Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Pureauthor posted:

Game is officially a failure is we are not given the chance to make Shez and Byleth kiss, imo.

Yet. We are not allowed to make them kiss yet. However I still want Edelgard to kiss Byleth. Shez should kiss Monica who is my favorite new character.

The Shortest Path posted:

To save this thread from months of tedious discourse on the subject I'd like to establish from the get go that Edelgard is objectively correct and everyone who opposes her is wrong and bad. This is all that needs to be said on the subject, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, we're spoilering demo stuff? I figured that would be fair game and just datamine stuff should be spoilered, but sure.

Manuela is playable in the demo, on the Edelgard route, and that same route has Hanneman hanging around camp saying he's busy doing NPC stuff but will be playable in a later chapter.

I always assumed Edelgard had no idea her Monica was a changeling. It never really made total sense to me either way, either Edelgard spent a whole lot of time doing Slithery schemes with this minor character, or Edelgard was really callous about letting her girlfriend's dad get murdered by her schemes. I think Three Hopes ties them up quite nice; the real Monica was an aspiring Hubert, and thus her fake is allowed to Hubert without arousing Eddy's suspicions.

I got the other assumption Kronya wasn't even bothering to try and act like Monica. It only worked because she had a gun to Edelgard's head and the faculty never paid much attention in the first place or chalked it up to ~trauma~.

And it's interesting the different perceptions on Edelgard because my take from the demo is that this is the cold, ruthless, and calculating Edelgard we never got to see because Byleth made her friends with the other Eagles and she was head over heels for Byleth. I actually really liked how different she felt from the Edelgard of Crimson Flower, but is still the same character.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Allarion posted:

There's implications that there's recruitment mechanics too, at least with the Ashen Wolves. Also Gatekeeper is currently in the Crimsom Blaze faction, but not playable in the demo. Time will tell if he turns out playable.

Prime DLC target. One of the few given just how many people are here.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

It would be kind of funny if the plot is that Byleth started doing time shenanigans to make everyone happy together and went crazy as they slowly realized that actually their presence actively made things worse (Dimitri goes full-boar crazy when he thinks they’re dead, Edelgard’s strategies get worse when she’s lovestruck, Claude’s laid-back vibe gets overtaken by dumb church bullshit) and has vowed to keep going though timelines until they find one where they are not a stick in the machine like some sort of magic Terminator who has apparently stumbled upon Shez as their John Conner

I would accept that if the ending is Shez's dumbassness pulling Byleth out of it so she and Edelgard can be gay together. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

I also found my only complaint about this game on the Black Eagle route: Bernie and Hubert only get a C support. This is completely unacceptable. Felix and Annette also only go up to B.

Blaziken386 posted:

what the gently caress

is this even the golden route if they cant get married???

This is a loving travesty and needs to be resolved asap. Hubert and Bernie have the best support chain and are super cute together! They're legit one of my favorite ships how could they do that?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Jon Irenicus posted:

lmao that even Edelgard is taller than Caspar pre timeskip

Edelgard somehow grew 4cm in this game. She's now 162cm instead of the 158 cm she was in Three Houses, even post timeskip.

https://twitter.com/oratoza/status/1535915068591747073

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Claude was 175 cm in 3 houses (both pre and after timeskip) and is 177 cm in chapter 4 in three hopes.

Maybe a changed diet gave him a growth spurt in this timeline?

It's going around. Now we need to find out who else had their height change. :tinfoil:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

If it helps, comparing Rhea to Ganondorf isn't really fair. She's more like the king of Hyrule, if the king of Hyrule had enough skeletons in his closet to fill up half the castle because he'd been fighting Ganondorf for so long that he made some very questionable decisions.

I dunno I personally think Rhea is much more hardcore than Ganon. Ganon never threatened to rip my heart of my chest.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dolash posted:

It's definitely a bit of a step back from Three Houses' level of Support Conversations, though, which is a slight disappointment for people tuning in for More Three Houses. It sort of tips their hand about which support pairings are the most important for various characters based on which ones got cut (RIP Annette and Felix).

It'd be good to know more about the recruitment system and whether paired endings are still a thing. Grinding everyone in the same house up to C in the demo just for the sake of it will definitely have an impact later if the other houses' characters become available.

Wow they cut Annette and Felix too? I thought that was one of the like more popular ships for non lords. Like I'd at least admit that Hubert/Bernadetta is a bit of a niche ship, but it still stings they cut it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

Can't wait to A support Edelgard and Byleth, and then A support Hubert and Monica so they can go for drinks and commiserate over the fact that they're stuck simping for life.

I mean I'm personally angling for FShez and Monica, especially with the fanon interpretation that Shez is actually really into Byleth. Same outcome really just gayer.

mastajake posted:

They should have let the fMByleth be a homewrecker with Alois.

E. Yeah, Shamir is a great pairing, but only works for male.

fixed that one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

But for real the worst romantic one is Byleth/Rhea and it isn't a contest considering their whole uh everything.

Byleth/Sothis is also incredibly weird and probably should not exist. Especially since Sothis spends most of the game dead again and she looks like she's 10 even as a weird disembodied spirit in Byleth's head.

Yes but it also lead to this comic and that's just delightful imo

https://twitter.com/k_nonomo/status/1175099585506594816

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

I feel like you just opened my eyes

https://twitter.com/oratoza/status/1525721367420600320

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

the power dynamics are what make it extremely good

having the hots for your improbably young teacher is a cornerstone of the yuri genre

(besides, when she becomes emperor the power dynamic inverts dramatically so I never understood the Harsh Discourse surrounding edeleth in the first place)

:hmmyes:

Who doesn't want their girlfriend to be a literal empress?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah that's very much the normal experience. Hard has you much more involved with the mechanics if that's your jam, but the core of at least FEW is finding your guy with the most up arrows and orders them to the right spot, swapping guys to control them manually/making sure you don't just tunnel vision and forget about your base.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Mercedes and Balthus are older than Byleth, all the other students are older.

Balthus is actually older than Shamir so the fact he has a new appearance post timeskip while Shamir doesn't is a shame.

That he has a new appearance at all always sucks (imo) just cause I prefer his original look. Like his original look to me is basically Elvis Presley if Elvis beat the poo poo out of people instead of eating at Arby's.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

His three hopes look resembles a solid snake audition so I dig it

the headband does do a lot to help. Vast improvement over his timeskip look for sure.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

It makes sense for the Faerghus faction at least. They’re duty/honor/loyalty fixated and many are friends from birth.

Lysithea, though? A very limited lifespan to throw in with some guy you just met who oozes “I am up to something”.

What's important is if I can rectify the mistake that Lysithea is apparently in the wrong house again? She's clearly a Black Eagle.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

found a video of the various unique quotes in new Fire Emblem and

monica, please

Literally me. I love her so much.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Also the conceit of this game and the playable characters are kind of a hilarious juxtaposition. Cutting through literal hundreds of mooks makes sense as Shez or Byleth or Catherine or Dimitri, but it kind of falls apart when you think a little bit about how or why Manuela is a whirlwind of death with her fists if you class her that way

If they were going to limit playable characters, making it just people with crests would've been one way to do it AND make it make sense in the narrative. I don't think it would've been a good choice, but it certainly is one. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Just having a non mission way to get support is super nice. Granted I think they got rid of skill sharing in general, but if they didn't you will be VERY thankful you don't need to do hundreds of missions with whoever has the astra equivalent to share to your entire army. :shepicide:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought someone earlier said there is skill sharing, unless you mean like passive battle skills and not active moves.

Yeah I mean passives. They changed a lot of the smaller systems up a lot. FEW your build came almost entirely from passives.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Black Eagles are theatre kids, it's where all the personalities go.

Blue Lions are a sports club, but some kind of fancy sport like lacross.

Golden Deer is obviously band camp.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Chinook posted:

I heard Three Hopes is supposed to be pretty okay and my favorite musou games are probably DW3:XL, Hyrule Warriors and PW3, so I suppose I should check it out.

To prepare I played through Three Houses on Normal/Casual (basically easy mode) and really liked it.

I named my Byleth "Blyat". I hope that carries over into Three Hopes

You can rename Byleth as you like, but if you have the save data, Three Hopes will read it in. If you liked Three Houses story/characters this will be a delight, given that Koei Tecmo did a ton of work on Three Houses as is. This isn't another team handling them, it's very much the same people just getting to tell a different story in the same setting.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

What's important when it comes to Holst is what his warrior special line is. If he doesn't have "I think that enemy got the point" among his lines I will be incredibly disappointed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I ordered a physical copy cause I just like doing that for console games so I am just furiously following the tracker.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Has there been any more info on how the weapon system will work? Namely will topsy turvy return? Because having that and the freeform class system, suddenly Eagles glut of mages turns into a major strength.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I think the biggest thing you miss out on is knowing who the characters are and why they do some actions. They really don't do much work introducing you to the cast of each route and getting you to care for them, it's the main thing it expects you to just already know and be like "yay my friends are back".

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Holst is great! His unique action is to boost his own attack speed and add lightning to his attacks so of course I'm going to make him a mainstay of my army.

But is one of his lines "I think that enemy got...the point"?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Are there any datamines on growths? Because if they were pure rng that's not...great.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Considering you can completely reset a unit's level to redo their growths its got to be some kind of RNG. Which is bizarre as hell considering how the original handled it was basically perfect.

Yeah that's a major step back.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Playing on hard is quite the difference from the demo and my FEW endgame save. It's quite a pain to get S ranks, they are insanely tight! Like only take 40% damage and do it in 7 minutes, while I remember FEW S ranks more in the region of 15 mins and 80% so quite the change.

As well speaking of difficulty clearing the crowds, how combos work has absolutely changed. FEW had a pretty standard combo layout of launcher, aoe, guard opener, guard breaker, biggest most powerful but slow move that hits the whole screen. I can't quite figure out what each combo is good for, and it almost feels like it varies by class now. I certainly have no idea how to easily rack up the kills, especially as one hit trash kills are out. (well maybe til I upgrade weapons.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wonder if playing to the inspiration bonus is a mistake, at least on hard, it feels like my units are pretty drastically underleveled. Really feels like I should be grinding exp since I'm maybe level 10ish and the enemy is in the 30s.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Another fun dichotomy between Three Houses and Three Hopes: recruiting. In Three Houses you recruit people because you’re such a cool and good teacher who everyone loves and in Three Hopes they’re basically just prisoners of war. When I recruited Bernadetta over to the Lions she was like “uh what the gently caress have I done why am I here am I gonna have to fight my old friends now”

It’s weird that we just shove high ranking enemy soldiers into our force with no thought of them ever betraying us

That might just be a Lion's thing, when I recruited Hapi and Constance on Eagles, they were very happy that they joined my side.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Everyone after Hapi/Constance on the Eagles is mostly a POW too. Though there are some hilarious exceptions like Ignatz who joins up because Hubert is super impressed with an ambush he pulls off on you.

Also it might have been uh kinder to not recruit Ashe. Because goddamn [spoiler]you emotionally blackmail him by making him remember how gutted Lonato was when his other son died and he's then just incredibly uncomfortable about fighting anyone from Ferghus[/spoiler]

I see Shez learned their personal skills from Mother Base.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why do you think Balthus has that bandana?

Infinite Punches.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah the hard rewards kind of just seem like they are there so when you play on hard you get something from it. As someone doing so, it absolutely is hard, your units can get shredded if you're not careful, a chapter 5 fight in particular in SB knocked out two of my characters. I'm not sure if it's 'worth' it over normal, normal feels too easy but this is quite the challenge from normal. :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

He is a very good King of Delusion.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

This game is a really great collection of improvement from FEW and then some just really baffling changes.

Tying passives to playing a class is such a better way than tying them to supports. You'll still probably want to master way more than your default line, but it feels much less onerous than having to strap Lobsterman to your back the entire game. Hell you even have a way to do it outside of combat! It's great. It's also strange but wonderful playing a musou where I give a poo poo about the story with it being much more than an excuse for mashing your action figures together. In all honestly this could be a Fire Emblem game if you swapped out the combat styles.

The bad is kind of annoying though. I hate the RNG level ups. This doesn't even really help for class freedom, since topsy turvy was a thing in FEW and was a great way to differentiate units of the same class. (Though the new weapon system could make it much harder to obtain.) I also don't know why they stop mechanical supports (ie supports with no conversations) at c. If you're already not making a convo, make it go to A for mechanical benefit at least. At the very least everyone in the same house should go to A :argh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Notty posted:

Like on the one hand, I get it, because the supports in Three Hopes tend to be longer and more involved than the ones in Houses, but on the other, Ashe literally won’t talk to anyone in the Black Eagles other than Shez and so it’s like why even bother making him recruitable lol

I mean when I say 'mechanical support' I just mean they get an A rank support with no conversations at all. There are plenty of supports like that in game, they just tend to end at C rank.

But yeah that is also a strange aspect of recruiting. But half the recruits feel like you just Fulton'd them and the other half actually want to join you and it's 50/50 on how they'll feel about it. And you can only tell after the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Get the sewer kids at least. They are all happy to be here and while not as fleshed out as a main house character, have a decent amount of supports.