Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

For my uncle's 70th birthday dinner, one of his cousins organized this weird as gently caress dinner thing where you had to order each course off a menu, except the 'menu' was a list of themed items like "adult diaper", "liver spots", "crutches", etc. For each item you ordered for a given course, they'd serve you a corresponding dinner item (memorably, "adult diaper" corresponded to a portion of beef lasagna. Gross.) There was no way to know what you were actually going to get, you just had to write in a guess and hope for the best.

What makes it even more hosed up is that things like silverware and napkins were included in this little game, so you could be served lasagna but no utensils. Also, they cleared away your setting after each course, so if you didn't want to eat lasagna with your hands, you couldn't wait until you got a fork later, it'd just be gone.

The cherry on top of this sundae is that all the guests who showed up on time had to go through this ordeal, but the one guy who showed up late got a normal plate fixed up for him, no fuss no muss.

It was utter bullshit, and my wife still brings it up whenever this relative may potentially be at an event that we're going to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Speleothing posted:

She reheated it by putting it in the blender and letting the blender run until it was warm, instead of just microwaving a bowl.

Lol what the gently caress

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol what the gently caress

Right? At first I thought it was some kind of special blender with a heating element, but she was for real just letting the motor heat like a liter of leftover soup.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
My Iranian neighbors who I'd never really spoken to invited me over for dinner. I'd never had arab food and I was excited. They were real assholes though and gave me a bunch of burnt rice. loving assholes. This was shortly after 9/11 so tensions were high.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A friend’s aunt served us fries and toasted wonderbread, with brown gravy from a packet. Probably the weirdest meal I’ve had, it all turned into gravy flavoured mush.

We had been snowboarding all day though so we ate every goddamn bit.

E:

Paper Tiger posted:

For my uncle's 70th birthday dinner, one of his cousins organized this weird as gently caress dinner thing where you had to order each course off a menu, except the 'menu' was a list of themed items like "adult diaper", "liver spots", "crutches", etc. For each item you ordered for a given course, they'd serve you a corresponding dinner item (memorably, "adult diaper" corresponded to a portion of beef lasagna. Gross.) There was no way to know what you were actually going to get, you just had to write in a guess and hope for the best.

What makes it even more hosed up is that things like silverware and napkins were included in this little game, so you could be served lasagna but no utensils. Also, they cleared away your setting after each course, so if you didn't want to eat lasagna with your hands, you couldn't wait until you got a fork later, it'd just be gone.

The cherry on top of this sundae is that all the guests who showed up on time had to go through this ordeal, but the one guy who showed up late got a normal plate fixed up for him, no fuss no muss.

It was utter bullshit, and my wife still brings it up whenever this relative may potentially be at an event that we're going to.

This is loving hilarious, I bet your cousin had a lot of fun inflicting this game on the family.

On a similiar note, I was at a fantasy/sci-if themed burger joint where you could roll a bunch of dice to decide what burger you got. They had a ton of different meats, veggie options, buns, the works.

My random burger? Portobello mushroom patty with mayo and fried mushrooms. That was it.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 10, 2022

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Visiting a relative on the other side of the country and for entree was served two of the biggest cobs of corn I've ever seen.

But the twist was that there was no entree. The corn was the main the entire time!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

When I was a kid, I went over to a friend’s house for dinner that was simple Kraft mac & cheese. There was no milk or butter obviously added to mix the cheese in; it was just the powder mixed in with the al dente macaroni. Also, they added salt. Completely inedible to me.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Paper Tiger posted:

Someone ought to mail the culprit an adult diaper full of poo poo, in a box labelled 'Cake'.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

Went to a wedding, reception was at a golf course, seemed nice but not outlandish. Food options on the invite were Beef, Chicken, or Veggie. I am a pescataeian, so I got the veggies. The veggie entree was roasted carrots and hummus. Just absolutely insulting to vegetarians.

:confused:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

I have not tried this particular combination, but I don't think the sweetness of roasted carrots would pair well with hummus. its a super low effort "idk what the gently caress vegetarian types eat so I'm going to slap two things together and call it a day" kind of plate. why no pita or naan bread or something with the hummus? why only one kind of vegetable?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Revins posted:

I have not tried this particular combination, but I don't think the sweetness of roasted carrots would pair well with hummus. its a super low effort "idk what the gently caress vegetarian types eat so I'm going to slap two things together and call it a day" kind of plate. why no pita or naan bread or something with the hummus? why only one kind of vegetable?

I mean it is absolutely a "don't go to a hardware store to buy milk" situation but it's fair to recognize that the milk you get from a hardware store is pretty bad.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
so don't eat anything if you're veg and are at a wedding reception at a country club is your stance then?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Revins posted:

A low-effort snack of mine is dipping baby carrots in hummus. Dunno how roasted carrots would pair with hummus, but I’m sure there’s not much difference :shrug:

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Revins posted:

so don't eat anything if you're veg and are at a wedding reception at a country club is your stance then?

"Understand you are going to get an insultingly bad meal if you are veg at a country club" is my stance.

I mean, unless you are rich and influential enough to join as a vegetarian member and reshape their menu.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Depending on how roasted the carrots are I can imagine a gnarly melange of mush on mush.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Literally A Person posted:

Depending on how roasted the carrots are I can imagine a gnarly melange of mush on mush.

Knowing country clubs they were roasted and then steamed, so extremely mushy.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Speleothing posted:

She reheated it by putting it in the blender and letting the blender run until it was warm, instead of just microwaving a bowl.

Amazing

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
"dark julius... strange, painful julius"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Speleothing posted:

I've got two fairly recent ones:

Went to my gf's house for lunch while she was WFH and she served me a squash soup that was a bland orange liquid. Didn't even taste like there was salt, just a can of pumpkin mixed with water. She reheated it by putting it in the blender and letting the blender run until it was warm, instead of just microwaving a bowl.

Went to a wedding, reception was at a golf course, seemed nice but not outlandish. Food options on the invite were Beef, Chicken, or Veggie. I am a pescataeian, so I got the veggies. The veggie entree was roasted carrots and hummus. Just absolutely insulting to vegetarians.

You deserved this

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Paper Tiger posted:

Why didn't you just ask for the food you wanted you stupid bastard

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

2nd Amendment posted:

My Iranian neighbors who I'd never really spoken to invited me over for dinner. I'd never had arab food and I was excited. They were real assholes though and gave me a bunch of burnt rice. loving assholes. This was shortly after 9/11 so tensions were high.

Lol gently caress off with whatever this gimmick is

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

cock, but like a relatively small flaccid one, very disappointing

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Literally A Person posted:

One time a :airquote: friend :airquote: served up enchiladas made with cream of mushroom soup. Just a grey slime covered tube of a single texture gooshing unpleasant mushroom taste as you bite into. Completey inedible. This is after a solid week of this lady talking up her BEST IN THE WORLD enchiladas. I knew the lady wasn't a great cook but come the hell on. It was like eating grey eggroll that you dip into a big glass of mushroom milk between every bite. Blasphemous rear end enchilada.

How about you goons?

I would have eaten it greedily

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't even remember what she served us but when I was a kid in elementary school one of my friends mom only served raw food and it was ghastly. Their kids would beg to stay over at our house just to get away from it

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can't even remember what she served us but when I was a kid in elementary school one of my friends mom only served raw food and it was ghastly. Their kids would beg to stay over at our house just to get away from it

EAT THE ALMOND PASTE

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The most egregious thing I've been served is nothing. Had to stay the night at my weird religious aunts house because we were attending a family wedding in their weird religious small town. They went out and got some Amish noodles and chicken from a local takeaway and brought us nothing. They sat down at the table in front of us and ate their individual servings and offered us nothing and by the time we realised what was happening and that they had just excluded us from dinner, it was too late. Small town and everything was closed. We had to drive like 10 miles to McDonald's.

It was bizarre.

While part of me realizes we had wrongly assumed they would feed us, and that that's on us, my own mother had hosted them at ours for nearly every single holiday for the last 10 years. She would cook for days and they typically contributed nothing. You think they couldve dropped the 15 bucks on a few more bowls of cheap noodles.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Poohs Packin posted:

Lol gently caress off with whatever this gimmick is

If you don't think someone being wrong about everything is funny, buddy, they won't let me gently caress the flag.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Speleothing posted:

Right? At first I thought it was some kind of special blender with a heating element, but she was for real just letting the motor heat like a liter of leftover soup.

That's an advertised feature of vitamixes, never understood why hearing damage is preferable to turning on a stove though. I guess you can blend and soupinate at the same time?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Poohs Packin posted:

The most egregious thing I've been served is nothing. Had to stay the night at my weird religious aunts house because we were attending a family wedding in their weird religious small town. They went out and got some Amish noodles and chicken from a local takeaway and brought us nothing. They sat down at the table in front of us and ate their individual servings and offered us nothing and by the time we realised what was happening and that they had just excluded us from dinner, it was too late. Small town and everything was closed. We had to drive like 10 miles to McDonald's.

It was bizarre.

While part of me realizes we had wrongly assumed they would feed us, and th at that's on us, my own mother had hosted them at ours for nearly every single holiday for the last 10 years. She would cook for days and they typically contributed nothing. You think they couldve dropped the 15 bucks on a few more bowls of cheap noodles.

Were they Swedish?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Thundercracker posted:

Were they Swedish?

Deep cut

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
this thread makes me angrier than the trump thread

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Thundercracker posted:

Were they Swedish?

They are from Indiana. But ive heard this about Swedes and was scandalised.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I was hanging out with a friend and he asked if I wanted to grill some steaks. So we put some strips on the grill but he didnt season them at all, not even with salt and pepper, and as he served them I asked "Not even a little salt...?" and he replied that he liked the taste of the meat.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
he was white

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Poohs Packin posted:

It was bizarre.

While part of me realizes we had wrongly assumed they would feed us, and that that's on us, my own mother had hosted them at ours for nearly every single holiday for the last 10 years. She would cook for days and they typically contributed nothing. You think they couldve dropped the 15 bucks on a few more bowls of cheap noodles.

Actually that reminded me, my best friend in part of highschool was Vietnamese and his parents just never had food so if I'd stay over at either of their houses (they were divorced) there was just a big basket full of rice we would eat out of. I don't know how Tim didn't die because there was no food anywhere. I'd come home after a weekend with him and I'd lose like 5 lbs and I only weighed like 135lbs at the time

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Buschmaki posted:

I was hanging out with a friend and he asked if I wanted to grill some steaks. So we put some strips on the grill but he didnt season them at all, not even with salt and pepper, and as he served them I asked "Not even a little salt...?" and he replied that he liked the taste of the meat.

This just seems like an arrogant person who never learned how to cook doubling down on their own ignorance. I couldn't have let that slide.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's bullshit. It takes like 10 seconds to just put some salt and pepper on a steak that dude just doesn't know what he's doing

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

edit i'm dumb

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
In elementary school I stayed the night at a friend's house. Dinner was spaghetti with boiled hot dogs, chopped, and topped with ketchup. Dessert was a slice of buttered wonder bread sprinkled with sugar. Turns out his family was poor so this was a pretty normal dinner for them. Seemed strange to me at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
A sandwich made of tatar sauce, a thick slice of brick cheese (probably velveeta) on lovely crumbly white bread.

I ate too slowly because it was gross af and ended with a wet Velveeta brick with some bread crumbs and globs attached.

Deki fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 11, 2022