Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you?
SUPER!
Looks fun
eh
View Results

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea there’s definite risk that frost giant pursues casual play too much and you end up with a game that appeals to no one a la Heroes of the Storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

heroes of the storm was great

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
They're approaching their various "pillars" as independent-ish things, which is the right move imo.

1v1 is the first thing tested because it's the simplest mode in terms of features and content, and relies the most on fundamental mechanics. That doesn't mean it's the most favored overall. 1v1 will probably get enormously less post-release content from FG compared to coop, same as in SC2.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

grenada posted:

Yea there’s definite risk that frost giant pursues casual play too much and you end up with a game that appeals to no one a la Heroes of the Storm.

you got it backwards, heroes of the storm abandoned the casual angle for a competitive one. also heroes of the storm was good and continues to be good as a strictly ARAM-only experience

but on the topic of stormgate, they're siloing competitive and co-op off from each other almost completely, so they appeal to both audiences just fine

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Oasx posted:

Airing your Stormgate tournament during IEM Katowice doesn’t seem like like the best idea, although I’m sure that Nathanias appreciates someone hiring him again after his giant blunder.

They definitely need to improve the coloring on Infernal vs Infernal matches, it was sometimes hard to tell which player was which.

What was his giant blunder?

I just remember him slowly getting less and less work.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
dude just could not shut up. made a bunch of off color comments on stream comparing zerg players to like nazi apologists or some poo poo, picked a lot of fights with pros over really stupid stuff, then grew some incredibly regretable facial hair. idk if something was going on in his personal life or w/e, but he basically talked himself out of a career, which is ironic since his career was talking

https://twitter.com/LamboSC2/status/1221850643884843008

(expand the whole thread of replies)

or in summary,

https://x.com/PtitDrogo/status/1221853603507257344?s=20

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 11, 2024

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea nathanias is a bitter dude with a chip on his shoulder. I think he’s probably a nice dude but never able to separate his personal views/life from his casts.

There’s a bunch of really good SC2 casters but less work to go around. Pissing off the European pros was basically self immolation because SC2 pro scene is dead in NA and KR while the EU SC2 scene is very much alive and evolving.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Speaking of SC2 I remembered IEM was on and watched some today for the first time in years. Between the complete lack of Protoss, hordes of mirrors and Cyclone/Raven apparently being the hotness nowadays leading to not a single lengthy TvT (everyone loves tank wars into air deathballs!!!), it's been quite disappointing. Every set being either a clean sweep or a really quick 3-1 isn't doing it any favors either. If this is a trend in current SC2 Stormgate certainly couldn't ask for a better environment to try and steal some attention.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The closed beta period has been extended until March 11th with no NDA.

We have a mostly dead goon discord for Starcraft 2, but it can be used to talk about and organize games of ZeroSpace and Stormgate as well, for those who kickstarted it and gotten in through one of the recent waves. I'm assuming I can link to the goon sc2 discord here, if not let me know:

https://discord.gg/z5XXa95fTf

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

How am I supposed to scout as infernals? Send a worker like in SC2?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

dipwood posted:

The closed beta period has been extended until March 11th with no NDA.

We have a mostly dead goon discord for Starcraft 2, but it can be used to talk about and organize games of ZeroSpace and Stormgate as well, for those who kickstarted it and gotten in through one of the recent waves. I'm assuming I can link to the goon sc2 discord here, if not let me know:

https://discord.gg/z5XXa95fTf

As OP of the thread, I officially approve of this post, even if I don't approve of the poster.

:lol: :lol:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Mikojan posted:

How am I supposed to scout as infernals? Send a worker like in SC2?

I've seen the pro's send a slow Brute, and if it gets caught you split it into two fast lings.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

loving loved the beta. Hope the late pledge thing is soon cus I wanna keep playing.

Super interested in seeing how the game gets updated now too.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Fozzy The Bear posted:

As OP of the thread, I officially approve of this post, even if I don't approve of the poster.

This is the best post you've ever made.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

imo there's plenty of market for various rts elements and no doubt there's a way to put them together into something that would sell and be popular. idk if stormgate will pull that off but they seem to be doing some things right in that regard.

I'm personally skeptical that there's an especially big market for extremely intense 1v1 pvp rts, which isn't to say zero market for it, but I highly doubt that that is enough to financially carry the game compared to making a just generally fun to play, easy to start rts that is a really good coop or team game first.

yeah i dont think the audience for that kind of game is out there anymore, specially if you are just doing sc 2, again. not to say the game is going to be a failure or anything but i dont think the esports era of rts is ever coming back

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Ya know, it surprises me that no one has tried to make either a Majesty like or a Myth like RTS. Both have exactly half the basic starcraft formula so people could focus on the part they like.

I've never heard of Majesty, but I was deeply immersed into the multiplayer Myth scene back in the late 90s-early 2000s. From what I recall, Myth sold ok (especially given how small Bungie was at the time), but it was completely dwarfed by the sales numbers of "pure" RTS games like Command and Conquer, Total Annihilation, Starcraft, and Warcraft III. I think that encouraged publishers to stick to more "pure" RTS games instead of those which emphasized real-time tactics.

Some of the developers who worked on Myth III tried to create a spiritual successor (Deadhold) but they couldn't get enough funding to justify quitting their day jobs and pulled the plug on it. Funnily enough, I think a two-person development team later created Nordic Warriors which is a Myth-clone with a Viking twist. I played a little bit of that, but it didn't feel quite the same.

babypolis posted:

yeah i dont think the audience for that kind of game is out there anymore, specially if you are just doing sc 2, again. not to say the game is going to be a failure or anything but i dont think the esports era of rts is ever coming back

As a :sickos: who likes 1v1 multiplayer, a new SC2 that is not abandoned by the developer sounds pretty good to me, but yeah, I doubt the game will come close to the type of popularity SC2 had from 2010-2012. I think Stormgate's stated approach of having an engaging 3v3 mode and co-op along with 1v1 is probably the best one can do in an environment where RTS fandom is splintered between groups who want something competitive, something more casual, or left the genre entirely for MOBA pastures.

Mikojan posted:

loving loved the beta. Hope the late pledge thing is soon cus I wanna keep playing.

Super interested in seeing how the game gets updated now too.

Yeah I had fun with what I've been able to play so far, even in its incomplete state.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Synastren posted:

This is the best post you've ever made.

Rip Zeez

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Game made me realise how much I missed having accessibility at this level.

I'm tired of sitting in 5 minute queues and endless load screens like AOE4 or LoL. It was refreshing to be in a game, clicking on units only 30 seconds after queueing up.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Fozzy The Bear posted:

you should rejoin the discord bro

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Streebs posted:

you should rejoin the discord bro

Just did :D

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is another tournament going on, this time with some of the SC2 players from Katowice: https://twitch.tv/egctv

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
People are talking like other RTSes were successful just off of eSports when that never happened. SC2 and BW both had well regarded campaigns and big custom map scenes and team game capabilities, not just 1v1 eSports.

What Frost Giant is doing strategy-wise in terms of having different styles of play to appeal to different players isn't really new, though some of the particulars are different, like having different balance for teams vs 1v1 or starting with endless coop at launch.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As someone who plays RTS 1v1 or 1vcampaign, the co-op stuff isn't a big deal for me (thinking about it, SC2 may literally be the only multiplayer game I've ever played any decent amount of that I don't know anyone IRL who ever played) but I don't mind them spending time and resources on it if it gets interest in the game. It's smart to try and find specific audiences. My scepticism is mainly that I wonder how many people who are into co-op would get a game like Stormgate for that purpose. I feel like in SC2 many of these players were drawn in by the campaign and (theoretical, didn't amount to that much) custom game scene and then the co-op drew them in from there later when it became good for example, but maybe I am wrong.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Doublepost but I started watching the linked stream and I hope they focus a lot on the impact and feeling of combat through development going forward. I dunno what the units are called but the missiles being fired by the speedy car thing here is a great example (sorry I could not get a screen with a missile properly moving):

These missiles are Not Pleasing currently for a few different reasons:
  • They seem to fire from nowhere in particular, although I admit maybe I am just not seeing the launcher. Not the biggest issue.
  • Their movement is horrendous. Straight-line homing, unnatural and too fast IMO. It doesn't make it feel like a missile at all.
  • They don't have much if any 'oomph' on impact. This may be due to a focus on fidelity and clarity in combat, but is still unfortunate for casual players I think. Ideally having 'pro gamer' graphics settings with fewer explosions and other graphics settings with good+fun visual feedback would be cool but I dunno if they have the time/budget.
  • They make like no noise. This is the most obviously placeholder of the above issues so I am not worried about it but drat do fights in the game currently sound like nothing. Not unique to the missiles but stand out a bit since we are conditioned to 'missile = big asplody + boom'.

In comparison, the gameplay mechanics themselves looks a lot more polished.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oasx posted:

There is another tournament going on, this time with some of the SC2 players from Katowice: https://twitch.tv/egctv

They're running a 10,000$ tourney for an open beta? Jesus christ what is wrong with people?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

They're running a 10,000$ tourney for an open beta? Jesus christ what is wrong with people?

ESports brain

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
that's actually a ridiculous amount of advertising for $10,000 (though I haven't looked into who funded it so unclear if it is even frost giant funding it)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Counterpoint if it is the company doing it:

It's a beta, and that would mean the pr carries a hefty risk that what winds up being advertised is someone losing 10 grand because of a blatant bug.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

After the beta there has been a large outcry to reopen the kickstarter, so at least a large portion of players will be spending money to get access again.

The tournament was/is enjoyable to watch and high effort, and you need to dangle a carrot to get some big names actually putting in effort. 10k is nothing nowadays.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm actually kind of surprised how enjoyable stormgate is to watch for a game that is clearly extremely early in development, though half of that is probably how unsettled the meta is

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
EGC is a third party organizer, they did the same thing with AOE4 until everyone realized that aoe still sucks and the money dried up. The open bracket qualifiers for this were horrifically bad too but I'm glad at least the main event didn't suck. The qualifiers were supposed to start at 10 am my time but I stayed up way too late the night before and slept through my alarm. Imagine my shock when 4 hours after the start I'm still getting pings for round 1 losers bracket because they didn't just hand out walkovers to the no shows.

Also the legally legally distinct cyclone hedgehog just got a massive nerf+rework+new model for this build after having been super dominant before the public ever got to see the game. I agree though that they feel janky and weird right now.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

ragnarokette posted:

EGC is a third party organizer, they did the same thing with AOE4 until everyone realized that aoe still sucks and the money dried up. The open bracket qualifiers for this were horrifically bad too but I'm glad at least the main event didn't suck. The qualifiers were supposed to start at 10 am my time but I stayed up way too late the night before and slept through my alarm. Imagine my shock when 4 hours after the start I'm still getting pings for round 1 losers bracket because they didn't just hand out walkovers to the no shows.

Also the legally legally distinct cyclone hedgehog just got a massive nerf+rework+new model for this build after having been super dominant before the public ever got to see the game. I agree though that they feel janky and weird right now.

The qualifiers, and qualifiers in general, tend to be bad because of the significant skill disparity between participants. Most sets of matches are 2-0 walkovers with litttle entertainment value. Broadcasting qualifiers is bad imo, since it drags out and dilutes the event with subpar quality content.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Mikojan posted:

The qualifiers, and qualifiers in general, tend to be bad because of the significant skill disparity between participants. Most sets of matches are 2-0 walkovers with litttle entertainment value. Broadcasting qualifiers is bad imo, since it drags out and dilutes the event with subpar quality content.

I don't mean the games were poor quality, I've played in a lot of events and EGC was literally the worst run I've ever seen. I include day 0 amateur leagues in this. They didnt have a loving announcements channel so they just gave conflicted directions in a discord with 500 confused nerds trying figure out who they were playing and if they could go yet.

e: Also it should only take 15-20 minutes to start issuing walkovers, not 3-4 hours. Hupsaiya literally went to sleep on stream waiting for his to get issued.

further e because now I've made myself mad thinking about it again: They also completely hosed the brackets when they tried to split players off into pods. Some people (like Probe) got dropped entirely while others got put in multiple brackets.

ragnarokette fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 18, 2024

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

ragnarokette posted:

I don't mean the games were poor quality, I've played in a lot of events and EGC was literally the worst run I've ever seen. I include day 0 amateur leagues in this. They didnt have a loving announcements channel so they just gave conflicted directions in a discord with 500 confused nerds trying figure out who they were playing and if they could go yet.

e: Also it should only take 15-20 minutes to start issuing walkovers, not 3-4 hours. Hupsaiya literally went to sleep on stream waiting for his to get issued.

further e because now I've made myself mad thinking about it again: They also completely hosed the brackets when they tried to split players off into pods. Some people (like Probe) got dropped entirely while others got put in multiple brackets.

Thats pretty bad. The whole process is probably very rushed due to the limited beta timeframe. It's obviously just a showcase tournament, so maybe they should have just gone by invite only.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Watching EGC tournament, game isnt ready for showing imo.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Apart from a few bugs the gameplay looks pretty good I think.
It needs the third faction, better maps and a better UI, but for pre-early access that is to be expected

Oasx fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 18, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

There are a lot of good elements to it, but it's very clearly not finished.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Oasx posted:

Apart from a few bugs the gameplay looks pretty good I think.
It needs the third faction, better maps and a better UI, but for pre-early access that is to be expected

I just hope that many of the people who joined the Kickstarter know how early of a beta this truly is. I'm hoping a bunch of people don't play, get frustrated with the bugs/early balance and then never revisit the game. Or they just get bored of the game before it is even finalized.

With SC2 just two races that win (terran zerg) tournaments, and Stormgate just two races, I'm almost bored of watching (at least there is always Broodwar)

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I saw someone else post that they'd be surprised if Stormgate released in 2024. After playing the beta, I too would be surprised. I honestly think they should wait for 2025 for a full release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Played the beta for a bit, there is promise for sure but the sound felt particularly flat and i don't think the visual clarity is what it needs to be for this type of game