Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'm currently working in a mix of disability advocacy and youth outreach, but often feeling a bit overmatched by the problems I'm tripping into on a weekly basis. I'm considering applying for a Masters in Social Work to make myself more employable, but other than a vague sense that it might equip me with more local resources (and maybe counselling skills) I'm not sure if it's worth the effort and expense. I know I'd never make mad money as a social worker, but it seems like there's a lot more jobs there, especially for people with backgrounds in specific areas like disability.

So, any Social Workers or other social service workers want to weigh in?

I'd also love to hear your work stories, if you can share any without breaking confidentiality laws. A lot of bananas stuff happens out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I worked in a vocational rehabilitation capacity as a counselor providing 1-1 sessions for 4 years, without a masters. My notes, strategies and plans had to be reviewed and signed off on by the state licensed MSW. This was for a largish company specifically focused on brain/neck injury rehab, and we were typically one of the ‘last’ rounds of therapies before insurance determinations that would consider long-term disability claims and such. The company was in a state that was extremely favorable (unlimited lifetime benefits) for rehab, but the laws changed for the worse, which basically ruined the company’s business model.

I helped people build skills to get back to work, explore the types of work they could do given their disabilities, help set up and prepare for interviews and for younger people, helped form conceptions of the workplace in general and broad types of career paths.

In theory it was wonderful. I had broad discretion to instruct people in any way I felt given their unique circumstances. The caseload was manageable, every client was a unique challenge, my coworkers and managers were supportive and great. I took people on real world experience building trips so they could see what construction workers, or music therapists or chefs did all day. For those that got placed or hired, I’d establish and maintain relationships with their management (to the extent the client felt comfortable) and do periodic checkups to see if everything the client was saying checked out, or focus in on areas that needed improvement.

In practice, it was pretty miserable. The vast majority of clients who were in one profession could no longer do that profession (manual labor, waitressing, retail are all physically demanding for example). Clients who were wheelchair bound had pretty narrow choices, and that’s not even considering transportation concerns. Medications often made focusing on tasks for more than a few hours impossible. Most employers don’t want to deal with disabled people, no matter how nicely they advertise these positions, and mom and pop local places are much the same, though a little better.

I had a younger client who we actually managed to land a job at a national retail chain. Day one his manager said he’s fine, but he needs to work on his hygiene. 6 months of trying every strategy everyone we knew could think of could not get this kid to shower or do his laundry, and he didn’t even think there was a problem to begin with. Most of my young people would get a job, even not at a major suckass retailer, and just immediately realize their efforts were not worth the payoff, and no amount of “skill build progression to get a better job” discussions would have any effect. They’d be back at home smoking weed and playing video games, because honestly I agree, gently caress working for min wage at Walmart.

I ended up leaving the field because I showed one young kid how to write html and we looked at job postings where an entry level person could triple my salary and said wait, why aren’t I doing that myself. 6 months later the entire company would be forced to restructure due to the insurance law changes, and id likely be unemployed.

I do still talk to my MSW friend there, and she was promoted to management and seems to be doing alright.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 12, 2022

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I realize I didn’t really address your concerns. It would be pretty dope to be one of the two people above me who has their MSW and a half dozen years in TBI experience. They could shape that area of the organizations goals around their specific rehab philosophy, pick up as many one on one clients as they wanted, and also dabble into management if they cared to.

I was very lucky to be able to do the kind of work I did with a bachelors. The coworker I mentioned who had her limited and then full license made pretty good money, and it was likely due to her picking a specialization and finding an organization she could grow into.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'm usually more comfortable being a step back from the front lines in a coordination-type role, but somehow stumbled my way into youth outreach despite lacking much experience with youth. I'm frantically reading everything I can get on helping troubled kiddos, especially books on trauma. The stakes seem much higher here than they did when I was just coordinating volunteers and dropping the ball just meant that someone might be a little miffed or need to be re-engaged.

If anyone wants an interesting read, The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog has been really insightful and is informing the way I approach kids. Pretty much every kid on our caseload has both an anxiety disorder and trauma in their backgrounds. I'm about to start working with one who is selectively mute which is going to be a challenge if they won't talk with me.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I've been a social worker for 11 years. I've worked in a variety of settings but primarily direct clinical care. I got my Master's from the University of Louisville.

My advice: avoid online programs, your practicum(s) are in many ways more important than the academic portion of the program, and do a lot of work on yourself to make sure you aren't trying to get into this field to try and overcome any past trauma/mental health issues you have experienced.

It's a great field and I don't regret getting into it but there is going to be a tsunami of need for mental health and supportive services and I anticipate a lot of people (like me) are going to leave the field soon.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Milosh posted:

It's a great field and I don't regret getting into it but there is going to be a tsunami of need for mental health and supportive services and I anticipate a lot of people (like me) are going to leave the field soon.

How come? Burnout?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think there's been something odd happening the last couple years

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

:iiam:

My curiousity is piqued.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I have nothing particularly educational to add but I am a student of a diploma in community services in Australia and I recently started my work experience at a very large out of home care organisation and boy did they chuck me in the deep end. I'm reading criminal records which includes nasty stuff, hearing about SA on my first day etc. Its making me already second guess working CPS and go do youth work when I graduate.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Pixelante posted:

:iiam:

My curiousity is piqued.

Pandemic.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I worked for the state of Louisiana as a case worker for the snap program for 8 years and have worked for volunteers of America for the past two as a case manager assisting homeless veterans.

I don't have a masters and honestly don't think it would makes me better at my job. Certifications could be helpful and cheaper

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've always worked frontline positions. As part of snap we also utilized by the governor for hurricane planning, evacuation, shelter and disaster-snap application reviews.

I met kids whose parents died in hurricane harvey when they were refugees in lake charles. I also worked two different hurricane evacuations within months of each other when Hurricanes Laura and delta both hit that town.

While displaced I worked dsnap hotlines on 15 hour shifts for literally months at a time. If I remember correctly between 20 and 21 I worked 6 dsnap missions.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nierbo posted:

I have nothing particularly educational to add but I am a student of a diploma in community services in Australia and I recently started my work experience at a very large out of home care organisation and boy did they chuck me in the deep end. I'm reading criminal records which includes nasty stuff, hearing about SA on my first day etc. Its making me already second guess working CPS and go do youth work when I graduate.
I'm a Social Worker in Aus and one of my student placements was in CPS, send me a PM if you want to talk about it/debrief.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
As I said in my reply to Nierbo, I'm an Australian Social Worker currently working with palliative and end of life patients in hospital and the community. I've previously worked in homelessness, community aid, grant writing, CPS, local government and community development. I graduated in 2019, happy to answer any questions people may have.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I am in my 16th year with about half of it spent as an ER social worker. Anyone considering a career in the field should have an MSW, no question. As someone said above, avoid online programs if possible. There is money to be made at the master's level, especially in health care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

meatpath posted:

Anyone considering a career in the field should have an MSW, no question.
Not necessary in Australia thankfully!

I noticed MSW is basically a minimum requirement in the USA