw in with some guy you just met who oozes “I am up to something”.
lysithea only got like 3 weeks of formal education and she's determined to be The Best Mage™. Therefore the next best thing is to join up with the nearest army and practice by setting thousands of enemy soldiers on fire. Clearly.

lunar detritus posted:

i'm unironically excited about the plot having those fanfiction time travel tropes.
:yeah:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

His mom and Mist are the only people who can touch the Fire Emblem without going insane. And his dad was the best swordsman in the world. And he's literally the only person in the world able to wield Ragnell. They also sort of do a weird thing where they've retroactively turned Aether into something you get through a royal bloodline but that wasn't a thing in FE9 so it can mostly be ignored.

He's definitely the closest we've gotten though.
correct me if i'm wrong, but does ike ever actually touch the fire emblem? I could've sworn that only mist (and the herons) ever does, because one time he tried to touch it as a kid and his dad (understandably) flipped his poo poo.
And i always saw "mist can touch it without going insane" as "mist is noble and pure and doesn't have violent urges that she would act on anyways so its fine" which is very funny considering you can very easily make her into an absolute monster of a unit

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

found a video of the various unique quotes in new Fire Emblem and

monica, please

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Also the conceit of this game and the playable characters are kind of a hilarious juxtaposition. Cutting through literal hundreds of mooks makes sense as Shez or Byleth or Catherine or Dimitri, but it kind of falls apart when you think a little bit about how or why Manuela is a whirlwind of death with her fists if you class her that way
every man she kills is someone who rejected her in the past

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Quite likely, however, this rating of Lysithea is mostly based on her unique capabilities, like her unique action, which I'm actually rather disappointed with.

Either way, as this is based on what we have available in the demo, it could change once we get the full game to play with, but Lorenz's Sheik-esque shield ability is going to be rather hard to top at the moment.
Lysithea's unique skill is very funny when you have her in a class that has more moves that generate knockback. I experimented with her in pegasus knight and she essentially used the slew of corpses she generated to carpet bomb everyone else

mage attacks just dont have as much knockback, is all

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

And like yeah, the rest of Blue Lions are just boring and I can't even be bothered to remember their names. What a massive step backwards from how cool Black Eagles are.

Defiance Industries posted:

If I can just have Felix walk straight forward and massacre everything in front of him then it's an accurate retelling of 3H

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Felix = Sasuke Uchiha. Don’t cut your hand on the edge. Jerk but he’s got a heart of gold
its funny that he gets compared to sasuke, because his three hopes design is really a dead ringer for itachi

red eyes*, perpetual tired lines on his face, and hair pulled back but with just a few strands hanging in front of the eyes to frame the face. thats an uchiha, babey

e: *yes i know his eyes are technically orange, but the lighting of the 3D models makes them look red

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

its hosed up that the game is preloaded on my switch but i cant play it yet. this is taunting me. im being taunted. nintendo should be nice to me and unlock it early.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Does Shez have a last name or can I just call them "Shez Q. Fire Emblem" like I do with every other FE character?
Shez McSheznpants Esquire

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Lorenz was designed specifically to give a bad first impression, so you understand that, yes, everybody else also sees him as pompous, self-absorbed, and generally obnoxious. It's to give him a starting point for character development, which I found satisfying to watch play out. If you're a Ferdinand fan, you should know that Lorenz and Ferdinand are the ultimate best friends of all time.

Leonie's two biggest character hooks relate to the school setting and her rivalry with Byleth, both of which don't apply in Three Hopes, so it's not clear what they'll have for her to do in Three Hopes aside from having professional respect for Shez.
Lorenz is unironically one of my favorite characters simply because he's kind of an idiot, but with good intentions? Like, a lot of his wartime supports are along the lines of "you shouldn't be here because as a commoner, it shouldn't be your responsibility to fight in the army. Nobles are supposed to lay down their lives in times of war, that's the cost of our privilege... but if you're also laying down your lives then my entire worldview shatters so please go home and let me protect you???"

he's an earnest idiot who never quite realized that A: most of the nobility does not give a poo poo, and B: that the rank-and-file soldiers have to come from somewhere

I like that him and Ferdinand are both slightly different takes on the idea of Noblesse Oblige, they're much more compelling than most fantasy characters whose defining trait is "nobility".

also he has stupid hair and awful fashion sense which just makes him funnier :allears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i've heard some vague rumors of potentially very endgame leaks (i've not bothered to look too deeply because i dont want confirmation one way or another) and I heard rumblings of nemesis!claude? so I hope he gets to realize his dream of cutting a mountain in half with the Sword of the Creator™

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

wait it's unlocking now? boooo, im still at work for another hour. this sucks!!! i wanna play already, dammit

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

golden deer time, babeyyyyyyy

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i probably could've prevented this but it didnt feel right to do a "Recruit Everyone" run on my first playthrough, so

RIP Lindhardt. Sorry for killing your boyfriend, Caspar

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

somewhat disappointed that the full class list doesnt seem to include dark flier or valkyrie

what are hapi and constance supposed to do, huh?? you cant have EVERYONE be a gremory

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

You can force people to wear their unique costumes, it'll override most classes. You can also force the generic class costume if you don't like their unique one.

The options are in Shez's tent.
sadly, much like three houses, it will not override Horse. Horse is the most powerful fashion.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

speaking of magic, my shez has had some weird stat growths and not only is her magic stat slightly higher than her strength, it's higher than lysithea's. very worth your while to invest in training her to use it, she makes for a fun mixed attacker

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

sad to see that lorenz is, once again, kind of trash stat-wise

great character, but his str and mag are both 10 points behind the physical and magic focused units... which only makes him look worse when compared to Shez, who can actually use both at the same time already, and is in the top echelon of the entire army. Granted, Shez has the innate bonus of "being the protagonist" but still. RIP Lorenz, at least this game has the ability to re-roll stats.

(yes i know musou games dont have nearly as much focus on character stats over weapon stats but its still funny)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

It's nice to see our Fodlan pals again, but so far, this game has the exact same problem as Age of Calamity: there's absolutely no difficulty or strategy involved on Normal, and if you turn it up to Hard, there's still no difficulty or strategy, but the enemies take four times as long to die.
to be fair thats accurate to the source material, the strategy required in three houses was "attach unit to wyvern, press the win button"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Eimi posted:

That might just be a Lion's thing, when I recruited Hapi and Constance on Eagles, they were very happy that they joined my side.
no, that's specifically a Bernadetta thing, because the same thing happens when recruited on Golden Deer :v:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i love holst but also i cant help but internally call him archibald

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

not to double post but oh no i just got to the part of the plot where sothis shows up and shes once again the best character, even if she has more of her memories back and is therefore slightly evil(?)

also god its so loving nice that byleth actually talks outside of level-up quotes now

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

There’s no actual marriage but this game feels way more gay than 3 Houses.
every support conversation hilda has with another girl seems to involve her thinking theyre cute

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

(chapter 9 spoilers)
lmao okay claude has officially gone full caesar. "Isn't it nice not being restrained by bureaucracy? Anyways I'm just gonna immediately deploy my shiny new army on some of these territories that don't like my new government."

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i think one of the funniest parts of three hopes is the fact that it inverts which hero's relics are good

Three Houses' equipment relics (mostly thyrsus) have really nice stats and passive skills and are great because there's really not a lot of stuff that has those skills. (ie: there's like 3 different things that buff magic range and thyrsus is one of them) Meanwhile the weapons are cool but fuuuuck grinding umbral steel so you use 'em for important fights and thats it

But then in Three Hopes, you have poo poo like Freikugel that A: has much more damage than most axes, B: has much more durability than most axes, C: has a unique weapon art where you cause a volcanic explosion, and D: can be spammed without fear. And then you have Thyrsus which gives you +3 Mag. :v:

also speaking of equipment I found a camp that was giving out either a knowledge gem or an experience gem and I have to wonder why anyone would pick the latter when mastering classes gets you skills/arts and levels can be bought for chump change

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

fun fact: Cavalier/Paladin class action + super effective weapons is hilarious

I gave lorenz a horseslayer spear and he turned into a blender of death

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i would like to nominate this for game of the year

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

was having trouble clearing the enemy death requirement of one of the paralogue S-ranks, and so I decided to switch Shez from swordsmaster back to Fluegel

i went from ~1200/1500 to ~1700/1500 kills. I forgot how loving bonkers her unique moveset is, especially when you throw dark magic into the mix

KittyEmpress posted:

I sort of decided to test how much stats matter in this by replaying a map before and after feeding shez enough stat boosts to raise her str by 12.

Before the boost her full combo string of light attacks was doing 235-260.

After it was doing around 250-280.

It's not a very big difference.
counterpoint: number go up increases serotonin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Terper posted:

If you press Y twice when looking in the class tree, you can see what abilities you get from those classes.
:psyduck: