Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I've only made eggs over easy one time and they were perfect, not because I'm a 5 star chef, but because I googled "how to make eggs over easy" and followed the directions of the most credible looking result.

I think you'd have to be lazy or bad at your job to gently caress that up at even the shittiest restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So, I am the orderer of the eggs in the uncooked egg story and let me just say that I can handle a pretty undercooked egg but, Christ, when I poked the whites with a fork they literally started running across the plate.

Over easy they were not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I've only made eggs over easy one time and they were perfect, not because I'm a 5 star chef, but because I googled "how to make eggs over easy" and followed the directions of the most credible looking result.

I think you'd have to be lazy or bad at your job to gently caress that up at even the shittiest restaurant.

I stuck with cooking sunny side up for way too long, and it was a constant struggle to get a good one without cooking half the yolk. Then I finally tried over easy and it's like, oh, I can consistently get far better results with a fraction of the effort, why would I ever not do this.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's how i feel about sunny side up. there is zero chance i mess up sunny side up, but i'll break a yolk every week or two when i'm doing over easy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I dunno, there's something about sunny side up for me. I've made perfect ones, but then other times they're just cooked half through, I just have zero consistency.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just throw a lid over and throw in a little water after edges look a little browned for lazy sunny side up, let the steam do all the work. Ain’t pretty but it works.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
Booger beans with fart soup

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
gently caress those gordon ramsay eggs

i like chives in my eggs.

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here
Grew up in the Middle of Nowhere, Farm Country USA.

In 7th grade I slept over at a friend's house and in the morning was served cereal with milk (standard American cereal, I think it was Cheerios) but they didn't refrigerate their milk. Just let that jug sit on the table all day and night until it was gone. To my city-slicker nose it was spoiled - gave off a STRONG sour/curdled milk smell - but they just ate and drank it like it was nothing. I didn't discover this until I poured a generous amount and the smell hit me. I gagged it all down out of politeness.

As a kid, my daycare provider was a farm wife who just let a dozen of us kids run around their farm all day. They raised goats for milk and meat so every glass of milk provided was straight from the goat's teat and every dish that contained protein was goat: goat sloppy joes, for instance.

As an adult I just drink water. PTS-Dairy, you could say.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Edmund Sparkler posted:

:allears:

When I cooked breakfasts at a not lovely restaurant I would have 6 burners with non stick pans for individual egg orders and 2 large omelette pans that I would swap out plus a pot for poaching and a griddle for sausage, bacon and hash browns, and scallops.

I'd make hollandaise from scratch 3 times per service.

We would easily put out 250 covers and made sure that big parties of 15-20 would all get their food at the same time. Im sure one or two poached eggs were slightly jammier than a guest intended.

Point is watching a 5 minute YouTube video and cooking two eggs for yourself at home and calling restaurant workers lazy is pretty ridiculous.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Literally A Person posted:

So, I am the orderer of the eggs in the uncooked egg story and let me just say that I can handle a pretty undercooked egg but, Christ, when I poked the whites with a fork they literally started running across the plate.

Over easy they were not.

yeah ok that's nasty

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The key to not snotty sunny side up eggs with bright yellow runny warm yolks and set whites is low heat, a relatively small non stick pan, and plenty of fat (neutral oil, clarified butter, bacon grease).

you wanna crack it close to the pan so it stays compact, it shouldn't sizzle but the looser whites should begin cooking. Shake the pan so the egg comes loose. Then you let the hot oil wash over the egg and cook the thicker white bit, sort of swirl it around so the hot grease cooks the white and slides around the yolk. Season and remove with a slotted spoon, letting any excess cooking fat drip off for your next egg(s).

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Poohs Packin posted:

:allears:

When I cooked breakfasts at a not lovely restaurant I would have 6 burners with non stick pans for individual egg orders and 2 large omelette pans that I would swap out plus a pot for poaching and a griddle for sausage, bacon and hash browns, and scallops.

I'd make hollandaise from scratch 3 times per service.

We would easily put out 250 covers and made sure that big parties of 15-20 would all get their food at the same time. Im sure one or two poached eggs were slightly jammier than a guest intended.

Point is watching a 5 minute YouTube video and cooking two eggs for yourself at home and calling restaurant workers lazy is pretty ridiculous.

I was taking about the particular staff in the poster's story about the lovely eggs they got at Shari's. I've never seen a Shari's just that was particularly busy and the server trying to tell the poster that that's the way eggs over easy is done was particularly egregious.

Seriously, I know how fast pace and stressful the service industry can be. I wasn't painting all service workers with that brush. I know lovely service and indifference towards customers though and it irritates me because I appreciate the hard work that goes into making a good customer experience.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I was taking about the particular staff in the poster's story about the lovely eggs they got at Shari's. I've never seen a Shari's just that was particularly busy and the server trying to tell the poster that that's the way eggs over easy is done was particularly egregious.

Seriously, I know how fast pace and stressful the service industry can be. I wasn't painting all service workers with that brush. I know lovely service and indifference towards customers though and it irritates me because I appreciate the hard work that goes into making a good customer experience.

This is honestly the piece that was the worst. I was career restaurant for years, I'm very forgiving, I will deal with a lot of mistakes and still leave a big tip, be polite, all that stuff. I only send food back if it's literally inedible.

But trying to tell us that literal runny raw egg white over the whole plate is how it should be cooked was horrifying: like no, no, in no world is that what an over easy egg looks like...or any 'cooked' egg for that matter

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Pinus Porcus posted:

I love bad chain breakfast restaurants, like Shari's and Denny's, but when they are bad, it's inedible. My husband and I went to a Shari's and he orders an egg over easy. What comes out is an egg that saw a pan for maybe 30 seconds, maybe. Literally raw egg white running across the plate. According to the server, cooked egg white is actually an over medium egg, not over easy.

We never returned to that particular Shari's.

i was in Singapore for work and had eggs with breakfast and the whites were very runny. i thought it was just a generally crap restaurant but had a second experience at a different establishment that was exactly the same. seems it's pretty common in southeast asia but uncooked eggs = salmonella has been so ingrained in my upbringing that i could not bring myself to eat it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
One time I went to a Plantation in South Carolina and the slaves tried to serve me Eggs and beans for breakfast.
I have never been more upset in my life

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Singapore's a developed country though, could've triangulated that one a bit better.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Singapore has some big drat problems but is also the safest I've ever felt walking down a street.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

Singapore has some big drat problems but is also the safest I've ever felt walking down a street.

Did you eat any merlion

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Bloop posted:

Did you eat any merlion

I didn't think I could take the one I saw, so I ate pre-killed fishes like the foreign dog I am.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

the threat of death for minor infractions will create the illusion of safety

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

i don't like sand it's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Edmund Sparkler posted:

All g my guy.

I've worked in some higher end places and there truly are some indifferent and lazy scumbags even at that level. They get more rare the nicer the place gets typically but goddamn they persist.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

Ali g my guy.
booyakasha

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

When I went to Singapore it felt like one of those sci-fi movies where everyone lives in a beautiful utopia but there's a horrible secret.

It's amazing place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there for a very long list of reasons.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I like to get drunk and I would hate to be publicly caned for accidentally stepping on a sewer grate or something

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bargearse posted:

When I went to Singapore it felt like one of those sci-fi movies where everyone lives in a beautiful utopia but there's a horrible secret.

It's amazing place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there for a very long list of reasons.

It's this.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
One time my pregnant wife was served raw chicken at a birthday party.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I have never been more upset in my life

a time traveler getting incredibly upset at being served shrimp and grits

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
In high school I dated this Jehovah's Witness girl and one afternoon after making out in her closet for a couple hours she said I should stay for dinner. Her dad made like...stuffed meatballs? Like stuffed peppers? But meatballs with like, rice in them. The rice was crunchy and the meat was so dry and it was entirely flavorless.

How to people just make food that tastes like nothing? Like they go to restaurants, they know how food is SUPPOSED to taste, right? Do they just assume it's restaurant magic or something?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

big dyke energy posted:

In high school I dated this Jehovah's Witness girl and one afternoon after making out in her closet for a couple hours she said I should stay for dinner. Her dad made like...stuffed meatballs? Like stuffed peppers? But meatballs with like, rice in them. The rice was crunchy and the meat was so dry and it was entirely flavorless.

How to people just make food that tastes like nothing? Like they go to restaurants, they know how food is SUPPOSED to taste, right? Do they just assume it's restaurant magic or something?

He was serving you balls equivalent to how yours probably felt after making out for a few hours.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Rationale posted:

One time my pregnant wife was served raw chicken at a birthday party.

We had neighbors that my mom is still close friends with. They invited us over for dinner one time where they were grilling a whole chicken on the BBQ. They messed something up and the whole thing was severely undercooked. We had all gotten our plates, sides and all, by the time my mom noticed and spoke up about it. They took it all back but not before their linebacker-shaped son wolfed down all of his :fork:

That must have been over 20 years ago and that story still comes up whenever my mom talks about our neighbors.

Edit: not a food served story but the same neighbors had two desktop computers on a big table against a wall. The dad was one of those 90s IT guys with the cave of computer parts and would Frankenstein computers together. I went to play a game and found the CD stuck to the wall with dried red wine.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 3, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dried red wine you really do do it all / you keep CD-ROM stuck to the wall

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

big dyke energy posted:

Maybe he was the abusive husband from "To Wong Foo..." who HATES SPICE.

Plus most home cooks don't have the pure balls it takes to season food like a restaurant chef or cook.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I feel like you should realize pretty early on in life not to eat chicken tartare when it's served to you accidentally

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

big dyke energy posted:

Not that most people will care but rice in meatballs is actually a pretty common Russian dish called tefteli, or alternatively hedgehog/porcupine meatballs. Of course it should be in some sauce and not be terrible but it's a thing!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I feel like you should realize pretty early on in life not to eat chicken tartare when it's served to you accidentally

first off what the gently caress is chicken tartare?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

first off what the gently caress is chicken tartare?

A miserable little pile of food poisoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Poohs Packin posted:

Plus most home cooks don't have the pure balls it takes to season food like a restaurant chef or cook.

I never worked in fine dining, it was mostly cafeterias and greasy spoons. Sometimes my relatives would ask about the stuff I cooked and I was all like "NO! You do not want this leek and potato bake recipe, it uses an entire litre of UHT cream! And that's not counting all the bacon and chorizo or the cheese on top..."