Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Come listen to a short 2019 game of listening to many people very carefully to put some of them in jail. Probably?

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The logo is clearly Spy versus Spy.

Also, I guess Cameron also has a fake driver's license that says he's Tyler (or he keeps stealing Tyler's)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
This thread name is worth a Gold rating all by itself.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh hey, I thought this game was neat! A little short, and it's clearly trying to bite The Obra Dinn's "uncover a mystery from a weird angle" style but I liked what it was going for, at least.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Come listen to a short 2019 game of listening to many people very carefully to put some of them in jail. Probably?

I had to check, it turns out "The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker" came out in 2017.

This looks like a really neat idea, although I wonder how much will be done with having to 'move around' the world to get audio and if there's going to be anything related to who was where when, or if that's just the way to reveal the parts of the case. Still a good way to create a crime scene 're-enactment' while also evoking a surveillance state.

I wonder if there will be an in-game explanation of how this works — could be technological time travel, or just piecing together actual recordings into a 3-D environment in a way that was never actually done before. One could imagine that with millions of hours of audio recorded, you'd need something like this to give people a chance to figure out where/when to actually listen in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The way the first one was presented it feels like these are just test cases, not active or cold ones, but maybe that'll get thrown for a loop as we go on.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Echoing the game's advice to wear headphones on this one. The directional audio is impressively spot-on, especially in that opening bit when you're standing right between the characters.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Maestro's true plan seems equal parts viable and crazy.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I have to admit, the super dark and broody framing device being used to solve a screwball comedy of a mystery that would not be out of place alongside the Pink Panther was not the direction I expected for case two.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Good lord this game has such potential for fan made cases, just get a map, some friends to voice act, and add a little bit of coding, and boom fan made cases!... of varying quality no doubt.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's all cop dramas put together, with a surprise ending.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I feel kinda bad for Dwight, all that planning going away like that. I guess he should have been more careful. Also that's a surprisingly powerful leg bomb.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We're solving a sprawling cold case with a colder case hidden in it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know theatre types are dramatic but what the hell is this, a mob theatre?

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
This is where I really started using notes. They're different than I expected, putting in a note makes it fly across the screen at the appropriate timestamp, which as I understand it is how comments work on Weibo in China?

In any case, the nicest thing to use notes for were phone calls. Plug the note in when a call happens, and it becomes much easier to notice when you're on the other end of said call since text suddenly whizzes by the screen. I also used the note feature to cram every possible relationship I thought could be relevant at the beginning of the video so I could look at them all at once like it was a mess of unconnected words waiting for the red strings on a corkboard to tie it all together. Stuff like "this guy mentioned his leg was heavier than usual" from the police station case. It got more than a little cluttered.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The mental hospital is a silly place.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well that was interesting. And those ashtrays are murderous too.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This case… this case is nuts all the way, and without a good halfway point. So many layers, I should have used notes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SelenicMartian posted:

This case… this case is nuts all the way, and without a good halfway point. So many layers, I should have used notes.

I think what really happened is that the AD set up the whole thing. He talks about his ex dying and having to investigate it himself, then he's in charge of the casting so he knows who gets shot when, makes sure Andy has the 'prop' gun at the outset of the shoot, and when things go wrong he still makes sure Andy gets the real thing. Also when the real gun goes off, he's talking about his feelings being 'a knot that [gunshot] just got untied'. Clearly the actor playing Big D killed his ex and he's taking revenge.

The thing with the director was a red herring - you were supposed to think that his sister was the cop who died and stuck in the reservoir.

Also I think this whole thing is literally meant to be them filming a 'case' for the lab that the player can then solve - whether they're an actual detective or a mental patient or what.

I don't know who 'Barry' is meant to be, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

After a quick glance at the films they cite as inspirations it seems likely that Andy was a hitman the AD hired to play an actor (one of the films involves a gangster hiring an actor to play a hitman). If Andy is a legit actor in the scene there's no reason for him to make the switch when he first goes to the locker room. So Andy has a real gun at the start and he switches it with the prop gun in locker 2. The AD then "improvises" his way to get the real gun back to Andy after "forgetting" to give John his prop gun.

It also feels like the start to a whole new "meta" plot about the nature of the "cases" the player is investigating and solving.