Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Please tell me you meant miracle whip

It wouldn't be great but it'd be so much better

they meant cool whip, I only know this because I've seen this exact same hope crushed in the americana thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952517&pagenumber=178&perpage=40&userid=0#post515396524

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

a sexual elk posted:

Chili with pepperoncinis and hamburger

:hai:
I make my venison chili with pepperoncinis and it is excellent :colbert:

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

A few years back I drove home. It's a lovely trip, two days through Chicago. I get home. My mom, bless her so much, I love her, made "favorite dish" from when I as a kid. I am in my late 30s and have developed a palette that is really wide and deep. Mom made me "bean dip". No seasoning. Some cheese, thank god. Then my dad bitched I was eating too much. It was bland as gently caress. Did I say something? Hell no! But I ate peanut butter I stole from the hotel because I was still hungry.

The rest of the week was my fattening up going to local places that rock. But mom, bless her, she tried.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Please tell me you meant miracle whip

It wouldn't be great but it'd be so much better

No. I mean Cool Whip.

It was horrifying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TIP posted:

they meant cool whip, I only know this because I've seen this exact same hope crushed in the americana thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952517&pagenumber=178&perpage=40&userid=0#post515396524

I can't believe someone managed to flummox BBC

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Vegetable posted:

Ketchup on pasta does sound bad but that’s mostly because there’s literally no other flavor on that plate. Mix it up with, I dunno, onions, cream, spicy sausage and parsley and you might have something halfway decent. I think this is literally a thing in Japan.

Going back a few pages I know, but ketchup pasta is a legit thing in Japan. It's called "Spaghetti Napolitan" and it originated as an attempt to approximate spaghetti using ingredients that were available in post-war Japan and kind of evolved into its own thing. The trick is that there are other flavours going on and you cook some of the acidity out of the ketchup before adding it to the pasta.

I made it the other night and it turned out OK. Not something I'd serve to guests but as a quick lunch or dinner it's perfect decent.

https://japan.recipetineats.com/spaghetti-napolitan-japanese-ketchup-pasta/

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Spaghetti Napolitan with a big scoop of Strawberry, vanilla and Chocolate ice cream. Yum.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
My FIL caught a fresh fish, I think it was a flathead if I remember, and my MIL put it under the grill with no salt, no pepper, no oil, nothing, and then served it to us with the bones still in and the tail still on the piece she gave to me. Not only was it the worst thing I've ever been served, it may in fact have been the worst thing I've ever eaten, straight up.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Outrail posted:

Spaghetti Napolitan with a big scoop of Strawberry, vanilla and Chocolate ice cream. Yum.

:barf:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

abigserve posted:

My FIL caught a fresh fish, I think it was a flathead if I remember, and my MIL put it under the grill with no salt, no pepper, no oil, nothing, and then served it to us with the bones still in and the tail still on the piece she gave to me. Not only was it the worst thing I've ever been served, it may in fact have been the worst thing I've ever eaten, straight up.

Turning your nose up at a nice piece of hot sushi for shame

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Outrail posted:

at first I assumed this was a typo and you meant to say "neapolitan", like the ice cream that's strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate and I thought "not so bad, spaghetti is pretty neutral"

but then I googled "Spaghetti Napolitan" and I guess that means spaghetti and ketchup?

so are you saying someone actually served spaghetti napolitan with neapolitan ice cream? or did they hear about spaghetti napolitan and misunderstand and think it was spaghetti with neapolitan ice cream?

I want to understand which way this person's brain is broken

and if you were served ketchup + spaghetti + neapolitan ice cream the person who did it needs to be put away, they will hurt more people

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I believe it's what's called "a joke"

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Anne Whateley posted:

if it's true it wouldn't even be the most ridiculous or grossest thing posted in this thread

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can't be the only person who weighed like 135lbs in middle school and highschool who just devoured triple cheeseburgers that weighed like 2 lbs but never put on weight

I was criminally underweight and ate fast food + ice cream sandwiches every day.

Why is this power not available in a pill yet

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I ate a few sticks of uncooked chocolate spaghetti at Pike's Market. Wasn't bad, I'm just thinking a lot about spaghetti experiences now.

SPAH GHETT

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Jokes? On my dead gay comedy forum?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Das Boo posted:

I ate a few sticks of uncooked chocolate spaghetti at Pike's Market. Wasn't bad, I'm just thinking a lot about spaghetti experiences now.

SPAH GHETT

drat I got spooked

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

my roommate and I would take turns cooking dinner cause it was easier and cheaper to make food to scale. he was usually better / more adventurous than me back in the day but we each served each other some real doozies while we figured it out. split alfredo sauce and shoe leather chicken, etc.

but the only one we ever really had to throw away was when he made tuna cakes. like crab cakes, but tuna from a can. we were using up some pantry staples so he grabbed the tuna and breadcrumbs. we are both big eaters to he made them the size of thick burgers. but since they were bigger and thicker he had to bake them longer - until they dried out to much you had to rehydrate them in your mouth. the final result was like trying to eat sawdust lmao

our only hope was some kind of condiment or sauce to get moisture. we were college kids so all that was in the fridge was ketchup and mustard. we choose the ketchup. it did not improve the experience. we still ate about half before we threw in the towel. I miss those days

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

for restaurants the only meal I ever stopped eating because I was grossed out was in a 99 Restaurant iirc with my father. I ordered the meatloaf. he asked me if I was sure that was what I wanted - I was a child who like the meatloaf my mom made, so that's what I ordered. It came out undercooked.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jon Irenicus posted:

for restaurants the only meal I ever stopped eating because I was grossed out was in a 99 Restaurant iirc with my father. I ordered the meatloaf. he asked me if I was sure that was what I wanted - I was a child who like the meatloaf my mom made, so that's what I ordered. It came out undercooked.

Burger King once gave me a chicken sandwich with a raw frozen chicken patty in it.

When I complained they microwaved it until it was a hot piece of raw chicken.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Restaurant meals? My worst one was after a long day on the road with friends, we finally stopped for a late night Denny's visit. The food took an hour to come out, everything was cold and had something terrible about it. My hash browns were literally hard enough that buying through them hurt my teeth, and our coffee cups had enough of an essence of soap to add some bubbles and affect the taste. I guess we probably should've known what we were getting into, but you kinda take what you can get late at night.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

we choose the ketchup.

It wasn't actually a war crime until this moment, but I'm gonna need you to surrender peacefully

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
My fave restaurant meal included the little diced mixed veggies you get in the bag from the Safeway. The one with the peas and perfectly cubular carrots. Lol'd but I still ate it for some reason.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Captain Hygiene posted:

Restaurant meals? My worst one was after a long day on the road with friends, we finally stopped for a late night Denny's visit. The food took an hour to come out, everything was cold and had something terrible about it. My hash browns were literally hard enough that buying through them hurt my teeth, and our coffee cups had enough of an essence of soap to add some bubbles and affect the taste. I guess we probably should've known what we were getting into, but you kinda take what you can get late at night.

I love bad chain breakfast restaurants, like Shari's and Denny's, but when they are bad, it's inedible. My husband and I went to a Shari's and he orders an egg over easy. What comes out is an egg that saw a pan for maybe 30 seconds, maybe. Literally raw egg white running across the plate. According to the server, cooked egg white is actually an over medium egg, not over easy.

We never returned to that particular Shari's.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Lol what? Was that in some small town of 20 people who've had several decades of generational inbreeding to create their own idiotic culinary culture?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Speaking of which! When my family was living in South Carolina, my sister ordered a chili dog. She got chili in a hot dog bun. No dog.

Can't remember if this was Duncan or Greenville, but she was told this was A Thing there.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Outrail posted:

Lol what? Was that in some small town of 20 people who've had several decades of generational inbreeding to create their own idiotic culinary culture?

Nope. One of the larger metro areas in my state.

I wish I could blame it on some bumfuck place, but I can't.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I ordered a double quarter pounder, mayo only one time and I got a bun, two slices of cheese, and mayo.

No meat.

This was at 3 AM after a long car ride home. I didn't notice until I got home and opened the box. :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pinus Porcus posted:

I love bad chain breakfast restaurants, like Shari's and Denny's, but when they are bad, it's inedible. My husband and I went to a Shari's and he orders an egg over easy. What comes out is an egg that saw a pan for maybe 30 seconds, maybe. Literally raw egg white running across the plate. According to the server, cooked egg white is actually an over medium egg, not over easy.

We never returned to that particular Shari's.

It sounds like they probably did undercook it but it's like ordering a steak rare or well done, at the ends of the spectrum you take your chances

Over medium is probably what you wanted, really

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nah, I've ordered a billion over easy eggs at diners and they all come out with cooked whites and runny yolks, that place is hosed up if they're serving majorly uncooked egg whites.

e: the easy/medium/hard part is supposed to just be the yolk, not the white.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nah, I've ordered a billion over easy eggs at diners and they all come out with cooked whites and runny yolks, that place is hosed up if they're serving majorly uncooked egg whites.

You're right, I was thinking of sunny side up

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Even places that do sunny side up can just cover the egg for a min and cook that off. That's what I do.

Anyone that doesn't eat runny yolk eggs is an idiot

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pro starcraft loser posted:

This right here is definitely true

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

pro starcraft loser posted:

:hmmyes:

Gonna time travel back and kick my child self in the rear end for all those wasted years thinking they're gross

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I always order over medium eggs, and I've literally never gotten what I think of as over medium (whites set, yolk jammy, just/mostly set but still dark). Luckily I eat the whole range of yolks, but if you don't, don't bet on a diner egg.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

I always order over medium eggs, and I've literally never gotten what I think of as over medium (whites set, yolk jammy, just/mostly set but still dark). Luckily I eat the whole range of yolks, but if you don't, don't bet on a diner egg.

I LOVE waffle house because I abuse myself with hash browns, gravy, cheese, and I ask them to throw a couple sunny side up eggs on top.

Will I get food poisoning? Maybe. Does it thicken my blood? Absolutely. But it's worth the risk. (Don't do this more than like twice a year)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Speaking of which! When my family was living in South Carolina, my sister ordered a chili dog. She got chili in a hot dog bun. No dog.

Can't remember if this was Duncan or Greenville, but she was told this was A Thing there.

I have asked several of my also from SC friends and none of us have heard of this dogless chili dog so it must be hyper regional. As far as I know a Carolina style chili dog has weiner, beanless chili, slaw and raw onions.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Das Boo posted:

yes! it's mostly northern Greenville County and Pickens County (SC, not the more SA-famous hotdog-related Pickens County). if you want a chili dog in those areas you have to order a hotdog with chili. I have no idea why this would be.

subpar anachronism posted:

I have asked several of my also from SC friends and none of us have heard of this dogless chili dog so it must be hyper regional. As far as I know a Carolina style chili dog has weiner, beanless chili, slaw and raw onions.

also yes... this is the standard formulation even in the city of Greenville proper.

again, no clue why it's different in those isolated spots.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Empty Sandwich posted:

yes! it's mostly northern Greenville County and Pickens County (SC, not the more SA-famous hotdog-related Pickens County). if you want a chili dog in those areas you have to order a hotdog with chili. I have no idea why this would be.

sounds like a way to rip off out-of-towners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Holy poo poo, I had no idea it was that specific. I'll have to let her know, that's funny as hell!