Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you?
SUPER!
Looks fun
eh
View Results

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Ornery and Hornery posted:

So it’s only 2 factions?

So far, but they said there might eventually even be 4 (or more).

Its not even alpha quality phase yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2csMiTFl8k

Game is still pre-alpha, cool new melee terran unit

Gameplay reveal June 11th 10pm CEST
youtube.com/pcgamer

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 29, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/day9tv/status/1667622662103760898

Tomorrow finally gameplay footage.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq4M38TychE

Ok I'm hyped.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Between the wind up time and the low damage output the mechs with the miniguns seem insanely weak. The artillery damage is also pretty weak considering you have like one and a half seconds to dodge their shots entirely. They seem like they're designed to take down clustered swarms of weak enemies like the marine rush shown in the video but they just completely fold to it instead.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I really hope that SG is going to be good, but i fear that SC2 set the bar too high

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
sc2's backend was very good but a ton of the balancing and unit design left a ton of room for improvement and a huge amount of the entire time the game was played competitively the meta was warped around boring af free auto spawned units. idk there's a ton of room to do the rts part better and I don't say that to poo poo on sc2 or anything. one of the biggest question is just how good they can get their engine/ai/pathing/netcode etc. feeling

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Stormgate has the SC2 backend/pathing guy so I’m not worried about that. The clips so far look more like Warcraft than StarCraft but I’ll play the hell out of whatever they release.

SC2’s problem is that they solved balance problems with splash damage, which, combined with SC2’s pathing causing armies to ball up means that half your army could instantly be deleted. It made for fun pro games because pros were really good at micro but for your average gamer it is very stressful.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I'm seeing some of the released video compared to warcraft 3 and I never played that game. What's day/night and creeps? We're those popular aspects of that game? Sc2 is my main reference.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

PlesantDilemma posted:

I'm seeing some of the released video compared to warcraft 3 and I never played that game. What's day/night and creeps? We're those popular aspects of that game? Sc2 is my main reference.

Creeps were neutral mobs that were placed around the maps. They were an early source of money, and more importantly, exp and items for your heroes. Stronger groups also guarded expansion bases or other points of interest like neutral shops or other resources. War3 also had a day/night cycle, and at night most creeps would sleep so you could move past them and I think use shops or whatever that they were guarding.

They were a huge part of the early game at least.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

AutismVaccine posted:

I really hope that SG is going to be good, but i fear that SC2 Broodwar set the bar too high

sirtommygunn posted:

Between the wind up time and the low damage output the mechs with the miniguns seem insanely weak. The artillery damage is also pretty weak considering you have like one and a half seconds to dodge their shots entirely. They seem like they're designed to take down clustered swarms of weak enemies like the marine rush shown in the video but they just completely fold to it instead.

This is still pre-alpha level gameplay/balance

Anyone remember how lovely balance was in SC2 in 2010? I think this video shows potential for a great game.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The hard part is making the actual game, adjusting how much damage something does and how fast it fires is relatively easy, they've got a bunch of professional RTS players standing in line to help them.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Oasx posted:

The hard part is making the actual game, adjusting how much damage something does and how fast it fires is relatively easy, they've got a bunch of professional RTS players standing in line to help them.

Imo the hard part is deciding what kind of game they are gonna make to get enough sales.

Pureblood 1v1 RTS seems kinda dead, so leaning into kind of Warcraft IV isnt the worst idea.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Those tanks were being used like siege tanks in SC2.

The real utility seems to be in area denial via a stacking of that AoE ground effect.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Closed pre-alpha testing has started. Unfortunately NDA is strict so people in it can't really do more than just say they're in it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

gently caress this poo poo, I didn't get an invite. I even signed up with multiple email addresses. :(

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

No invite. I'm the hugest fan of theirs and they disrespected me like this. Utter disappointment. :ohdear:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I have bought literally every single Frost Giant game and yet no invite. Disappointing!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

I have bought literally every single Frost Giant game and yet no invite. Disappointing!

yeah this is how they treat us, their most loyal customers??

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

What a bunch of losers. I got 10 invite codes for every one of their games I purchased.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6vnBIaKYPk

The "Infernal host" faction got a little video the other day. The "shroud" wasn't explained much, but sounds like Zerg creep from Starcraft, so I'm curious if you can chain together shrouds like creep spread.

Also the "brute" showed that it can transform into what looks like two "fiends".

->

I've been looking at the 2nd shot, and is it showing that the two fiends have one health bar? There are two bars above three units, right?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe the other doesn't have a health bar because it's full health? The marine in the first shot doesn't have a health bar either

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x57ApUc7CO4

A little update on the beta process.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I like that the very first build order published is that of a cannon rush

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stormgate/stormgate?ref=e5t005
They are starting a Kickstarter, for a free game... I guess you get toys of the in-game units.

e: Oh, you pay to join the Beta

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 1, 2023

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Seems sketchy that they're taking money for a game they've barely showed in a way you can't refund.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Trillhouse posted:

Seems sketchy that they're taking money for a game they've barely showed in a way you can't refund.

We've seen much more from Stormgate than most gaming kickstarters.
I agree that it seems odd that they are just randomly springing a kickstarter on us for a game that seemed to be fully funded, but even before launch, I would say that everyone who backs the campaign knows exactly what they are getting into.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

There will apparently be showmatches at Dreamhack Austin this month!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Trillhouse posted:

Yeah, early access stuff is stupid. But it's the world we live in because people cheer the scam. :shrug:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah if you can get X% of your revenue completely independent of the quality of the finished product gently caress it why wouldn't you

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Synastren posted:

There will apparently be showmatches at Dreamhack Austin this month!

https://twitter.com/PlayStormgate/status/1731865256127762556

I'm all in for this! I wonder if this means they will announce their third race at this event?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The kickstarter is live, and they have almost reached their goal already: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stormgate/stormgate

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

$1000: Name a unit in the game, 300 spots

$2000: Become an NPC in the game

$5000: You get a plaque

This is extremely gross even by kickstarter standards. Can't wait to hit the mission in campaign 1 where all the backer named npcs get hit by a nuclear missile within 10 seconds.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

sirtommygunn posted:

$1000: Name a unit in the game, 300 spots

$2000: Become an NPC in the game

$5000: You get a plaque

This is extremely gross even by kickstarter standards. Can't wait to hit the mission in campaign 1 where all the backer named npcs get hit by a nuclear missile within 10 seconds.

Well, not extremely gross, its just for die hard fans, and everyone knows the game is going to be free. There is no gambling or loot boxes or whatever at least.

Naming of in game stuff is really dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoH0KNeVOjo
Its official that the third fraction will be in the game before release.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I really hope there is strong editing on the names of NPCs and units so we don't have *69nword69* _-<PoopFeast420>-_ .,;:VoidPhallus:;,. as in game units

:lol::lol::lol:
upgrade your sYnAstrEn's speed upgrade at the Armory so that you can kill the **69Herstory420** units faster

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 5, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it reminds me of when i played bloodstained (the spiritual successor to castlevania) and there were just all of these portraits in the game of people who looked like goons who clearly whaled on the kickstarter donation. not a bad word about a single one of them, it's just that it's a bit weird when donation tiers like that affect the game so visibly

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's extra weird if we believe their claims that the Kickstarter campaign was not necessary for funding but instead their idea to combine marketing push and a way to allow people to purchase collector's editions (by giving them an easy print run target rather than having to estimate without solid data presumably). Why on earth would you fill your game with nonsense supporter names and even characters if you don't need it to fund your game?

Granted it's unlikely to be as much of an issue as in more character-driven games like Bloodstained or the original Pillars of Eternity (where it was quite bad), but still. How are they even gonna do 300 named units?

The worst thing is it looks like they could easily blow their targets out of the water even without this. Just pointless nonsense making a game marginally worse for no reason.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 5, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Just give every single unit a "name" like in Wargame where each of your troops has its own name, like theyre a person, ez. And those names are crowdsourced and edited.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Just give every single unit a "name" like in Wargame where each of your troops has its own name, like theyre a person, ez. And those names are crowdsourced and edited.

Having looked at promo gameplay I am not convinced unit survivability can be measured in an amount of time where this makes a lot of sense. Like it would probably only amount to cluttering the unit cards and making them less readable if I had to guess, as your not-a-marine spawns from the not-a-barracks and is mowed down by something 23 seconds later after 1.3 seconds of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Kickstarter is about to hit $500,000, dang