Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you?
SUPER!
Looks fun
eh
View Results

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Naming 300 units seems silly but not too hard a problem, just give inconsequential names to grunts that only show up when you click on them. Starcraft units had ranks that you could find if you cared to.

The tier where up to 300 campaign NPCs get named, harder to imagine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
probably less than ideal for an rts game that twitch korea is shutting down february next year, just as the game is picking up (because the government axed net neutrality and drove up isp fees)

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1732658717076647941

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
What the gently caress, S.Korea

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I forget what you call it, "protectionism"? I think they are only charging the fees to non-S.K. companies. You can still watch plenty of streamers on AfreecaTV

Even before this I didn't think any RTS would ever get to be even half as popular as Brood War in SK. Starcraft 2 has been practically dead there for years.

Sucks

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Has it been said if the game will come out for Mac as well?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I dropped 60 on the kickstarter because IM AN IDIOT

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I dropped 60 on the kickstarter because IM AN IDIOT

me 2 ;(

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
starving for that starcraft-like RTS gameplay in this modern era, it sure is mighty tempting.

They announced showmatches at Dreamhack Atlanta this Sunday and it's got me kinda excited. I haven't watched SC2 since like 2012 but that was like the pinnacle of watching esports to me followed by CSGO in the following era.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF_wsz6vMJw

Just watched the first game, game play looks good.

e: youtube video is better.

The observer interface is definitely still being worked on, no supply being shown, and the camera showing the players is often covering up the game play.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 17, 2023

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Fozzy The Bear posted:

The observer interface is definitely still being worked on, no supply being shown, and the camera showing the players is often covering up the game play.

Big early StarCraft vibes with that obs interface

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I liked what I saw. I'm happy I didn't see any dropship micro or busywork macro mechanics. It also seems like there won't be any caster units (which I consider a positive). Instead there's just global powers.

The warcraft 3 stuff like creep camps and trees (that aren't a resource, just a removable terrain feature) feel like good RTS features to lift. On the observer end, I think the creep camps will really help the early game by not having to endlessly watch reapers, zerglings, and adepts/oracles run around doing the same song and dance every game.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/Frost_Giant/status/1745637929920397783

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
EGC Stormgate Open, sounds pretty cool. I had to google EGC, seems they are a site that mostly covers Age of Empires games. Anyone familiar with EGC from that? They have their own writeup on the event.

quote:

The early rounds will take place on February 10-11.
The final rounds will take place on February 17-18.
Participation in the event is open to the public.
SC2 players participating in IEM Katowice are eligible to participate.
We will seek to involve competitors from a variety of RTS games.
Much of the event will be open to community casters for broadcasting.

Tournament before public beta, could be a lot of players that only know how to cheese :dance:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Cautiously excited for this since there's a lot of SC2 people with various knowledge base and solid plans for co-op.

Like some have already said, the co-op was my favorite part of SC2

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

A few days late but

https://stormgatehub.com/stormgate-campaign-length-format-price-revealed/

10 dollars for 3 missions in each pack

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
seems a bit expensive NGL but I will probably give the first one a try

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So it looks like 18 missions for 60$ and 9 for 30$?

To compare them to the products they're selling themselves as inspired by.

For 60$:
Starcraft - 30 missions
Reign of Chaos - 38 missions
Wings of Liberty - 29 missions
Heart of The Swarm - 20 missions
Legacy of the Void - 25 missions

For 30$:
Brood War - 26 missions
Frozen Throne - 23 missions + the orc campaign

That is uh.... not a very favorable comparison.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I suppose the maps might be bigger in a way that compensates for the lower map count ala fire emblem 4 compared to the rest of the series.

The big buzzkill for me here is that I liked a lot of the out of mission progression in Wings, and if the campaigns are a measly three missions long, that's pretty much out the window.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Not the worst thing considering that they've confirmed achievements and unlocks will be a thing (also the campaigns are going to be co-op-able) so there's some potential replayability for value add. There's also future plans to only require one player in a group to own the campaign for co-op. However...

FoolyCharged posted:

The big buzzkill for me here is that I liked a lot of the out of mission progression in Wings, and if the campaigns are a measly three missions long, that's pretty much out the window.

I think that's a really valid concern. One of things I really enjoyed about the Heart of the Swarm campaign was customizing the zerg army. I don't see a complex system like that existing with how they've decided to break things up into chapters and such.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Not thrilled about how the campaign (yet? idk) but I am super excited for the beta

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm only going to be playing 1v1 and Co-op, so I don't care about campaign other than to draw people into the game to grow the multiplayer base.

When I play single player games, I want to go through the game and complete it. It looks like Frost Giant is going to be releasing 3 mission packs every month or two. For the people who only play campaign, they are going to have to leave the game installed and go back to it every few months when new content is released.

Its like when a TV show has a 2 year break in between seasons. I lose interest, forget what was happening in the story, and I am less likely to watch.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm only going to be playing 1v1 and Co-op, so I don't care about campaign other than to draw people into the game to grow the multiplayer base.

When I play single player games, I want to go through the game and complete it. It looks like Frost Giant is going to be releasing 3 mission packs every month or two. For the people who only play campaign, they are going to have to leave the game installed and go back to it every few months when new content is released.

Its like when a TV show has a 2 year break in between seasons. I lose interest, forget what was happening in the story, and I am less likely to watch.

I'm not sure those timelines are similar

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed SC2 co-op because they were like bite sized coop missions with a level up system. Mission variety was pretty repetitive but it was fun.

It's kinda hazy not but I wasn't fond of Red Alert 3's cooperative designed campaign missions. I don't remember much of it anymore though, but just that I wasn't a big fan of it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

:siren: installing Stormgate :siren:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Unsurprisingly for the first day of beta access, it's unstable right now. Tried coop and one player got disconnected within seconds. After about 10 minutes it gave me a pop up saying the match had been terminated, but it let us keep playing for another 10 minutes before abruptly stopping.

There doesn't seem to be a way to revive heroes right now so be sure you don't lose them. Don't bet on leveling them either, when I got disconnected my guy was only like 1/5 of the way to level 2 and we'd destroyed 3/5 enemy bases. I really hated how often a talking head would pop up to tell you what to do or say something "funny" in sc2 and for some reason it's even worse here. I really hope they listen when I tell them to use non-vocal cues to notify players an objective has spawned or an attack wave is coming or whatever, or at least stop trying to be funny.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

Unsurprisingly for the first day of beta access, it's unstable right now. Tried coop and one player got disconnected within seconds. After about 10 minutes it gave me a pop up saying the match had been terminated, but it let us keep playing for another 10 minutes before abruptly stopping.

There doesn't seem to be a way to revive heroes right now so be sure you don't lose them. Don't bet on leveling them either, when I got disconnected my guy was only like 1/5 of the way to level 2 and we'd destroyed 3/5 enemy bases. I really hated how often a talking head would pop up to tell you what to do or say something "funny" in sc2 and for some reason it's even worse here. I really hope they listen when I tell them to use non-vocal cues to notify players an objective has spawned or an attack wave is coming or whatever, or at least stop trying to be funny.

I look forward to replicating this when I play after work.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I keep pressing Starcraft Terran hotkeys by instinct but I am loving this grid hotkey system for structures, units, and upgrades.

sirtommygunn posted:

Seems stable on my end but I've only been playing against AIs so far.

quote:

Where are you encountering this?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The co-op

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Oh okay. I don't think I'll try that until Steamfest. Seems annoying though..

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I played another match and the issues I had with the hero unit seem to have been fixed, or maybe I just had a particularly hosed up first match. Looking at the meta levels for the characters it seems that anything not attached to the hero itself isn't being locked properly. Units and tech you're supposed to get as a reward are available from the start.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The scourge unit is just a blue bat that has no animation in mine lol

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

"What if SC2 co-op was its own game" is a pretty solid concept, not gonna lie.

Gave some co-op a shot and it was fun. Likely will never do 1v1.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The scourge unit is just a blue bat that has no animation in mine lol

The vanguard's scout ability just sends a dog that flies across the sky with no animations and a radar strapped to it's back lol

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Beta is open for Nextfest!

Jump on the train so all of our high expectations can fall short!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Vanguard is insanely tightly designed. All of the elements you could ever want for a simple A-Move composition lives in the bio portion: chaff, bruiser, DPS, healer. But at the same time, much of that can be countered by mech units thanks to their mobility and splash and abilities, encouraging you to tech up and build more variety.

I don't know how to feel about the lack of simple weapon/armor upgrades, though. On one hand, that simplifies things immensely. On the other hand, I feel like early units lose value as bigger and stronger things hit the field.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I feel like the tech tree is too simple for the Vanguard and I'm still wrapping my head around how the Zorg play.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I love the global build buttons. Not having to select a builder unit or building first is great. C&C had the global build menu but for some reason this feels particularly novel? Especially, with how builder units will return to work after construction completes.

I played a little co-op, I wish the "commanders" didn't need to level up for the beta (unless progress carries over?). Normal feels somewhat challenging while learning.. Positioning and good engagements seem to matter more.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

C&C's global building (or at least the old C&Cs) involved deploying buildings once their investment cost was paid, so they just popped up. This feels more novel because it actually grabs a worker unit to do the job.

I believe progress carries over, I'm reasonably certain that I recall that question being answered during the Kickstarter campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I won my first ladder game, it was fun and the game looks good so far, but I’m not really a competitive person so I will probably not play the game again until there are campaigns.