Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Poohs Packin posted:

This just seems like an arrogant person who never learned how to cook doubling down on their own ignorance. I couldn't have let that slide.

It was exactly this, next time I put my foot down on the "basic seasonings" and it was a life changing experience for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Spaghetti that didn't seem like it was strained. It was like a soup.

I also grew up without salt.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Roadside lizard.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Half a raw chicken breast, half a piece of raw bacon, and mixed greens. I was promised, and I quote, a "feast"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DONKEY SALAMI posted:

Roadside lizard.

Was it already cooked by the sun

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I also grew up without salt and pepper. You kind of adjust to the level you eat, so it didn't seem weird or bad at all growing up. I definitely in my early 20s justified it as "I just want to taste what I'm eating, not the seasonings." Tbh the main reason I adjusted to use salt myself was just to be normal.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Almost everyone I've dated has been good cooks but I guess there was the time my partners weed dealer sold us edibles that were made out of capn crunch instead of rice krispies. The horror!

No, it was the time I went over to the in laws for fish tacos and we got fish sticks in tortillas with taco fixings. I said nothing because I didn't know if it was their family tradition or whatever to serve them wrong like that but when we left they were also fucken like what the hell was that? Wouldn't ever try that again. Fish sticks belong as their own sad, shameful dish.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Let me tell you about andre.

Super close friend of mine who we all love. I've been a professional chef most of my adult life and lived in a house with some really great cooks who loved to host people. Andre is not one of these great cooks. He's made some interesting efforts though.

Effort #1: "apple bacon" - im not sure what spawned the idea that apples and bacon should be cooked together, but andre excitedly prepared this ill-informed and soggy dish for a football game brunch. It was undercooked bacon and overcooked soggy apples. It was gross.

Effort #2: "Turkey and spinach soup". This wasn't so egregious except it was served after I showed up back at his place after we'd been partying all night. It had been in a slow cooker for THREE DAYS. Spinach turns to absolute slime in a slow cooker after 3 days and I straight up told him he was gonna kill both of us

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm mean cooking bacon with apples is a thing but not the way that dude was doing it

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

chainchompz posted:

No, it was the time I went over to the in laws for fish tacos and we got fish sticks in tortillas with taco fixings. I said nothing because I didn't know if it was their family tradition or whatever to serve them wrong like that but when we left they were also fucken like what the hell was that? Wouldn't ever try that again. Fish sticks belong as their own sad, shameful dish.

Meh, sounds like a midwest taco version of a furger, id try it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know for a fact I have eaten that before except without the taco seasoning

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
In recent memory I guess it would be the pork chops my wife’s grandma made for us.

Her side if the family has a long history of cooking meat to the point if it being practically inedible. There was a whole bunch of family visiting her grandma for the weekend and she made pork chops. I could tell just by looking at them that they were far beyond well done. Luckily it was kind of an informal dinner and my wife and I had eaten a big lunch a bit earlier, so we easily passed on the meal. Everyone else in the house was raving about the pork chops. My wife told me not to be fooled.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
When I was young a sibling make some brownies once and mistook whatever amount of salt was required as tablespoon instead of teaspoon and they were the most awful thing the family ate that all desserts for the next decade didn't have salt added which was a weird hangup.

Made rice for my Asian gf the way my family taught me which was basically a paltry 70g of bog standard white rice, add a liter of water and boil for 15 minutes, drain and serve. She couldn't hide her insulted look at the way everything had been done. She set me straight on how to prepare rice, different and better tasting rice to buy, the amount to serve and water/rice ratio and I can't deny rice is a lot, lot better now. Still trying to set my family right.

Went on an exhausting all day mountain terrain hike with 7 friends and one insisted on picking up and making a roast beef dinner when we got back to some accommodation we had rented overnight.
We sat down about 11:00pm to eat, for some gooddam reason it took 5 hours to make so everyone after the day we had was hungry, very tired and getting annoyed at how long it was taking.
The result was a soup of slimy overcooked vegetables made up mostly of spinach, with cold & grey beef cuts floating in it. Lumpy mashed potato and the dish was flavoured with cinnamon as that what was in the accommodation's cupboard. The Yorkshire puddings though we're edible so give credit there.
There was also only enough for about 5 portions and it was too late for any pubs and restaurants to still be serving. Most of us tried a few bites, grabbed some cereal instead and just went to bed. Friend has never been allowed to forget it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This one is kind of sweet because it came from a good place but it was a horrible meal.

I was living in West Africa with a host family who cooked for me every night and was having a hard time keeping on weight. One of our programs liaisons mentioned the medical team was concerned and asked what I typically like to eat.

I said I wasn't fussy but I love pasta. That night my very proud host mother brought me a pot containing my dinner. She told me it was spaghetti in her very limited French.

I opened the lid and it was spaghetti, swimming in red palm oil, with five or six dried fish heads staring back at me.

Now, I already was feeling super weird about the level of hospitality I was being offered as a foreigner and really really didn't want to be impolite so I muscled as much down as I could. It was a ton of food. Probably a whole kilo of dried spaghetti, probably a full cup of palm oil.

I woke up outside in my mosquito net and couldn't move. Any bend of the torso made my butthole sweat. I managed to roll towards the outdoor latrine and walk my hands up the side to get myself vertical without bending, waddled over to the hole and unleashed an unholy torrent of high pressure liquid poo poo. It was the middle of the night so I deliriously tried to clean up but eventually passed back out, exhausted.

When I woke I was mega embarrassed to find out my host sister had cleaned out the latrine already as she was typically up at 4am grabbing water. God bless those people.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

The one time I ate at my childhood best friend's house they had put macaroni in mashed potatoes. Somehow the combination of two completely common food item mixed together was too powerfully weird for me, and I never wanted to eat at their place ever again. It's been like 25 years now and I'm still puzzled about it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My mother used to make red beans and rice. Cook some instant rice and then combine that with a raw chopped onion, a can of kidney beans, and some chopped up oscar meyer weiners. Warm that mess on a stovetop and then put it in a bowl. If you're wondering whether the onion became cooked, it often did not. She made this all the time because she thought it was my favorite meal; it was actually the meal least likely to make me wretch.

Went to Thanksgiving at my grandparents one year and they had cooked a ham. No turkey.

At work one year we had a catered "Thanksgiving Lunch". It was 3 different trays of extremely dry turkey and a bag of rolls from the bread aisle at the grocery store.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I have both been served this as a guest and had this made in my house by her as a guest for Thanksgiving.

My grandmother is in her mid-80's and is from Dayton, Ohio. This is how she made "dressing" when she cooked for Thanksgiving.

You buy a bag of wonderbread, celery, carrots, and a white onion. Do not season anything. Boil the vegetables until they are clear, dump the "stock" out but save a cup.
Dump chicken broth in a bowl and soak then squeeze out the wonderbread.
Mix the vegetables into the bread with the cup of thin veggie stock?, fit it all into a casserole dish after adding exactly 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.

The last time I ate it to humor her was in my early 20's and I couldn't do it anymore.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

QuarkJets posted:

Went to Thanksgiving at my grandparents one year and they had cooked a ham. No turkey.

Out of everything in this thread, that sounds kind of benign. Culturally a bit unusual, I guess, but if they just didn't want to deal with turkey that year ... more power to them, I guess? :shrug:

Was the ham any good?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

MrQwerty posted:

I have both been served this as a guest and had this made in my house by her as a guest for Thanksgiving.

My grandmother is in her mid-80's and is from Dayton, Ohio. This is how she made "dressing" when she cooked for Thanksgiving.

You buy a bag of wonderbread, celery, carrots, and a white onion. Do not season anything. Boil the vegetables until they are clear, dump the "stock" out but save a cup.
Dump chicken broth in a bowl and soak then squeeze out the wonderbread.
Mix the vegetables into the bread with the cup of thin veggie stock?, fit it all into a casserole dish after adding exactly 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.

The last time I ate it to humor her was in my early 20's and I couldn't do it anymore.

Add some sausage and that's about how every person older than 60 makes stuffing (stuffed inside) or dressing (dressed up outside the bird in a separate dish)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I love dressing but stuffing is slimy trash for idiots

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

500excf type r posted:

Add some sausage and that's about how every person older than 60 makes stuffing (stuffed inside) or dressing (dressed up outside the bird in a separate dish)

Yeah was gonna say she's missing some steps but she's pretty close

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Literally A Person posted:

One time a :airquote: friend :airquote: served up enchiladas made with cream of mushroom soup. Just a grey slime covered tube of a single texture gooshing unpleasant mushroom taste as you bite into. Completey inedible. This is after a solid week of this lady talking up her BEST IN THE WORLD enchiladas. I knew the lady wasn't a great cook but come the hell on. It was like eating grey eggroll that you dip into a big glass of mushroom milk between every bite. Blasphemous rear end enchilada.

How about you goons?

I sometimes make chicken "enchiladas" that use shredded chicken mixed with cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and enchilada sauce; wrapped in corn tortillas and baked. I would never though, try to pass them off as authentic or the best in the world. It's more like a enchilada casserole or hot dish than anything. Lol at using cream of mushroom soup, though.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I once remember as a kid having grape jelly and meatballs somewhere and no, no. It was like unnaturally metallic sweetness but with meat.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

chainchompz posted:

Almost everyone I've dated has been good cooks but I guess there was the time my partners weed dealer sold us edibles that were made out of capn crunch instead of rice krispies. The horror!

Fish sticks can he used to make a reasonable quick and easy facsimile of a fish taco if you shred them and use seasonings and make a sauce but I'm pretty sure that's not what was happening and I'm lolling at the idea of sticking a sad looking whole fish stick into a tortilla as a meal.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

500excf type r posted:

Poohs Packin posted:

Yeah was gonna say she's missing some steps but she's pretty close

Yeah, and I'm very used to midwestern/boomer cooking, but I grew up in New Mexico and I just can't deal

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I got sent off to bible camp once as a kid and one of the meals they served us for lunch was a paper plate with diced watermelon and onion on it,
Another time I was invited to one of my cousins weddings and at the reception I was assigned to the kids table and given a plate of potato smiles, I was 18 at the time.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Yeah this is how my grandma does it only she adds a cup of melted butter instead of the vegetable stock, so it's actually edible.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

coldpudding posted:

I got sent off to bible camp once as a kid and one of the meals they served us for lunch was a paper plate with diced watermelon and onion on it,
Another time I was invited to one of my cousins weddings and at the reception I was assigned to the kids table and given a plate of potato smiles, I was 18 at the time.

potato...smiles?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Raw fish on rice, wrapped in some sort of crunchy black leaf.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

AKZ posted:

potato...smiles?

kids food, think of a soggy tater tot the size and shape of a burger patty with holes punched into it to give it a smiley face, it's usually served with copious amounts of ketchup.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Potato smiles are yummy out of a deep fryer. Not what I'd expect at a wedding though.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

I used to live with a guy that loves to cook. Problem is there were only two things he would cook reliably, then everything else was some sort of experiment. I came home one day and he made stuffed peppers but they were stuffed Fresno peppers. Now we were all pretty poor at that point so definitely if there was food we needed to eat it. But it was so doggone spicy it made us all cry. There were so many of them. He got like 2lbs at the food bank and made them all into stuffed peppers... So many of them...

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Oatmeal.

When I pass out at a party held by a friend of a friend of a friend I expect a full english in the morning, motherfucker

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

If you’re having a barbecue and you crack out the box of Flanders hamburger patties or Bubba Burgers or other horrible pre-made burgs please reconsider. Cow hearts, onion meal and soy are not delicious.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

coldpudding posted:

kids food, think of a soggy tater tot the size and shape of a burger patty with holes punched into it to give it a smiley face, it's usually served with copious amounts of ketchup.

Huh, never ran across those. Thanks for describing.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I sometimes make chicken "enchiladas" that use shredded chicken mixed with cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and enchilada sauce; wrapped in corn tortillas and baked. I would never though, try to pass them off as authentic or the best in the world. It's more like a enchilada casserole or hot dish than anything. Lol at using cream of mushroom soup, though.

That sounds delicious to me and I don't care how authentic it is

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Icochet posted:

Oatmeal.

When I pass out at a party held by a friend of a friend of a friend I expect a full english in the morning, motherfucker

My breakfast at a house party where I stayed up late making food for everyone was a punk kid carrying water in his hands and pouring it on my face

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
To be fair he was shanghaied in his sleep to the loving Elan school cult stuff and it took him like a solid year to recover from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Szyznyk posted:

If you’re having a barbecue and you crack out the box of Flanders hamburger patties or Bubba Burgers or other horrible pre-made burgs please reconsider. Cow hearts, onion meal and soy are not delicious.

Bubba’s are ok. I keep a box on hand for the kid.